Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Harrow posted:

Is there a place with the 2nd and 3rd class designs?

The website. It has a character section where you can select the characters' classes and it'll show you a brief description and render of that class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is there a "bad" party composition?

I haven't played this game in a good 15 years so I've long since forgotten the synergies. If I was gonna go with a core of Duran and Angela, who would be a good third? I'm thinking Riesz or Hawkeye.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Super excited to get stomped by the black rabite but I kinda hope they rearranged things so I can pick my girl Riesz and still get there :pray:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is there a "bad" party composition?

I haven't played this game in a good 15 years so I've long since forgotten the synergies. If I was gonna go with a core of Duran and Angela, who would be a good third? I'm thinking Riesz or Hawkeye.

You'd have to really try to get a bad party but even the worst of them can cover their weaknesses with items.

Light Reisz slots into nearly any party because of her buffing capability.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SettingSun posted:

You'd have to really try to get a bad party but even the worst of them can cover their weaknesses with items.

Light Reisz slots into nearly any party because of her buffing capability.
Nice! That's the one that's not naked too so that'll lessen the amount of Looks I get from the SO while playing. I'll have to do some research on the other two but it's a good start. Thanks for the tip!

Also we've seen Light and Dark Class 4s, does that mean there won't be a mixed option? Or rather I guess that just means they'll be the same whether you come from Light/Dark, Dark/Light, or DD/LL. It would be kinda crazy to make options for every possible path.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I never really played all the way through SD3 despite emulating it years ago. How do the storylines work for the three characters you pick? I noticed they're grouped with antagonists--is it a good idea to pick one character from each grouping, or is it a better idea to pick a pair of characters and do their stories together?

Erpy posted:

The website. It has a character section where you can select the characters' classes and it'll show you a brief description and render of that class.

Oh drat I should've checked the official site lol

Thanks!

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 17, 2020

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

So I never really played all the way through SD3 despite emulating it years ago. How do the storylines work for the three characters you pick? I noticed they're grouped with antagonists--is it a good idea to pick one character from each grouping, or does that not really affect the story at all? I was already planning on doing Hawkeye, Kevin, and Angela for the first run I think.

Oh drat I should've checked the official site lol

Thanks!

Basically there's three separate storylines; three kingdoms attacking three other kingdoms.

Angela's kingdom attacks Duran's
Hawkeye's kingdom attacks Reisz's
Kevin's kingdom attacks Charlotte's

You can pick a character whose kingdom is the aggressor or the character whose kingdom is being attacked. Opinions will probably vary on this, but I think it makes sense to choose both of the characters involved in a particular storyline to get both perspectives. I don't think you get to see very much of the storyline of your two followers, so picking one character from each story won't really give you great coverage of what's going on with their antagonists or kingdoms or whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

timp posted:

You can pick a character whose kingdom is the aggressor or the character whose kingdom is being attacked. Opinions will probably vary on this, but I think it makes sense to choose both of the characters involved in a particular storyline to get both perspectives. I don't think you get to see very much of the storyline of your two followers, so picking one character from each story won't really give you great coverage of what's going on with their antagonists or kingdoms or whatever.

Ah okay, that sounds good. I just went back and edited because I realized it might make sense to pick a pair, too, so I'll go that way instead. Maybe Hawkeye, Riesz, and whatever third character seems like a fun complement to them in the party.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Alxprit posted:

Hopefully I can have multiple save files in the demo so I can see all of the various intro cutscenes for everyone and perhaps I'll make my decision on what my first full playthrough party will be then.

About that, I watched a video of someone playing the demo early; I think it's possible to choose whether you want to play through the character's intro or not when you meet them.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Nice! That's the one that's not naked too so that'll lessen the amount of Looks I get from the SO while playing. I'll have to do some research on the other two but it's a good start. Thanks for the tip!

Also we've seen Light and Dark Class 4s, does that mean there won't be a mixed option? Or rather I guess that just means they'll be the same whether you come from Light/Dark, Dark/Light, or DD/LL. It would be kinda crazy to make options for every possible path.

I wonder if the T4 classes could potentially let you get every skill/spell from the preceding classes of that path.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One more team comp question: at least in the original version, does it matter much if you have a healer? I think I'm between Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin and Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela for my first run and the Angela option would leave me with nobody who has healing spells (assuming the spell lists are similar to the original game).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It never really mattered whether or not you have a healer because you can buy items that replicate the healing spells, in addition to the standard healing items. It helps to have someone with high spirit though since that determines how much those items actually heal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Harrow posted:

One more team comp question: at least in the original version, does it matter much if you have a healer? I think I'm between Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin and Hawkeye/Riesz/Angela for my first run and the Angela option would leave me with nobody who has healing spells (assuming the spell lists are similar to the original game).

I abandoned my first playthrough with the only party composition that can never have a healer (Lise/Hawke/Angela), because I was not good at games back then. When I revisited the game, I could easily beat it without a healer, but it's more busywork to stock up on items, shuffle them between your active inventory and your nearly unlimited stash, and backtracking to Byzel for the better healing items. It's much less hassle to have your healer top off your party after a fight, and then top off your healer's mana. I'd recommend taking a healer for your first playthrough.

Edit: wtf, Fenrir Knight. Lise doesn't deserve this!

Edit2: Is there any outfit for Angela that's not stripperific?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mechanical questions:

The only "bad" party comp is one where multiple characters do the same thing, like if you had both Hawkeye and Riesz going debuff-focused. But yeah, basically anything can be compensated for with items.
Including healing! You don't need a healer if you have a stack of 99 Poto Oil from the black market. If you do have Charlotte as your dedicated healer, you'll basically never ever die ever, and other people who dabble in healing are okay but never quite as good as her at it since she gets instant-cast Heal Light at third tier.
Having the two characters with stories be with each other can usually lead to extra cutscenes and dialogue between them or between the aggressors they have in common (like Gormand, Crimson Wizard, etc). Like, Riesz and Hawkeye have a lot in common to talk about, but Kevin and Charlotte don't really talk much to each other relatively. It doesn't mean it's a bad idea to pair them anyway. Angela has probably the least in common with anyone, so if you're interested in her story she should be your leader character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hawkeye/Duran/Angela forever as Nightblade/Swordmaster/uh, Angela's Dark/Dark I think? The one that learns the lvl. 3 elemental magics? Tremendous damage potential in that party

At any rate, apparently the new classes are locked to what your initial class change was (ie Ranger can only become a Spriggan, Ninja can only become an Avenger) but since you can reclass it shouldn't be too much of a problem

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The good news about costumes in this remake is: you get to pick and choose from all unlocked class outfits. So if you don't like a certain class' look, you can pick a different one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Confession: I've only actually finished the game once, but I had a party of Riesz (Star Lancer), Hawk (Nightblade), and Charlotte (Necromancer). Just the first two are probably enough to steamroll the competition and Charlotte made me immortal. This time I want to try Kevin/Hawkeye/Riesz and make it even more unfair. Different classes though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm thinking Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin is what I'm going to do for my first run. Assuming classes fill basically the same roles as the original game, I'm thinking Nightblade for Hawkeye, Star Lancer for Riesz, and Warrior Monk for Kevin.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was trying to think what the highest DPS team would be, which includes black market items. Obviously you have Hawkeye (likely as a Nightblade) and Kevin (God Hand) and maybe Duran as a Paladin? Thought is, use items for attack up / non-light dark sabers, Hawk starts with deadly weapon then uses jutsus for stat downs, Duran for Saint Saber for all the dark enemies, then poto oils for healing.

Angela’s damage output just isn’t that great when her spells take awhile to cast and 2 hits from a gold wolf Kevin with attack up is gonna equate that damage.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For the remake I'll probably go with Duran/Angela/Kevin. I don't use Kevin that often when he's not my main character and I like Duran/Angela's story the most. Duran's whole motivation of getting stronger to beat a wizard who whooped him once is nice and refreshingly straightforward.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Torrannor posted:

I abandoned my first playthrough with the only party composition that can never have a healer (Lise/Hawke/Angela), because I was not good at games back then. When I revisited the game, I could easily beat it without a healer, but it's more busywork to stock up on items, shuffle them between your active inventory and your nearly unlimited stash, and backtracking to Byzel for the better healing items. It's much less hassle to have your healer top off your party after a fight, and then top off your healer's mana. I'd recommend taking a healer for your first playthrough.

Edit: wtf, Fenrir Knight. Lise doesn't deserve this!

Not really. The class costumes this time are based on the actual official artwork for the game instead of you needing to imagine it based on the recolors with the profile pic.

But you can change costumes into whatever class you've unlocked so it's no big deal.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Ahhhhhh this game looks so good, but I can't decide whether to get it on PC, PS4, or Switch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Think I will go Angela/Charlotte/ then I am debating between Kevin and Duran.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thanks for all the info! I think looking over everything I'm gonna do three runs, eventually, to cover all the characters. So it'll probably be

Angela/Duran/Riesz
Riesz/Hawkeye/Kevin
Kevin/Charlotte/Whoever my favorite is at this point

I can't believe how hyped I am for this remake. Definitely getting this for Switch so I can never put it down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

From what I can remember in the original, only Angela and Duran could fight the super boss right? Any idea if that is changing in the remake(or if I am mistaken in the first place)?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You're not mistaken, but I am not aware if they have done anything to change that. It could be that the superboss is potentially relocated to the fourth act and made stronger to compensate, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Considering all the other massive changes in this remake, I'd be shocked if they did nothing about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah I can't imagine them locking a superboss to two characters now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At this point it seems premature to assume that literally anything works the way it did before.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

This is why I'm glad they bothered to officially localize and release the original on the Collection so anyone can have it the way they want.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I was initially really annoyed with Angela and Riese design in that twitter, but the twitter is being really misleading: each characters has one stripperific design (dark) and one normal one (light), barring Charlotted/Hawk, who have two decent outfits. they somehow show the light outfits for most characters except Angela/Riese.

Lights:

Dark:

I'd say Duran/Kevin dark outfits are still less stripperifics than Angela/Riese ones, but at least it's... somewhat similar?

Also, not sure what to think of there being only 'one' light/dark class for T4. Does this mean T3 choices don't matter?

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 17, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Light/dark for T4 is actually whether the lights were on when the character got dressed.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I dunno why they insist on giving Riesz low cut bikini's. Low cut Bikini's suck.
Riesz is a leotard girl, she looks drat good in em.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SettingSun posted:

For the remake I'll probably go with Duran/Angela/Kevin. I don't use Kevin that often when he's not my main character and I like Duran/Angela's story the most. Duran's whole motivation of getting stronger to beat a wizard who whooped him once is nice and refreshingly straightforward.

Kevin's story is basically JRPG John Wick. Right down to him struggling to say his lines.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Man, this game would be a day 1 purchase for me with 2p (and a preorder for 3p).

Despitr being American, I actually had a Super Famicom instead of a SNES and a SD3 cartridge, played it a lot with my brothers growing up. Multiplayer was the saving grace of SoM and it was, with all it's flaws, great here as well.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I'm disappointed that the remake won't have multiplayer, especially since they have hopefully changed the really long spell animations that pause the game and are the one annoying thing about multiplayer if your partner is playing Angela.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Id like to re-iterate that the Cast of SD3 are hairy as gently caress.
They got lots of hair.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Yeah I'm thinking Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin is what I'm going to do for my first run. Assuming classes fill basically the same roles as the original game, I'm thinking Nightblade for Hawkeye, Star Lancer for Riesz, and Warrior Monk for Kevin.

I played the original multiple times through over the years with a whole bunch of team comps, including exactly this one, and I have to say, it felt the most min-maxed (at least for boss fights) of any team, although it's a drag until Kevin got healing. Hakweye/Riesz as your main character leads to the hardest final boss (but not the optional superboss for Duran/Angela's story) and that team absolutely chumps him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Item Getter posted:

I'm disappointed that the remake won't have multiplayer, especially since they have hopefully changed the really long spell animations that pause the game and are the one annoying thing about multiplayer if your partner is playing Angela.

It's a genuine shame, especially since the reworked mechanics make it vastly more favorable for a multiplayer environment. Still, I can't blame them: it's likely only something a niche part of the audience would play, and it adds in a bunch of development complications and additional testing on a product that's already seeing very significant changes from the original.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's up.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1240132361548955648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

I'm looking at the shop listing and it says "Recieve the Rabite Adornment DLC to gain more EXP after battles up-to level 10! Available until 21st May 2020." Very weird, there doesn't seem to be a current option to grab it or if it has any cost to it.

Anyway, excited to try out the game tomorrow! Will have to be after work since there's much to do this morning.