Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Diamond is letting shops sell this week's books a day early, so if you want to grab them tonight go ahead. Seems like an odd thing to announce so late in the day, but it is a nice thing in this difficult time.

Nonessential businesses are being shut down everyday by states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Heres to digital.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Marvel posted:

Psychic Twins. “All twins are psychic, but we’re psychic-er.” Snowflake, a cryokinetic, can materialize snowflake-shaped shuriken projectiles for throwing. Safespace can materialize pink forcefields, but he can’t inhabit them himself, the reflex only works if he’s protecting others. They’re hyper aware of modern culture and optics, and they see their Super Heroics as “a post-ironic meditation on using violence to combat bullying.” They're probably streaming this.

"Snowflake and Safespace are the twins," the writer says, "and their names are very similar to Screentime; it's this idea that these are terms that get thrown around on the internet that they don't see as derogatory. [They] take those words and kind of wear them as badges of honor.

"Safespace is a big, burly, sort of stereotypical jock. He can create forcefields, but he can only trigger them if he's protecting somebody else. Snowflake is non-binary and goes by they/them, and has the power to generate individual crystalized snowflake-shaped shurikens. The connotations of the word 'snowflake' in our culture right now are something fragile, and this is a character who is turning it into something sharp.

"Snowflake is the person who has the more offensive power, and Safespace is the person who has the more defensive power. The idea is that they would mirror each other and complement each other."
:wtc:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I read the full article about the New Warriors team and honestly they all seem like one-off characters designed to be killed off in some kind of mean-spirited joke about zoomers, which I hope isn't the case because I feel like there is a desire for non-binary characters in popular fiction that isn't being very broadly fulfilled. I do not have high hopes for a character named Screentime who gets his power from "experimental internet gas," however.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

How Wonderful! posted:

I do not have high hopes for a character named Screentime who gets his power from "experimental internet gas," however.

He's powered by the cloud.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Literally naming your non-binary character Snowflake.

Jesus loving Christ.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When you are naming characters for a team book, you have to think about how it sounds when they're yelling each other's names out in the middle of battle, especially when you're explicitly creating them for a team book. Claremont era X-Men are like the gold standard for this, and I think that's why no one ever refers to Jean Grey as Marvel Girl, X-Men '92 Cyclops jokes aside, "Jean" is a much better name to shout in an emergency than "Marvel Girl."

"Quick, attack their flank Safespace"
"Get the civilians to safety Snowflake"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

So we have Screentime, Safespace, Snowflake, B-Negative, and Trailblazer. I can't think of another team with that small of a roster (not counting the old New Warriors here) where 3/5 of the member names not only start with the same name but are metrically identical. Both of those features are going to make it difficult to keep the characters mentally separate, and it makes me think these are, again, possibly meant to be short term disposable characters, as if Kibblesmith had that heavy trochee in mind and just came up with a bunch of names in a hurry. Also B-Negative is an atrociously ugly superhero name.

I want this to be good because like I said, I would love more non-binary and trans characters in mainstream superhero comics (or mainstream anything) and I like how distinct the characters' body types are, but this looks super hacky. I haven't read anything else by Kibblesmith, is his Loki any good at all?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It kinda feels like the modern version of the late 80s early 90s trend of black guy with a skateboard to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

I want this to be good because like I said, I would love more non-binary and trans characters in mainstream superhero comics (or mainstream anything) and I like how distinct the characters' body types are, but this looks super hacky. I haven't read anything else by Kibblesmith, is his Loki any good at all?

I'm reading Loki on Unlimited and the first three issues are decent.

Koi Boy Solo series when?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Koi Boy Solo series when?

Extremely on board for this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
this reeks of reclaiming and I don't think it will go well. Hopefully it goes better than loving spencer's sjws in cap falcon.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Kibblesmith's Loki was a lot of fun, his Lockjaw series didn't work but at least it was trying to do something different. From everything I've seen of/from him he's at a bare minimum not a garbage person and seems in fact to be a pretty good dude (we have an IRL mutual friend too who has no tolerance for lovely humans so that's in my math) so as not encouraging as this seems I'm willing to at least see what he does with them. It's really cringey on first glance though.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Kibblesmith is both a funny and sincere guy, so while the names and designs might be off-putting to some, I don’t think you have to worry about him acting in bad faith.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
its like the second coming of the social justice warriors from spencers samcap

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Kibblesmith is both a funny and sincere guy, so while the names and designs might be off-putting to some, I don’t think you have to worry about him acting in bad faith.

His intention is tertiary, unfortunately. I'm non-binary, and I showed that to friends of mine who are also non-binary or genderqueer: the response was universal offense. "Safespace" is cringey, naming your first supposedly high profile non-binary hero "Snowflake" is massively tonedeaf and insulting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

It's like if X-Statix sucked rear end

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those names are worth it for how mad it’s going to make comicgaters.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe it's like a Thunderbolts situation where a bunch of superpowered MAGA villains are pretending to be progressive heroes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

I dunno, this seems like a bit too much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those names seem like something the comicgaters would name parody characters.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Cabbit posted:

His intention is tertiary, unfortunately. I'm non-binary, and I showed that to friends of mine who are also non-binary or genderqueer: the response was universal offense. "Safespace" is cringey, naming your first supposedly high profile non-binary hero "Snowflake" is massively tonedeaf and insulting.

Fair enough!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

pissing off actual queer people to own the chuds

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Someone pointed it out, naming a black non-binary character "Snowflake" is tone-deaf, regardless of the intensions. Nearly every person I've seen talk about this has been, at best, bewilderment as to why. Especially when it's written by two cis white dudes. They need to do a rewrite of this bad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

cartoons123 posted:

Someone pointed it out, naming a black non-binary character "Snowflake" is tone-deaf, regardless of the intensions. Nearly every person I've seen talk about this has been, at best, bewilderment as to why. Especially when it's written by two cis white dudes. They need to do a rewrite of this bad

Here's my constructive criticism of how to make the pitch better:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also worth pointing out, daniel kibblesmith is one of the founders of clickhole

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe it's all a trick to piss off Chuds?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

it's a terrible plan then, since they've just ended up pissing off everyone, including the people they're trying to write for

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Extrano from Englehart's New Guardians was an important landmark as an early gay character in Big Two cape comics, but nobody celebrates him because he was a poorly written cartoonish stereotype who got HIV from an HIVampire.

I'll check out Kibblesmith's Loki and keep an open mind but I don't like queer characters to feel like stunt-casting.

Lurdiak posted:

Here's my constructive criticism of how to make the pitch better:

I mean you could fix the pitch by just naming the twins like, Bulwark and Kid Frost or something, and not loving calling a character something as clunky and stupid as B-Negative. I feel like with different names and slightly less condescending language in the press release I'd be like "oh neat, an enby character."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those designs are not exactly getting great reactions from POC NBs, even names aside.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhyno posted:

Who loving cares if it is, honestly

I'm getting real sick of straight white cis dudes jerking themselves off furiously at the thought of making Nazis - the easiest people in the world to get angry - angry while throwing people like me under the bus for chuckles.

I think it's infinitely more likely this is well-meaning but completely misguided, in which case sure the intentions are good but maybe ask a single nonbinary person first???

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 18, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm just looking for some reasoning behind this. I want to believe they can't be this tone def but then I remember who the EiC is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I'm getting real sick of straight white cis dudes jerking themselves off furiously at the thought of making Nazis - the easiest people in the world to get angry - angry while throwing people like me under the bus for chuckles.

I think it's infinitely more likely this is well-meaning but completely misguided, in which case sure the intentions are good but maybe ask a single nonbinary person first???

Yeah, if they really wanted to piss off the Nazis just hire more queer, trans, NB or PoC creators.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How Wonderful! posted:

I'll check out Kibblesmith's Loki and keep an open mind but I don't like queer characters to feel like stunt-casting.

His Loki series was, imo, shaping up to be a worthy successor to Ewing's Agent of Asgard...and then it just sort of ends because Marvel cancelled it after five issues.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

howe_sam posted:

His Loki series was, imo, shaping up to be a worthy successor to Ewing's Agent of Asgard...and then it just sort of ends because Marvel cancelled it after five issues.

I didn't realize it was canceled so quickly. Why the gently caress do they accept pitches from newish creators for non traditional stories starring niche characters and then not even wait to see how well the first Trade does before poo poo canning them?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i thought loki was always meant to be a mini

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also this isn't even Marvel's first nonbinary hero! Loki has effectively been a hero for years and has been established as genderfluid for about the same span of time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

'trolling the chuds' is used as an excuse for all sorts of awful poo poo that does nothing but create a divide where non-'standard' characters are treated as weird oddities who need to be emphasized in the worst ways

just create what you want to create or what you feel will speak to people, do it earnestly, and if you aren't sure about how to handle something, talk to people who belong to that group. i dont give a single solitary poo poo what Race Realist Deadpool thinks and the way people overemphasize making those types mad is what gives them so much of their power to begin with. Nobody would know what half these people were saying or thinking if people didn't quote them on twitter constantly, and even for the ones that do have a fanbase or following, who gives a poo poo? there's nothing you can do about them, even in an ideal world people will always get mad about this kind of stuff. Just make what you want to and let them stew.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
like, vita ayala literally works for marvel and danny apparently couldnt even be bothered to shoot them a dm in the marvel slack to ask their opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
another year another infinity stone event

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1240339856452202498