Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Lots of people being absolute shits at work today and wildly busy. Is now really the best time to get in the wrong side of pharmacy staff? Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

if no-one's printing they can't gently caress the things up.
Look into your heart and you will know this to be untrue.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

fortunately the Church in Wales & Church in England finally decided from today to cancel almost all services (except weddings and funerals and those have limitations).
Ah, good to see they've found a way to limit people dying during a pandemic.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Disappointing to see people in my local town facebook group unsarcastically praising Boris & co for 'looking after us, the little people' following whatever Sunnak said today.
:smdh:
Post this in response.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

Lots of people being absolute shits at work today and wildly busy. Is now really the best time to get in the wrong side of pharmacy staff? Jesus Christ.

How long is it until you are in charge of a gang of people from the pharmacy as a kind of Lord Humungous figure? Because then they will see, they will all see.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

This has had the unfortunate effect of crippling a good chunk of the foodbank network. Hundreds of foodbanks work out of Church buildings, and they've effectively been evicted with zero notice. My mother volunteers at the local foodbank, and as of today they are effectively shut.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Limitations on people attending, not on the quantity!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ikwaylx posted:

I try and cope with my difficulties in life with humour but I think today was the first day I've truly felt anxious about what's going on out there. Pure fear. Everyone I talk to is just carrying on as normal, planning film nights and stag do weekends, and all I can think is just "why are you blind to what's going to happen over these next weeks?"

It's like the UK society has a cognitive hole, nothing bad can happen here, and it's really making me anxious as my grandpa has bronchitis and my surrogate grandma is on so many medicines and can barely walk. I would never forgive myself if I just kept going, got them ill and put them in hospital or even kill them. Don't others see that?

Sorry to get E/N in here, but I just needed to vent because today has been really hard.

I am incredibly worried about my dad who has a serious heart condition. He is at least isolating but you just never know. Tough times.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Soylent Yellow posted:

This has had the unfortunate effect of crippling a good chunk of the foodbank network. Hundreds of foodbanks work out of Church buildings, and they've effectively been evicted with zero notice. My mother volunteers at the local foodbank, and as of today they are effectively shut.

I didn't think of that. Our local foodbank is in one of the non-conformist churches.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

How long is it until you are in charge of a gang of people from the pharmacy as a kind of Lord Humungous figure? Because then they will see, they will all see.

loving *soon* at this rate. Thanks for understanding me JB <3

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
WhatsApped my team that I'd been coughing in the morning and ended up not going to work even though it calmed down. Went home in time to see the company is finally directing us all to WFH. I only have tomorrow then I use up my annual leave where I was supposed to be going to Singapore. Pretty sure I'm fine now, which is good because it's going to be tough to be distant enough from dad.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Josef bugman posted:

https://twitter.com/rapplesnake/status/1238085874212093952?s=19

This seems appropriate. (For you English, Dunnes means Dunnes Stores. It's a lower price M&S.)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

£94 is the weekly amount for statutory sick pay, which has just been amended to start from day 1 of reporting sick instead of by day 4. Has your friend possibly confused that for UBI?

e: Its also being rolled out for people who aren't sick but are having to self isolate. Go to the update titled, "UK Emergency Legislation published" at 19:08.

ah so rather than UBI they're continuing to not give a single gently caress about the unemployed, imagine my surprise

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Julio Cruz posted:

ah so rather than UBI they're continuing to not give a single gently caress about the unemployed, imagine my surprise

I'm looking forward to being made to apply for all the jobs that don't loving exist.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Eararaldor posted:

Can I ask what your school is using for Remote learning? (I’m assuming secondary?) We literally discovered Microsoft Teams last week and out upper management jumped on it. It then crashed on Monday from over use as organisations all over Europe started using it.

It’s all a last minute mess.

I'm a Computing teacher so I use MS Teams with my yr10 + 12. There is no school-wide VLE/remote learning thing. We will be sending work home via email (first ones printed out and given out by hand too to ease them in to it) and they will do it in books or on paper or on their computer if they like/have one?

MS Teams can be great. Downsides include it sometimes (even not when under massive stress like this week) likes to not sync work. If you've not got lots of experience with OneNote then putting together the class notebook in a rush is going to be a true pain. It's one of those things that benefits so much by having a coherent design followed. Otherwise you'll end up with a hodgepodge that won't work so well.

Did you see the NEU letter? https://neu.org.uk/press-releases/coronavirus-school-closure-update be good if all of those teachers don't go in on Monday. Would surely force the matter with that number of people not going in.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ikwaylx posted:

I try and cope with my difficulties in life with humour but I think today was the first day I've truly felt anxious about what's going on out there. Pure fear. Everyone I talk to is just carrying on as normal, planning film nights and stag do weekends, and all I can think is just "why are you blind to what's going to happen over these next weeks?"

It's like the UK society has a cognitive hole, nothing bad can happen here, and it's really making me anxious as my grandpa has bronchitis and my surrogate grandma is on so many medicines and can barely walk. I would never forgive myself if I just kept going, got them ill and put them in hospital or even kill them. Don't others see that?

Sorry to get E/N in here, but I just needed to vent because today has been really hard.

I was assuming it was all the: "I never watch the news" people who were doing the panic buying when they suddenly realised that a crisis was on. There must be an additional group of people who really, really don't watch the news and are going to get a big surprise when they try to do their usual weekend shop.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

HopperUK posted:

Have you got any thermometers in stock??

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

MS Teams threw a bit of a wibbly yesterday after a sudden influx of users.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My brother works at an outsourced NHS admin company. A colleague of his is off with flu symptoms. Today they were interviewing for a position and he’d applied for it. Some idiot manager sent him a text saying if he missed the interview, that’s it for his chance of promotion, so he came in. Brothers team mate has messed up lungs so he refused to do the interview. Boss told my brother to do it, he refused and basically said let’s see you make trouble for me here. He went back to his desk and emailed his bosses boss saying “here’s what we’re doing, here’s OUR OWN GUIDANCE, spot the difference”. Whole thing cancelled, but not before all twelve applicants sat in a room with the ill guy for forty minutes. Brilliant.

Just realised that I might not be able to get locusts for my lizards, and I’ll have to feed them either my beetle grubs or my beautiful beautiful exotic woodlice. Truly the darkest timeline.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm working in Liverpool city centre today and the number of nobheads out celebrating st paddy's day despite, y'know, the global pandemic we're in the middle of, is astounding. Smdh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

UnquietDream posted:

Well the problems we'd run into and we have done it in a very limited way for a single person calling in via Skype but the scale with everyone attending is far more significant. So what we'd have problems with is right to work documents for the external examiner, integrity of the process (what happens if something goes wrong), what is the pathway for an allegation of unfair practice. Is this something your institution has done previously and has already procedures in place to deal with them?

I'm not sure which perspective (examiner, chair or candidate) you're coming at it from but one of the things we've got to do is ensure that the candidate can say no and have their Viva delayed for X period and the examiners can also say no. We have to do that for a whole bunch of legal reasons.

I'm the candidate so I wasn't really privy to any of these discussions, sorry

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

That seems like completely gently caress all

Not even enough for my city

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

Just realised that I might not be able to get locusts for my lizards, and I’ll have to feed them either my beetle grubs or my beautiful beautiful exotic woodlice. Truly the darkest timeline.
Have the Tories sent them all to East Africa or something?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Recommendation to avoid pubs has not gone down well..

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Hahaha, they just cancelled the IR35 changes two weeks before they were due to implement them. After the vast majority of the damage has already been done, and most people have either accepted an inside arrangement or left the contact. Not that it really matters I guess, as most contractors are going to have their one week notice invoked soon.

This loving government, jesus.

E: Pushed them back to April 2021, with two weeks notice. So another joyous year of uncertainty and loving about.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 17, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Sanford posted:

My brother works at an outsourced NHS admin company. A colleague of his is off with flu symptoms. Today they were interviewing for a position and he’d applied for it. Some idiot manager sent him a text saying if he missed the interview, that’s it for his chance of promotion, so he came in. Brothers team mate has messed up lungs so he refused to do the interview. Boss told my brother to do it, he refused and basically said let’s see you make trouble for me here. He went back to his desk and emailed his bosses boss saying “here’s what we’re doing, here’s OUR OWN GUIDANCE, spot the difference”. Whole thing cancelled, but not before all twelve applicants sat in a room with the ill guy for forty minutes. Brilliant.

The final sentence of this swung my assumptions about you from standard office worker kind of guy to some sort of creature who lives in a murky cavern, surrounded by the wriggling monstrosities that you tend to.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I know it's incredibly first order thinking schadenfreude and insensitive to all the low-paid staff that will lose their jobs, but gently caress Tim Martin

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's completely gently caress all.

Unsurprisingly.

The churches closing food banks things also applies to our local winter night shelter scheme.

Rough sleepers are really getting hosed over by this mess, even more than normal :smith:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

i was almost prepared for Heartbreaking: due to boris actually loving over pubs everywhere by just asking people not to go, but of course mister Wetherspoon's take is that herd immunity is a cracking idea

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I work for Sainsbury’s. Today, internal comms said this:

quote:

This Thursday 19th March between 8 and 10am all our supermarkets will be open to elderly and vulnerable customers only to ensure we can support them to shop at a quieter time and when we have maximum availability for the day before a period of potential isolation.

Please pass this on to whomever you feel would benefit. I don’t believe it’ll apply to Sainsbury’s Local stores, just supermarkets.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Communist Thoughts posted:

The part I was lolling about was '(Does make you wonder why we can't afford to house people in regular times).'

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/TenantsUnitedHP/status/1240009801075232770?s=20

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I had an appointment within walking distance so I went. On the way there and back I was frankly slack-jawed in amazement at the amount of people just going about as if nothing is going on. I walked past a Wetherspoons and through the windows I could see that while I wouldn't say it was busy, it was far from deserted as it should have been. That pub is basically the gammon hive for the area, so maybe that explains that. There were also people in restaurants, and just hanging about in a group with their friends in the street.

Suffice to say, the current government policy of "don't go to pubs, pretty please" isn't working.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I had an appointment within walking distance so I went. On the way there and back I was frankly slack-jawed in amazement at the amount of people just going about as if nothing is going on. I walked past a Wetherspoons and through the windows I could see that while I wouldn't say it was busy, it was far from deserted as it should have been. That pub is basically the gammon hive for the area, so maybe that explains that. There were also people in restaurants, and just hanging about in a group with their friends in the street.

Suffice to say, the current government policy of "don't go to pubs, pretty please" isn't working.

most places in my town were reasonably quiet but the shopping areas did have a large amount of olds. they weren't doing necessary shopping but just wondering about like normal.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wachter posted:

I know it's incredibly first order thinking schadenfreude and insensitive to all the low-paid staff that will lose their jobs, but gently caress Tim Martin

Just lol if you think he's gonna lose anything from this. Tim Martin will get a huge government bailout along with every other company that supported the tories. The people he employed are likely gonna get made unemployed and have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks before they can get a UC payment which will not even cover rent.

Final crisis of capitalism time, lets go.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Loads of pubs near me have closed, though I did go pick up a burger (worrying about the whole thing means I wanted to have one last good meal/beer and doing that now) and there were still a fair few folk.

I just hope we all come out okay.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

We're doing our teaching via Zoom, & honestly it's working pretty well. Low turnout probably helps tho.

Anyway here's some public information:

the abstract of some study I just got sent, PM me if you want the source posted:

HCoV-19 (SARS-2) has caused >88,000 reported illnesses with a current case-fatality ratio of ~2%. Here,
34 we investigate the stability of viable HCoV-19 on surfaces and in aerosols in comparison with SARS-
35 CoV-1. Overall, stability is very similar between HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1. We found that viable virus
36 could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization, up to 4 hours on copper, up to 24 hours on
37 cardboard and up to 2-3 days on plastic and stainless steel. HCoV-19 and SARS-CoV-1 exhibited similar
38 half-lives in aerosols, with median estimates around 2.7 hours. Both viruses show relatively long viability
39 on stainless steel and polypropylene compared to copper or cardboard: the median half-life estimate for
40 HCoV-19 is around 13 hours on steel and around 16 hours on polypropylene. Our results indicate that
41 aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for
42 multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

Sanford posted:

Our childminder has said if she’s forced to close, we still have to pay her 50%. Not sure about that one but equally still want to have a childminder when this is all done.
This sounds like horseshit, send me the contract terms if you like. I've represented a lot of self employed childminders, & unfair contract terms are absolutely my jam.

e:

Yes, it is a pub

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Josef bugman posted:

We found that viable virus could be detected in aerosols up to 3 hours post aerosolization...Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days.

This is to my knowledge pretty major news. Everything I'd heard prior indicated that while the virus could survive on hard surfaces for up to 72 hours and could be transmitted through droplets, it could not be aerosolized.

This means that even with rigorous cleaning transmission on public transport and in offices, for instance, is probably way more of an issue than previously thought.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

I work in a dispensary at a very busy surgery, and it is just chaos this week, even more so than the last couple of weeks. Plenty of people being absolute shits towards staff, bare minimum staff numbers due to self-isolation or being in a high-risk group and having to work elsewhere in the building. My manager has to do what she can from home, leaving myself and another colleague to run the day to day. My nerves are almost shot at this point from having to work 12 hour shifts of constant go and making sure we are keeping on top of the workload and not killing anyone with mistakes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

smiling giraffe posted:

Have you got any thermometers in stock??

No we haven't. Unless people ask again, and then explain how important it is that they get one! If they do that, I have a magical stock I can access from OUT OF MY ACTUAL ARSE.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

HopperUK posted:

I have a magical stock I can access from OUT OF MY ACTUAL ARSE.
I mean it kinda makes sense that you'd still want to keep an eye on your own temperature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While I applaud your dilligence you don't need to use multiple rectal thermometers at the same time, one is quite enough to gauge whether or not you have a fever. Or if the beans are cooked.