Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/rachel_sg/status/1239815425371897856

I save every Tory MP's life every day by the same method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
My wife and I were supposed to go down to London on Sunday to get her a new passport on the Monday but the consulate cancelled all their appointments so we're not going. The trainline are refusing to refund advance single tickets for the trains so the advice is to change the ticket to a future date even if you don't know when (or if) you'll travel again. :bang:

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay I'm fairly sure this is coincidental/psychological but has anyone noticed just how warm the sunshine is for mid-March? Like it you're out in it it legit feels like a summers day until the air moves a bit and you realise we're still technically in winter. I'm sure I remember a similar feeling in September 2001 when all the planes were grounded, is it possible that the lack of contrails actually makes a noticeable difference?

Yes, this was absolutely a thing, stopping air traffic raises global temperatures temporarily because of the lack of extra artificial clouds.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Moonwolf posted:

Yes, this was absolutely a thing, stopping air traffic raises global temperatures temporarily because of the lack of extra artificial clouds.

Potentially also useful in reducing the efficiency of the virus, should it be sensitive to heat as most of them are

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Moonwolf posted:

Not by a noticeable amount though - total temperature increase from plane aerosols is 0.05 C at best. It's an factor to consider in climate simulations, but won't have anything to do with the weather we're feeling now - that's just the effects of long term warning becoming more noticeable this decade.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coughed a little earlier and my boss looked at me like a deer in the headlights and now I don't dare cough again in case I have the roni.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

He looks boozey af and did not sign up for anything like this amount of work.

Yeah, pretty sure the guy's waking up with a hangover every day at the moment, he has that bloated, exhausted look about him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FWIW he's only my boss because my previous boss is made redundant and he's my holdover boss while my redundancy clock times out, he's not really my boss and was my colleague so I'd feel bad giving him the death crown.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1239881369196658689

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've never seen that spelling before and even without the parallel to the six-toed middle name of the PM it's much more satisfying for some reason.

Neither have I and I 100% agree it's more satisfying. Possibly because it's a more pfaffy spelling?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
turns out Johnson was probably complicit in the torture of a British citizen

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

My partner is 10 weeks pregnant and works in a school so the news that she is now considered high risk is both confusing and terrifying.

I work from home and she is self-isolating although whilst the schools are still open I question the point because surely she is just as at risk as soon as she goes back to work after 7-14 days.

I've spent most of the day trying to research any known complications and the RCOG advice and it seems like at least (for now) that it shouldn't affect the pregnancy other than making herself more likely to contract it.

I've resigned myself to the inevitability that we'll get it, there is no way with the need for hospital appointments when the crisis will undoubtedly deepen.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Welp, my LA just pulled the trigger and now working in the building is the exception rather than the rule. I feel sorry for my former colleagues in tech support.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No home working for me yet, they're desperately trying to outfit everyone with crappy old laptops first, which I have to set up.

In good news, elective surgeries are apparently still going ahead for now, so that'll be one problem sorted by the end of the week for me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zip! posted:

My partner is 10 weeks pregnant and works in a school so the news that she is now considered high risk is both confusing and terrifying.

I work from home and she is self-isolating although whilst the schools are still open I question the point because surely she is just as at risk as soon as she goes back to work after 7-14 days.

I've spent most of the day trying to research any known complications and the RCOG advice and it seems like at least (for now) that it shouldn't affect the pregnancy other than making herself more likely to contract it.

I've resigned myself to the inevitability that we'll get it, there is no way with the need for hospital appointments when the crisis will undoubtedly deepen.

luckily being pregnant means if shes in the 5-20% (depending on your age) that needs to go to hospital she will be triaged right to the top of the list, at least.
its small comfort i know but its not nothing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/rachel_sg/status/1239815425371897856

I save every Tory MP's life every day by the same method.
https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1239941732265009152

Mebh
May 10, 2010

So um, this is something many people aren't really talking about but... Social distancing. Lots of companies are getting on board right now. Lots of us are getting to WFH even though we're not sick yet.

The question is... how long does this actually go on for? From reading the thread it looks like no amount of it will stop it exceeding capacity. So are we going to be working from our laptops til April 2021? What's the best/worst case?

Like. I prepped like a madman. I've got a veg garden started. I've got 2-3 weeks of food and a series of online deliveries booked and planned every 8 days with supplies. We have insulin and medication for a couple of months. We can basically airlock ourselves in our house for 2 months before things start to be really tricky.

Question is if this is going on for a YEAR. What's the point? Sure isolating if we're sick. I get that. But if we're not and just trying to lessen the load on the NHS by delaying us getting sick as long as possible do we run out in a month, get food and re-isolate, rolling the dice every time forever?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has anyone bought any toilet paper off the internet yet?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
The great sloughing off of workers has begun. We're in early 2008, rapidly moving towards 1929.

Marriott is firing people, Gatwick is firing people, City pub group is firing people, airlines are firing people, and my company just officially fired most of its contractors (including three guys I work with directly).

Stay safe goons.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Anyone know what time the daily briefing is at?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

So um, this is something many people aren't really talking about but... Social distancing. Lots of companies are getting on board right now. Lots of us are getting to WFH even though we're not sick yet.

The question is... how long does this actually go on for? From reading the thread it looks like no amount of it will stop it exceeding capacity. So are we going to be working from our laptops til April 2021? What's the best/worst case?

Like. I prepped like a madman. I've got a veg garden started. I've got 2-3 weeks of food and a series of online deliveries booked and planned every 8 days with supplies. We have insulin and medication for a couple of months. We can basically airlock ourselves in our house for 2 months before things start to be really tricky.

Question is if this is going on for a YEAR. What's the point? Sure isolating if we're sick. I get that. But if we're not and just trying to lessen the load on the NHS by delaying us getting sick as long as possible do we run out in a month, get food and re-isolate, rolling the dice every time forever?

Also what if you've self-isolated and it was a cold and you come out of isolation and then catch it? Or, another cold?
I've started to feel a bit breathless this afternoon - but I have had a cold which I usually do this time of year. Who the heck knows!
I did go shopping earlier and get some more bits in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

Has anyone bought any toilet paper off the internet yet?
Yes but I had to print it out.

Why is #Corvid19uk trending, is something happening with the crows? :ohdear:

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
So seminars finally cancelled, and moving to online teaching next week. God knows what the hell is going to happen if this continues for another six months or longer - does the entire economy shift online then? Bloody hell.

If only there was a political party who proposed massively investing in our online infrastructure...

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Mebh posted:

Looking at China it took about two months to get the number of cases back down to double digit per day. At that point things should be fairly OK again I guess?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

elbkaida posted:

Looking at China it took about two months to get the number of cases back down to double digit per day. At that point things should be fairly OK again I guess?

Yeah eventually things will at least be better in hospitals than they are currently. But it will take a longass time.

If it took that much time for China it wouldn't surprise me if we never manage it. Since we basically have a fake government.

Every necessary measure will be fought against kicking and screaming by the govt and every time the priority will be media management and how to pitch the u turn for like a week before doing anything.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Moonwolf posted:

huh i just realised i've not seen a plane today

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

elbkaida posted:

Errrr in the interest of my new giving real information no matter how badly it sucks thing: The answer to if it will die out, or lie dormant for 2 months and then have a second wave is “we have no bloody clue yet keep watching China over the next 6 months”

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Why is #Corvid19uk trending, is something happening with the crows? :ohdear:

in 10 years idiots will be talking about the berenstein bears theory and how in their reality the covid virus was called the corvid virus

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Right then... guess I'm expanding the veg patch size then.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
As far as I can tell, according to this:

https://youtu.be/e3gCbkeARbY

China locked down while they put in procedures and facilities then went back to a minimalist normal with a lot of testing everywhere. So we will probably eventually do that, probably the day after they set up a government of national unity and Jeremy takes over while Boris goes back to his fridge.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So this is the time to actually be very, very worried that I'm down to three loo rolls and two bottles of handwash right?

I can't see the shops getting any better any time soon. Surely production will only slow and shortages will be more of a thing as more people are locked down?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/AbiWilks/status/1239712726777282560

This article sure aged well.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Anyone said 'Rishi Washy' yet? He's taking further action.

330bn in loans to business, and 'as much capacity as required' going forward.

Odds on him actually giving individuals anything?

RockyB fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 17, 2020

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

In the year of the Consuls Barack and George...

In work news, every team in my building can now work from home!

Except mine, obviously.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

“Breaking: government to change plans after discovering 250k old people dying will lose them the next election”

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Dunno if this has been posted but lol

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1239939066071846912?s=19

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've got enough terrible books/ work is close enough for me to go in and grab loo roll. It's so so weird, every place is busy yet outside seems weirdly quiet.

Going to get up early tomorrow morning and head right to the biggest supermarket possible and grab some loo paper as we are sort of running out here. Bought some solid soap which doesn't seem likely to sell out any time soon, so there is that.

Apparently the British Museum, Natural history Museum and V&A are closing their doors from tomorrow.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

stev posted:

I can't see the shops getting any better any time soon. Surely production will only slow and shortages will be more of a thing as more people are locked down?

Presumably hoarders will eventually run out of cupboard space. That's certainly what limited my Brexit stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I would assume that after the initial rush those with stockpiles will be staying the gently caress home, allowing a gentle recovery