Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/globepolitics/status/1239915905808769024

if??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
On, one would hope

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 9, 2022

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

StealthArcher posted:

So Purolator has hired a " Company Health Representative" to put on the new TVs they installed. He in his message has proceeded to say "please come to work, your chance of catching covid 19 is extremely low" " it has very low survivability" and topped it off with " nothing will change and we will soon see freight as normal even from China".

Jesus gently caress I almost want to photograph it and tweet it it's so dumb.

you should!

UPS sent us our new guidelines, and they're basically 'no touching.' we're also confirmed to still be on in the event of a shutdown. if we're sick, we're to fall back on EI and stay home. i can't speak for actual UPS employees, but my coworkers can't afford that.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 9, 2022

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Congratulations to our new Reichsfuhrer I guess.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Minneapolis International is a ghost town. Heavily armed police patrolling everywhere, flights boarding 5 people tops, TSA re-scanned my bag twice because it had a Kindle in it and then gave me poo poo (despite the TSA specifically not caring about tablets for almost a decade and having signs stating such). This is what I imagine it was like to fly in the weeks following 9/11.

Only plane which has left close to half-full had 50+ seniors boarding a flight to Cancun. I've never seen a mass suicide happen live before, pretty wild.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wait, so if the Prime Minister can't serve, then the Deputy Prime Mi...

Sorry, back up I'm still not getting this.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I'll miss my Facebook feed being a layer cake of serious warnings to avoid travel and crowds, and your international vacation photos.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

Congratulations to our new Reichsfuhrer I guess.

I gotta say, this is not how I expected it to go down.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

infernal machines posted:

I gotta say, this is not how I expected it to go down.

As someone regularly predicting the end of the modern world for the past five years, I definitely expected to have a fair bit more time to get my affairs in order before the crunch.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I work at a large insurance company's mail room and we're still working. Lots of us jammed into a basement room handling poo poo from who knows where.

It's pretty dumb.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Rime posted:

As someone regularly predicting the end of the modern world for the past five years, I definitely expected to have a fair bit more time to get my affairs in order before the crunch.

I'm sure the world will end one of these years and then you'll finally get to be right for a change

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

You can undercook pork and overcook fish; nobody can gently caress up chicken.

"Samonella? What's that?"

If I had to guess, I would say it's more due to chicken being the one animal that everyone can eat, without any cultural taboos against (if this is wrong, please let me know), and it goes well with practically everything.

Though my wife will be pissed, we regularly stock up on drumsticks every couple of monthes and we're almost out.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Booourns posted:

I'm sure the world will end one of these years and then you'll finally get to be right for a change

We're looking at every airline on earth going bankrupt and requiring a bailout in the next month. Mostly because they were idiots and spent all their money pumping their own stock, but that's a cornerstone of modern infrastructure requiring direct government intervention.

The free movement of people internationally just ended for at least a month, that's trillions in revenue across the entire spectrum wiped out in 48 hours.

Exports from China probably have another 40-60 days before they're flowing again, they're still running most of the country at 20% of manufacturing capacity at best and only the biggest ships go straight trans-pacific. Supply chains are already at their breaking point, we are going to see a large chunk of whatever manufacturing remains in Europe & America shut down within weeks.

Most of the health care professionals NPR has had on over the past 48 hours are stating unequivocally that this is going to be peaking by June in NA & Europe because of how ghoulishly rear end-backwards the government response has been.

I know some goons don't have the best critical thinking skills but it really doesn't take a genius to understand that the global economy is going to look like the EEG scan of a patient with a severed brainstem if this continues for three months. I'm leaving a state which just sold out of ammunition and major retailers have suspended online orders for loving crossbows due to demand. The USA was already teetering on the cliff of destabilizing as a nation due to a whole clusterfuck of competing reasons, the economy suffering a grand mal seizure and collapsing is going to sparta-kick it right off.

You're about to experience what happens when a systemic breakdown occurs in a world dependent on centralized Just In Time delivery infrastructure a service-based economy. It isn't going to be pretty, I am going to be right, and I accept that most are going to keep their heads in the sand until we're well into the poo poo.

We are, right now, only in the first microseconds of having stepped into the poo poo. I suggest you start reading up on how people survived in Bosnia through the 1990's.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011
Can someone explain to me why Vancouver and BC generally is being so lax about all of this?

COVID-19 advisory: Vancouver restaurant staff member tests positive

Article posted:

VCH said there is no risk to anyone outside of that time period or to anyone who was in other parts of the hotel.

“Public Health Officials have completed a risk assessment and concluded that the risk to people at the restaurant at the time was low, but we are making this notification out of an abundance of caution,” a press release stated.

VCH said this restaurant staff is connected to travel and other previously announced cases.

The person is self-isolating and recovering at home and there is no ongoing risk to the Showcase Restaurant and Bar establishment, according to health officials.

Patrons who were in the restaurant at the specified times are asked to monitor symptoms of fever, cough, shortness of breath, sore throat and headache. If respiratory symptoms become worse, it is advised to seek medical help.

VCH said there is no need for people who visited the restaurant at those times to self-isolate for 14 days if they remain healthy and do not develop systems.

Like we know this virus has high rates of transmission and asymptomatic shedding for up to 14 days?

Edited for autocorrect being a dick.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 17, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Counterpoint: Doomsayers are as old as the written word. Like all things, this too shall pass.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Goosed it. posted:

Canned someone explain to me why Vancouver and BC generally is being so lax about all of this?

What about Vancouver over the past ten years has made you think, at any point, "yes, this is well-run city full of very smart people"?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Goosed it. posted:

Canned someone explain to me why Vancouver and BC generally is being so lax about all of this?

Like we know this virus has high rates of transmission and asymptomatic shedding for up to 14 days?
So, they won't be for long. Lionsgate Hospital on the north shore is on diversion for any new admissions as there's 17 (!) cases of influenza-like illness admitted but without confirmation yet.

It's here in force.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Another Bill posted:

Counterpoint: Doomsayers are as old as the written word. Like all things, this too shall pass.

The Black Death hit Europe when they had essentially no theory of how diseases work and had limited medical treatment and gently caress all for logistics, and it didn't destroy society and in fact led, in many ways, to an improved economy and the Renaissance, but actually I'm quite sure the Coronavirus is worse and we're all hosed permanently.

This is bad, but it's not "the whole world is completely hosed, kiss your rear end goodbye" bad.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Goosed it. posted:

Across Canada the authorities are pretending that isn't true to not panic people, which is just delaying the panic for 2-14 days as people suddenly develop symptoms after contact with asymptomatic carriers and we end up with widespread untraceable community transmission because we told people not to bother doing anything unless they showed symptoms.

We're actively making the disease worse in the long run so that in the short run people don't panic. It's one of the worst possible responses.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Wow I'm so glad they are going to offer loans to Canadian stranded outside the country. Couldn't have just given people money. Liberals are useless.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

The Black Death hit Europe when they had essentially no theory of how diseases work and had limited medical treatment and gently caress all for logistics, and it didn't destroy society and in fact led, in many ways, to an improved economy and the Renaissance, but actually I'm quite sure the Coronavirus is worse and we're all hosed permanently.

This is bad, but it's not "the whole world is completely hosed, kiss your rear end goodbye" bad.

If you seriously want to pretend that the hyper-local supply chain logistics of medieval Europe during the black death are in any way comparable to the fragile global network which keeps the modern world functional, I honestly dont know what to say.

Wow. Just wow.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I don't say this lightly but at this point I wish the Conservatives had won the last election because there's at least a slightly chance they would have done a better job of responding than this. It goes beyond ideology because we've seen governments around the world and even the conservative provincial government in Quebec all mounting significantly better responses. The specific people running our government(s) are bungling this horrifically and are lying to the public to maintain calm in ways that are going to greatly exacerbate the death toll. And all to delay measures that will be necessary soon anyway.

This is a profound national shame.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Goosed it. posted:

A week ago I thought that BC was doing “ok”, but it’s starting to feel inadequate and late now. Hard to tell if that is real or the rising anxiety speaking.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

Spanish Flu:
Far deadlier than coronavirus
Hit during the biggest war the world had ever seen so everything was already hosed
Medical technology and understanding of 1918

Still didn't end the world.

Not that uh...we should be happy with Spanish Flu-level deaths. I agree that the infrastructure impact could theoretically be more damaging since there's just way more infrastructure to be impacted than existed in 1918.

I don't disagree that the global economy will be hosed sideways from this, but it still appears recoverable. We're obviously far more globally linked than we were in 1918 and poo poo is going to get bad but...society-ending bad?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Helsing posted:

I don't say this lightly but at this point I wish the Conservatives had won the last election because there's at least a slightly chance they would have done a better job of responding than this. It goes beyond ideology because we've seen governments around the world and even the conservative provincial government in Quebec all mounting significantly better responses. The specific people running our government(s) are bungling this horrifically and are lying to the public to maintain calm in ways that are going to greatly exacerbate the death toll. And all to delay measures that will be necessary soon anyway.

Counterpoint, conservative provincial governments other than Quebec have dragged their feet just as much (if not more in the case of Alberta), they would have instituted even more cuts that would have made us even less capable to deal with it, and you're talking about Andrew loving Scheer giving leadership? Like him and the ghouls that orbited him? I get the Liberal response is shameful but I think it's crazy to think a Scheer government would have been more proactive.

I think Quebec is a bit of an exception here, not the rule that Cons could handle it better. Scheer probably would have just announced that milk cures COVID in an attempt to pander to the dairy lobby.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

The Republicans are beginning to outflank the Democrats on the left (if the donor class lets them) lol

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

A week ago I thought that BC was doing “ok”, but it’s starting to feel inadequate and late now. Hard to tell if that is real or the rising anxiety speaking.

I think it's real. poo poo like that is unconscionable and denies everything we know about the virus. When Doug Ford looks more competent than you, you're in trouble.

PT6A posted:

What about Vancouver over the past ten years has made you think, at any point, "yes, this is well-run city full of very smart people"?

I'm a fairly new transplant so I guess I just had faith.

vyelkin posted:

Across Canada the authorities are pretending that isn't true to not panic people, which is just delaying the panic for 2-14 days as people suddenly develop symptoms after contact with asymptomatic carriers and we end up with widespread untraceable community transmission because we told people not to bother doing anything unless they showed symptoms.

We're actively making the disease worse in the long run so that in the short run people don't panic. It's one of the worst possible responses.

I know I just don't get why. If you ask people not to go to restaurants and bars but won't shut them down because of the economic impact of shutting then down, you are implying that you know people want listen to your request.

I also wish that people in general but especially policy makers were less short-sighted about economics. The longer this goes on, the worse and more costly it will be. The cost effective thing to do is act now. Postponing the decision is not buying time, it's just increasing costs down the road.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 17, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

If you seriously want to pretend that the hyper-local supply chain logistics of medieval Europe during the black death are in any way comparable to the fragile global network which keeps the modern world functional, I honestly dont know what to say.

Wow. Just wow.

Trade was vastly more labour-intensive, agriculture was much more fragile, and urban living was absolutely as reliant on both as it is today. The Black Death was an order of magnitude worse than even the absolute worst-case scenarios of Coronavirus. Your doomsaying on this topic is utterly absurd.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Just FYI guys I am the protagonist in this plague story so I will obviously survive into the Brave New World, having foretold all this and prepared and still barely survived through grit and determination. There's a hot babe (scientist?? doctor??) clinging to my arm. Some of you, unfortunately, as posting sidekicks, will not make it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I don't really understand the point of extending the tax filing deadline other then just to keep people from having to go and work at the tax center? The huge majority of the country pays income tax paycheque to paycheque that money is already gone.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There are survivors of an apocalypse living among us to this day. The indigenous people of the Americas endured waves of plagues that outpaced the Black Death with mortality rates somewhere around 90-95% and imperial extermination efforts that have lasted centuries.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

There are survivors of an apocalypse living among us to this day. The indigenous people of the Americas endured waves of plagues that outpaced the Black Death with mortality rates somewhere around 90-95% and imperial extermination efforts that have lasted centuries.

Yeah, but did they have just-in-time delivery? Oh I don't loving think so! Ergo, we're all hosed, I'm very smart and right, you'll see!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Fidelitious posted:

Spanish Flu:
Far deadlier than coronavirus
Hit during the biggest war the world had ever seen so everything was already hosed
Medical technology and understanding of 1918

Still didn't end the world.

Not that uh...we should be happy with Spanish Flu-level deaths. I agree that the infrastructure impact could theoretically be more damaging since there's just way more infrastructure to be impacted than existed in 1918.

I don't disagree that the global economy will be hosed sideways from this, but it still appears recoverable. We're obviously far more globally linked than we were in 1918 and poo poo is going to get bad but...society-ending bad?

Tell that to the Tsars!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

Politics derail!

https://twitter.com/AB_MD_WarRoom/status/1239638262790017024

"Wow," I said as I waited for my CT scan to be read, "it's great that this is being done by the lowest bidder." Cough cough.

Seriously, the plan is likely for a bunch of imaging reading to be outsourced. Which isn't necessarily terrible - Indian radiologists are well-trained - but if something is wrong then who the gently caress do I call?

"Shandemic" is good.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dreylad posted:

The Republicans are beginning to outflank the Democrats on the left (if the donor class lets them) lol

They really aren't.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Trump just asked for a trillion dollars in business tax cuts and bailout money for large corporations so we aren't there yet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

OTOH I'm not sure why you have confidence in the forces aligned with Andy "the milkman" Scheer

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't really understand the point of extending the tax filing deadline other then just to keep people from having to go and work at the tax center? The huge majority of the country pays income tax paycheque to paycheque that money is already gone.

The market loves it, since it's a great way for money touchers to get creative with accounting while they await the bigger bailouts to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I fully believe the government and society as a whole would restart things and let legions of old people die without treatment, as utterly horrifying as that would be, before letting us get to the point of loving Bosnia in the 90s.

Like what, is the Army of the Thunder Bay Republic going to start shelling Sudbury?