Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

seiferguy posted:

How has Legend of Mana aged? It definitely had its personality but the lack of a strong plot kind of turned me away from replaying the game.

Legend of Mana was still fun for me despite not understanding several major game mechanics. Presumably you're supposed to plan where you place towns and other areas on the map so they have some sort of synergy being adjacent to one another but I just dropped them wherever they would fit and blundered through the story. There was something about golem building that I never understood or engaged with the slightest bit, as well as a similar thing with hatching friendly enemies from eggs or something like that. It still has the Mana series charm and it's worth playing through but expect to be confused by a lot of the game's systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i always figured they didn't expect anyone to understand how map placement works so people would just stumble into unique experiences with the game. it's how a lot of saga games go when you aren't following a guide and legend was made by saga people. i like that kind of thing a lot

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat this looks better than I expected I wasn't that excited for it before seeing that trailer, pretty cool how the class upgrades actually look different instead of just being palette swaps.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This was from a few days ago, but I thought class balance was actually very good, overall. Which classes did you think suffered? I certainly haven't played every class, but even the bad ones, like Duran's paladin, still have a lot to contribute (healing and a tier 3 full screen tech) to a well built team. For example, taken individually, vanadis looks bad and wanderer looks bad, but vanadis and wanderer together instantly kill every enemy except for bosses almost before they can even move. There are certainly balance problems in the game, like Kevin's tier-1 tech being far more powerful than it has any right to be, but I think every final class can do really well if it's used in the right team. Some of the tier 2 classes are clearly worse, though. Wanderer, for example, is one of my favorite designs, thematically and practically, in any class based system, but ranger is just miserable compared to ninja.

Actually, the bugs in the original mostly helped game balance. Duran's light classes got screwed, but Hawk and Kevin were already on the edge of overpowered, and if things like critical hits, dex and energy ball worked, they would be insane.

I seriously hope so, magic was so much more of a pain to use than attacking that my casters always performed way below their potential.

The original is extremely well designed - all classes are viable and can shine in certain team compositions. Besides the bugs that cause certain classes to not function as they should, I always felt that the second class change came too late to really let some of the final classes shine, especially when some tier 2 classes aren't that good.

Off the top of my head, Nightblade vs. Ninja Master - Nightblade gets the same stat downs for bosses but also poison, %HP attack, silence (which is better than magic down in situations that really need it), and a FST. Vanadis vs. Star Lancer - Vanadis buffs are 3x as expensive and full screen silence on demand is ridiculously strong. Sword Master vs. Gladiator - most of SM's kit can be replicated with market items plus Gladiator brings higher damage, an unique saber, and a FST. None of them are bad by any means and it's a testament to the design that any team composition is capable of completing the game.

This remake looks better and better with every bit of information and that's stunning considering the quality of the original.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
For Legend, land placement is only important for unlocking specific quests and all the demi-human companions.

If you want to 100% the game, this site is a good resource on where to place lands and the best order to do quests. If you don't mind missing quests, though, then do whatever, you can't lock yourself out of beating the game and there's always New Game +. Just make sure to talk to Lil Cactus after every quest, it's worth it.

You really don't have to worry about golems, crafting, or raising pets. The game's simple enough that you can just forge basic weapons and armor and use whatever pets you like best without having to feed them. There's an insane amount of depth in the gameplay, but none of it is actually necessary.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it possible to play Legend on a modern system? It’s a game I never got to play but always wanted to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it possible to play Legend on a modern system? It’s a game I never got to play but always wanted to.

It's on Playstation Classic, so if you have a PSP/Vita/PS3 gathering dust somewhere you can do it.

Or :filez:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

You really don't have to worry about golems, crafting, or raising pets. The game's simple enough that you can just forge basic weapons and armor and use whatever pets you like best without having to feed them. There's an insane amount of depth in the gameplay, but none of it is actually necessary.

Yeah I know on my first playthrough I had the barest understanding of all that stuff and was able to easily break it over my knee.

I was always sad that the difficulty modifier you can do on new game + couldn't be adjusted to have the hardest one for bosses only and the second hardest one for areas only since doing the hardest for everything just gave everything too much health.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's on Playstation Classic, so if you have a PSP/Vita/PS3 gathering dust somewhere you can do it.

Or :filez:

Yeah I have a PS3. Maybe I’ll download it one of these days.

Edit: it’s only $6, nice. How long does it take to beat generally?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Does trials still have an April 24 release date? My eshop still says TBD in the listing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kingtheninja posted:

Does trials still have an April 24 release date? My eshop still says TBD in the listing.

I have no idea why because the video trailer you can watch in the eShop has a date plastered right on the end. I think it's the 28th, though.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
The more I see of the game, the more I cant wait to play it. Though some things do bug me, namely some of the VA's.

Duran, Angela, and Hawkeye all sound great. Kevin does sound young but fits enough. Charlotte is more on the script decision than the VA. Riesz's VA is...not good. The more you see of her in dialogue the more you notice that she cant deliver emotion and stops for no reason, which is weird since in battle she's fine.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yo

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1239754583716450304?s=19

Preliminary tier 4 Class names:

Duran: Saber (light) / Berserker (dark)

Angela: Witch Queen (light) / Spellcaster (dark)

Kevin: Beast King (light) / Destroyer (dark)

Charlotte: High Priestess (Light) / Chaos Maker (Dark)

Hawkeye: Spriggan (light) / Avenger (dark)

Riesz: Meteor (light) / Hræsvelgr (dark)

Allarion fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 17, 2020

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:aaaaa:

The hell is Riesz even wearing though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some of those are okay but man they went all-in on the creep-on-a-teenage-girl factor of the game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Some of those are okay but man they went all-in on the creep-on-a-teenage-girl factor of the game.

i hate it because i've always liked lise's design for being very practical. she's supposed to contrast with angela's boob armor by being sensibly dressed

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Excuse me it has a what :aaaaa:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Allarion posted:

Yo

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1239754583716450304?s=19

Preliminary tier 4 Class names:

Duran: Saber (light) / Berserker (dark)

Angela: Witch Queen (light) / Spellcaster (dark)

Kevin: Beast King (light) / Destroyer (dark)

Charlotte: High Priestess (Light) / Chaos Maker (Dark)

Hawkeye: Spriggan (light) / Avenger (dark)

Riesz: Meteor (light) / Hræsvelgr (dark)

I wonder if you have to go dark dark or light light to access these

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lol at the game that probably needed more content not getting it and the game that doesn't really need more content getting more.

wtf wtf wtf though this is BIG I hope it's really meaty

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to run the Famitsu article through Google Translate and the last paragraph has some new info:

quote:

New element: Find cactus!

The character Cactus is familiar in the Legend of the Holy Sword series. This cactus is hidden somewhere in the world of "Holy Sword Legend 3 Trials of Mana" (50 places in total). Depending on the number you find, you can get benefits that make your adventure advantageous, so let's explore the city and the field!

Hidden Cacti!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also final trailer!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQhI6W1Vpo

All these bosses suddenly having FFXIV style mechanics has me excited

Allarion fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 17, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Didn't they say the remake added a mechanic where you can use the aesthetic of a previous class if you don't like the new one?

Because that is relevant to my interests with these 4th classes :colbert:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Dude, an extra chapter? Y'know what? gently caress yeah, it'll probably be cool.
Is that Anise in the trailer? That's some deep lore if true.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also the demo comes out on the 18th.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

DEMO?? Yeaaaaaaaaaaa

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Allarion posted:

Also final trailer!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sQhI6W1Vpo

All these bosses suddenly having FFXIV style mechanics has me excited

Oh come the gently caress on, all we get of Dangaard is the fly-in transition on Flammie? They're killing me here. :negative:

On the other hand Zable Fahr looks rad as gently caress.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
gently caress yes, Demo wednesday
gently caress yes, extra story and 4th level class

Oh no those designs aside Angela's look samey as what they already had, and what the gently caress is that Riesz outfit? It doesn't even look plausible or cool or all that hot because it looks so stupid. Everything below the breasts is a freggin disaster.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Ah other article shows off the other 6 designs.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/trials-of-mana-details-post-game-new-episode-class-04-and-lil-cactus

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh come the gently caress on, all we get of Dangaard is the fly-in transition on Flammie? They're killing me here. :negative:

It won't be a true remake unless they can replicate your allies running around in circles and dying because the AI can't figure out how to attack the boss.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Man 4th Light Riesz doesn't look much better, Design had potential but why that shade of Orange? they really dropped the ball on her.
Angela got the best of the 4th classes for sure.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Excited for more content and class changes, but ho boy these are some japan costumes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Sacrifice Part 3 loving slaps oh my God! :allears:

I wonder if the new highest tier classes combines the techniques of the ones that came before them.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kyrosiris posted:

On the other hand Zable Fahr looks rad as gently caress.
I'm more hype for Zable Fahr than even the Dragon Emperor.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Phantasium posted:

Also the demo comes out on the 18th.

gently caress yeah!!!!!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Bell_ posted:

I'm more hype for Zable Fahr than even the Dragon Emperor.

Zable Fahr and Dark Lich are the ones I'm really hype for.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also the worst part about this is I have no idea what system I wanna buy this for, PC or Switch. :negative:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but it seems that your progress through the demo will be saved and transferred over if/when you download the full game so you can pick up where you left off.

While that is unquestionably a great thing, I almost wish it wasn't the case, cause then I'd have an excuse to play three of the characters in the demo and the remaining three characters when I get the full game. TBH I'll probably just go ahead and do that anyways :)

Hate to say it, but I think I'm going to be forming a Boyz Club. Hawkeye seems like he's got the best VA, Duran has the coolest costumes, & Kevin can turn into a werewolf so that's pretty much a gimme. Charlotte's got the annoying VA (though I'm sure it's not THAT bad...) & Reisz just seems very vanilla with not much personality. I'm sad to be leaving Angela behind but I can only pick three! Of course that will leave me with Girlz Club for my 2nd playthough and maybe it's not such a good idea to load up my first playthrough with all my first choices (because I will almost definitely be playing through twice)

Now that we've seen more gameplay footage, which way is everyone leaning for their first party?
(should be interesting to hear how answers change after tomorrow as well)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Didn't they say the remake added a mechanic where you can use the aesthetic of a previous class if you don't like the new one?

Because that is relevant to my interests with these 4th classes :colbert:

In the gameplay video that came out I think last week, there's a Costume tab on the Equipment page, so it seems like you can change outfits.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Hopefully I can have multiple save files in the demo so I can see all of the various intro cutscenes for everyone and perhaps I'll make my decision on what my first full playthrough party will be then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a place with the 2nd and 3rd class designs?