Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

G0RF posted:

Star Citizen: Due the situation surrounding COVID-19... Derek Smart was right.

Due to Covid 19, all the schedules since 2016 were wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Warhawk109 posted:

Will Star Citizen survive covid19?

I think if anything will kill this project, it will be the virus.

With the world economy essentially shutting down for the next several months, hard to believe even the most fervent believers keeping this thing alive. Not only that, with the way the markets are trending, Calders might pull their investment.

Hell, if they can work from home and keep Chris from micro managing everything, it might even help development.

People will probably starve rather than stop donating to this game.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jesus, what did CIG put on sale yesterday?

300k in one day!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

300k in one day!

Why would they need to put something on sale? What you're probably looking at is the backers rewarding them for their candor at accepting that there was a problem with the SQ42 roadmap.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also

quote:

Suggestion: Free Fly Event for people off work due to Covid-19?

Title. Might be a good time for people to be social in-game when they can't in real life. I know a couple friends who'd like to try it.

This makes me unreasonably angry for some reason I don't truly get.

e:

quote:

I had the same idea. This might be a great opportunity for SC to get a bigger foothold in the gaming community.

:argh:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Agony Aunt posted:

300k in one day!

Green ships for St. Patrick’s Day?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How long before CIG sells a quarantine ship?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

colonelwest posted:

:lol:

God drat man there’s so much sleaze oozing out of CIG that I loose track sometimes.

I remember now how CIG was going to revolutionize gaming for the hearing impaired! A year later, and with no updates whatsoever, I’m going to assume that it’s going great.

There is a psychological affect where if people are congratulated for achieving a goal before doing it they are less likely to do it. They have already gotten the good feels for it.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

How long before CIG sells a quarantine ship?

Pandemic gameplay coming in 4.01!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlbieQuirky posted:

Green ships for St. Patrick’s Day?

Oh, of course. Backers throwing tons of money at CIG for nothing but paintjobs.

Well done CIG!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

Oh, of course. Backers throwing tons of money at CIG for nothing but paintjobs.

Well done CIG!

It's funny to watch them spend money on this cause this is the one thing they all collectively poo poo on Elite Dangerous for doing. Elite's cash shop is ship skins only, everything else you have to earn by playing the game.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
With nothing to show
and nothing to gain
it’s clear that the backers
are truly insane

tane

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"Stella Fortuna"?

Space Luck, really? That's the best their crack team could come up with?

I'm surprised their implementation of Space Luck doesn't include slot machines at this rate.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scruffpuff posted:

There once was a miserable fraud
Who the damaged would soundly applaud
He'd appear in a flash
And escape with their cash
To fund a vacation abroad

:discourse:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

"Stella Fortuna"?

Space Luck, really? That's the best their crack team could come up with?

I'm surprised their implementation of Space Luck doesn't include slot machines at this rate.

I read that and the first thing that came to mind was Warframe.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Hav posted:

I’m a pan-continental influence octopus that hides away from celebrity, wielding my considerable power amongst rotarians and some fellas in aprons <taps nose>.

A member of the Goat Appreciation Society, methinks.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

lobsterminator posted:

What do mean with Homeworld jumps? Weren't they just a way to end the mission and load the next? Or was there something else that I've forgotten?

In not-a-campaign mode you could also make jumps within the map (pay money to teleport ships). That was my Homeworld trivia, thanks for listening

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

There once was a miserable fraud
Who the damaged would soundly applaud
He'd appear in a flash
And escape with their cash
To fund a vacation abroad

:golfclap:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Eat star, poo poo Citizen

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Blue On Blue posted:

They're obviously waiting for their master linguist to make a custom language for them, before they also create sign language to match the english translations

In CI no G's case it would be a Cunning Linguist.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Weren't people saying Cig's latest alien language was Korean with extra steps?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Sign language emotes, poem competitions, yikes. I'm messing with StarCitizen Tracker today. Did they make progress on anything that isn't a spaceship jpeg?

As Beer said a loving longass time ago. It's just going to be fluff and pathetic mismanagement until the money runs out.

quote:

I once tried to order a ship
so the terminal sent me a blip
It pointed the way
To an 890-J
But my frames took a helluva dip

:vince:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://www.gamespodcast.de/2020/03/15/runde-258-warum-spiele-verschoben-werden-ft-ralf-adam/

"Auf ein Bier" is the biggest and most successful Videogames podcast in german language. It was founded by the ex Gamestar guys Andre Peschke and Jochen Gebauer.
Their recent podcast is talking about deadlines, postponed games, project management and production of video games and the definition of "Alpha" and "Beta" and so on.
After 29 minutes, they started to talk briefly about Star Citizen, and that is the moment where Ralf Adam....

(https://www.slideshare.net/RalfCAdam/ works in the game industry in 1993. Worked for publishers and developers in different positions, among them Infogrames/Atari, Sunflowers Entertainment and JoWooD Productions, Disney Interactive, Eidos and Vivendi Universal as well as writing for numerous games magazines. Experience and expertise in producing, writing, game design, localisation and project management
), one of the most known game design veterans with expertise and reputation and who actually is coaching and teaching game design and production (https://www.macromedia-fachhochschu...production.html)....

....actually starts laughing. 😂

Please let that sink in when you can read in the sc reddit that so called "I am a game developer, and everything is fine with Star citizen developement!"-wannabes are telling us that they do understand game developement, but everyone of
1.) Something Awful 2.)
the refund sub
3.) anyone who critizes SC/CIG/Chris Roberts does not.

Ralf Adam, an actual videogame industry veteran and expert in game design and production (in contrast to all made up self claimed "developers" of the main sub) laughed a loving minute after he heard the words "Star Citizen", and this is all you need to know.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 17, 2020

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

serious norman posted:

Has anyone said Fart Poopizen yet

Dump denizens?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Cloud insolvent games

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

Weren't people saying Cig's latest alien language was Korean with extra steps?

Xi'an writing is an obvious mix of Korean with Chinese.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

No wait I got it,

Cloud Incompetence.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I once pe-ordered a game
But it's delays drive me insane
I wish I could play
And not just pay
My god I've been crobbled!
This scam will go down in fame

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sandweed posted:

No wait I got it,

Cloud Incompetence.

Clown incompetence...

Wait clown Impotence!

Scoundral 42

Wait

Robbing stealing idoits

Robberts space images

Real stupid images!

Robbing strangling insolvent!!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Calders' Investment Gone

Couldn't Include Games

Clown Inspecting Garments

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sandweed posted:

No wait I got it,

Cloud Incompetence.

Clown Incontinence.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Re: Removing survival mechanics:

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Can I ask a serious question for the game devs, please?

All the hype about how in SC you don’t “become the ship” while flying, you are still controlling the player model who is controlling the ship. How could you possible tell the difference between these two things in a video game? It’s still just pressing a button and the ship does forwards.

If someone tells me the button is controlling a foot which is then pressing a pedal to move the ship rather than just moving the ship and triggering an animation of a foot pressing a pedal... what loving difference does it make?

Sorry, but this claim of true player control vs becoming the ship absolutely boggles my brain and I just can’t understand what would be gained from not ‘faking’ it?

Detailed answers would be appreciated, I’m sure it boils down to FIDELITY, but is there something I’m missing? Like, their true 3rd person/1st person animation sync thing... is there a benefit beyond being able to say you’re doing a thing most people don’t bother with?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

IshmaelZarkov posted:

For Star Citizen I was feeling quite keen
I called the Roadmap onto my screen
To discover the date
I could start shipping freight
[Limerick tier 0 coming 2015]

I will not let this work of art go unnoticed :golfclap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

No wait I got it,

Cloud Incompetence.

Given all the ship toilets... More like Cloud Incontinence

Edit: beaten :argh:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit::
"I don't play the game, I don't even have a computer that could run it. But from seeing the progress as an outsider it is clear that they are making strides.

Initially they received so much funding that they had to restructure their entire operation and once that was completed they still had to work on redesigning the fundamentals of the game.

They are far behind their promises but there is no indication that they are running a scam. Yes the money need to buy into the game bigger ships is comically high, but they are laying the foundations for tons of future content. Tons of games have stupidly price micro transactions and tons of flaws but are still phenomenal games. Whether you like GTA online or not you have to admit that through all the issues and awful microtransaction pricing, the game is a huge sucess and still has an enourmous playerbase.

With so many games nowadays reusing content and not innovating (Destiny 2) a game that is pushing the boundaries is huge.

Similar to the F-35 haters, you guys are going to complain that it doesn't fit the current model of fighters. You are saying that they aren't ever going to reach their 'impossible' goals. This is going to go on until a few years from now when the games innovative foundations have come together and they rapidly start completing the nonchallenging technical goals.

You may not personally like it and that is fine. You may think that buying into this game is not for you. But to dismiss the mammoth amount of work put into this game and attack people who are genuinely enjoying this is ridiculous. Everyone who donated should know that there is a chance of getting none of their money back and no game being developed. That is a risk that backers took and there is no need to bash people who are excited.

CIGs biggest problems are their lack of transparency and their seemingly poor money management that comes from such rapid growth. Star Citizen maybe struggling under the wieght of its own ambition, but this is eased through time.

This sub should be disscusing why you personally stopped backing the game and what might bring you back into it if you weren't turned away completely. It is childish though to attack CIG when there are millions of actual scams that you could have crowd funded. And it is embarrassing to watch you get upset that there are people who are still having fun and have faith in the games development."

tl;dr - Star Citizen is the F-35 of games and you haters just can't see how revolutionary it really is.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

hottubrhymemachine posted:

All the hype about how in SC you don’t “become the ship” while flying, you are still controlling the player model who is controlling the ship. How could you possible tell the difference between these two things in a video game? It’s still just pressing a button and the ship does forwards.

If someone tells me the button is controlling a foot which is then pressing a pedal to move the ship rather than just moving the ship and triggering an animation of a foot pressing a pedal... what loving difference does it make?

Sorry, but this claim of true player control vs becoming the ship absolutely boggles my brain and I just can’t understand what would be gained from not ‘faking’ it?

Detailed answers would be appreciated, I’m sure it boils down to FIDELITY, but is there something I’m missing? Like, their true 3rd person/1st person animation sync thing... is there a benefit beyond being able to say you’re doing a thing most people don’t bother with?

Same reason the game keeps track of argon levels in the atmosphere. Fidelity.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

hottubrhymemachine posted:

It's just a pathological OCD thing. I wonder if Chris understands that in the end, it's all fake poo poo on a screen and the spaceman isn't really there in the first place.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

an arsehat who made a bad movie
tried to make a game he thought was groovy
some dorks gave him bucks
but he gave no fucks
they should have been somewhat more choosy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Strangler 42 posted: