Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Obviously the lack of Gyroid is just a sign to wait until Halloween for the Gyroid DLC to release, bringing back Gyroid and featuring Gyroid as new villagers, alongside two new villager species and also the best ones, bats and sharks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Notapipe posted:

Could I have myself a copy of that fancy tag, please? As someone who skipped over New Leaf has there been any new Octopi?

The Welcome Amiibo DLC actually specifically added a new octopus (who apparently thinks he's a squid) from scanning a Splatoon amiibo (aside from the Squid Sisters, who unlock cosplaying squirrels). Not sure if they're returning in New Horizons though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to load up your town so soon after release because I think they're going to add more new villager characters in future updates

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Zuzie posted:

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to load up your town so soon after release because I think they're going to add more new villager characters in future updates

Can't you evict people? Or hit them with your bug net enough times that they get mad and move out?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hobo Clown posted:

Can't you evict people? Or hit them with your bug net enough times that they get mad and move out?

Nope! And the latter actually makes them more stubborn in New Leaf at least, while your best friends have to be talked out of moving regularly. Who knows if they'll change that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In the Welcome Amiibo update from New Leaf you got the ability to evict people with the cards and the genie, but only when you were full up on townspeople so you had to pick who got dumped. Maybe it works the same way here.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Has it been confirmed if you can scan a card and have a friend come and recruit that villager to there town? Because if so, I have quite a few cards, especially Welcome Amiibo ones. If so, goons can HMU, especially the person who Leopold was their favorite character.

Meanwhile, the Mirapola Isle family is having a bitter feud about whether the island should grow with villagers coming naturally, or it should just be all of our favorites.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Hobo Clown posted:

As far as time aware, that doesn't actually work like that. Who wants to move out appears to be determined by RNG more then anything.

But who knows what the process of getting/removing residents this time around is.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You don't want to know why Ankha is sought after.

E: Apparently the new wolf villager is named Audie as a homage to that one Grandmother that's been playing New Leaf nonstop for 4 years :3:

Because she's a cute cat and people like cute cats. :colbert: Don't be weird.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Maybe I'm missing something but there's a gyroid about 10 seconds into this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpG4hedNmz8. I guess maybe they're tutorial characters not furniture/findable?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A builder NPC gyroid... the ones we're freaking out about not being around were collectible items that made rhythmic beats and were awesome to have a basement of.

I guess there's hope for DLC if nothing else.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but there's a gyroid about 10 seconds into this review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpG4hedNmz8. I guess maybe they're tutorial characters not furniture/findable?

that's Lloid, he was around in New Leaf as a character who collected money for public works projects and gave out rental tools on the island and stuff.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Infinitum posted:

Next batch queued.

:siren: New rule, if you don't say 'please' when requesting to join the Racoon Goons, you're copping a sixer :siren:

Primarily because I have been very good and haven't abused my IK powers yet.
Also cause it'll be funny

Thank you for busting you butt with these. :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have I missed you? I've seen you in thread, and didn't recall you asking for one.

(Would you like one)

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Have I missed you? I've seen you in thread, and didn't recall you asking for one.

(Would you like one)

I just assumed you were up to your eyeballs with stuff to do. I would like a tag if it's not too much trouble please.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I haven't played an AC game since the first GameCube one but I'm going to get this, I'm guessing they did away with the little NES emulators you could find and play?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

d3lness posted:

I just assumed you were up to your eyeballs with stuff to do. I would like a tag if it's not too much trouble please.

It is done.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Infinitum posted:

It is done.

Thank you very much!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Frankston posted:

I haven't played an AC game since the first GameCube one but I'm going to get this, I'm guessing they did away with the little NES emulators you could find and play?

Yeah, those are long gone, but in the New Leaf Welcome Amiibo update, they did add in a 3DS and Wii U furniture items which would let you play minigames. The 3DS let you play a Animal Crossing version of Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon, and the Wii U let you play Desert Island Escape. Really hoping they bring these back.

Infinitum posted:

It is done.

Thanks for all your hard work BTW!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

someone awful. posted:

that's Lloid, he was around in New Leaf as a character who collected money for public works projects and gave out rental tools on the island and stuff.

You come into this thread and assault my eyes with a split av?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07So_lJQyqw

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

Thanks for all your hard work BTW!

No.. but it's like.. I'm an IK, but I don't have access to the report queue..

So all I can do is help out around the place, and I'm not about to gently caress up VideoGames chill works in the Games subforum by abusing my powers.

It's not super time consuming to queue up a few tags.. well I mean it was... and it took me two nights.. and like.. I wanted to probe some.. but I'm not gonna..

(If you see someone being a fuckwit in any thread though, and it requires immediate attention, please send me a PM so I can attend to it straight away)
(I'm on Aussie time though, so if you can't get ahold of me try one of the other IKs: oddium and Relax or DIE)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hype for finding out who my random island friends are going to be.

All I want is a Koala and a Kangaroo (Because I'm a walking stereotype)

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Have they confirmed that all the villagers are returning? I need Agent S in my life again.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

It's okay, I live in the US and I'm hoping for a laughable healthcare system and crippling nihilism to show up on my island. Also, my island is closed due to Covidtendo-19 risks.

Dark humor aside, I'm having a hard time deciding if I want lean into the new setting and make it a proper resort island or going for a stone and wood heavy theme with lots of non-flower gardening in public places. Was it possible to change the appearance of other houses besides your own in past games?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I missed most of the topics here when they were being talked about, but i'm aiming for Apples as town fruit.

I'd have my town name and tune sorted, but I kind of want a red airport, but that's entirely random.

Moe is the only villager i'm actively going to amiibo shenanigans for. Everyone else can be a roll of the dice.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I saw some glowing mushrooms in a preview vid, gonna fill my island with those

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Winklebottom posted:

I saw some glowing mushrooms in a preview vid, gonna fill my island with those

The glowy mushroom forest in the new pokemon was literally an "wooooow" moment for me when I first saw it, so hopefully this can be somewhat recreated.

I can't believe we are only a couple days out. I can forgive the first week being a slow one and am going to resist the urge to time travel. If nothing else I plan to get Doom 2 as well, so it will be a good excuse to plow through that game when I run out of the things the first few days.

The game really is launching at the perfect time, and that's ignoring the coronavirus stuff even. The blossoms in the air always looked super pretty in New Leaf and in this game I bet they will look amazing! I'm also excited to see how Bunny Day is handled. It would be awesome if these DLC holidays are significantly bulked up from their previous incarnations. While they were always fun of course, having more activities would be great.

edit - Infinitum you have been busy as hell so i dont mean to impose...but could i please have the tag? I asked a few pages ago so I'm technically in before the cut off!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 17, 2020

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The game really is launching at the perfect time, and that's ignoring the coronavirus stuff even. The blossoms in the air always looked super pretty in New Leaf and in this game I bet they will look amazing! I'm also excited to see how Bunny Day is handled. It would be awesome if these DLC holidays are significantly bulked up from their previous incarnations. While they were always fun of course, having more activities would be great.

I'm wondering how DLC holidays and time travel will mix, since I presume the holidays are locked to certain dates?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Winklebottom posted:

I'm wondering how DLC holidays and time travel will mix, since I presume the holidays are locked to certain dates?

In the previous games everything was in the game at time of release, so you could time travel to different ones. It sure seems like the big ones will be added only as DLC so it won't be available from the getgo as in the past.

Ugh October in this game is going to be so much fun!

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I want to play Animal Crossing on the Nintendo Game Man

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hosed up if true

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wonder if the Splatoon amiibo do anything this time around.
Because I have like one AC amiibo, a couple randos, and all the splatoons :woomy:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I found 12 amiibo cards I thought I had lost when I moved a few years ago.

Not sure if Lyle is compatible to be a resident but my top 3 from these are Avery, Curt, and Eugene.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I haven't seen Lyle yet but the reviewers have had letters from the Happy Home Academy so he's probably not going to be a villager but he'll be around somewhere judging you.

Notapipe
Apr 4, 2011

100% Self-Loathing Posting

I booted up my old copy of Wild World to see what I had done way back then, all I got was just the memories of really hating Wart Jr.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Welp, husband and I were already working from home this week. Buuuuut I just found out that the aquarium I volunteer at every Friday is closing. Only essential animal care personnel are to go in, as the fish still need to eat, obv.

Sucks, but that means I can stay home and play Animal Crossing all day instead of getting up at rear end o'clock, driving for an hour, and chopping up fish for hours! :dance:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
For fellow third shifters: do ya'll just deal with events taking place around noon being hard to do, or do you set your town clock forward like 8 hours so it's in the AM in game when you wake up?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PancakeTransmission posted:

They basically don't exist here unless you find a preowned one or buy them on fleabay. In fact, the amiibo cards range from AUD$3 to $25 each depending on the character. Hence me just spending $10 on a bunch of NFC cards to program. I don't want them all, just a few. Only one I've programmed so far was my birthday animal, don't need to rush to decide since apparently it takes over a week before you can access that feature anyway.

I ended up buying a used phone to make the tags with, because that was still cheaper than picking up the handful of animals that struck my fancy as single cards.

Plus it let me make stickers for my IRL friends so everyone can recruit their faves once that unlocks.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wonder if the Splatoon amiibo do anything this time around.
Because I have like one AC amiibo, a couple randos, and all the splatoons :woomy:

MY MAN! I too have all of them. Except the original Sploon 1 3pack. But I have every one of them otherwise.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Welcome Amiibo DLC actually specifically added a new octopus (who apparently thinks he's a squid) from scanning a Splatoon amiibo (aside from the Squid Sisters, who unlock cosplaying squirrels). Not sure if they're returning in New Horizons though.

Cece and Viche are amongst the best villagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

It's 4 days for the ladder/pole and one week to upgrade Resident's services to get amiibos and the town tune.

"There's just not enough to do for these first few days while the sleepy island is waking up. You can't scale cliffs or cross rivers until you satisfy requirements that span several real time days. To make it worse, resources deplete and reset daily, so outside of fishing and bug hunting you can't even effectively farm for bells while you wait. "

Hmmm, I wonder if setting the system clock back interferes with checking if the AC download is available to play or not. I would think not. I wonder if it wouldn't be worth setting the clock back a week for launch and TT my way to the "present" so I don't have to waste the weekend with tutorial-level Animal Crossing.