Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I wish that book hadn't used the awful oWoD storyteller system because it really had the superior take on so much masquerade stuff. Huge fan of that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I am startled to find out I already own this. I shouldn't be, but I am.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Vampire the Dark Ages, Twentieth Anniversary Edition is free on DriveThru.

According to the Monday Meeting notes, they're doing this five days in a row with a different Anniversary Edition corebook each day. Dark Ages, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Wraith.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

No real interest in picking this up but grabbing it anyway because free.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

I Am Just a Box posted:

According to the Monday Meeting notes, they're doing this five days in a row with a different Anniversary Edition corebook each day. Dark Ages, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Wraith.

Oh my goodness. I will absolutely jump at the Wraith one.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Loomer posted:

No one hire Eric Griffin. I’ve just found another section of him copy-pasting part of his work into a different chapter and book to avoid doing actual work.

Nearly all of the Appendix to the VtDA sourcebook Three Pillars (a sourcebook on life and social structures in medieval Europe) is directly copypasted over from the appendix to the Ars Magica 3e sourcebook Mythic Europe, with all typos and outright errors carried over verbatim.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dingo with a joint posted:

Oh my goodness. I will absolutely jump at the Wraith one.

Spoilers: it's really good.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

MonsieurChoc posted:

Spoilers: it's really good.

:dance:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

gtrmp posted:

Nearly all of the Appendix to the VtDA sourcebook Three Pillars (a sourcebook on life and social structures in medieval Europe) is directly copypasted over from the appendix to the Ars Magica 3e sourcebook Mythic Europe, with all typos and outright errors carried over verbatim.

In a worse example of reuse as outright plagiarism, the sample noir-themed adventure in The Danse Macabre, The Dark Metropolis, is stolen from the Magic in the Metropolis section on noir genre play in the Mage Chronicler's Guide, find-replacing mage terms and organizations with vampire terms and organizations. This is especially glaring when you get to the covenants, because the Invictus is not anything like the Free Council.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I find it somewhat less egregious when it's game material - even if it's scummy examples like that adventure - than Griffin's case, which is in novels. The sole draw there is a story and writing, so reusing entire chapters in completely different settings with find-replace on characters is extremely disingenuous.

gtrmp posted:

I wonder which parts of that Griffin was responsible for.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
So, that plagiarism in Danse Macabre has sad circumstances swirling around it which are not my stories to tell, but suffice to say that the freelancer responsible never worked again.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Price dropped on Werewolf: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/112871/Werewolf-The-Apocalypse-20th-Anniversary-Edition

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Vampire is getting comics, also the comics will have lore sheets

https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1239942444449296386

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Isn't that Anatole?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't that Anatole?

Isn't he dead?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
No Malkavian can be truly dead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's an extremely 90s Eclipse Comics cover. Beautiful!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

That cover is gorgeous. And Vault were one of the first publishers to speak out about comicsgate being a bunch of fash scum.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't he dead?

Well. Dead-er.

Although seriously he uploaded into the Cobweb when he died and then, well, downloaded into the Cathedral of Flesh for reasons Loomer might know.

Oh! And he took Lucita to Heaven during Gehenna, so that's nice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

That cover is gorgeous. And Vault were one of the first publishers to speak out about comicsgate being a bunch of fash scum.

That's a good sign then.

Dawgstar posted:

Well. Dead-er.

Although seriously he uploaded into the Cobweb when he died and then, well, downloaded into the Cathedral of Flesh for reasons Loomer might know.

0_0

I never did read the Gehenna novels, or finish the mega Clan Novels saga. I did like the Demon books by Greg Stolze and the Mummy books by Andrew Bates.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't that Anatole?

look at the rest of the art preview for yourself, but I don't think so

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/vampire-masquerade-comic-works-1284980?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wasn't there supposed to be a free book drop every day this week?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a free book drop every day this week?

Yes. Today is Werewolf 20. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/112871/Werewolf-The-Apocalypse-20th-Anniversary-Edition

Tomorrow is supposed to be Mage 20, then Changeling, and then Wraith.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My first V:tES deck was the pre-made Makavian one that came with Anatole, Prophet of Gehenna.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dawgstar posted:

Well. Dead-er.

Anatole is a mystery even to me. And, unfortunately, to most of the people who wrote him.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Today's is Werewolf 20

Efb

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's a good sign then.

0_0

I never did read the Gehenna novels, or finish the mega Clan Novels saga. I did like the Demon books by Greg Stolze and the Mummy books by Andrew Bates.

Gehenna was a fun novel, although the reveal at the end is glaringly obvious from the jump but it's still a fun pulpy Vampire apocalyse story.

Also Theo Bell murders the gently caress out of Hardestadt in a hotel room and it owns.

I have a couple other Masquerade novels sitting around that I might finally get around to reading.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
They vary so much. Some are competent if uninspired, some are actually kinda good in their own merit, and then you get the ones where people don't seem to understand either the setting or even what a vampire is. I've been beating the gently caress Eric drum a bit, but here's a couple more examples of why the Tremere trilogy is the weakest of the 3 clan novel trilogies:
- All vampires can drink beer.
- Vampires can die of drowning. Not deep oceanic pressure, just drowning.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I will continue to bring up As One Dead including a vampire being forced to open her mouth by holding her nose shut, forcing her to open her mouth to breathe, until I stop being annoyed by it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

I will continue to bring up As One Dead including a vampire being forced to open her mouth by holding her nose shut, forcing her to open her mouth to breathe, until I stop being annoyed by it.

Ah poo poo I think I have that one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

joylessdivision posted:

Gehenna was a fun novel, although the reveal at the end is glaringly obvious from the jump but it's still a fun pulpy Vampire apocalyse story.

Also Theo Bell murders the gently caress out of Hardestadt in a hotel room and it owns.

I have a couple other Masquerade novels sitting around that I might finally get around to reading.

Agreed, it's fun in a dumb pulpy way, my favorite bit one was Haquim turbomurdering all the Camarilla elders that propossed to frame the Assamites for the Withering, the rest of the elders just vote against the motion and flee in panic

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Today's FREE book is Mage: The Ascension 20th Anniversary edition!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/149562/Mage-The-Ascension-20th-Anniversary-Edition?affiliate_id=1268726

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As a warning, it is very Phil "Forsooth and hey nonny-nonny" Brucato.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dawgstar posted:

As a warning, it is very Phil "Forsooth and hey nonny-nonny" Brucato.

Remind me again what Phil did? I know he's kind of uh, "special" when it comes to writing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, there's a number of answers to that question, but from my perspective the #1 thing Mage Twentieth Anniversary needed was to rehabilitate the Traditions, who are already so unpopular that lots of people would rather pretend the fascists are the good guys than accept them as protagonists.

Brucato decided to blackwash them and whitewash the Technocracy instead, and decide that the whole concept of global Ascension was nonsense.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rand Brittain posted:

Brucato decided to blackwash them and whitewash the Technocracy instead, and decide that the whole concept of global Ascension was nonsense.

The Syndicate does want what is best for everyone. :)

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The Syndicate does want what is best for everyone. :)

Eh, from a good materialist perspective the Syndicate is right. Behold: money and things. Wealth beyond measure, outlander. Shame that a man’s life is not defined only by the number in his bank account and the toys in his basement, and all the actual meaningful stuff is totally discounted by the Technocracy. No room for hope, love, freindship, play, or dignity for the boys in gray.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
M20 is absolutely total garbage but even then I'd be hard-pressed to rank it among Brucato's top 5 offenses.

Someone suffered through Changing Breeds for F+Friends, I think? That's a good place to start.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Changing Breeds is probably much worse in a vacuum but I feel like having the centerpiece of the line and Mage's only real hope for revival this decade be terrible is a much worse thing in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, oMage's, anyway.

One Mage game didn't need rehab.