Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gavrilo Princip posted:

How was it somehow easier to print off my thesis and get it bound and handed in while working a regular 9-5 than it is to get the postgrad office to just send me my funding source and grant number. Stop making endless forms that demand to know my whereabouts and travel plans and actually respond to my emails jesus loving christ I want this done.

I had this a few years back too, ended up getting 4 years worth of funding from my sponsor right at the end (£17000). Meant I didn't have to rush into a job which was pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Sanford posted:

Sorry to be needy, thread, but I'm suffering anxiety like I've not for about twenty years and I can't remember how to deal with it. Tips and advice, please? I don't want to bother the doctor at a time like this but I'm feeling like I need to.

Distraction is best ime

For me something using my hands that is fairly repetitive but I still have to pay some attention to is usually best. Like.... rhythm games, knitting, that sort of thing?

Also try to identify if there's anything you're doing that's making you feel worse. I don't mean that to sound lovely but like, I often find myself obsessively refreshing twitter or something because of a neurotic need to KNOW MORE so i can BE PREPARED. What usually happens when I do this is: I dark myself out and give myself a full-on panic attack.

I try to only look at twitter / this thread / news sources blah de blah at specific times and always with the goal of like, getting a small amount of info that I can do something with, then stop looking. Try to ask yourself often: is this productive? What is the actual specific goal? If you can't answer those questions, it's probably fine if you gently caress it off and do something else.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

The cough is generally non-productive (i.e. dry), so if you're full of phlegm and coughing it up in the absence of any fever or breathing difficulties you've probably just got a cold, or the mildest case of COVID going. One of the things I've finding genuinely fascinating about this is the sheer variety of symptoms. Some people don't even know they have it, some it barely even registers as a cold, some it's like the flu, some are ill as all hell, some literally need ventilation. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite so unpredictable before.

So I got a cough on Friday with some real aching in my legs like I was very fatigued. So I'm on the 7 day (14 day now?) isolation from work. I'm assuming it's just a cold now as my cough has become productive. But I'm not going to try and second guess it and definitely not cut about coughing away telling everyone it's just a cold as that doesn't help anyone.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Tories.txt

https://twitter.com/Pauline_Latham/status/1238903676934160384

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Has anyone seen the olds' reactions to the various posts doing the rounds at the moment pointing out that not forcing venues to close means they can't claim insurance?

It feels like this is the kind of thing that can make people loving understand, but... I don't know.

It's easy to get already on-board people to be on-board with the government being scum who are just trying to prevent the insurance companies from having to pay out, and profit off the inevitable disaster, but... how is it going over with the toffs who will actually like things like theatres and posh restaurants?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aramoro posted:

So I got a cough on Friday with some real aching in my legs like I was very fatigued. So I'm on the 7 day (14 day now?) isolation from work. I'm assuming it's just a cold now as my cough has become productive. But I'm not going to try and second guess it and definitely not cut about coughing away telling everyone it's just a cold as that doesn't help anyone.

14 days.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I actually can't believe this

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/new-data-new-policy-why-uks-coronavirus-strategy-has-changed

quote:

What changed was new data on the impact of Italy’s out-of-control epidemic on its health service. Basically, it is catastrophic, with 30% of hospitalised patients having to be admitted to intensive care. The teams of modellers at Imperial College and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine who advise government crunched those numbers – and the death toll and pressure on the NHS that came out were unacceptable.

Prof Neil Ferguson at Imperial College’s MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis and colleagues found that the mitigation strategy, as they called it – or scenario 1 – that the government had just announced would lead to 260,000 deaths. That would be not just deaths from the virus, but from other illnesses that the NHS would be too hard-pressed to treat.

how can this have happened.

how can these people not have just looked at the loving news coming out of Italy or used the raw 80/15/5 breakdown we all knew about and a literal loving pocket calculator to see that their strategy to allow this to rage "with mitigation" would result in hundreds of thousands of deaths

why were the results of this model not questioned when they clearly didn't tally with observable reality and didn't pass a basic sanity check

we have been failed and I hope to god they haven't left it too late to slam on the brakes

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 17, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Love the Telegraph's framing of this. Not sure why they're intent on killing their entire subscriber base?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

My understanding is 14 days (as a household) if you live in a household with other people. 7 days if you live alone, though more is better as a few people may still be infectious after 7.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Maugrim posted:

My understanding is 14 days (as a household) if you live in a household with other people. 7 days if you live alone, though more is better as a few people may still be infectious after 7.

Ah. Well I don't think any of us would say that there's no 'less is more' with this thing.

Been playing the 'who amongst my large group of older family and friends is going to die from this? Because it's definitely going to be somebody' game in my head last night and this morning. Definitely going to have to log off for a bit.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'll say it again, this is murder by criminal negligence and we should be stringing up the ones who survive this along with their pet lobby journos.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

peanut- posted:

Love the Telegraph's framing of this. Not sure why they're intent on killing their entire subscriber base?

Give me liberty and give me death.

It probably is good that someone is monitoring that the Tories aren't being allowed to unleash the fash oval office poltergeist from their collective membership, even if it is the Telegraph doing it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

keep punching joe posted:

I'll say it again, this is murder by criminal negligence and we should be stringing up the ones who survive this along with their pet lobby journos.

people were saying there were laws on the books to prevent exactly this from ever happening

so hypothetically any consequences will need to be extralegal

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

They've been quite happy to let the poor and disabled die for about ten years, I genuinely think they were caught off guard at the idea that there's a line.

Plus boomers don't think they're old. They're simultaneously convinced that they stormed the beaches of Normandy despite being born in 1947 and also still young and vibrant despite their crippling arthritis. As I've said before, they are Dodo's wandering up to the big hungry sailor named Corvid-19 and acting as if nothing can hurt them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can the government not just promise to write off the costs to the insurance industry in the event of mass cancellations? It's a lovely capitalist solution to a lovely capitalist problem, but in the interest of public safety it seems better than doing literally nothing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can the government not just promise to write off the costs to the insurance industry in the event of mass cancellations? It's a lovely capitalist solution to a lovely capitalist problem, but in the interest of public safety it seems better than doing literally nothing.

But that would take time and I'm willing to bet a lot of the insurance companies are right on the edge of bankruptcy because that's how "efficiency" is measured nowadays.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Sanford posted:

Sorry to be needy, thread, but I'm suffering anxiety like I've not for about twenty years and I can't remember how to deal with it. Tips and advice, please?

As everyone else said, distraction, but if you're finding it impossible to enjoy or concentrate on anything, housework is a godsend. It not only occupies the brain while you're doing it, it gives you a feeling of smug self-satisfaction for the rest of the day.

If you find it hard to get started on anything, tell yourself you only have to do five minutes. Even that will help.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But that would take time and I'm willing to bet a lot of the insurance companies are right on the edge of bankruptcy because that's how "efficiency" is measured nowadays.
Perhaps they should have taken out insurance against that. :smug:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Boomers: the Suicide Generation.

Seriously, future historians (if there are any) will puzzle about exactly how it is that one single group of people with nothing in common other than when they were born could be just so collectively stupid.

e: I’m looking forward to the future tweets that will be an image of a newspaper opinion piece on the left saying something like “I Won’t Let Covid 19 Change My Life” and their obituary on the right.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 17, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Boomers: the Suicide Generation.

Seriously, future historians (if there are any) will puzzle about exactly how it is that one single group of people with nothing in common other than when they were born could be just so collectively stupid.

Lead poisoning.

Unironically.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Lead poisoning.

Unironically.

Yeah, I know that theory. Would that have only affected Boomers though?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

forkboy84 posted:

Heard nothing to suggest otherwise. Also haven't heard about JobCentre Pluses closing down which seems unwise but entirely on brand with the cruelty you expect from Tories

According to this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses

quote:

For people who need to make a new claim for financial support We understand people who are required to stay at home or are infected by coronavirus may need financial support, and quickly. We announce that:
those affected by coronavirus will be able to apply for Universal Credit and can receive up to a month’s advance up front without physically attending a jobcentre
the 7 waiting days for ESA for new claimants will not apply if they are suffering from coronavirus or are required to stay at home – so it will be payable from day one

so if you suspect you have it, go to: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19 and do the quiz, then screenshot your answer I guess?

In more international news, Kenya has the worst locust swarms in 70 years (swarms the size of cities) - can't imagine they'd migrate up here in summer but following the floods from February, this, potential wildfires again a locust swarm would be the icing on the death cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8_IYYjBT8

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oh dear me posted:

If you find it hard to get started on anything, tell yourself you only have to do five minutes. Even that will help.
This is an honest-to-god CBT technique that I’ve found pretty helpful as well - often once you’ve started it’s easy to keep going, and if it’s not then at least you got five minutes’ worth done which is still better than nothing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

According to this: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses

so if you suspect you have it, go to: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19 and do the quiz, then screenshot your answer I guess?

In more international news, Kenya has the worst locust swarms in 70 years (swarms the size of cities) - can't imagine they'd migrate up here in summer but following the floods from February, this, potential wildfires again a locust swarm would be the icing on the death cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8_IYYjBT8
I swear if I see one frog I'm painting lamb's blood on my front door.

Miftan: is there a good approved vegan alternative?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

They've been quite happy to let the poor and disabled die for about ten years, I genuinely think they were caught off guard at the idea that there's a line.

Plus boomers don't think they're old. They're simultaneously convinced that they stormed the beaches of Normandy despite being born in 1947 and also still young and vibrant despite their crippling arthritis. As I've said before, they are Dodo's wandering up to the big hungry sailor named Corvid-19 and acting as if nothing can hurt them.

Dodos were cute and loveable though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Traffic in London is down to school holidays level, but with noticeably less heavy lorries. I wonder how many excess deaths due to air pollution are going to be prevented as a result of this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assumed londoners had evolved to breathe dioxides.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Has anyone seen anything specific about financial support for self-employed? My niece does wedding makeup as her only source of income for herself and her kid. Obviously all these weddings will get cancelled at some point but because the wretched government won't tell venues they must close, there's nothing she can do about sorting anything out.
Also, she can't work from home because she goes out at 4am on Saturdays to make up whole bridal parties.
There are a lot of self-employed individuals round my way because there are gently caress all 'proper jobs'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think I'm starting to see why there were a lot of anti-nuclear people in the 70s even though it's our safest source of energy now.

Whythe
Dec 23, 2005
So I thought I would post my experience so far with having the Coronavirus, at least I think it is but I’m not allowed to be tested so hey ho. For context I am 37 years old with a history of lung issues dating back when I was 11:

I have no idea when I got it. I did not get it from a member of my family.

Sunday 8th
Start to get a very light dry cough in the evening. Spoke to my other half and felt just to be safe that I sleep in the spare room.

Monday 9th
Dry cough present when I woke up, temperature started to slowly build throughout the day along with achy joints light sore throat. Decided to isolate myself in the spare room and use the main toilet. Everywhere else was off limits to me.

Tuesday 10th
More of the same, dry cough, high temperature, achy joints, headache and light sore throat.

Wednesday 11th
Same symptoms but today also had Diarrhoea.

Thursday 12th
Diarrhoea stopped at the end of the day. Sore throat gets worse but I assume that’s because I have been coughing since Monday. Over the last few days cough has been getting worse.

Friday 13th
Temperature starts go up and down. Cough gets worse, start to have issues sleeping at night.

Saturday 14th
Cough getting worse and worse, still dry. Temperature not as high. Chest starts to hurt. Not sure if it’s because I’m up all-night coughing.

Sunday 15th
Temperature, and headache are gone. Cough still getting worse. I am now pretty much coughing all day and night. I had one hours sleep at night. Chest feeling tight and having issues breathing.

Monday 16th
Even though I had no sleep I woke up feeling pretty good! As the day progressed the cough started to reduce and by about 14:00 I had no cough at all. I was hoping this would be the end of it but at around 17:00 the cough started to come back, my temperature also started to raise again. Last night was the worse I have had it, constant coughing but now I am coughing up clear fluid, I could not breath, chest very tight. I was very afraid.

Tuesday 17th
Woke up with cough still present, not as bad as in the night but still there. Temperate has been up and down again. Chest still tight but breathing ok. I fear it will start to get much worse as the day goes on again.

My workplace has been very kind and signed me off for two weeks starting from the 9th. They have told me that when I am feeling better, I can work from home.
Last night I genuinely felt that this is the end. I didn’t even have the strength to reach for my phone or call out. I figured I would post this to give a bit of insight for those interested.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I think I'm starting to see why there were a lot of anti-nuclear people in the 70s even though it's our safest source of energy now.

Is that describing an internal criticality engine..?

E: apparently yes.

Also I guess all nuclear reactors are internal criticality engines except the ones that explode.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sorry mate, that sounds very rough, here's hoping you're over the worst

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Whythe posted:

coughing

That sounds absolutely vicious. Hope you pick up soon. Really not looking forward to inevitably catching this.

Slightly vindicates the toilet roll hoarders though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Whythe posted:

So I thought I would post my experience so far with having the Coronavirus, at least I think it is but I’m not allowed to be tested so hey ho. For context I am 37 years old with a history of lung issues dating back when I was 11:

Sunday 8th
Start to get a very light dry cough in the evening. Spoke to my other half and felt just to be safe that I sleep in the spare room.

Monday 9th
Dry cough present when I woke up, temperature started to slowly build throughout the day along with achy joints light sore throat. Decided to isolate myself in the spare room and use the main toilet. Everywhere else was off limits to me.

Tuesday 10th
More of the same, dry cough, high temperature, achy joints, headache and light sore throat.

Wednesday 11th

Thursday 12th
Diarrhoea stopped at the end of the day. Sore throat gets worse but I assume that’s because I have been coughing since Monday. Over the last few days cough has been getting worse.

Friday 13th
Temperature starts go up and down. Cough gets worse, start to have issues sleeping at night.

Saturday 14th
Cough getting worse and worse, still dry. Temperature not as high. Chest starts to hurt. Not sure if it’s because I’m up all-night coughing.

Sunday 15th
Temperature, and headache are gone. Cough still getting worse. I am now pretty much coughing all day and night. I had one hours sleep at night. Chest feeling tight and having issues breathing.

Monday 16th
Even though I had no sleep I woke up feeling pretty good! As the day progressed the cough started to reduce and by about 14:00 I had no cough at all. I was hoping this would be the end of it but at around 17:00 the cough started to come back, my temperature also started to raise again. Last night was the worse I have had it, constant coughing but now I am coughing up clear fluid, I could not breath, chest very tight. I was very afraid.

Tuesday 17th
Woke up with cough still present, not as bad as in the night but still there. Temperate has been up and down again. Chest still tight but breathing ok. I fear it will start to get much worse as the day goes on again.

My workplace has been very kind and signed me off for two weeks starting from the 9th. They have told me that when I am feeling better, I can work from home.
Last night I genuinely felt that this is the end. I didn’t even have the strength to reach for my phone or call out. I figured I would post this to give a bit of insight for those interested.

poo poo man. Hope you feel better soon.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Source

Not feeling massively optimistic about this 'strategy' tbh

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has anyone seen anything specific about financial support for self-employed? My niece does wedding makeup as her only source of income for herself and her kid. Obviously all these weddings will get cancelled at some point but because the wretched government won't tell venues they must close, there's nothing she can do about sorting anything out.
Also, she can't work from home because she goes out at 4am on Saturdays to make up whole bridal parties.
There are a lot of self-employed individuals round my way because there are gently caress all 'proper jobs'.

I'd like to know this too. There is some link floating about to getting Universal Credit immediately but I think that relies on you actually proving you have/had COVID19.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is that describing an internal criticality engine..?

E: apparently yes.

Also I guess all nuclear reactors are internal criticality engines except the ones that explode.
It is. From the era when they had entire departments just sitting around smoking pipes and saying "what if Deltic, but nuclear."

Because apparently a mobile radiological hazard was more realistic than, say, track electrification.

There are a few natural external nuclear engines though :sun:

Whythe posted:

Coronavirus
Thank you for the insight, but also get better soon!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

Source

Not feeling massively optimistic about this 'strategy' tbh

And the x for Sport for UK is a decision taken by the sporting bodies, not something the government asked for.

If this carries on and rubbish collections stop we could be into a rerun of The Bins.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 17, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Whythe posted:

Sunday 8th

Monday 9th

Tuesday 10th

Wednesday 11th

Thursday 12th

Friday 13th

Saturday 14th

Sunday 15th

Monday 16th

Tuesday 17th

that sounds like it. sounds like a nasty case of "mild" covid so far.
just endure for the next couple days if you possibly can and then you're out of the worst. if not, get someone to call the hospital and you're getting in before the collapse.
either way your chances are still very good, though I know that doesn't help while you're feeling like death

take care, wishing you lots of luck and good health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Haven't been going to garages much recently but noticed today fuel is very cheap. Apparently China being locked down has stifled demand and lowered the price.