Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Das_Ubermike posted:

the endless chase/escape sequences.

Hissss. Who's bright idea was that, and why the hell was it a feature they kept? Was it popular - I can't imagine so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean I’ve never played either game but the chase sequences are front and center in all the trailers.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Serephina posted:

Hissss. Who's bright idea was that, and why the hell was it a feature they kept? Was it popular - I can't imagine so.

I can only assume that the design lead had a formative experience playing Aladdin on the Genesis as a child and said "Wow that was fun, but I'd like to see it done 4-5 more times in a game".

That said, most of the sequences aren't too difficult. The sand sequence sucks because the burrow ability is way harder to control than the standard platforming skills. My 39 year old reflexes managed all of the ones I've encountered so far in anywhere between 1-3 attempts. I had to stop the sand one after probably 20 failures.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Serephina posted:

They're one of the best parts of the game, so of course they're gonna keep them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The chase sequences rule.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I finished the sandworm sequence on my first try, though I did make an audible “yipe!” when its jaws snapped about half an inch from ori’s foot

ori has the best platforming controls I’ve experienced in a game outside of rayman legends so the escape sequences were always a blast

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I know we're now talking about a different game and not HK, so do tell if the derail is unwelcome.

But I was not impressed with Ori1 (I have not bought #2 yet, I hear its much better). The controls where super float-y, mitigated later on by giving you more and more silly-strong abilities, but when not spamming said abilities the controls showed through again.

The chase sequences where very cinematic and pretty, but half the time one started it would boil my blood because it was a surprise, locked the door behind you, overwrote your save file, and wouldn't let you out until you can do it all in one go with no checkpointing. The HK equivalent would be touching the dead king, and suddenly being trapped in White Palace (I think that's the names, it's been a long time). And there's like six of these mini-white-palaces scattered about, sometimes with no warning that you where about to trigger a thing. Maybe I'm just weird.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

The escape sequences in Ori 1 were incredibly effective... if you didn't struggle with them. If you did it one or two tries, they felt very engaging and intense. But the complete lack of checkpoints meant if you had trouble near the end of a sequence, having to do thing the whole thing over again got real old real fast, and it would lose all impact.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The reason I don't like the escape sequences is you don't get an opportunity to grind/change your talents if you feel stuck, which is part of what makes Metroidvanias relaxing fun for me. If they were just some triggered sequence like a boss that you could warp away from easily and wander back to when you felt like it I'd feel differently, but my understanding is you were forced to complete it by your save file as soon as you started it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

The reason I don't like the escape sequences is you don't get an opportunity to grind/change your talents if you feel stuck, which is part of what makes Metroidvanias relaxing fun for me. If they were just some triggered sequence like a boss that you could warp away from easily and wander back to when you felt like it I'd feel differently, but my understanding is you were forced to complete it by your save file as soon as you started it.

only in the original version, it was later updated to checkpoint just before the sequence started

the escapes also couldn't be really be circumvented by grinding or changing your skills, all the vital movement-based ones are plot-gated and the one that really broke people in half (the tree escape) was early enough in the game so that you wouldn't be able to grind out a triple jump or something like that

the one that gave me the most trouble was the collapsing mountain, which made exclusive use of the hover mechanic so your jumps were moot anyway

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hornet 2 is kicking my rear end in the eastern part of the map. Where do I get the ground slam to open up the mines and stuff? Or how do I get the phasing dash to get through the black gates?

I've forgotten so much from my last playthrough.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
The ground pound spell is back in the city of tears. The shadow dash is only available after you beat hornet II.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Who else got the first ending without shadow dash? I can’t be the only one.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

where do you find Hornet II? I've got all the good movement options now

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

grieving for Gandalf posted:

where do you find Hornet II? I've got all the good movement options now

Eastern-most edge of the world map.

No, keep going.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 17, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Western-most edge of the world map.

No, keep going.

West?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Western-most edge of the world map.

No, keep going.

This guy flunked cartography school.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The game was made in Australia, who knows how directions work down there. The toilets all flush in the opposite direction and poo poo!

It's on the far right side of the map, past the City of Tears. I think you need the double jump and the acid swim to get to her.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

C-Euro posted:

The game was made in Australia, who knows how directions work down there. The toilets all flush in the opposite direction and poo poo!

It's on the far right side of the map, past the City of Tears. I think you need the double jump and the acid swim to get to her.

You just need the double jump.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

The ground pound spell is back in the city of tears. The shadow dash is only available after you beat hornet II.

Ground pound isn't soul master is it? I remember hating soul sanctum and that boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ilmucche posted:

Ground pound isn't soul master is it? I remember hating soul sanctum and that boss.

lol yep

It gave me a lot of trouble my first run but if you come back to the fight after awhile you'll be surprised its not actually so bad comparatively.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

lol yep

It gave me a lot of trouble my first run but if you come back to the fight after awhile you'll be surprised its not actually so bad comparatively.

that guy took me some tries but it was a lot of fun

I came back and got the shade soul and that fight was hard until I realized the upgraded ground pound is OP

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

that guy took me some tries but it was a lot of fun

I came back and got the shade soul and that fight was hard until I realized the upgraded ground pound is OP

This is true for pretty much every fight. It's great. Insane damage plus invincibility frames.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first time through I had no trouble with Hornet II. Every subsequent replay she's been a major roadblock. I don't know what it is that I find so hard about that fight but I have a heck of a time maintaining my tactics without screwing up long enough to complete it. Don't forget you can heal during some attacks, at least with Quick Focus, but be careful trying.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Bought this game again because it was on sale for the ps4.

Decided to get all three endings in one go, and boy I'd forgotten how to fight any of these bosses without the shade cloak.
Hit my head against the watcher knights for a painfully long time before finally just going and grabbing the flukecharm.
Love to give my bug a shotgun.
At least the titular boss is still easy.

Off now, to get that cloak.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s amazing how much easier this game is when you’re replaying it. I guess spending countless hours in the pantheon of the gods really helped me master most bosses.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RCarr posted:

It’s amazing how much easier this game is when you’re replaying it. I guess spending countless hours in the pantheon of the gods really helped me master most bosses.

Getting up to a boss you remember struggling with and obliterating it shows you just how good the game's difficulty curve is.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

wyoming posted:

Bought this game again because it was on sale for the ps4.

Decided to get all three endings in one go, and boy I'd forgotten how to fight any of these bosses without the shade cloak.
Hit my head against the watcher knights for a painfully long time before finally just going and grabbing the flukecharm.
Love to give my bug a shotgun.
At least the titular boss is still easy.

Off now, to get that cloak.

It's not the Shade Cloak that locks you out of the first ending, it's the Void Heart. I mean, you probably would have liked that information sooner, sorry.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I hate this loving Hornet fight. For whatever reason I'm totally stonewalled by it, and it's not like I can go do chalice dungeons or a different branch for a while and come back gud, I'm just completely stuck and having zero fun.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

thumper57 posted:

I hate this loving Hornet fight. For whatever reason I'm totally stonewalled by it, and it's not like I can go do chalice dungeons or a different branch for a while and come back gud, I'm just completely stuck and having zero fun.

Is it the second Hornet fight? You don't need to do that one unless you're going for the Double Secret+++ Endings

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Is it the second Hornet fight? You don't need to do that one unless you're going for the Double Secret+++ Endings

I wish. Nope! First one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

thumper57 posted:

I wish. Nope! First one.

My first few tries I got too bogged down in healing and wasn't using the projectile enough, make sure you're mixing that in

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

thumper57 posted:

I wish. Nope! First one.

That's the first real difficulty spike of the game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

can you get locked out of any endings? I've seen there are multiple and I've been running around trying to do all the stuff I know about before fighting the Hollow Knight, right now working on the Grimm Troupe, although I have no idea how to access any of the rest of the DLC

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

can you get locked out of any endings? I've seen there are multiple and I've been running around trying to do all the stuff I know about before fighting the Hollow Knight, right now working on the Grimm Troupe, although I have no idea how to access any of the rest of the DLC

You can get locked out of the first "bad" ending by progressing far enough down the route for the "good" ending. There's nothing you can do to get locked out of the "good" ending.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 27, 2020

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
And there is very, very little difference between the first "bad" ending and the second "bad" ending so don't stress out about it.

For Hornet, play it slow, listen to the great song, and learn her tells. She is not aggressive unless you are--a lot of her moves are reactionary. So let her show her tell, make her move, and then punish her for it, one hit at a time. If you keep all the way across the screen from her, you can heal when she throws the needle straight at you, it won't make it all the way to you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The only ending you can lock yourself out of is the lowest-level version of the ending. If you're worried about missing it just go do the final boss now and it will put you right outside the arena when you load that save back up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bear in mind that the difference between the ending you can miss and the one that replaces it is the difference between "a door is closed" and "a door is closed, and there's a symbol on it". Nothing to worry about.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm taking advantage of lockdown to finally finish Hollow Knight... or at least get AN ending for Hollow Knight. But man, I'm running up against the Traitor Lord and I just keep fuckin' dying. I am bad at this game, but it's too charming to put down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

I'm taking advantage of lockdown to finally finish Hollow Knight... or at least get AN ending for Hollow Knight. But man, I'm running up against the Traitor Lord and I just keep fuckin' dying. I am bad at this game, but it's too charming to put down.

Good news vis a vis "the traitor lord" and "bosses you need to kill to beat the game"