Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm not entirely sure what a picture window is, so I don't think we have those; or at least the concept of windows in a residential building that aren't designed to be opened to let air in is extremely foreign to me. I've also never heard of storm windows before.

it's almost unheard of for houses or even apartment buildings in Australia to have central heating or AC. Lots of people have reverse cycle air-conditioning, in the form of a unit mounted on the wall connected to a box on the outside wall; but even 20 years ago that would have been considered an extravagant luxury, and although it's pretty common now most people would have one or two rooms air conditioned at best. I did some quick googling and it looks like around 25% of households don't have aircon, and the percentage of people with aircon has doubled in the past 20 years.

We tend to treat aircon and heating as last resorts - I wouldn't normally switch on the AC unless it was over 30c and there was no breeze. Most people that I know of would wear multiple layers of sweaters before they turned on a heater.

25c is a pleasant winter midday where I live. In summer it's frequently pushing 30 even in the middle of the night. 25c is what we normally set the aircon to.

Behold! The average American window.

If you look through the window you can see a second pane with a metal frame. That's a storm window, basically a second layer of window that's lighter and removable; it provides extra insulation. The upper half is the screen which can be slid up or down so when I want an open window, I just move the glass storm window section up/down, and move the screen over the opening to keep bugs out.

Energy is pretty cheap in the US, so we love our AC, especially in the south where it gets super humid on top of the heat. I'm comfortable with just fans until it starts getting over 35, but I have to run it anyway just to keep the mold at bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Flyscreens are not needed in the UK. The one thing this lovely little isle has as a bonus.
(WhY would you live where there is bugs? Ewwwww)

Are you excluding Scotland from the UK? Because I remember absolutely ravenous biting midges down near some of the Lochs, and I don't remember the Midlands being exactly bug-free, either.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

there wolf posted:

If you look through the window you can see a second pane with a metal frame. That's a storm window, basically a second layer of window that's lighter and removable; it provides extra insulation. The upper half is the screen which can be slid up or down so when I want an open window, I just move the glass storm window section up/down, and move the screen over the opening to keep bugs out.

Energy is pretty cheap in the US, so we love our AC, especially in the south where it gets super humid on top of the heat. I'm comfortable with just fans until it starts getting over 35, but I have to run it anyway just to keep the mold at bay.

Yeah we definitely don’t have storm windows. The overwhelming majority of us don’t even have double glazed windows. Or insulation for that matter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you excluding Scotland from the UK? Because I remember absolutely ravenous biting midges down near some of the Lochs, and I don't remember the Midlands being exactly bug-free, either.

LOL Scotland isn't real.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "dome"

looks very safe

the Teletubbies went to art school

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Some of those own. Some of them don't. I'm glad they exist, though.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Youth Decay posted:

Irrationally angry at the water cooler being placed in front of the mirror.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

there wolf posted:

One of the best parts about moving from the US to Germany was discovering the amazingness that is German-style windows. Here's an annoying Youtuber describing them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taff2jJKaZs

I'm in a warmer, more humid part of the country though and while flyscreens are definitely not necessary and are very much not the norm, a lot of people (including me) do have these velcro screens attached to their balcony doors that do a relatively okay job of keeping stray flies out. And we have a few plants on our balcony that attract bees, so it keeps them out too.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I live in the Midlands, I get a few house spiders but that's it

Being around a body of water is probably worse, the reservoir has mayflies sometimes

But there are no plague-like swarms of mosquitoes, locusts or cockroaches like America gets ( probably because we're not warm enough)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/us/mayflies-swarm-ohio-trnd/index.html

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 15, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is how the bedroom windows in our house are designed. Yes we've lived here since 2014 and I've yet to install any curtains around this window.

Anyway both windows can be opened but the big one has two locks and they are covered, the key is stored elsewhere, looks like a removable handle, like on the small window.

And on the inside there is a double pane window, and on the outside there is a permanently mounted storm window, that pane is mostly sealed but not completely, so some air circulation happens between the two sections. You can see the hinges that they rotate on when opened.

This is another window but shows the small window-portion opened, again a double pane window and an outer storm window, this time locked to the interior frame so it also opens, and furthest out is the screen:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sloth Life posted:

But there are no plague-like swarms of mosquitoes, locusts or cockroaches like America gets ( probably because we're not warm enough)

I don't get the "not warm enough" part, Alaska has terrible mosquitos in summer.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah we definitely don’t have storm windows. The overwhelming majority of us don’t even have double glazed windows. Or insulation for that matter.

In Texas I have never seen a storm window. I have seen storm shutters on the coast, literal metal shutters that close completely for a strong storm or during a hurricane, but never a full bolted on 2nd window.

Older construction has a single layer of glass.

Newer construction will have double glazed windows with argon (or another moisture-free gas, to precent condensation) in between the glass layers for insulation, and probably have a UV blocking coating for extra energy efficiency.

Almost all windows in the southern US are screened because there are huge bugs, and because malaria was endemic to the southern US until the 1950s or so, so mosquitoes were a Big Deal (and still are, but they don’t carry malaria anymore, now it’s West Nile Virus and other things).

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't get the "not warm enough" part, Alaska has terrible mosquitos in summer.

Shrug, it's what I have always assumed (mosquitoes survive in hot countries) and we don't have too much of a problem here. I've seen pictures of New Orleans being swarmed

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL Scotland isn't real.

We have midges in the countryside during midge season, not really a thing in populated areas.

Midlands is no different from the rest of the country insect wise.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I have an old house and most of the windows were retrofitted with storm windows (which include screens) at some point in the past. I would dare to say that every (openable) new window installed in America includes a screen.

As someone with indoor cats, I never open the few windows I do have without screens.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Almost all windows in the southern US are screened because there are huge bugs, and because malaria was endemic to the southern US until the 1950s or so, so mosquitoes were a Big Deal (and still are, but they don’t carry malaria anymore, now it’s West Nile Virus and other things).

For some reason I never realized the US once had malaria. Thank you for the education today.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

If you still have it, could I get a link to this listing ? I want to know where that ladder leads. I'd go myself but that Sombrero Soldier will strike me down, causing an immediate game over, and I don't have the right items to solve the King Tut puzzle path to the right. This room feels like a garage sale.

Youth Decay posted:

I can't tell what enamors me more: the lil pink worms or the asterisk butthole windows. I really love this room, if I was still a child. Books everywhere, large space to lounge around on the floor, fantastic.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

value-brand cereal posted:

If you still have it, could I get a link to this listing ? I want to know where that ladder leads. I'd go myself but that Sombrero Soldier will strike me down, causing an immediate game over, and I don't have the right items to solve the King Tut puzzle path to the right. This room feels like a garage sale.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2295-Pioneer-Ranch-Rd-Templeton-CA-93465/2083217200_zpid/

quote:

can't tell what enamors me more: the lil pink worms or the asterisk butthole windows. I really love this room, if I was still a child. Books everywhere, large space to lounge around on the floor, fantastic.
The worms are heating pipes as far as I can tell. The whole dome-mansion is an 80s contemporary time capsule plus ugly grandma couches. Reminds me of my aunt and uncles' house but round and like 3x bigger.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/610-NE-173rd-Ter-North-Miami-Beach-FL-33162/44131161_zpid/
displaying your ketubah by your wet bar feels kinda tacky tho

I think Jews are required to have a dedicated bookcase for all the random gaudy judaica that somehow winds up in our possession . Probably in the Talmud or something.

Probably the only dome with a kosher kitchen (2 sinks and 2 of every appliance, one for meat and one for dairy/pareve)

theory: fewer doors in open floor plan dome home = less mezuzahs required

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 15, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Love the Super Mario-rear end exposed pipes running throughout. I'd go full bore and paint them green and shaded like in the game though.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "prepper" because those fuckers are probably super smug right now eating their stash of rehydrated meat or whatever

these folks even got their stash of toilet paper ready to go why is this a real estate ad photo

this hotel room sucks

a hand pump for the kitchen sink mean you're serious about it

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
This was interesting, for the kosher dome. I haven't seen schematics like this before.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don’t have window screens but I live 15 floors up :smug:

Iphone packaging doesn't come with window screens, so obviously.

Kase moch posted:

For some reason I never realized the US once had malaria. Thank you for the education today.

"Once had"?

We still get about 2k cases a year in the South.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/index.html

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 16, 2020

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
R.E. Windows -

You also do have Awnings and Casements in the US, beyond just sliding windows. For example, my house has a bunch of casements, and awning for the bathroom, and then sliding for the kitchen + garage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Didn't malaria get brought over in colonial times?

IIRC from a national geographic article, there were no Mosquitoes in North America until the explorers came. Same with earth worms apparently.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wtffff no way

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Apparently the earth worm stuff is true:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_earthworms_of_North_America

I had heard of Hawaii having no mosquitoes before white men came, because of it being insulated. But not the whole of North America.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wooger posted:

We have midges in the countryside during midge season

Moammar: *heavy breathing*

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

His Divine Shadow posted:

Apparently the earth worm stuff is true:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_earthworms_of_North_America

I had heard of Hawaii having no mosquitoes before white men came, because of it being insulated. But not the whole of North America.

Imagine, a land without mosquitos... That would be a dream come true...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I recall years ago hearing from some entomology students that there were some university researchers working on breeding mosquitoes that only sucked plant juices.

Clearly they haven't been released yet......

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "whimsical"

This is by far the best mobile home renovation I've ever seen

dream quarantine compound

NEON VICTORIAN (actually Neon Italianate)

Neon Contemporary?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kase moch posted:

One of the first major success stories for the CDC, the same organization that lead the eradication of small pox and just dropped the COVID-19 ball.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I would live in all these houses.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I... what the gently caress? The rocks go on the outside of the ridiculous female attracting showers. No no no this is all wrong! And where's the upside down wallpaper?!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

I... what the gently caress? The rocks go on the outside of the ridiculous female attracting showers. No no no this is all wrong! And where's the upside down wallpaper?!

The shower head is a copper pot with holes punched (drilled?) in the bottom.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MetaJew posted:

The shower head is a copper pot with holes punched (drilled?) in the bottom.

Can't bath your woodland nymphs in a regular Kohler rainfall shower head.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That head above the blue curtain.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Not sure if this is where to post this, but how do I remove this kind of phone plate? The weird button bolt things don’t pull out, and they just spin it I try to twist them.

https://ibb.co/pyRR2gk

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This was interesting, for the kosher dome.

KOSHER DOME
TWO KITCHENS ENTER
TWO KITCHENS REMAIN

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Not sure if this is where to post this, but how do I remove this kind of phone plate? The weird button bolt things don’t pull out, and they just spin it I try to twist them.

Pry them out with a flathead screwdiver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Those bolts are to hang the phone on. Get a rotary phone and toss it on, problem solved!