Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a particular compelling reason to cover rubbed ribs while they sit in the fridge overnight?

I’m worried that if I wrap mine in plastic wrap it’ll strip the rub off when I unwrap them.

EDIT: I mean I guess wrapping helps keep all the raw meat bacteria from getting on everything else in the fridge.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jan posted:

True, an overnight salt + dehydration does help, especially for grilling, or if you don't have a range + pan strong enough for a full blast sear. Pedantically speaking, that's not dry aging, though. :pseudo:

That is why I kept referring to it as ghetto dry aging. Also, I do it for 4 days unless I get too hungry in the meanwhile.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there a particular compelling reason to cover rubbed ribs while they sit in the fridge overnight?

I’m worried that if I wrap mine in plastic wrap it’ll strip the rub off when I unwrap them.

EDIT: I mean I guess wrapping helps keep all the raw meat bacteria from getting on everything else in the fridge.

stick a couple of toothpicks in to hold up the wrap, but also bacteria don’t generally fly around inside a fridge I believe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

its okay to leave them uncovered

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just did the easiest, fastest, most painless ribs foiling I’ve ever done in my entire life.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

When stuck at home obviously the thing to do is a first try at smoking a brisket.

(WSM 22”, home brew smoker temp monitor.)

11 lb whole prime brisket from Costco, trimmed and seasoned (this is the fat cap side—other side is a bit more heavily seasoned). Rub was mix of salt, pepper, and a little bit of garlic and cayenne. I probably could have trimmed a bit more fat along one edge and left a bit more over the flat, but all in all happy with the trim.

Smoker lit at 10:15. Meat went on around 11. Did not crutch or baste or turn - I literally did not open the lid from when I put the meat on to when I took it off.

Burble at 3 am is adding water to the pan. Started to rain a little around 6 AM, which is when the temp started to slide down from 225. At 8:30 am I stirred the coals a little to knock the ash off and get the heat back up.

Meat was pulled at 10:15 AM, with instant read thermometer registering 197-200, little resistance to probe, and a good wobble when smacked. Brisket was placed in a foil lined pan inside a blanket inside an insulated cooler. Allowed to rest til 12:15.

A delicious black meteor.

Sliced. Solid smoke ring, I would say, and the bark is a really good texture.

Lunchtime.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My WSM must be leaky as hell because I don't get 12 hours out of single load of fuel.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

My WSM must be leaky as hell because I don't get 12 hours out of single load of fuel.

How are you lighting it? I fill the charcoal ring pretty much to the top, then light a half starter of coals and place them on one edge of the bed. And it doesn’t take much air to keep temp - that was at 20% on one vent and 0% on the other 2. (Top fully open always.). Also, it’s a 22”, so maybe that impacts it? But from what I’ve been told, you should be able to get 12 hours on an 18 also.

Only mod I’ve made is to gasket the fire door with some lava lock adhesive gasket.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Pretty much the same as you, but I am lighting in the middle. It makes sense to start at one end though! Never thought of that before. I know mine is leaky but 20/0/0 is pretty standard for me too. I'll have to try lighting from the side and see if that makes a difference. I'm really considering replacing my stock door with a steel door.

BTW, that brisket looks wonderful, but you didn't comment on the tenderness. Was it as done as you hoped?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 17, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The point is perfectly tender; the flat is a little dry for my taste on the non-point side, so I suspect I actually could have pulled it a little sooner, or just trimmed less fat from the flat (the parts of the flat where the fat cap was left a little thicker were nice and tender too.)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Skin on picnic party

Time to sit back and watch.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I've never seen a butt smoked with the skin on. How does it turn out? I imagine the fat under the skin renders out somewhat, but I can't imagine the skin crisping up.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I've done that twice actually because I was too lazy to cut the skin off a picnic shoulder. The skin is just a barrier to more rub coverage, and comes off like a sloppy condom.

The second time I did it, I cut a cross hatch pattern into the skin thinking it would fix that problem, but it didn't really. It just made little islands of skin all over the top, looked cool though, like a BBQ pineapple.

Cut the skin off people.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Smoke the skin, pull the skin off, fry the now smoked skin.

Die fat and happy.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Any tips for getting crispy skin on my chicken thighs/drumsticks when smoking using my treager?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

McSpankWich posted:

Cut the skin off people.

amen

wait what

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Kalman posted:

When stuck at home obviously the thing to do is a first try at smoking a brisket.

Lunchtime.

Thanks for this, I've been doing a ton of reading and might finally make the plunge and buy a smoker sometime soon but I was getting kind of intimidated by all the different instructions to do this and that every 3 hours. It's nice to know I can just trim it and toss it on for ~12 hours and then let it rest and it'll still be great.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Thanks for this, I've been doing a ton of reading and might finally make the plunge and buy a smoker sometime soon but I was getting kind of intimidated by all the different instructions to do this and that every 3 hours. It's nice to know I can just trim it and toss it on for ~12 hours and then let it rest and it'll still be great.

Just do it, buy a pork shoulder, make a fire and wait 10 hours or whatever. It’s a great hobby!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Before everything went on lockdown, I was getting these Mennonite-raised chickens from my local butcher, which seemed to be bone dry on the surface. I tried just a straight roast on the grill with a bit of wood, and it was fantastic. The skin was unreal (just rubbed and cooked, no baking soda or pre-salting) and you could hear it crunch as I split the pieces or experimentally pressed it with a fork.

Maybe you just need to really get the skin dry? Maybe the Mennonites have dark poultry magic?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I took advantage of whitening from home by making some pulled pork. This honestly may have been the best one I've ever done.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Picnic is done.
According to my Fireboard, total time since smoker on to pork pulled is is 21 hours and 54 minutes

Bone spins easily, and now the meat baby sleeps.

I will skin it later.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lookin goooood

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh my God that skin :stwoon:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I am in agreement with team-unskin. The floppy condom comparison earlier is fitting.
Yes, it may look good, but ick when chewing it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/omNMyZJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/BiudWTk.mp4

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Hey, buddy! NWS that!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

Hey, buddy! NWS that!

seriously, jesus

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hasselblad posted:

I am in agreement with team-unskin. The floppy condom comparison earlier is fitting.
Yes, it may look good, but ick when chewing it.

But you can (and should!) crisp it separately, either by blasting it under the broiler or frying it. :getin:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

holy god

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I mean that looks good but it just tastes like my monitor

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jan posted:

But you can (and should!) crisp it separately, either by blasting it under the broiler or frying it. :getin:

Oh no doubt. Crisped pork fat is my bag, but leaving it on a shoulder to block smoke from the meat is silly. Just remove and smoke separately, :shrug:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Oh no doubt. Crisped pork fat is my bag, but leaving it on a shoulder to block smoke from the meat is silly. Just remove and smoke separately, :shrug:

This whole "blocking smoke" has yet to be proven true to me.
Otherwise it'd be weird how whole smoked pigs at pig pickins still have smoke flavor penetrate the meats.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

toplitzin posted:

This whole "blocking smoke" has yet to be proven true to me.
Otherwise it'd be weird how whole smoked pigs at pig pickins still have smoke flavor penetrate the meats.

gently caress blocked smoke, leaving the skin on leaves 35% of the shoulder surface seasonless / barkless.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

atothesquiz posted:

gently caress blocked smoke, leaving the skin on leaves 35% of the shoulder surface seasonless / barkless.

But now I have crispy smoked fried pork skin, and the barks all up in the pulled pork.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

toplitzin posted:

But now I have crispy smoked fried pork skin, and the barks all up in the pulled pork.

Hasselblad posted:

Just remove and smoke separately, :shrug:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

toplitzin posted:

As the others have said, remove and smoke separately. However, honestly I've been lazy when I've accidentally bought a picnic and left the skin on too. Meh. It does look great though!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

To be fair, it's a heck of a lot easier to remove after smoking. :)

I needed to break up this meat and freeze a few portions.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

toplitzin posted:

To be fair, it's a heck of a lot easier to remove after smoking. :)

Exactly. That's where my laziness came in.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Ugh I wish the weather would stabilize. I Kickstarted the Spider-22 pellet insert and it’s been sitting in my garage since December. Maybe now that the Coronapocalyse is upon us I’ll have time and weather to use it while working from home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Huge benefit of working from home is being able to start a pork butt before logging on. The smoke rolling right now smells so good.