Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know how in a disaster movie they always have some mentally unstable homeless man or religious fanatic at the beginning picketing with a doomsday sign? I just saw that for real for the first time in my life. And it wasn't some ironic teenager bored and out of school. This was a grown rear end man. On a semi busy street pretty too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

You know how in a disaster movie they always have some mentally unstable homeless man or religious fanatic at the beginning picketing with a doomsday sign? I just saw that for real for the first time in my life. And it wasn't some ironic teenager bored and out of school. This was a grown rear end man. On a semi busy street pretty too.

He isnt wrong

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

I have been to downtown Seattle a few times over the years for ECCC and every year I see at least 2 or 3 per day. I always wondered if they got into fights with each other about how the world would end.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

He isnt wrong

His included some babble about the 7 Trumpets blasting over Megiddo. Pretty sure he is.

Though if not, poo poo's gonna be entertaining at least.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lifg posted:

Look at the Eisners "Best Academic Work" and "Best Comic-Related Work."

I can recommend "Reading Comics" by Wolk (won an Eisner in 2008). It's a series of essays on different comics he loves. A few of them are superheros.

I mentioned last thread that I picked up Latinx Superheroes in Mainstream Comics which won one of those years. I didn't say anything further because I found it be relatively weak overall. Not very engaging writing (not a surprise from what is basically an academic text, though I have occasionally found academic writing that is good), and I found myself disagreeing strongly with many of their points. Not in a "As a white person, I find your view on Latinx experiences preposterous, Latinx person!" way, but in a "I pretty sure this lovely thing that you're attributing to lovely behavior X is actually a direct consequence of lovely behavior Y and you're not making any arguments to support your position," way. I don't want to do a deep review on the book since I'm not approaching it as an academic, but I wasn't impressed.

X-O posted:

His included some babble about the 7 Trumpets blasting over Megiddo. Pretty sure he is.

I'll be first in line to be vaporized by the thousand foot tall Jesus's eye lasers. (Look it up, it's in the Bible.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The most likely outcome is that things get back to normal in a couple weeks, but a bunch of people died, a bunch of people lost their jobs, a bunch of places went out of business, a bunch of people went bankrupt, etc. And in the end Coronavirus was just another thing that made life a little bit worse

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

What the hell are you mod of?

Star Wars lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Ok he is half wrong.

Roth posted:

Star Wars lol

:crnasickos:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

The most likely outcome is that things get back to normal in a couple weeks, but a bunch of people died, a bunch of people lost their jobs, a bunch of places went out of business, a bunch of people went bankrupt, etc. And in the end Coronavirus was just another thing that made life a little bit worse

I've been trying to work out the timing on when things can go back to normal. The models are showing things keep getting worse until early June when they finally start tapering off. This is not "a couple of weeks" thing, and the economic impact is going to be huge. A bunch of people will die, so that part is correct.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Random Stranger posted:

I've been trying to work out the timing on when things can go back to normal. The models are showing things keep getting worse until early June when they finally start tapering off. This is not "a couple of weeks" thing, and the economic impact is going to be huge. A bunch of people will die, so that part is correct.

If people isolate, which I know is not viable for everyone, but if a majority can, it crunches the long tail down a lot.

I don't think this is going to happen, given the specific type of boomer brain that is going around aggressively shaking hands because I AIN'T AFRAID AH NO ROLLEY COASTER COMMON COLD poo poo, but, y'know. It's possible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

If people isolate, which I know is not viable for everyone, but if a majority can, it crunches the long tail down a lot.

June is kind of the center of the estimates. If nobody does anything right and we've got bodies piling up in hospital parking lots, the peak is still around early May.

I'm not arguing with you, FWIW, it's just important to emphasize how serious this is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think anyone that's still thinking this is a 'couple of weeks' worth of inconvenience is either in denial or just not well enough informed. We need to listen to science in this situation and not gut hunches.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
things wont be back to normal anyways because the labor situation coming out of this is gonna be fuuuuuuuucked

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not arguing with you, FWIW, it's just important to emphasize how serious this is.

Yeah, I figured we were on the same side there. Just pressing how much people isolating as much as able is gonna be key to keeping this from resurging.

site posted:

things wont be back to normal anyways because the labor situation coming out of this is gonna be fuuuuuuuucked

Tell me about it, my job may be ending this week.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Hey How Wonderful (and anyone else really). One of the instructors at the college I work at is putting together an English course and....well I will let him describe it"

and I am wondering if you have any recommendations. We have quite a few books on the subject at the college but I am drawing a blank in relation to any scholarly articles. If you have some recommendations let me know. Cheers

How Wonderful! posted:

BSS' own Big Bad Voodoo Lou has an excellent article about Daredevil written from the perspective of legal theory. Other than that most of what springs to mind is pretty close to just English/lit, at least as far as superhero stuff goes specifically. I've seen a pretty cool sociology thing about Alison Bechdel and the sort of constellation of distribution and collaboration in the 80s queer small press scene but hmm, honestly I'm drawing a blank right now.

This is a really good question though and I'm very curious to see what turns up.

Thank you, How Wonderful!

This is my article, Madkal. It ended up with a few embarrassing typos that weren't in the final draft I submitted, but I'm more proud of it than almost anything else I've ever done in my life. (And I think Charles Soule ended up liking it. I got to meet him last summer and gave him a copy in person.)
"The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics’ Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, Issue 2, 2019.
https://www.capitallawreview.org/ar...-legal-practice

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

X-O posted:

I was a newspaper reporter on 9/11 and literally the first person I interviewed about it in a Starbucks that morning told me it was the start of the End of Days.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Aren’t these just a feature of even medium size cities?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So Random Stranger has been showing us how terrible overall Liefeld's segment of Image was, the question is what are some actually good comics from this era that do some of the things that most of Image was trying and failing so hard at achieving, some have already been brought up like most of early Valiant's output, and Body Bags was overall pretty good(once you got past the baby stabbing that is), but most of the other good comics of the era I can think of were more in reaction to the Image style or indeed often repudiations of it rather than actually imitating it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1240106872008593409

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m paying my local shop with etransfer and he’s gonna hold books for me. I assume at some point shipments stop from Diamond for a while.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

If there's one thing I've learned in my short life, it's that normal doesn't exist.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well my dad picked a great time to get cancer and possibly need chemo :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Oh poo poo, I am so very sorry. Is he working out a treatment plan?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Extreme Studios and Maximum Press released fourteen comics between them in October 1995. There's a lot of "final" issues this time around, too, and I'm curious how many of them are actual stopping points and how many are just Liefeld never publishing another issue of it.

Bloodstrike: Assassin #0 - Wow, this is really it. This is the end of Bloodstrike. Cabbot and his friends will not have a comic of their own for the rest of this reading project. There will be a one shot, or at least only one issue released, about Cabbot just before Maximum Press goes under. And there will be a brief revival that was part of that Image twentieth anniversary thing from 2012. But now let's rub the blood one last time.

While sleeping in his Kansas City hotel room, Cabbot has a woman in a catsuit pull a knife on him. He grabs the knife and of course they start making out even though Cabbot doesn't remember her. One panel later, giant cyborg guys teleport into the room. Cabbot kicks their heads off and he and Yuki (who finally introduced herself) head off for exposition. Cabbot and her were part of Operation Knightstrike, the unfinished miniseries from earlier this year, where the two of them were lovers. Naturally, she was trained as an assassin. When they were on a different mission to Afghanistan than the one from the miniseries, they tried to assassinate the head of the Soviet intelligence. Now that guy is in the US building up a power base to restore Soviet rule in Russia. Yuki seduces Cabbot into helper her hunt him down and afterward Cabbot dreams of the mission. Cabbot decides he needs revenge on the Soviet general for not dying when they went to kill him (seriously, it's that stupid). The two storm the secret lab where they're cloning the general. Cabbot blows up the building and then Yuki and Cabbot go off to gently caress.

This comic is wildly, inaccurate. Putin never hid out in the US and never cloned himself that many times.

It's weird how obsessed this book is with Cabbot and Yuki loving. There's the aborted scene at the beginning, another one where Yuki convinces Cabbot to help, a flashback scene, plus several more times in the captions. It's not sexy or romantic, it just left me going, "Yeah, okay, I got it, they screw like rabbits, let's move on."

The ending is a huge non-resolution to the story. The Soviet general never shows up, just his clones. And it's not like his clones are some kind of special threat, it's just a middle aged guy in a tube. They never even assassinated their target though the dialog tells the reader that everything is solved.

Berzerkers #3 - It's the final issue of Berzerkers as well, though with only two previous comics and a handful of other appearances that doesn't feel as momentous as the end of Bloodstrike.

We left off with Grey being pulled under in a sandworm attack. That's never resolved, instead we just have a page of the Berzerkers effortlessly beating the sandworm. Overnight, Hatchet talks about how ashamed she is for being a former soldier of Darkseid Darkthorn and she's having dreams of killing all of the Berzerkers for him. Tyrus, the warlord of the planet, is still hunting for them and the magic portal that gives ultimate power. He reveals that he's the one who has been sending dreams to Hatchet... his own sister! The Berzerkers find the portal in the most poorly defined space ever: it's either inside or outside, has open paths in or a wooden door, is just a glowing pillar in the middle of the area or has complex machinery around it. Tyrus bursts in and tries to mind control Hatchet, but he's killed by his henchman Not Lobo for no particular reason. Then the Bezerkers effortlessly kill all the bounty hunters that were after them. Dio the friendly alien leading them to the portal was shot, though, and they set a bomb behind them as they leave through the portal.

Oddly enough Jim Valentino turns up again on this book, this time with a split writing credit. I'm beginning to suspect that the Image founders were putting some pressure on Rob Liefeld to get his house under control and Valentino as the responsible businessman of the group took it upon himself to help. Right about now is when the strains Liefeld is causing on the Image group are starting to cause some fractures, so that would make sense.

On one page the green alien says, "It was me --- Dio!!" and I had to snicker. I know in 1995 that even anime nerds in the US wouldn't have that embedded in their brains yet, but that doesn't make it any less silly.

I feel like the entirety of this miniseries could have been done in an issue and half without losing anything or feeling particularly rushed. Issue two had nothing happen and over half of issue one was padding. This was the first time it felt like there was actual plot development occurring but the action is still a mess and none of it really makes sense in the end.

Law and Order #2 - Issue two of this two part series which featured pedophilic overtones and abusive relationships presented as positive.

Order was attacking her rescuer, the woman who came through the portal. That woman just grabs Order's throat and dangles her off a ledge. Then she says she is Law and demands total obedience as they hunt down the previous Law's killer. The head of the secret government organization that captured Order turns out to be Professor X, complete with 90's floating gold hoverchair. The new Law was also a bad person on another planet that Abraxis used their mind powers on to make her feel guilty. The two start attacking the mob to hunt for Law's killer. The mob brings in a hitman named Blitz, a generic guy with big guns and pounches, to stop them. Law and Order beat him off panel and yell at the mobsters, but they think the mob might not have been behind the murder. There's an rear end in a top hat cop, however, who wants to hunt down vigilantes and he has a space gun that Order dropped way back in one of the Extreme Studios preview books. He's also been killing prostitutes with it.

And that's the end of the series. There is a box that tells me to look for Law and Order's further adventures in the upcoming series Asylum. I'm obligated to do so, but I'd hope that no one else would feel it was necessary.

The art in this issue looked half done, with figures placed prominently that looked more like preliminary sketches than finished artwork. It gives me the impression that this one was rushed out the door as they dumped another series immediately after it launched.

The greatest editor's note ever is from this book: "Editor's note -- Every 'guilty' being killed erases the murder of an innocent from their past." This important part of the backstory exists only in a tiny box at the bottom of a page.

Supreme #32 - Supreme is back!

A pod from space has landed in a midwestern wheat field and Supreme has emerged from it. Only, he's Old Supreme so the comparison ends there. Also, Supreme is no longer supreme. He can leap tall buildings in a single bound but can't fly over them. He then flashes back to a follow-up to the annual story where Supreme goes after the guy who build the planet crushing machine and sent the assassin after him. After a chase, the villain leads Supreme into a cave where he appears to be the priest Supreme murdered and torments him. It only pauses Supreme for a moment, though, and he gets burned to ash by heat vision for his trouble.

Old Supreme comes out of the flashback in the back of a hovering truck with the farmer taking him to Capital City, a gleaming set of futuristic towers in the distance. Supreme demands to know what planet he's one and it was earth all along!

Meanwhile in the past(?), Young Supreme is flying around with Kid Supreme and saying he's pretty sure he's not the original Supreme. Suddenly both them turn into women.

Even though it's a sequel to that good Supreme annual, this follow up doesn't have the same spark. There isn't really a comeupance when Supreme is just chasing some rich rear end in a top hat; there's only one way it was ever going to end and you wonder why Supreme didn't just heat vision him to ash the moment he was in range. And now I realize that sounds like every single "Why doesn't Superman just..." argument ever, but burning people he doesn't like to ash with his heat vision is Supreme's MO. Engaging in a chase scene doesn't make sense for him.

drrockso20 posted:

So Random Stranger has been showing us how terrible overall Liefeld's segment of Image was, the question is what are some actually good comics from this era that do some of the things that most of Image was trying and failing so hard at achieving, some have already been brought up like most of early Valiant's output, and Body Bags was overall pretty good(once you got past the baby stabbing that is), but most of the other good comics of the era I can think of were more in reaction to the Image style or indeed often repudiations of it rather than actually imitating it

Allow me to give you a list of a few other books published under the Image imprint in October 1995:

Astro City #3
Bone #20
Groo #11

So Image was putting out good comics. We just don't see them in this corner of the universe. And there were tons of great stuff that was getting published due to the boom though by this point a lot of it has gotten shaken out by the crash that happened mid-1994. At this point in the timeline, Marvel has just bought Capital City distribution, one of the most disastrous business moves in comic book history, and is about to implode under the weight of bad decisions. DC is chugging along without much in the way of outstanding books in their mainline (though Ostrander's Spectre was at its height right now and Waid's Flash isn't as great but still very readable). But this is also the time when Vertigo was making waves; Preacher debuted in 1995, too.

I'll let you in on a secret: I know for a fact that a popular indie book is going to sneak into the Liefeld line-up in a circuitous way about two months down the road. And it's a book I've always meant to get around to reading and never did, so I'm kind of looking forward to seeing this small slice of it.

But you're right that a lot of people in 1994-1995 were still reacting to Image, particularly the Image style of books, and that was pretty toxic. These are books that are best described as adolescent. I'd actually prefer childish, I can have some fun with childish books like silver age DC comics. But these books are leaning on their violence and stylized single drawings while being disdainful of creativity and writing. Other people followed suit trying to capture the same audience but that doesn't work if you don't start with name recognition. And the result was a whole lot of lovely comics. The nineties are a low point in comics history for a reason.

Madkal posted:

Wow, that's about as bad as it can get. I hope that there's an oncologist available for him that isn't in a hospital. I know that limiting exposure is going to be next to impossible, but even that small of change may help.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 18, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The reason I didn't bring up stuff like Astro City or Bone was because I was specifically talking about the Edgy Superhero/anti-hero stuff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm sorry I don't know what caused me to do this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/TessFowler/status/1240335787209543681

:(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus gently caress, of all the times to get bad medical news.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
This seems like the worst possible idea anyone has ever had

https://twitter.com/LilithLovett/status/1240080036306141184?s=20

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

i missed this earlier and felt really bad about posting about someone else maybe going through the same thing but not saying anything here, i hope things go as well as they can

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Madkal posted:

I'm so sorry Madkal. Having a loved one undergo chemo is already extremely stressful, but doing so under these circumstances must be exponentially harder.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks. He is meeting the oncologist next week. They removed a few lymph nodes and only one came back cancerous so we are hopeful in that regard. Him and my mom are taking it in stride though and are just going about enjoying their days with walks. It kind of sucks though because of their age and health status my brothers and I are self quarantine ourselves from them ATM.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Thanks. He is meeting the oncologist next week. They removed a few lymph nodes and only one came back cancerous so we are hopeful in that regard. Him and my mom are taking it in stride though and are just going about enjoying their days with walks. It kind of sucks though because of their age and health status my brothers and I are self quarantine ourselves from them ATM.

Please let your dad know all these internet geeks are 100% behind him. And if you need to talk about this stuff, you can always PM me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"An Open Letter to Comic Book Publishers from Eric Stephenson, Chief Creative Officer & Publisher at Image Comics"

e: also,
https://twitter.com/TorontoComics/status/1240448286680584194

site fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 19, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 1995's Extreme Studios books roll on. There's a real surprise for me in this round of comics, too.

Glory #7 - Last month's Glory was an improvement. Will the trend continue or are we going to sink back into the mire? This issue features Super Patriot, Erik Larsen's Captain America analogue who was on the same hero team as Glory during World War II.

Glory is reminiscing about the Super Patriot as she writhes on her couch and her nerdy sidekick is definitely carrying her printer. They're looking on this new fangled "internet" (it'll never catch on) for information about government projects to raise the dead. Since Super Patriot got revived as a cyborg, she figures the government might have had something to do with it. Her sidekick finds data on the project that created Bloodstrike and keeps hacking. Glory, meanwhile, goes off to visit a guy she liberated from a concentration camp and call the Super Patriot over. The government catches onto the hacking and sends a killer robot out which Glory and Super Patriot beat.

This comic was all about how totally awesome Super Patriot is and how I should totally love how awesome he is. And I couldn't care less. If anyone involved had a dollop of self-awareness, there could have been something interesting in the idea of reviving an "old" character as an extreme grim and gritty version for the 90's. But all of the appearances of the character I've read are about how he's a badass cyborg warrior with big guns, not that dorky guy punching Nazis.

I was really hoping that Glory's sidekicks weren't hanging around her with unrequited crushes, doing favors for her in the hopes that she would someday notice them. But I don't think there's been a relationship in these books that I wouldn't describe as "toxic" so it's definitely on brand.

Glory/Avengelyne #1 - After last month's Avengelyne/Glory was such a lovely book, I have zero hope for anything interesting out of this one. It's got itself another chromium cover, though.

Holy poo poo, Rob Liefeld penciled something. The previous book Liefeld drew was the first issue of the Badrock ongoing series eight months ago (still waiting on issue two for that one). There's something extra here, too: this is the last complete comic book that Rob Liefeld will pencil at Image and that last full comic that he'll pencil during this reading project (yes, that does mean . He'll do some pages in a couple more books, but it's over. He won't even turn up in Maximum Press.

A thousand years ago on Paradise Island Amazonia, Queen Faith is announcing her upcoming slaughter of all men while wearing her formal gold bikini. The other amazons react in the traditional way: jumping up and down or pressing their chests together while wearing their own formal bikinis. (I know I said I wasn't going to comment on this stuff in the Skinemax-esque books but this was so goofy.) Their sapphic celebration is cut short by the arrival of Avengelyne and a host of angels who bring the word of God to the heathens. Glory doesn't care for this and attacks. Avengelyne is too good, though, and just shoots a beam from her sword that sends Queen Faith to purgatory.

Then Glory wakes up from her dream. While feeling morose about it, Queen Faith appears before her. Faith went and got the artifact from Avengelyne/Glory and is going to use it to kill the former angel. Glory is feeling so bad about her dreams that she agrees to help. Faith is being manipulated by Belial, the villain of Avengelyne's series, as he wants to get the power of the artifact himself.

Avengelyne is hanging out in front of a gothic cathedral so Glory attacks her. The fight is over in a moment but Glory won't kill her, so Faith takes Avengelyne to Belial. Seeing the demon, Glory goes, "Am I the baddie?" and changes side. She grabs the artifact, banishes the queen, and then just teleports away. To thank Glory for her help, Avengelyne grabs her and kisses her.

So, when I wrote that line about "sapphic celebration" I wasn't expecting it to actually happen at the end of the comic. I don't want to give Liefeld too much credit since I strongly suspect that it came about because "Lesbians are hot!" rather than trying to be progressive. In 1995 this wasn't especially daring, either. At that point there had been some kisses between women in mainstream pop culture in recent years that had gained enormous attention, so this could just as easily been a cynical plea for attention after Roseanne made the national news for the same thing. Still, given how little homosexual representation there was in comics in the 1990's, even half-hearted and poorly intended representation was an improvement.

As is fitting for his swan song, the Liefeld artwork is especially bad this time around. There's lots of people being drawn from a different perspective than the background, contorted women, and this:

A double-page sideways spread of Avengelyne in a white void where her legs make up over two-thirds of her body.

Crypt #2 - It's the final issue of this miniseries about a character who was part of a crossover a year ago and I'm not really sure why anyone would care about him. Undead, demonic Prophet who has an axe isn't an especially interesting concept.

So it turns out that Crypt knew the whole time that old Prophet who appeared at the end of the previous issue was in the present and after him. Presumably as an even more future Prophet, Crypt remembers doing this. Future Prophet, going by the name Absolution, has a weapon that can destroy Crypt forever once the body is destroyed. Absolution teleports to Crypt's castle and finds Crypt and Judas, the young girl he saved in the future wars who was captured by Darkthorn. Crypt teleports them all back to the future for the fight, beats Absolution, and then demand Judas kill him. Being in the future brought back all of Judas's good memories of Prophet, though, so she does the obvious thing from her name and stabs Crypt. Absolution gives her the device to destroy Crypt, but the body has vanished. Crypt has possessed Absolution and then kills Judas for being a judas. The end.

So Prophet becomes Absolution who becomes Crypt. Okay, got it. Then Crypt goes back in time and is killed by Prophet. A loop but it's understandable. Then Crypt gets revived and somehow gets a castle. I'm wondering if he had to go through a real estate agent but whatever. Then Absolution goes back in time to get Crypt. That still makes sense. Then Crypt wants to kill Absolution somehow not realizing that would erase himself from existence. Then Crypt possesses Absolution making Absolution Crypt and now I'm wondering where Crypt came from. I think most complaints about time travel plots result from not paying attention to the paths the characters take. I guess that holds true in this case, though it was the writer who wasn't paying attention this time.

I still don't give a drat about Crypt as a character. This doesn't even establish him as an especially dangerous threat, he's just another rear end in a top hat with a weapon.

Grifter/Badrock #1 - I read the first WildC.A.T.s series and I could tell you nothing about it. I know Grifter is yet another mysterious badass who has guns that seem to comprise 30% of the US population in the Image-verse. Still, I don't know what kind of grift he runs. Is he a pool shark? Does he do three card monte? Or is his grift that Jim Lee chose a name that sounded cool without thinking about what it meant?

And Liefeld did something for this comic, too. You know what they say, no Liefeld comics for ten months and then suddenly two at once. Okay, this one is only layouts as Extreme Studios regular Chip Yaep did the pencils but it's still more work than Liefeld has done in months.

In the aftermath of their team-up in Badrock and Company #6, Badrock wants to permanently partner up with Grifter. Grifter, on the other hand, wants to sit in a dive bar where they don't bother cleaning up the blood or broken glass all over the floor. Badrock is dejected when Grifter finally tells him to gently caress off and then they're attacked by guys in robot suits. That fight's over pretty quickly but Badrock's mom/Grifter's former lover has been kidnapped again. By the exact same guys, too. And this time rather than trying to blackmail Badrock's father, they just want Badrock and Grifter to show up and die. They show up at the end of the issue, so we'll see if they die in the next.

This is actually a better comic than I was expecting mainly on Badrock being an annoying doofus and Grifter being a grumpy rear end in a top hat and the two of them doing that to each other for the first half of the comic. Once the robots guys show up, it's boring again since the characters can't be threatened at all.

Badrock's mom is definitely going to have an affair with Grifter when he rescues her. As she was kidnapped all she was thinking about was how hunky Grifter was...

NewMen #19 - Only one more issue of NewMen to go after this. I just want it to die already.

The cover tells me "It starts here! EXTREME DESTROYER!" They're definitely running low on crossover names. Extreme Destroyer doesn't even start until NewMen is done, it's still months away.

The armadillo man the NewMen fought a long time back is still wandering in the woods and is captured by a guy that looks like a living tongue and another guy in power armor. Meanwhile at the Seattle police department, the NewMen are explaining their fight to a cop that finds superpowered teenagers unbelievable despite Youngblood being the most popular celebrities in the world. The detective investigating the long running murder subplot bursts in. He isn't there to arrest Rapist despite being the person who was investigating the murder he committed at a bar. Instead, the NewMen head off to help investigate the other killings. As they're checking out the scene of the Ikonn fight, the villain of their first issue shows up with a pack of unidentified superfolks and they start a fight. At the NewMen's cabin, Byrd and Proctor are having breakfast and a alien in generic power armor kicks in the door. Byrd fights him until Proctor grabs a gun and kills the alien. Dash arrives from the other fight to get them, but takes a moment to kiss Byrd. And when she opens her eyes afterward, she's horrified.

I'm impressed that they've forgotten their own plotlines here. The police were investigating the murder Rapist committed, then the witnesses started turning up dead so that really pointed at Rapist, then they were after some pods that I'm not sure how they got into things, and now they're off on this tangent. It's like every two months they came back and went, "What was this subplot about again? Eh, I'll just wing it."

It was a very plot heavy issue this time without a whole lot to say about it. They're probably trying to wrap up the comic before next issue.

Speaking as someone who has read a lot of Eric Stephenson's writing over the past three months, that is the best thing he's ever written.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

As is fitting for his swan song, the Liefeld artwork is especially bad this time around. There's lots of people being drawn from a different perspective than the background, contorted women, and this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_proportions#Basics_of_human_proportions

quote:

An average person is generally 7-and-a-half heads tall (including the head).
An ideal figure, used when aiming for an impression of nobility or grace, is drawn at 8 heads tall.
A heroic figure, used in the heroic for the depiction of gods and superheroes, is eight-and-a-half heads tall. Most of the additional length comes from a bigger chest and longer legs.

She's like 11 heads tall.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I saved almost all of the Youngblood comics for this final post of October 1995. I'm looking at this list and thinking, "Did Youngblood really need six books this month?"

Also, god help me, as I move toward an ending of this project (I still have several weeks left of posting), I'm looking at getting a piece of original Rob Liefeld art to commemorate this insanity...

Bloodpool #3 - Three issues in and I don't get what this comic is supposed to be about except a bunch of people making up a generic superhero team. It's like Brigade in that regard where there's a team that exists just because they have to have a team.

After a false opening of a mummy movie, a group of evil guys plot to steal an artifact. The Bloodpool are training and Seoul stomps on a beetle because she hates bugs. There's a job, though, and the team is off to Pharistan which I am told is "better than Egypt" and was broken off during the nineteenth century which let them avoid western exploitation of their culture. The team is introduced to a museum curator who tells them that the villains are after an artifact and have paid off the military. That's when the military breaks in and Bloodpool takes them out effortlessly. On the museum floor, the bad guys have taken a golden scarab and art starting a ceremony to give them ultimate power. Bloodpool comes in to interrupt the ceremony and effortlessly beat the bad guys. The head bad guy wants to complete the ceremony but Seoul smashes the golden scarab and national treasure just because she hates bugs.

I think this comic was supposed to be funny but I can't be certain because it's painfully unfunny. There's the fake opening, a line about political correctness which doesn't even make sense (the underling calls the boss "master" and that's somehow not politically correct), the ending which is just out of left field. It's not as unfunny as Bloodwulf but it's pretty bad.

I still don't know who these characters are. Three issues in and I don't know who anyone is or why they do anything. I can't even tell who they are in half the pages because the art is just a mess. At least this one is over next issue.

Vogue #1 - Speaking of characters who I still don't know who they are, Vogue gets her own miniseries here. She's been around since Youngblood #1 and has yet to do anything. I think she's a Russian gymnast, but I might be misremembering something from the back of a trading card rather than something in the comics. The real question is how Liefeld published a magazine with the exact same name as the most popular fashion magazine in the world.

Russia is busy dismantling some nukes when they're attacked by Redblood, a group of communist supervillains led by General Stroika who want to revive the Soviet Union. Vogue is wandering the halls of her cosmetics company which she models for and is attacked by someone who says they know who killed her father. Vogue steals a $2 billion Youngblood transport to fly back to Russian for her revenge. As soon as she lands, she's arrested by the Russian government so Vogue effortlessly kills the twenty soldiers there by kicking them in the face. Vogue goes to her impoverished mother's apartment which really makes Vogue seem like an enormous rear end in a top hat to not arrange something for her when she owns a successful company. Her brother has been missing for six weeks and seriously Vogue, pick up the phone and call your mother sometime. She then breaks into the Kremlin between pages where she finds out that Stroika's lab is underneath reactor four. Yes, that reactor four. Vogue takes the secret tunnel into the sarcophagus where she's attacked by robots which are effortlessly beaten and then is instantly knocked out and captured by Redblood.

So for those who don't know, "Stroika" isn't just a generic Soviet term. It means "openness" and was part of Gorbachev's reform policies. So this is like naming the your villain who's a former confederate general trying to make the south rise again General Emancipation. It's really stupid.

The description of Vogue when she's introduced has to be called out:

quote:

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

Everyone in this book has to comment on how hot Vogue is, too. It gets pretty creepy.

Also, Vogue was a Soviet gymnast who was expected to take the gold medal in the '84 Olympics. The minor problem that the Soviets boycotted the '84 Olympics doesn't seem to have occurred to them.

Chapel #3 - I noticed right off the bat that this issue has three different pencilers. And my first thought is, "Good. Maybe some of the pages will be readable."

Chapel has burst in on cybernetic supervillain Giger and Giger tells Chapel that he's moments away from replacing humanity. Giger is going to release a virus that will kill everyone except his own people. The daughter Chapel was after was a set up; his old friend cut a deal to keep her alive in exchange for killing Chapel. Of course, without the plot to lure in Chapel, Chapel would just died along with everyone else of COVID-95 so that was a really stupid plan. Chapel escapes and starts taking out guard, but Giger has converted the daughter to his "cyberqueen" called Slyce (yes, she has a lot of knives as well as pouches that presumably hold more knives). Chapel pulls some wires out of Slyce to stop her, then gets into a firefight with Giger as the clock ticks down to the virus release. Giger is defeated with moments to spare but the cyberbadguy sends his consciousness out into the network. The book ends with what might be the single worst panel yet where the kid from last issue says, "Don't feel bad because you couldn't save my folks," and Slyce wakes up mentioning that she feels different. So leaving off with two people about to undergoing incredible trauma over the events that just unfolded.

Well, some of the pencilers were more readable than others, but Calvin Irving's pages continue to be indecipherable messes. I didn't realize Slyce had a half metal face for several pages because the artwork was so muddy.

Riptide #2 - The first issue set up a mystery that wasn't a mystery because they never explained what the mystery was to us. Will the final issue resolve that non-mystery?

Riptide dreams of swimming into an undersea cavern where a green woman who is holding her other diving friends captive says that Riptide has to chose a life. Then Riptide wakes up in what seems to be her bedroom, but moments later Battlestone comes in flanked by the police to say that he just paid her bail. The room Riptide was in had lots of furniture including a make-up table, a television cart, a stereo, paintings on the walls. Basically nothing that it would indicate its a jail cell and everything to indicate it definitely was not one.

Battlestone takes her off but Riptide doesn't trust where they're going so she escapes. The reporter who has information lets Graves/Lucifer know that he's going to tell everyone Riptide is innocent and Graves/Lucifer wants him dead. Except as he's ordering people to do this, that's when Riptide appears in his office (she didn't enter it, she's just suddenly in the middle of the room). Riptide just yells at him for a moment and then storms out so I don't know what that was supposed to do. Riptide goes back to her house where they're arresting the reporter for some reason. A Youngblood file was leaked that says Riptide did nothing wrong and nothing is resolved. The end.

This was a real wet fart of a miniseries. Nothing happened, nothing was revealed, it was even contradictory in the incomplete flashback dreams to Riptide's origin. The villain's plan was "I'm going to dick over Riptide," and was resolved with "Maybe not." I wasn't expecting much going in but this was somehow below those expectations. At least this issue didn't have people talking about how Riptide posed nude.

Youngblood #2 - Did you know that the Pentagon is located in a mountainous wilderness? Definitely not in the middle of an urban area that used to be swampland on the bank of the Potomac river. It's a common mistake to think that, but the first panel of this comic is pretty clear about it's actual location.

Battlestone is preparing to shake up the Youngblood lineup and has gathered everyone and has them wait around while he goes over names. Battlestone is looking for people who will follow him and the program rather than be independent. The new team is lead by Die Hard and also has Vogue, Badrock, Knightsabre, Shaft, and Riptide. Shaft and his girlfriend, who last appeared in the first Youngblood #1 in April of 1992, fight over him staying with the team despite being demoted from team leader. Die Hard heads into the sewers of DC looking for kidnappers and finding a pile of bodies instead. Outside the sewers, the rest of Youngblood gathers and are attacked by Adam and Eve, a couple who control plants and are only wearing strategically placed leaves, as well as dirt-man Soil. The team doesn't do well with them and the villains get away but leave a scientist they were kidnapping behind. The scientist just says that they were after something. Battlestone's boss isn't happy with the results and is adding one more team member of their own choice. In the Himalayan mountains, a demon woman makes vague threats to nobody.

The reveal the new team line up twice in the comic. On the very first page they go over it, then two-thirds of the way through the book they do a dramatic reveal. And the big character who everyone hesitated on in the scene for extra effect was a character we saw them decide to include in an earlier scene.

I have no clue what the Adam, Even, and Soil plot is all about. There's a kidnapping but they're searching the sewers then there's dead bodies in the sewers and then the team is just attacked out of the blue for no good reason. It doesn't help that the story is told intercut with the team selection process and half the time there's nothing for the character to do when it goes back to them so there's just a page of them standing around doing nothing. If they had been intercutting action with the team selection it would have been more interesting.

That's it for October. Now I have to decide if I want to do what might be the most poorly conceived crossover in comics history first or if I want to talk about the comics that weren't part of the crossover next time...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

If anybody is looking to switch up their av text game I will give this to the first person who asks for it for free. Please, make my day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

If anybody is looking to switch up their av text game I will give this to the first person who asks for it for free. Please, make my day.

Let's do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Let's do this

:patriot: