Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
trudeau is more late for this press conference than trump has ever been to one of his lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bonus points if it's the most milquetoast non-action possible

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

watching the number go up and down is kinda entertaining.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
guess my under 30% chance of border closure was wrong...should've gone the other way (over 30% / under 30% they don't)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
goddammit why can’t we keep the americans out

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
reporter: "why are americans still allowed to come here"

trudeau: dodges the question over and over again

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

he’s worried that trump will just invade us if we close it, probably not unreasonably

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I think it has something to do with our economy collapsing in hours if they close the border.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

We’ve closed the border except for the one country that’s handling this pandemic worse than anywhere else and the only one we share a land border with.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
my bet is combination of trade with the us collapsing if american truck drivers can't cross the border and not wanting to piss off trump in a time when international collaboration is maybe more important than ever in our lifetimes

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
We get too much poo poo from the US to completely shut it down.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

upgunned shitpost posted:

I think it has something to do with our economy collapsing in hours if they close the border.

Definitely this. Also my fiance is american so dont close the border until he gets his permanent residency :ohdear:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I feel like you could make an exception for commercial vehicles and supply chain while keeping out these people:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/on-air/as-seen-on/spring-break-goes-on-in-fort-lauderdale-amid-coronavirus-concerns/2205470/

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

upgunned shitpost posted:

Yeah. Trump has nothing to do with it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Starks posted:

I feel like you could make an exception for commercial vehicles and supply chain while keeping out these people:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/on-air/as-seen-on/spring-break-goes-on-in-fort-lauderdale-amid-coronavirus-concerns/2205470/

Probably, but we have those people here already.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

just lol, in quarantine from someone travelling from DC. We need a major relief package.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let's just lock everybody inside and see which doors stink come spring, huh? Seems to be what Justin's willing to spend on this

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm trying to guess what the death toll has to hit for us to see a GTA lockdown. 500? 1,000?

Shouldn't take too long to find out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FYI there is more testing in MB than only people who travel. I know of at least one test administered to a person who was symptomatic but who hadn't themselves travelled.

The big problem is that all of the tests need to be shipped to Winnipeg;

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the province has its information confused in its own press conferences then lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is Canadian Autarky even possible?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

Canadian Autarky

Jooch, eh?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
So, I work in health care. I just got off a hellish two week schedule so of course my body gave me my decompression cold. Happens quite a bit. I get through something stressful, I get sick when I have time to enjoy myself.

Anyhoo. Scratchy throat that went away in a day, now a dry cough and some sneezing. A cold.

WHich, of course, is the wrong time to have. SO I called work, they gave me the Manitoba health care workers line to call so they can OK me back to work.

Except, the line is now only open from 8am-4pm and you can't speak to anyone, just leave your name and number.

So, after waiting a business day, they tell me to call Healthlinks after 6, since that's when health care workers can call.

I am currently on hold. I have no idea how a general healthlinks (as opposed to the number specifically for health care workers) line has the power to OK me back to work in a way that I couldn't just bullshit either way (they said to isolate OR they said *cough cough* I'm okay *hack cough die*). I assume the other line documented and kept track of the health care workers, could figure where I worked and sent them a message (maybe not with privacy laws?) since it was set up for that. But, this? No idea what's going to happen but strap in kiddo's.

The worst part about healthlinks right now is the "hold" music only works like once every 3 turns, so you're faced with silence instead and the assumption the first time is to hang up.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

I'm trying to guess what the death toll has to hit for us to see a GTA lockdown. 500? 1,000?

Shouldn't take too long to find out.

I'm more or less convinced that's the word that went out to grocery store managers last night

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I'm more or less convinced that's the word that went out to grocery store managers last night

What exactly do you think was said/happened?

The grocery store I work at tried calling me in, they seem to be trying to meet demand and get anyone possible in.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/OC_Transpo/status/1239690433585983489?s=20

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Inspiring_leadership.jpg

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

The grocery store I work at tried calling me in, they seem to be trying to meet demand and get anyone possible in.

yeah the theme so far at my store is basically "we don't want you here if you're sick but if you aren't sick we want you as much as possible"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Another Bill posted:

Inspiring_leadership.jpg

I really don't trust any of these half-melted pasty-looking motherfuckers to tell me about health issues.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

Yeah they want anybody they can get at mine too, we tried putting the paper up on the shelves but people just tore into the boxes as we put them down.

A manager told a few people in the meat department (all at once, so there were multiple witnesses) that she had received an email (from who? the company or the government? I don't know) saying that everything but grocery stores and gas stations would be locked down today. Later that night after we closed I asked her about it, and she looked alarmed, fumbled to deny it and literally ran away.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tighclops posted:

Yeah they want anybody they can get at mine too, we tried putting the paper up on the shelves but people just tore into the boxes as we put them down.

A manager told a few people in the meat department (all at once, so there were multiple witnesses) that she had received an email (from who? the company or the government? I don't know) saying that everything but grocery stores and gas stations would be locked down today. Later that night after we closed I asked her about it, and she looked alarmed, fumbled to deny it and literally ran away.

Arivia posted:

yeah the theme so far at my store is basically "we don't want you here if you're sick but if you aren't sick we want you as much as possible"

Yeah this all adds up. When i was there Friday my store second was extremely sick. When I called them to say I'm in isolation the manager seemed a bit peeved, but nothing too bad. I only had to cancel one shift fortunately, which is next friday. I had taken time off to work a ton at my good job, but we all got exposed to someone with corona so welp.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ottawa shutting down

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/three-new-ottawa-covid-19-cases-confirmed

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh god they are replaying the Leafs-Wings deciding game from '93. Kill me.

e. nice to hear Bob and Harry again though

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Mar 17, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Oh god they are replaying the Leafs-Wings deciding game from '93. Kill me.

e. nice to hear Bob and Harry again though

The best announcer combo definitely

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

They're going to get comfy replaying classic HNIC games and let one slip where Don Cherry REALLY gets racist* and it's going to make me laugh

*always was but upon reflection

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

So, I work in health care. I just got off a hellish two week schedule so of course my body gave me my decompression cold. Happens quite a bit. I get through something stressful, I get sick when I have time to enjoy myself.

Anyhoo. Scratchy throat that went away in a day, now a dry cough and some sneezing. A cold.

WHich, of course, is the wrong time to have. SO I called work, they gave me the Manitoba health care workers line to call so they can OK me back to work.

Except, the line is now only open from 8am-4pm and you can't speak to anyone, just leave your name and number.

So, after waiting a business day, they tell me to call Healthlinks after 6, since that's when health care workers can call.

I am currently on hold. I have no idea how a general healthlinks (as opposed to the number specifically for health care workers) line has the power to OK me back to work in a way that I couldn't just bullshit either way (they said to isolate OR they said *cough cough* I'm okay *hack cough die*). I assume the other line documented and kept track of the health care workers, could figure where I worked and sent them a message (maybe not with privacy laws?) since it was set up for that. But, this? No idea what's going to happen but strap in kiddo's.

The worst part about healthlinks right now is the "hold" music only works like once every 3 turns, so you're faced with silence instead and the assumption the first time is to hang up.

Good way to keep the metrics down if you make people disconnect!

"Our hold time was only 3 minutes during the crisis" (3 minutes for non-dropped calls)

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Yeah, as a follow up to that, I got through 4 (!) hours later to be told that yes, I am fine (duh) but no, they can't clear me for work, only the other line can.

Other line called today and said I'm fine but not allowed to go back to work until I stop coughing and sneezing.

Information is fluid, it seems. Procedures are also fluid. So am I, sneezing up fluid ho ho ho

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

as a real punctuality nut this late rear end PM is really pissing me off :wtc:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Yeah, as a follow up to that, I got through 4 (!) hours later to be told that yes, I am fine (duh) but no, they can't clear me for work, only the other line can.

Other line called today and said I'm fine but not allowed to go back to work until I stop coughing and sneezing.

Information is fluid, it seems. Procedures are also fluid. So am I, sneezing up fluid ho ho ho

jfc i hate everything right now, i hope things get better for you personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Our premier just used a wholesome, down to earth, analogy that we always flood, so it's not if the water is coming, but how can we slow it or make it less. So hey, we're all going to get the cornoavirus---

Wait, sorry? You gutted our medical system, and sat on your hands to do anything (50 or less gatherings is a "strong recommendation" but they refuse to close bars or anything, and schools close on friday because "well the 50 won't all be in one room, so it's okay")

Also, Indigenous people and isolated northern communities? He stammered, passed the question off to someone else and he said we're doing things, we'll keep doing things.