Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Post Nord is undermining my strong worker solidarity. I sympathize with the poor shmucks that deliver the mail but god drat some of these fuckups.

We changed office from NameStreet 3 to NameStreet 7. Everything was updated and the mail was correctly labelled NameStreet 7. But Post Nord still delivers our mail to NameStreet 3. For months. Like the letters say "NameStreet 7" and the building has a massive sign NameStreet 3 and then NameStreet 7 right next to it. And they still deliver it to 3.

Now because our mailbox was no longer there they will instead hand our mail over to random people who then call us like "Uh we got your mail for some reason"

This all peaked today. We placed an order at a company. It was sent in two packages labelled NameStreet 7. One package was delivered to NameStreet 7 and the other was handed over to a random person at NameStreet 3 in exchange for a signature.

We called Post Nord up and they're like "the package has been delivered and signed for by L Svenson. I responded that we don't have an L Svenson and that we were here all day waiting for the package. They then responded again that the package had been delivered and signed for by Mr L Svenson. I repeated that we have no L Svenson and we still need our package. They told us to take it up with L Svenson.

I called the company who sent the package and they tell us that the package has been delivered and signed for and so has been successfully delivered and so they insist on being paid for it.

Has mailing things always been this bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.postnord.com

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

How are they not out of business?

I once tried to ship a package and Post Nord charged twice as much as Posten.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Katt posted:

How are they not out of business?

I once tried to ship a package and Post Nord charged twice as much as Posten.

free enterprise!!!!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Denmark just banned meeting in groups of ten or more. This might be sensible, but also really fun and not at all going against the Constitution. Last time we did this was in 1945, for different reasons.

Also restaurants, tattoo parlors and so on are ordered to close down. Luckily, take away is still allowed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you think Italy/France/Norway/Denmark are shutting down because they're panicking?
French hearts are créme brûlée, Swedish hearts steel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fader Movitz posted:

The part that makes me really loving angry is not when or how we close schools but that politicians act shocked and concerned when they hear we're not prepared for this. These fuckers have been cutting down on everything the last 30 years. Cutting funding and NPM and just in time for hospitals, completely gutted the military and civil defence. End of history liberalism seems to have given most politicians brain damage.
What else are they gonna do, fess up?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Katt posted:

Has mailing things always been this bad?

Certainly in Norway where I work. We had UPS leaving stuff without waiting for a signature. It'd result in partial or wrong deliveries, and it was a problem when we called for help because the deliveries were signed (presumably by the delivery person). Postnord managed to lose several of the 30KG packages we were sending out, and it was a hassle getting them to reimburse each time. One Postnord package went back and forth between south and north Norway a couple of times before they gave up and returned it to us, no explanation provided.

And Posten absolutely wrecks anything bigger than a brick of chocolate. Apparently, according to someone who worked in Posten, they dump everything from their cargo trolley like it was trash into a garbage truck.

Or maybe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrpmZFixp0

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Donnerberg posted:

Certainly in Norway where I work. We had UPS leaving stuff without waiting for a signature. It'd result in partial or wrong deliveries, and it was a problem when we called for help because the deliveries were signed (presumably by the delivery person). Postnord managed to lose several of the 30KG packages we were sending out, and it was a hassle getting them to reimburse each time. One Postnord package went back and forth between south and north Norway a couple of times before they gave up and returned it to us, no explanation provided.

And Posten absolutely wrecks anything bigger than a brick of chocolate. Apparently, according to someone who worked in Posten, they dump everything from their cargo trolley like it was trash into a garbage truck.

Or maybe this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YrpmZFixp0

I got this package once.

Content was severely broken. Pretty sure that was literally kicked out of spite.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
UPS is just as awful here in Sweden in their own way. Used to be that they'd turn up at my apartment building, at lunch time on a work day, and just say "whaaaaaaaaaaat, this guy isn't home!?". Then I'd have the option to either have them send it out at another day, during daytime, without an estimated meetup time, or go all the way to their terminal way off and pick it up between 17:00 and 17:30. Exactly. Now I can argue with them over the phone back and forth for a while and they'll MAYBE send it to my wife's office address.

It used to be even worse when they'd simply just keep that poo poo at the local airport (40 minutes and 200 SEK away with the airport bus if you don't have a car) and no other options than fetching it yourself or give up on receiving the package.

Every time some unknowing sucker abroad sends me a package through UPS I'm going to have a poo poo week. I just know it.

You'd think logistics companies would be better at, well, logistics?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 17, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As a former postal worker in Denmark, I can confirm that package football is a real thing. Rare, but real. The thing that kept me and done of my coworkers from signing the slip, dumping stuff or stealing the mail was a sense of pride in our work, coupled with a slight fear that someone would notice a pattern in complaints. Since postal workers are getting poo poo on as part of neoliberalism, they don't have any pride left, and since complaints are not common, there is less of a person-specific pattern. The job is to get rid of whatever mail and gently caress everything else at this point.

In Denmark, there is a ton of tjenestemænd employed, the people who get three years pay when fired for anything short of being convicted of a workplace crime. These people know that the postal service is a dying business in it's current form, but they're old and don't give a gently caress.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Your package will arrive on Friday between 9:00 and 14:00.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mercrom posted:

As a young person with no living elderly/sick relatives and no political or financial capital I keep switching between feelings of outrage, bewilderment and utter nihilism at how the people in power are handling this. It's suicidal.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Once had a patch leave Germany, make it to Malmö, then sent back to Germany with the message “unable to deliver” or some sort. Took four weeks to notify me of this as well.

I live in Eskilstuna so no poo poo, you barely made it out of the border.

I work for a periodical and PostNord obliterating magazines or somehow having other region’s editions in some sort of holding pattern around Stockholm is the norm. SEA will deliver into the office, ANZ and NA inevitably gets sent to Åhléns City to pick up and god HELP ME if it isn’t exactly in my name but the company name which is another loving hike to another ombud. Did I mention that these are often 10+ magazines in a box that should have been delivered to the office and inevitably be somewhere in Norrmalm? That poo poo is HEAVY.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Always fun to see magazines delivered by Helthjem laying on top of random mailbox racks.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

We'll only know that in retrospect. Stop panicking.

Yeah that's the problem. We'll only know in retrospect and people who can't think in terms of probability and risk will have learned nothing at all. There is not going to be a reward for the people who were right, and no restitution paid by the people who were wrong. Trust in public institutions will plummet.

The only thing about this that makes me "panic" is the realization that our reaction to global warming isn't just some fluke due to the timescale involved. It might be what our reaction to any possible existential risk will be.

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
I work for PostNord in sthlm. The company is a loving mess. Everything we hear from above is about savings and cost-cutting, reducing the number of employees and how there's not enough money in the budget for anything relating to personnel. Most drivers at my office take care of packages and broken poo poo is rarer than you think. However, the people at the big sorting terminals do not give two fucks about any parcel and will frequently stack 30kg of cat sand on top of glassware.

That said, some drivers don't give a poo poo either and get zero repercussions from the people in charge. On top of this is the fact that our loading areas has almost a meters drop between the bay and the car, meaning that either we gently caress up our knees, gently caress up the packages or take too long sorting our cars. Also the pays loving poo poo which does not help in bulding brand loyalty.

Lastly I will say that some senders really skimp out on durable packaging. I've seen huge boxes with loose things rattling around inside and cardboard that gives way at the slightest touch.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Got into work from a minor cold and a WFH, sneezed, immediately got sent home for two more days WFH.

come join me in barren rear end Stockholm C for the next ten minutes before another hour long train back to Tuna Town.

E: just saw someone in furs and a full goddamn beat on wearing gloves and a mask on order a shot in Starbucks. Girl if you put that face on like that you’ve already got a ton of loving germs, makeup brushes are a gross haven for all sorts.

SafetyTrain posted:

I work for PostNord in sthlm. The company is a loving mess. Everything we hear from above is about savings and cost-cutting, reducing the number of employees and how there's not enough money in the budget for anything relating to personnel. Most drivers at my office take care of packages and broken poo poo is rarer than you think. However, the people at the big sorting terminals do not give two fucks about any parcel and will frequently stack 30kg of cat sand on top of glassware.

That said, some drivers don't give a poo poo either and get zero repercussions from the people in charge. On top of this is the fact that our loading areas has almost a meters drop between the bay and the car, meaning that either we gently caress up our knees, gently caress up the packages or take too long sorting our cars. Also the pays loving poo poo which does not help in bulding brand loyalty.

Lastly I will say that some senders really skimp out on durable packaging. I've seen huge boxes with loose things rattling around inside and cardboard that gives way at the slightest touch.

This is illuminating and depressing as all get out. Are the higher ups like blissfully unaware of PostNord’s infamy among everyone and worker morale?

Like this paints a real clear picture of rot from the top and this isn’t some private retailer it’s the loving postal service, a basic civic function.

Also good thing to know about packaging, seems kind of obvious in hindsight

teen witch fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 18, 2020

fnox
May 19, 2013

Why is the Swedish government being so much more relaxed about the virus compared to everywhere else in Scandinavia?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well we could all work from home at work so we're all working from home indefinitely now

This is actually really nice. I now have infinite time to shitpost on SA

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

fnox posted:

Why is the Swedish government being so much more relaxed about the virus compared to everywhere else in Scandinavia?

They're not.

They're just not hitting every single panic button in order to seem like they're doing anything.

Or, well, they are. Just slower.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m not sure offices will reopen at the end of next week :smith:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
RIP the entire restaurant business

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
👆 I learned how to make pizza dough in this crisis. Rip decent pizza place on Lidingö

Doesn’t the Swedish military have capabilities to help with hospitals/beds?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dirk Pitt posted:

👆 I learned how to make pizza dough in this crisis. Rip decent pizza place on Lidingö

Doesn’t the Swedish military have capabilities to help with hospitals/beds?

Not really, not anymore. We sold or donated a number of fully equipped field hospitals in the general get-rid-of-everything period in the early 2000's. We're talking the destruction of a capacity for 125,000 intensive care cases and 85,000 bed rest cases that could be activated within 5 days. It was starting to get sort of dated by the early 2000's (most of the equipment procured around 1980) but it was real dumb to just throw it away.

https://www.forsvarsmakten.se/sv/information-och-fakta/var-historia/artiklar/en-krigssjukvard-i-varldsklass/

Swedish Cold War mobilization plans are fascinating, they thought of everything. The organization and the equipment has all been gone for 20 years but the legal framework remains to a large degree. There's a reason they called it "totalförsvaret". Even today we are one cabinet decision away from transitioning essentially all of society to a supporting structure for the military, with some rather totalitarian restrictions of the usual personal freedom (private property, freedom of movement, etc etc). The government cannot force you into the military if you haven't been conscripted already, but almost anything short of that goes. No need to get the riksdag's take on it for a month either, the only requirement is that the country is at war, at risk of war, or that there are "extraordinary circumstances caused by a war outside of the country's borders". Someone really didn't want a repeat of April 1940.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 18, 2020

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Working from home and spring cleaned my room. Hooray what feels like legit productivity for once.

Over/under there will be a work from home wave post-virus?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

They're not.
Or, well, they are. Just slower.
Every account I've heard from my govvie friends is that everyone loosely related to covid is running around but there's no real leadership. The state epidemiologist was a big fan of the UK response we're seeing now just how well that's working out so in another week or 2 we'll see just how far off the mark they were. Just stay home and be safe.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the british response was literally based on faulty modelling that completely collapsed under scrutiny

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Thankfully there's more than one eugenicist advising the British government, so I'm sure they'll have some more faulty modelling to lean on soon enough.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

the british response was literally based on faulty modelling that completely collapsed under scrutiny
They didn't model for the right loving disease so yeah that'll happen

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The British, known for their recent displays of competent leadership, a safe and sound model to follow.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Boris Johnson looks like a “Little Britain” character.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Boris Johnson looks like a “Little Britain” character.

Every time I remember that they oppressed and lorded over a solid percentage of the world at one point, I look to BoJo and wonder “...how?”

Like as an American citizen, I can’t cast stones, but I mean.

Cmon.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/6j7RAQ/alternativ-for-sverige-toppen-saljer-coronaskydd--for-250-kronor

Tjaaaaa, vad säger man?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

A racist moron posted:

Om inte jag tagit ENORMA PERSONLIGA RISKER hade det funnits några tusen färre andningsskydd i Sverige

how? was he dumb enough to seek a credit line from HA or something?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Nazis gotta make that capital somehow I guess?

My girlfriend at Spotify will now work from home until at least the 15th of April. And Gröna Lund is pushing back their opening this year.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 18, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Someone on the radio advised people to buy bundles of lunch coupons at nearby restaurants to support them in these difficult times. Arguing that you could save them until after the pandemic.

And my first thought was how great it would be to be stuck with 20 or 30 90 kr lunch coupons when said restaurants declares bankruptcy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I was at a construction site today and one of the floor guys goes "I got a phone call and my sister has Corona. We spent some time together soo.... Try not to catch it lol!"

10 workers just went silent and then all instantly went on lunch break at 10:30 at the same time. Half an hour later the site boss showed up and told both the floor guy and his apprentice that they were both banned from the site.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Well if everyone buys 30 coupons now and uses them after the crisis instead of paying real money all they've done is push the bankruptcy to a later date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight

teen witch posted:

This is illuminating and depressing as all get out. Are the higher ups like blissfully unaware of PostNord’s infamy among everyone and worker morale?

Like this paints a real clear picture of rot from the top and this isn’t some private retailer it’s the loving postal service, a basic civic function.

Also good thing to know about packaging, seems kind of obvious in hindsight

Nah, they know about PostNords rep but are doing all the wrong things in order to change it. They are really big on customer feedback and pointless statistics. So we get a lot of new tech to make it easier for people to complain but nothing is really being enforced vis a vis drivers wrecking poo poo. They are also really panicking, I think, over other big transport companies getting market shares (Bring, Schenker UPS as well as Budbee and the like) which means more savings, which means less pay increase and more part-time contracts. We recently had a meeting with the boss where we brought up package weight (35 kgs but no limit on number of heavy packages for a single receiver) and were basically told "get it done or get out". This enforces the feeling of us being worth less than poo poo and gets a lot of us into a mentality where we do the least we can (for example, dropping heavy packages instead of gently placing them so we save on back strain).

PostNord really is heading towards one of those companies that wants to hire only 19-year olds and recently arrived immigrants desperate for work, so they can push salaries lower and not have to worry about LAS.

But this is real factory-floor perspective. Maybe they have some grand plan to work some miracle in an industry that has hosed itself with bad hiring practices and unrealistic delivery goals xD