Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Lord Of Texas posted:

Tabletop Simulator

TTS is hard. Tried a hot seat of 46 and I just couldn't get it to do anything at all. I understand it's not supposed to enforce rules but really we might as well use our phones as video instead of what was implemented on TTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mayveena posted:

Boardgamearena offers video and audio for premium members. Sub is $24 a year or $4 a month.

but no undo or confirm button!?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I think I can trade that for full rule enforcement. No undo stops backsies, this is a good thing :)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Depends on the game, Tash Kalar lets you undo but then it also lets your opponent see all your fuckups.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Thanks for input re:Root

I just wish I had more friends near where I live so I can hold regular game days. :sigh:
The hour+ drive between my groups sort of kills hosting regular board game days.

Played a Moles v Lizards v Birds v WA game on Tabletop Simulator last night and once we figured out how to deal with the UI, it went great.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mayveena posted:

TTS is hard. Tried a hot seat of 46 and I just couldn't get it to do anything at all. I understand it's not supposed to enforce rules but really we might as well use our phones as video instead of what was implemented on TTS.

Yeah, TTS has a learning curve for sure. Once you know it though, it's actually easier than in person in a lot of ways (shuffling is instant, copy/paste tokens instead of digging through bags, many games have one-click scripted game setup, save your game state without leaving it on the dining room table)

Of course to each their own, i'm just having a hard time imagining the phones-as-video approach unless everyone is able to clearly communicate "move my piece there. no i mean there. " etc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Picking up a stack of similar items and jiggling the mouse a little too much to shuffle them is a TTS blessing and curse.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Red7 has an undo button! I don't think they have the staff to backport that into their other games, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yeah, TTS has a learning curve for sure. Once you know it though, it's actually easier than in person in a lot of ways (shuffling is instant, copy/paste tokens instead of digging through bags, many games have one-click scripted game setup, save your game state without leaving it on the dining room table)

Of course to each their own, i'm just having a hard time imagining the phones-as-video approach unless everyone is able to clearly communicate "move my piece there. no i mean there. " etc.

For 18xx, I'd imagine it's just "gentle curve at the end of that line, run these two routes for 40 and 60, withhold" which requires almost nothing you're describing.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

If you're gonna play 18xx via phones-and-cameras you may as well just play it via spreadsheets-and-board18.

TTS is real good though. Our first game of Root on it was a little slower than tabletop, but I think more games would be as fast if not faster.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
FWIW Boardgamearena is currently overloaded and trying to increase their server count. I've literally never seen this happen before, they apparently have a cap of 9.5k.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is BAJ still good or is it slowing down too?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chill la Chill posted:

Is BAJ still good or is it slowing down too?

Seems fine.

And honestly BGA seems to have caught up again very quickly, I just finished Not Coming Last in a good game of Russian Railroads, a feat which I keep repeating. I think I have yet to actually win one :( I do like the game but boy does it feel bad when the UI tricks you into spending a rouble you didn't intend to rather than passing...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Seems fine.

And honestly BGA seems to have caught up again very quickly, I just finished Not Coming Last in a good game of Russian Railroads, a feat which I keep repeating. I think I have yet to actually win one :( I do like the game but boy does it feel bad when the UI tricks you into spending a rouble you didn't intend to rather than passing...

Yeah RR could do with a Confirm/Undo just before your turn end. Though it's OK in mid turn take backs.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The owner of BGA thinks that Undo buttons and confirm buttons are bad. Some games however (e.g. Tash Kalar) have specified that undoing is fine and those have them.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Alright this post will be long but I'm looking for advice on maybe some game to look into nor games in my collection to skip
I finally have the family interested in some board games. My lady seems open to drat near any game at least a few times the kids tend to find games that are too in depth either too nerdy or complex(they are 11, 13, 16 and 18. The boys love video games and the girls are too hip. Boys tend to get too competitive though)

Basic variations of uno, life, Brain games were all I could do for a while
Then came Love Letter everyone enjoyed it, ask to play it repeatedly and is good.
Age of War great with the girls

My lady has tried Smash up and struggled with some of the combos, she picked a lovely deck combo and.thats on me.
She loved, and I think the kids would as well, Carcassonne and Forbidden Desert

My current collection of games is
One Zero One
Hanabi
X Com
Code names
League of Legends
Viticulture + Tuscany
Euphoria
Flash Point
Warhammer Quest the Card Game
Disk Wars
Imperial Assault
Ghost Stories
War of the Indines
Machi Koro
Warhammer Conquest
Death Angel
Star Fluxx
Eminent Domain
Combat Commander Europe
Dead of winter
4 Gods
Arkham Horror CCG
For Sale
Warmachine High Command
Ticket to Ride(don'trecall which one)

Some seem as no goes with at least the kids. 4 Gods is a maybe, Viticulture for sure for the 2 of us, maybe Machi Koro
Splendor and Pandemic seem like great options. I've been away from board games for so long I don't know what else to look for. Thoughts? Ideas?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I can't stress enough how much I love D&D Dungeon Mayhem and am recommending it to everyone.

It's just a fantastic light warm up game for a board game day, and rounds are usually over in 10min.

The 2nd expansion being able to hold all 12 characters makes it just an absolutely delightful box to bring out at the start and ends of a session.

Plus it's cheap! Just buy the base game and see if you like it first before committing to the rest of the set.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Depends how many you want to play with at once. For all six of you, Camel Up, Cockroach Poker or One Night Ultimate Werewolf seem good. For less than that, they seem to be in the range for Barenpark, Mysterium and Tokaido.

E: also Decrypto is better than Codenames.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Alright this post will be long but I'm looking for advice on maybe some game to look into nor games in my collection to skip
I finally have the family interested in some board games. My lady seems open to drat near any game at least a few times the kids tend to find games that are too in depth either too nerdy or complex(they are 11, 13, 16 and 18. The boys love video games and the girls are too hip. Boys tend to get too competitive though)

Some seem as no goes with at least the kids. 4 Gods is a maybe, Viticulture for sure for the 2 of us, maybe Machi Koro
Splendor and Pandemic seem like great options. I've been away from board games for so long I don't know what else to look for. Thoughts? Ideas?
I think Mysterium is really good fun especially if you have one family/group member who won't shut the gently caress up because you make them be the ghost and enjoy the torture of them not being able to speak for an hour

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gifted Klask! to my Niece and Brother tonight for their birthdays.

Instant hit. They are super competitive, and they basically played it for hours.
Fairly cheap and great value for money.

Would highly recommend if you are having a house party as it's great to spectate as well.

There are World Championships for this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZRAJPFPd7c

It's great.
(Makes me want a Crokinole board even more though)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh and if you didn't see the news today, Wingspan is coming to the Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEt8k5_XRg

I've wanted to pick up the physical edition for a while now, so I guess I'll give the digital version a burl to see if I enjoy it before dropping the dosh on the real thing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks, since board game sales will almost certainly tank, maybe we'll get lucky and get rid of Asmodee.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Azul is always a great option. Personally I recommend the first one because it allows the players to dictate whether the game is nice or mean.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I have lots of time on my hands to finally do a live run through of Through the Ages so I can get a feel for doing the bookkeeping myself compared to the app game doing it automatically but holy poo poo the tracker boards take up so much space. I saw a suggestion on BGG to just use the culture tracker to track everything (with the corresponding pieces), which seems like it could work. Is there an app that just does the tracking?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks, since board game sales will almost certainly tank, maybe we'll get lucky and get rid of Asmodee.

Unfortunately it’s more likely this’ll kill some other smaller publishers that Asmodee buys up for cheap.

Asmodee will just fire a couple studios worth of people and keep on trucking.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Unfortunately it’s more likely this’ll kill some other smaller publishers that Asmodee buys up for cheap.

Asmodee will just fire a couple studios worth of people and keep on trucking.

I hope the hell not. What a plague on the hobby.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The global recession will definitely hurt the equity firm’s plan to cut and sell Asmodee though, so maybe that’s a silver lining (aside from all the dead games and lost jobs that happened in the process)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

admanb posted:

If you're gonna play 18xx via phones-and-cameras you may as well just play it via spreadsheets-and-board18.

Yeah this is the way to go. Getting my rear end kicked in 1880 atm :v:

I’d be up for a goon 18xx whenever

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

The global recession will definitely hurt the equity firm’s plan to cut and sell Asmodee though, so maybe that’s a silver lining (aside from all the dead games and lost jobs that happened in the process)

Silver lining, absolutely. No, it's going to be hell on publishers, I'm sure given the factory situation in China it already is hell. And as more factories start shutting down in Europe, it's going to get even worse. So the best advice seems to be buy what you want now as games may not be coming back for awhile. OR you could figure that if you bought anything you have no one to play it with anyway and just wait the whole thing out.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm eyeing Catacombs and noticing there is now Catacombs 3rd edition, Catacombs and Castles and Catacombs Conquest(not including expansions)

Is one recommended over the others? I'd like to get my hands on a flick em sorta dexterity based game

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
kickstarter going from a viable way for indie publishers to get tgames out to the only way for publishers to get games out

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm eyeing Catacombs and noticing there is now Catacombs 3rd edition, Catacombs and Castles and Catacombs Conquest(not including expansions)

Is one recommended over the others? I'd like to get my hands on a flick em sorta dexterity based game

Flick em Up or Flick Em Up Dead of Winter do the flicking thing way better. Or if you want real strategy + flicking, Seal Team Flix

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Catacombs' rulebook feels like it's four times as long as a rulebook for a flicky dex-game like that should be and I'm not sure I've ever actually gotten it to the table for a real game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Bottom liner covered it pretty well, Flick em up is better. If you must do Catacombs, Conquest is the way to go. It’s a simplified version of game, regular Catacombs is too complicated and lengthy for its own good.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Terror in Meeple City is also a flick game I'll throw in. It's Rampage the video game in board game form.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Crackbone posted:

Bottom liner covered it pretty well, Flick em up is better. If you must do Catacombs, Conquest is the way to go. It’s a simplified version of game, regular Catacombs is too complicated and lengthy for its own good.
This is true and i say this after recently going big on the Kickstarter. Set up and tear down takes forever, the game doesn't particularly justify the length all that well and you could probably get a similar level of fun flicking from the other games mentioned earlier.

It's still a fine game and I enjoyed playing it, but it might be tough to get to the table regularly until I can think of a way to stream line it and have it set up ready for when people arrive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cryptozoic have a crash sale on. Most of their games are crappy DC/Rick and Morty/Walking Dead licences, but you can get Internal Affairs for $5 and both Master of Orion and Martin Wallace's The Arrival for $10.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Flick em Up or Flick Em Up Dead of Winter do the flicking thing way better. Or if you want real strategy + flicking, Seal Team Flix

Thank you for all the responses!
Seal Team Flix looks like worse case I'll enjoy the hell out of it

Now gotta poke at Flick Em Up and the Dead of Winter one to see which to grab

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The DoW one is a coop that uses a cube tower to tumble zombies out and it’s pretty cute and effective. Regular is a great little dueling flicking game with great components and fun little scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Alright so this is what I'm looking at ordering Friday
Forbidden Island Slightly different enough from Forbidden Desert and maybe the theme will hook some more kids to join us
Pandemic Legacy Season 1 We can do the base game until people are comfortable and switch to legacy mode. Thematic AND fun
Flick em Up Dead of Winter
5 Minute Marvel
Dungeon Mayhem

These seem like must have. Not sure what else I could be missing currently but these are all basically co-op like or quick.
I am HEAVILY debating tacking on
Seal Team Flix as it looks bad rear end as gently caress and kinda like Doorkickers on the PC. A solo mode helps me worse case
Undauted: Normandy not sure if my lady will enjoy it but everything about it screams this is up my alley

Oh and we have Sushi Go. Forgot I had that kicking around. Thank you everyone. Hopefully these are all hits and I can spread out into some more games. I think Viticulture + Tuscany will get my lady into some more complex games