Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

veni veni veni posted:

This game probably has the most impressive lighting I have ever seen in a game. Sometimes some random poo poo will happen like an immolator blowing off in the middle of a nearby forest and it looks/sounds so real it kind of fucks with me.

I wish I had video from back when it was first released. They've made the game look much, much worse than it used to. It does still look pretty good but the nights used to be darker and stuff like fusees had amazingly detailed lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I believe this is from one of the initial patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujFV6pni4vY

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm playing on PS4 and the port is a bit rough. It has really bad texture loading issues and pop in and looks flat out ugly at times. But when everything is running smoothly and it isn't having issues it's gorgeous. Stuff like the lighting doesn't seem to have taken a hit at all though. Really wish I had a decent gaming PC to play this on. The game doesn't get enough credit for the attention to detail that is put into just about every aspect of it. Except the terrible console controls lol.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
i forgot how stunningly gorgeous this game used to be. i remember thinking the game was looking worse with each patch but jesus the confirmation.
how did they gently caress everything up this hard? while tanking performance into the ground no less. (relatively)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

i forgot how stunningly gorgeous this game used to be. i remember thinking the game was looking worse with each patch but jesus the confirmation.
how did they gently caress everything up this hard? while tanking performance into the ground no less. (relatively)

Because performance used to be much, much, much worse for almost everyone. Now it varies by patch and occasionally it fucks up real bad but Crytek for whatever still has a boner for creating essentially unrunnable games so they finally started to tone it down when they realized having a MP FPS with bad framerates was not great when their future as a company was riding on it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Performance used to be better actually. when I started playing i was on a gtx760 getting a solid 60 frames np. I didn't know anyone else that played that had any performance issues whatsoever back then. Then they started "improving" it (especially the infamous christmas patch) and i had to upgrade to a 1080 to get 50fps, with huge spikes still. now i've upgraded to a 2080 super and still regularly see swings of 50+ frames off baseline.

for reference. i took a comparative screenshot with that old build vs now at fully maxed settings on a 2080 super. (apologies for day/night disparity. not like i can just hop into a night map)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game was barely playable for me in the early days and it is now by and large playable with a steady framerate though whether that is the vagaries of PC gaming or something else I dunno.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I can't remember if the game looked better when I first started playing a year and a half ago (I'll have to go look at old videos) but it sure as hell runs better now

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
It does mostly run better now. It didn't for at least six months while they were loving with stuff. It's certainly in a better state for most people now.

When they dropped the 'performance' patch I was using a GTX1070 and my stable 70+ FPS at high/med settings went to gently caress all FPS and also looked worse. I had to run on low everything for a long while, and I would still get the compound loading stutter even with my NVME samsung pro ssd. On the other hand, a friend of mine with a 970 and slower cpu was able to make the game playable on low which they hadn't been able to before.

It's slowly gotten better, and I also have a 1080 now which helps. I get 90+ FPS on different med/high settings but it still looks worse than it originally did. Looks way better than when the perf patch dropped though. If you are having perf issues it helps to drop into a match and individually toggle various graphics settings. Some have a much bigger impact than you'd think, and they change from patch to patch.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Over the past week or so my crew has encountered a huge spike in people using Crossbows (of all flavors) including occasionally several trios where all 3 had crossbows. I can't figure out what the deal is because crossbows still generally suck except for specific circumstances (i.e. Shotbolt + bolt thrower at close range) I can't tell if this is some weird new meta or people just being meme-y.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://streamable.com/p0j48

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Man, I really wanted to like this game more — it’s got an awesome premise and loads of atmosphere — but it’s just kinda janky in a couple dozen little ways that impact the overall product. Plus, it had the poor fortune to debut shortly before the free Call of Duty battle royale game.

In short, I’m sad. Hunt deserves better.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ecavalli posted:

Man, I really wanted to like this game more — it’s got an awesome premise and loads of atmosphere — but it’s just kinda janky in a couple dozen little ways that impact the overall product. Plus, it had the poor fortune to debut shortly before the free Call of Duty battle royale game.

In short, I’m sad. Hunt deserves better.

I assume youre on console?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Basticle posted:

I assume youre on console?

I am. Is it better on PC?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

ecavalli posted:

I am. Is it better on PC?

Much.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Uh, it's still pretty janky on PC but at the same time playing Hunt on a controller sounds like a nightmare.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The controls aren’t great on console but if you are used to janky rear end euro game console ports they are serviceable. It’s really more that the shooting is hard in PVP than it is the controls being bad. It’s just not easy to hit single shot rifles with almost no auto aim.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
Crouching can often be a bad idea. Not sure what this last team was thinking.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

gently caress long rifle uppercut quick switch bullshit meta wreck yourself https://streamable.com/yux5t

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone got a trip report on the PS4 update? I've been wrapped up in Warzone but eventually want to get back to this.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Test server is live with potential 1.3 changes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/770720/announcements/detail/2091299994116636782

Seems like mostly good changes, particularly in trying to make the Winfield competitive again.

An armored wrapped up in concertina though? Uggh. Edit: 4 throwing knives also does the trick?

Varkas fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 26, 2020

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

finally

Varkas posted:

Test server is live with potential 1.3 changes: https://steamcommunity.com/games/770720/announcements/detail/2091299994116636782

Seems like mostly good changes, particularly in trying to make the Winfield competitive again.

An armored wrapped up in concertina though? Uggh. Edit: 4 throwing knives also does the trick?

nice

Basticle fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 26, 2020

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Also, I might as well put this out here: of the various $10ish "aim trainer" games out there, there's one called Kovaak that has a lot of customization options with map making, projectile speeds, and bot behavior. I've been dabbling with it and was able to make the following scenario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHHDUZ7UyNY. This can be useful to get a sense of leading for various weapons at 50 - 100 meters.

It's hard to get consistent leading practice in Hunt, so I figured this might be useful to some folks. I don't know what the devs had planned for the firing range, but the mode is now scrapped with the arrival of the training mode.

If yer interested in the scenario or have ideas, let me know and I'll update when I end up making the scenario available on the workshop.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Main menu music for today is straight up Goblin and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3wCqpJ3wXc

Basticle fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 1, 2020

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

PC version is also on sale right now @ 40% off, until April 13th.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

There's probably some correlation to the fact that 80% of the blatant cheaters i encounter these days are using avtos.
Oh yeah, I totally believe it was pure skill that let you headshot 3 different people within 5 sec at 100m on opposite sides of you with an avto. Suuuure.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rysithusiku posted:

There's probably some correlation to the fact that 80% of the blatant cheaters i encounter these days are using avtos.
Oh yeah, I totally believe it was pure skill that let you headshot 3 different people within 5 sec at 100m on opposite sides of you with an avto. Suuuure.

Thankfully I havent encountered anything quite that blatant in a while. Usually when something really sketchy happens its me and my entire team getting 1-shot in the head through walls.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

Thankfully I havent encountered anything quite that blatant in a while. Usually when something really sketchy happens its me and my entire team getting 1-shot in the head through walls.

Yeah I've only encountered 1 super blatant cheater in all the games I've played. I could understand head shots on walls next to windows/doors/cracks that were recently peeked, but cheater was getting head shots on teammates who ran well into the middle of buildings, despite the cheater being 30+ meters away from the building wall.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2020

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I probably encounter 1 blatant cheat per, oh I don't know, hundred-ish games?
But man when it's blatant it just kills all my enjoyment. I usually quit playing for the day at that point.

However I do think there are for more people using lesser cheats, like one I saw that just outlines where everyone is within 200m of you. Because a surprising number of people these days seem to have the magical ability to 180 and start firing at you from 140m through two bushes, even if they can't hit poo poo. I'm definitely not the only one experiencing this either, as several other friends have called out 'extremely odd' but not outright blatant situations

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

1.3 is now live

https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2189254554299483859

Lots of good updates, but not real thrilled that yet again, in order to fix one thing (large ammo being too OP, winfield being useless) they're completely changing the meta (everyone will only use winfields).

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I fell off this game but balancing is extremely tricky, so the devs have my sympathy in that regard.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

from the avtomat changes

quote:

When firing a 3-shot burst and force-swapping weapons to cancel firing, the remaining bullets from that burst are lost to avoid players trying to snipe with the weapon.

THAT WAS A THING??? JFC

Basticle fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 14, 2020

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

I fell off this game but balancing is extremely tricky, so the devs have my sympathy in that regard.

Balancing is less tricky when you don't try to do it with a sledgehammer, like they do.
Turns out there's this thing called "incremental changes" or "a light touch".

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Basticle posted:

1.3 is now live

https://steamcommunity.com/games/594650/announcements/detail/2189254554299483859

Lots of good updates, but not real thrilled that yet again, in order to fix one thing (large ammo being too OP, winfield being useless) they're completely changing the meta (everyone will only use winfields).

People will still use mosins and mosins will still dominate but they won't completely obliterate the competition. This meta change is good. To even make the winfield viable you have to take two expensive perks anyhow.

Rysithusiku posted:

Balancing is less tricky when you don't try to do it with a sledgehammer, like they do.
Turns out there's this thing called "incremental changes" or "a light touch".

Did you read the patch notes? With the exception of a TINY amount of weapons, most guns recieved changes to the order of "their headshot range is now 20 meters further" or "they deal 10 more points of damage"

This is hardly a sledgehammer. It is comprehensive and relatively minor in that it is pushing most weapons towards the center.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Did you read the patch notes? Almost every Compact ammo gun is a 2shot kill now, as well as having significant range increases that absolutely matter. Adding winny fanning at the same time will only exacerbate this.
With a winny and a chain pistol you can now fan out over 30 rounds, only 2 of which need to hit to kill. With a little control you could easily down entire teams without ever having to reload.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'll stick to the other rifles, ever since this game came out, regardless of what they've changed, I cannot for the life of me get winfield hits past like 20m, I just cannot get the hang of the slower bullet velocity.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

I haven't played in awhile and haven't tried the new changes but I don't see the problem. This patch may get me playing again as I got really tired of the Mosin being the only gun that was any good.

IMO the best meta was the old Winfield meta right after general early access release: New players had cheap well-rounded guns (Winfield) that could actually be better in some cases than the more expensive large ammo guns. Back then all ammo sizes had no range falloff for headshots, so I don't see this patch making Winnies any more OP than that good meta. I felt like the other 'better' more expensive guns were more sidegrades for specific situations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I always thought the skill level indicator (<- -> for equal, up/2up arrows for better, down/2down arrows for worse) on the death screen was based primarily on K/D ratio. But you can now see all of those stats on the death screen details.

It must factor in a combination of all of these because my K/D is 1.17 and this guy's is a ridiculous 2.84 but is somehow considered "equal" to me :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Rysithusiku posted:

Did you read the patch notes? Almost every Compact ammo gun is a 2shot kill now, as well as having significant range increases that absolutely matter. Adding winny fanning at the same time will only exacerbate this.
With a winny and a chain pistol you can now fan out over 30 rounds, only 2 of which need to hit to kill. With a little control you could easily down entire teams without ever having to reload.

Hell yeah it own