Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

RockyB posted:

I'm assuming merchant navy: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/merchant-navy-engineering-officer

Sounds like a poo poo position to be in mate. Good luck, hopefully they remember to keep sending you food.

On the bright side, our substitute PM has just chimed in on the Corona Crisis

Boomers, for fucks sake nobody 'needs' to go to the pub.

Looking at the permanent alcoholic bloat on Boris I'd say he's fast approaching a need to go to the pub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Time to get the old poitín operation going in the shedlet imo :banjo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Time to get the old poitín operation going in the shedlet imo
:hfive:

You can make hand sanitizer with it too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

minema posted:

I can't work out the guidelines they've given - if you have symptoms you must self isolate for 7 days, if you live with others they have to isolate for 14 days, but does the original symptomatic person self isolate for 7 or 14 days?

Seven days. You isolate until it's sure the virus has run its course. The others isolate for the incubation period to make sure they don't have it too.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've developed a fever and my arms are tingling so I've been sent home!

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Government advice if self isolating is thats it ok to go outside and exercise if youre avoiding people and keeping 6 ft away. Is this correct or the same bad science that tells them that we should aim to infect 80% of the population? I want to cardio as itll help the immune system, but not if it poses any risk to people.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RockyB posted:

I'm assuming merchant navy: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/merchant-navy-engineering-officer

Sounds like a poo poo position to be in mate. Good luck, hopefully they remember to keep sending you food.

Of course.

Magner posted:

Nope, merchant navy. Purely civilian. One of the many, many reasons I didn't join the Royal Navy was to avoid this kind of bullshit.

Seems pretty poo poo then mate, hope you work with a decent bunch of lads?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Waitrose (I know, I know, wall) near me is loving packed at the moment, lots of people going around not quite panicking but very close.

Lots of fresh fruit and veg/ freezable stuff though, so I was able to pick up some quorn mince that can technically last till the end of April and that I can make into spag bol if I need it.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Due to it being the only loaf on the shelf. I just had a Warbertons fruit loaf, corned beef and tomato sauce sandwich for dinner. It was ace and the sultanas really complemented the tomato.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/alisonwyork/status/1239889063471124480?s=19

As Dead Kennedys once said, "let's lynch the landlord"

Mebh
May 10, 2010

This weird dystopian hell future is getting out of hand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that pronounced as english or german?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is that pronounced as english or german?

I don't even know. It's an e scooter company that has been pushing their transport the safest way to avoid public transport. I've been pronouncing it the German way.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

:murder:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Please only take a little Splach. just enough from you and your family. Splach supplies are limited and we need to make sure there is enough Splach to go around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Splach your rear end for Britain.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do not, my friends, become addicted to splach. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Starting to feel like I should have been a little more proactive in registering with a GP practice within walking distance, rather than continuing to go to the one on the other side of town and just getting the bus over whenever I needed supplies of minor luxuries like, say, antidepressants and estrogen

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

zhar posted:

Should I cancel my dentist appointment next week? The fact that the dentist breathes over peoples faces all day seems pretty risky, but I don't know when this ends and I'd be able to get an appointment in the future. I don't know if they take extra precautions now.
I had a dental appointment this morning (well, hygienist, but same thing as far as this is concerned)

I was worried about going, but a friend of my wife is a dental nurse and reassured me that - of all of these types of places, dentists practice by far the best hygiene purely because they're basically always rooting around in people's mouths.

The hygienist wore a clear plastic mask (kind of like a welding mask, but clear) so she wasn't able to breathe on me or anything, and vice versa.

You'll be fine.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks for the support during my wobble the other day.

Trip report from the West End: yesterday's afternoon rehearsal turned into a meeting with the producer/theatre owner, who was all on board the government advice train, reasoning that if the scientists said it was ok, then we should keep going. People objected, not on self-preservation grounds so much as "is it responsible of us as actors to invite people to form a crowd". We split off into Equity/Bectu/MU meetings to discuss, but any outcome was preempted by Boris' press conference (which we played over the PA, ugh).

So we are officially shut down, and I'm on a Eurostar home - given that it's a global pandemic, I shouldn't feel relieved and guilty to be leaving the UK, but that's Toryism I guess. As mentioned, theatre is full of actual, legitimate freelancers who are going to be totally screwed by this. The theatres themselves at risk. I really don't know what our sector will look like on the other side of this.

Now I'm going home to be with my cat for as long as his health allows. He shall not be allowed to suffer, but I'm glad I can see him again :unsmith:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
* sad trombone noises *

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1239910681886982144?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, lol:

https://twitter.com/peston/status/1239875408939679744?s=21

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOPc8HdEZI

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

stocks way down in my local tesco but i could still buy milk, cheese, eggs and bread. i even left the only pasta left for someone else because i already have 4 bags at home.

at least the panic buying isn't too insane here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw it so you have to as well

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1239873928589463552

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

Starting to feel like I should have been a little more proactive in registering with a GP practice within walking distance, rather than continuing to go to the one on the other side of town and just getting the bus over whenever I needed supplies of minor luxuries like, say, antidepressants and estrogen

Also probably not the greatest judgement call ever made to send my passport off for renewal a few days ago, that being the main form of ID I have to prove who I am if I were to need to register at another GP practice for some reason. i'm sure it will be returned very quickly and there will be no hold ups in the national infrastructure

Q: hey, angepain, where did you ask that passport to be delivered to? A: Why, my parents' house on the other side of town, of course! Call me Captain Reasonable Choices

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Your daily garden bird update:

~chirp~

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

minema posted:

I can't work out the guidelines they've given - if you have symptoms you must self isolate for 7 days, if you live with others they have to isolate for 14 days, but does the original symptomatic person self isolate for 7 or 14 days?

If you are on your own, its 7 days. If you live in a house with other people its everyone for 14 days.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hemale in pain posted:

stocks way down in my local tesco but i could still buy milk, cheese, eggs and bread. i even left the only pasta left for someone else because i already have 4 bags at home.

at least the panic buying isn't too insane here.

Sainsbury's was disgusting today. Plenty of fresh food but everything that could last more than a week or so is wiped out. Not to mention toiletries.

One woman was shovelling the last 10 tins of chopped tomatoes into her basket despite multiple members of staff basically shouting at her to put them back and stop being so selfish. Utterly ignored. gently caress all of these people and thank gently caress for the patience of heroic supermarket staff this week. They should each come out of this with massive bonuses (lol).

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

quote:

Even Tories are talking to me about the probable need for a temporary universal basic income, to get round all that confusion of which welfare payments kick in to whom, and to save many younger people in particular falling through the existing state safety net.

Tories, upon finally realising their voting base is dying off, blindside Labour by going hardcore into leftwing nationalisation and monetary policy. They win in 2025 with an increased majority.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
7 days seems absurdly short anyway when Whythe is on Day 10 already.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

stev posted:

Sainsbury's was disgusting today. Plenty of fresh food but everything that could last more than a week or so is wiped out. Not to mention toiletries.

One woman was shovelling the last 10 tins of chopped tomatoes into her basket despite multiple members of staff basically shouting at her to put them back and stop being so selfish. Utterly ignored. gently caress all of these people and thank gently caress for the patience of heroic supermarket staff this week. They should each come out of this with massive bonuses (lol).

I mean, do these people even know what to do with tinned tomatoes? do they plan on just eating them from the can

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's fairly hard to do wrong with tinned tomatoes IMO.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

I’ll see you, and I’ll raise

https://twitter.com/emmakennedy/status/1239876142326317057?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah they go in quite a lot of the dishes we make at home.

So I would've quite liked to have bought a tin or two today.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

This guy is pissing me off, he keeps taking screenshots of freely available information so it looks like he’s some sort of super journalist and you have to go dig to find the source.

Special needs schools have started giving the middle finger to the DoE and shutting down

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the avi that does it for me, the stupid dumb cartoon face next to godawful tweets and articles.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Not surprising, but literally every piece on the Guardian's Opinion page is about the virus. Including one from Ed "The Enforcer" Miliband.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We bulk buy huge bags of flour to make our own sourdough because we're insufferable hipsters but it's all looking pretty good for right now. We've got enough to bash out about 30 loaves just now. Bringing forwards our planting plans slightly, doing a bit more indoors so we have fresh salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

not sure if someone panic buying them just because will be making anything with them tho