Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

LMAO @ "the science has changed". gently caress. Off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Wachter posted:

LMAO @ "the science has changed". gently caress. Off.

The badgers have moved the goalposts.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

So we're all working from home tomorrow. Wooh! But check this loving gem from our FD:

quote:

I don't care about the health of people, I care about the health of this company. If you're not talking specifically about that then it's got no place in this meeting and to be quite honest you're welcome to gently caress off and tell someone who gives a poo poo.

Wrote it down on the spot because I couldn't quite believe it. To be fair our CEO did call him out and say he does care about people, a lot. Nevertheless.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sanford posted:

So we're all working from home tomorrow. Wooh! But check this loving gem from our FD:

Wrote it down on the spot because I couldn't quite believe it. To be fair our CEO did call him out and say he does care about people, a lot. Nevertheless.

Yowzer. What a colossal buffoon. How happy was he to find out you were right about working from home?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol my coworker who is still not well enough to work really but since we're contractors had had to come in rather than miss a 9th straight day still has his nasty dry cough, fatigue and idk about a fever so that's cool. Fortunately I got ill around the same time with similar but much milder symptoms so maybe I'm good

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sanford posted:

Who is this fucker and why does he feel able to just chat poo poo like this?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Josef bugman posted:

Who is this fucker and why does he feel able to just chat poo poo like this?

Owns the business 40% is the most straightforward answer, also kept it afloat with personal funds during the financial crash.

He directly told me to shut the gently caress up when I said there might be a GDPR consideration about a new rule that says everyone has to put their personal mobile on a list which is accessible by the whole company.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Necrothatcher posted:

The badgers have moved the goalposts.

Wrong kind of coronavirus on the line.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Sanford posted:

I hope he dies a painful death, op.

And and and you're there and you look right at him, right at him, right? And he's all gaspin and beggin for oxygen and you just shrug and walk off lol >: D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I need to learn how to write in hieroglyphs or something so i can start making curse tablets against people I don't like.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I need to learn how to write in hieroglyphs or something so i can start making curse tablets against people I don't like.

We did those at school in Latin class. I got in big trouble for cursing our PE teacher (in Latin) to be devoured by angry snakes while hung upside down in a cauldron of piss.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

𓁅𓍍𓐠𓎿

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

We did those at school in Latin class. I got in big trouble for cursing our PE teacher (in Latin) to be devoured by angry snakes while hung upside down in a cauldron of piss.

You can't post something like that and not actually say it!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

𓁅𓍍𓐠𓎿
Can't believe I'm only just now finding out about Unicode heiroglyphs.

𓂸

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

OwlFancier posted:

Nah just get a clay tablet and make an impression of your middle finger. Then break the slab over the fuckers faces. Simples!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sanford posted:

Owns the business 40% is the most straightforward answer, also kept it afloat with personal funds during the financial crash.

He directly told me to shut the gently caress up when I said there might be a GDPR consideration about a new rule that says everyone has to put their personal mobile on a list which is accessible by the whole company.

Who owns the other 60% the CEO? Because I think a hostile takeover by getting him to gently caress himself might be an idea.

What an utterly repellent human being.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanford posted:

This is when you just say "don't have a personal phone, so do one"

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Z the IVth posted:

You can't post something like that and not actually say it!

This was like 25 years ago, and my Latin skills have gone since then.

But I went full hog- curse written out in Latin, surrounded by his name reversed and overturned, symbols of the hanged man and various bits and pieces of Latin occult gibberish cribbed from curse tablets found in Pompeii and (iirc) Bath.

One of the best pieces of work I did for that class, or in the whole of my yr8 stuff (I really really hated that ginger scouser prick; the fact that at 12 I was 6” taller than him and had a tendency to stare him down and laugh when he went off at me probably didn’t endear me to him either).

Edit: dirty google translate:

ut sicut serpentes comedent sacerdotes Laocoon dum sacrum caput ejus pendet in dolio urina.

(May he be devoured by angry serpents like the priest Laocoon, while suspended by his ankles with his head in a cauldron of piss. Yes I was the sort of 13 year old that would reference Virgil)

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 17, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was replacing some rail over the weekend and at one point a badger came down to the fence near where we were working and just sat down and watched us for five minutes :3: I forget how big they are in real life.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

learnincurve posted:

loving lazy middle class boomers cleared out all the flour

Are people trying to bake their own bread? Bet they all forgot to buy yeast lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just had a knock at the door. It's my friend who lives down the road who's been self-isolating for four days with a temperature and a cough. He's bored and wants to know if I want to play Mario Kart. Then he got all shirty when I got mad and told him to gently caress back off home IMMEDIATELY.

we're doomed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You might call it funny that the Tories engineered a crisis to make themselves rich, and now another crisis has intervened that means a) they wasted their efforts, b) they're not going to profit from their own crisis because of the second crisis, and c) there is a strong chance that many of them will die because of it.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Hello there UKMT, long time lurker but I thought I'd tell you about my current coronavirus situation.

I'm a cadet on board a container ship. To complete the cadetship and get qualified as a marine engineer you have to do a certain amount of time working at sea. Right now I need about 3 days of sea time. Unfortunately the company operating the ship has suspended crew transfers at all its ports of call. I get the same training allowance whether I'm on ship, on leave or at college so I'm looking at god knows how many months of forced, unpaid labour.

Cadets are by definition non-essential crew. I do not need to be on this ship and nobody would need to replace me, so bringing someone infected on board needn't be a concern.

The monthly allowance I get is considerably less than minimum wage for an apprentice for the amount of hours I work.

Funny thing is I was supposed to be done by now but the company had me start my last trip a week later because they were too cheap to fly me to the port I was meant to get on at.

All of that and the captain just told me off for not greeting him with sufficient enthusiasm.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Haha my job: there is no problem, come into work and no we won't provide laptops do you can work from home. Provide your own!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Magner posted:

Hello there UKMT, long time lurker but I thought I'd tell you about my current coronavirus situation.

I'm a cadet on board a container ship. To complete the cadetship and get qualified as a marine engineer you have to do a certain amount of time working at sea. Right now I need about 3 days of sea time. Unfortunately the company operating the ship has suspended crew transfers at all its ports of call. I get the same training allowance whether I'm on ship, on leave or at college so I'm looking at god knows how many months of forced, unpaid labour.

Cadets are by definition non-essential crew. I do not need to be on this ship and nobody would need to replace me, so bringing someone infected on board needn't be a concern.

The monthly allowance I get is considerably less than minimum wage for an apprentice for the amount of hours I work.

Funny thing is I was supposed to be done by now but the company had me start my last trip a week later because they were too cheap to fly me to the port I was meant to get on at.

All of that and the captain just told me off for not greeting him with sufficient enthusiasm.

What happens if you just... don't?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

bessantj posted:

Was replacing some rail over the weekend and at one point a badger came down to the fence near where we were working and just sat down and watched us for five minutes :3: I forget how big they are in real life.

I always imagine them the size of a Big Trak. I think that's more me being impressed at the size of the latter when I was a yoof, though.

Biggus Dickus fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 17, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just left the house to go to the dentist (got to get this appointment in now).

Within 5 minutes of leaving the house I was sharing a lift down to the tube platform with a guy who really obviously had coronavirus and was wheeling two suitcases.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The least weasel is so called because it is the smallest member of the family Mustelidae common to the UK and Europe.

Therefore I propose that badgers are called the most weasel.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Magner posted:

Wait, is this in the armed forces? If it's not I'd laugh my arse off if someone said that to me.

Biggus Dickus posted:

I always imagine them the size of a Big Trak. I think that's more me being impressed at the size of the latter when I was a yoof, though.

I don't know why but I keep thinking of them as the size of domestic cats but fatter. I know they're bigger but that image is stuck in my head.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPS1bvx5J2w

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Wow, all that needs is some traumatic deaths, an annoying mole and really hosed up gender issues and you have the Animals Of Farthing Wood, live!

minema
May 31, 2011
I can't work out the guidelines they've given - if you have symptoms you must self isolate for 7 days, if you live with others they have to isolate for 14 days, but does the original symptomatic person self isolate for 7 or 14 days?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

bessantj posted:

Wait, is this in the armed forces? If it's not I'd laugh my arse off if someone said that to me.

I'm assuming merchant navy: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/merchant-navy-engineering-officer

Sounds like a poo poo position to be in mate. Good luck, hopefully they remember to keep sending you food.

On the bright side, our substitute PM has just chimed in on the Corona Crisis

quote:

Stanley Johnson, father of the UK prime minister, has indicated he would ignore official advice to tackle the spread of coronavirus and still go to the pub.

His comments came a day after Boris Johnson urged everyone to “avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues”.

The Prime Minister said the advice was particularly important for people over 70. But Stanley Johnson, 79, said: “Of course I’ll go to a pub if I need to go to a pub.”

Speaking on ITV’s This Morning, he said landlords “don’t want people to be not in the pub at all”.

Boomers, for fucks sake nobody 'needs' to go to the pub.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

RockyB posted:

On the bright side, our substitute PM has just chimed in on the Corona Crisis

Boomers, for fucks sake nobody 'needs' to go to the pub.

Sounds like a self-solving problem tbh

zhar
May 3, 2019

Should I cancel my dentist appointment next week? The fact that the dentist breathes over peoples faces all day seems pretty risky, but I don't know when this ends and I'd be able to get an appointment in the future. I don't know if they take extra precautions now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

zhar posted:

Should I cancel my dentist appointment next week? The fact that the dentist breathes over peoples faces all day seems pretty risky, but I don't know when this ends and I'd be able to get an appointment in the future. I don't know if they take extra precautions now.

Phone and ask? I'm sure by next week any non-emergency dental work will be off the table.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010

Sanford posted:

What happens if you just... don't?

I'm considering it, but they'd likely withdraw their sponsorship and I don't have enough to pay for the rest of the course myself, so it'd make the last nearly 3 years of my life pointless. Even when we're in England I can't just walk off because they've got my passport, seaman's book, etc. locked away in a safe.

I'm giving serious thought to injuring myself or something so they have to take me off but realistically I'm too much of a coward to do it. I'd need to do it soon though because by the time I'm closest to the uk/Ireland again the hospitals'll be overwhelmed.

bessantj posted:

Nope, merchant navy. Purely civilian. One of the many, many reasons I didn't join the Royal Navy was to avoid this kind of bullshit.

Magner fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 17, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stanley johnson seems like he might need to.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

OwlFancier posted:

Stanley johnson seems like he might need to.

He should just do what all of us in this thread do: Self isolate, panic buy a half dozen bottles of whiskey off Amazon, then day drink while desperately refreshing the guardian live blog.

On a semi-serious note though I can imagine a lot of undiagnosed (especially older bougie) alcoholics out there suddenly getting DTs and withdrawal symptoms when left alone in a house without booze for two weeks. Delirium Tremens of course often require hospitalisation...

E: Looks like some wine moms are already switched on to this issue

quote:

Wine buffs have been stocking up on Italian, French and English wines as well as sherry and brandy amid fears that coronavirus lockdowns may interrupt supplies.
Sales of Italian and French wines soared 44% and 68% respectively at Majestic Wine over the weekend while sales of English wines were up 124% and sherry up 114%. Surprisingly, some were still in the mood for a celebrating with sales of sparkling wine up 34% and brandy up 54%. Majestic said it was ramping up its free delivery service which had seen a tripling of demand in a week.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Magner posted:

seaman's book, etc. locked away in a safe.

seems a bit excessive, I just used to keep mine under my bed