Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Had a really hard time with the perceptual horizon on this one.

The Hotel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

That is beautiful

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

this is the kind of content we need more of

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I hope this is better than my last effort.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2020

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm in Pittsburgh for work and this city has good shadows

E: If the first photo doesn't belong in this thread I can remove it

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Cognac McCarthy posted:

E: If the first photo doesn't belong in this thread I can remove it

The first photo is my fave...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Urban landscapes are still landscapes and yeah it's pretty cool

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

I guess I'm not super clear on what makes a landscape in urban environments. My concern with that one was just that it didn't have any depth, which for whatever reason is what makes a landscape a landscape in my brain. :confused: Anyway never mind then!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's attached to the earth it's a landscape.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Getting the colour version processed tomorrow, but I like this one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Getting the colour version processed tomorrow, but I like this one.

I took basically the same picture only indoors

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice!..but do you also have a colour version?:D

This one only really worked after I cropped it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Nice!..but do you also have a colour version?:D

This one only really worked after I cropped it.

did you crank the saturation up quite high on this? the colours look weird, i prefer the B&W

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nice

Cognac McCarthy posted:

maybe my eyes are broken but I feel like something is at a slight angle in this one. I like it otherwise though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

did you crank the saturation up quite high on this? the colours look weird, i prefer the B&W

No, I tweaked the level *slightly*, before cropping, but this is how it came through:

I'm actually loving how the red pops out and attacks you.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

maybe my eyes are broken but I feel like something is at a slight angle in this one. I like it otherwise though.

Nope you're right, it's deskewed and maybe not totally successfully. The image itself should be straight, but your brain is probably right to think something's off. The building was just below and across the street from where I took it, so I had to use a pretty wide angle, but I wanted a straight-on look. I don't really know what I'm doing with the transform tool in Lightroom, I just went for straight lines at the top, middle, and bottom as best I could. Here's what it looks like without the transformation:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

No, I tweaked the level *slightly*, before cropping, but this is how it came through:

I like this crop better actually. The way the darkened pavement leads they eye toward the mysterious lights and colours in the distant. Rather than just a tableau of night colour in the first colour crop, this one feels more like it invites you down that alley.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah the red looks fine, it's more the yellow that looks off to me. idk maybe it's just me. I do prefer this crop too.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I went out on a Brutalism kick today. Touring Bangkok on a blazing hot day from the back seat of a moped is more fun than it should be.

IMG_4306-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4296-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4255.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_7354.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I feel kinda like I'm missing something with these suburban house shots. Plenty of people in the thread enjoy them, but I don't really "get" why. I really want to stress I don't think they're bad photos or anything, I hope this doesn't come off that way. They just don't do a ton for me compared to other shots in this thread, and I see other people loving them. What sort of scenes do you look for and inspire you to shoot them? I feel like this is a good learning opportunity for me because it really feels like I'm missing something big.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

I feel kinda like I'm missing something with these suburban house shots. Plenty of people in the thread enjoy them, but I don't really "get" why. I really want to stress I don't think they're bad photos or anything, I hope this doesn't come off that way. They just don't do a ton for me compared to other shots in this thread, and I see other people loving them. What sort of scenes do you look for and inspire you to shoot them? I feel like this is a good learning opportunity for me because it really feels like I'm missing something big.

That's ok, I see a lot of photos that don't do anything for me, either. I don't really know if you're missing anything - I enjoyed pretty simple things in the images like the shade of the tree on the garage door, the hose draped over the fence, the way the fence lines up with the side of the house, etc.

As far as what I'm looking for it's hard to say. I like finding compositions in empty spaces and nondescript buildings or houses. I don't talk or write about my photos that much so I'm not very eloquent about them, apologies. It's something I'm actually trying to do more.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hotel by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Nice very Jacques Cousteau, you back under the waves?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Just for a little bit, wound up on an impromptu dive trip instead of going to Austria. Feels good though.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Right into my veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Right into my veins.

Yes!

Eh.

Yes.

Sign or whatever on the bottom looks too much like a taskbar for me to be able to enjoy the rest of the picture.