Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah with a few shining exceptions, post-resurrection Futurama is really not that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My cable company lied to me. Season 4 is the episode I was talking about, only the latter half though. I just watched "The Sting" and "The Farnsworth Parabox", both of which were fine episodes, but the Fry/Leela-ness of them turned me off.

I can't defend Season 6 at all, though I thought the Season 5 movies were just fine (though I don't remember them at all). "This Trinity's Going to War" was a catchy song.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

YeahTubaMike posted:

My cable company lied to me. Season 4 is the episode I was talking about, only the latter half though. I just watched "The Sting" and "The Farnsworth Parabox", both of which were fine episodes, but the Fry/Leela-ness of them turned me off.

I can't defend Season 6 at all, though I thought the Season 5 movies were just fine (though I don't remember them at all). "This Trinity's Going to War" was a catchy song.

"The Farnsworth Paradox" is the best episode, you monster

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like a lot of shows it really starts to get annoying when the writers get caught up in their favourite will-they-or-won't-they pairing.

Thing is that it kinda works at least because Leela isn't exactly opposed to hooking up with Fry and likes him, but it is established she sets very high standards for herself, especially for her dates, and Fry obviously isn't the best prospect given he's a developmentally disabled guy who is entirely content in a dead-end job and living in a robot's closet.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The first movie is the end of futurama if you are the kind of person that wants things tied up in a neat little package, devil's hands is the end if you like to leave things open. That loses a couple great episodes like the time machine one, but it's a fair trade to ignore multiple seasons worth of subpar episodes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The series finale was pretty good too. There are a few good ones in the later seasons, but they're few and far between.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I really love "Law and Oracle," but I'd argue it's not a good episode

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Empty Sandwich posted:

"The Farnsworth Paradox" is the best episode, you monster

I thought it was hilarious, it was just tainted by Fry & Leela being married in the parallel universe.

PostNouveau posted:

The series finale was pretty good too. There are a few good ones in the later seasons, but they're few and far between.

Are you talking about the one where Fry learns to play the holophoner or whatever the post-resurrection series finale was? I liked the idea of a holophoner more than the episode itself, my heart was not warmed by the Fry/Leela garbage, but I do generally love everything about the Robot Devil.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought it was hilarious, it was just tainted by Fry & Leela being married in the parallel universe.

Are you talking about the one where Fry learns to play the holophoner or whatever the post-resurrection series finale was? I liked the idea of a holophoner more than the episode itself, my heart was not warmed by the Fry/Leela garbage, but I do generally love everything about the Robot Devil.

I'm starting to get the feeling you just really don't like Fry and Leela as a couple.

The bit in The Farnsworth Parabox doesn't even come up outside of like five lines in one scene.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yikes, the last time I mentioned hating Fry & Leela as a couple was less than a year ago. I need other hobbies. :negative:

Anyway, I like "The Farnsworth Parabox", I just had myself a little eye roll at Fry/Leela, that's all -- same with "The Sting". The arguments over which universe was evil were great, Hermes considering ejecting the entire crew into the sun was great, the episode was great. The sequence where everyone is getting stung by bees & popping like balloons was great, the layers of consciousness were great, the episode was great. Maybe "fine" in my previous post was underselling them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like most sitcom couples, Fry and Leela is mostly made obnoxious about how they get way too much focus without actually making any progress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also there's a spin that I'm not terribly happy with, where she acts superior and dismissive of Fry the whole time she thinks she's a kickin rad cyclopean alien, but then once she finds out she's a human mutant from the sewers she apparently lowers her standards / self-esteem to the point where she'll consider Fry as a suitor.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

The post-resurrection one. The actual last episode if you go watch it on Hulu or whatever. It's dragged down a bit by Fry being way too dumb and overexplaining the sci-fi gimmick.

I don't know if I like where they end up or not. It implies a time loop they'll never escape or even know is happening

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

Also there's a spin that I'm not terribly happy with, where she acts superior and dismissive of Fry the whole time she thinks she's a kickin rad cyclopean alien, but then once she finds out she's a human mutant from the sewers she apparently lowers her standards / self-esteem to the point where she'll consider Fry as a suitor.

Alien-era Leela had pity sex with Zapp Brannigan though, it's not like her standards were through the roof to begin with.

edit: also alien-era Leela's self esteem sucked because she thought she was the only one-eyed alien in the universe and she was teased about it while growing up and everything. I don't recall any era in which Leela thought she was superior to Fry, even though she always was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

Alien-era Leela had pity sex with Zapp Brannigan though, it's not like her standards were through the roof to begin with.

edit: also alien-era Leela's self esteem sucked because she thought she was the only one-eyed alien in the universe and she was teased about it while growing up and everything. I don't recall any era in which Leela thought she was superior to Fry, even though she always was.

It's more she thought Fry was a sweet guy but not good enough for her, and her upbringing was basically defined by insecurity over her totally unknown origins and having no family who care about her. Does seem like she subtly chills out and gets more comfortable with herself after meeting her parents, though she definitely shows some issues in trying to do-over her childhood that one time they get de-aged. (Which I think a lot of people can sadly relate to, mind) That and I think initially Leela has the career woman problem where she's basically the senior employee at her job and doesn't want to date down, but pretty much all the men who do fit her standards are entirely willing to.

Zapp does technically fill her original standards as a wealthy, famous, high-status man, just he's a pathetic jerk and possibly a semi-functioning sociopath.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
On Hulu the Futurama seasons are listed weirdly. What it calls "Season 5" is actually the second half of what was season 4, for example.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

On Hulu the Futurama seasons are listed weirdly. What it calls "Season 5" is actually the second half of what was season 4, for example.

I think hulu uses the production schedule for their listings rather than the air dates. Pretty sure futurama had some weird fuckery in the way the show aired that resulted in one season becoming 2 or something like that

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

zimbomonkey posted:

I think hulu uses the production schedule for their listings rather than the air dates. Pretty sure futurama had some weird fuckery in the way the show aired that resulted in one season becoming 2 or something like that
I want to say it got cancelled and then un-cancelled before finally biting it for good, but that might have been Family Guy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The original DVD's have weird numbering/seasons too. They call them "volumes" iirc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently Futurama aired completely out of order production wise for seasons 3-4 and some stuff got delayed so long that they ended up in another broadcast season even though they weren't actually a "new" season. So going by production the movies are the 5th season but sometimes you'll see stuff that aired on Fox listed as season 5.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently Futurama aired completely out of order production wise for seasons 3-4
I mean when you're only playing the back half of every episode what did it matter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tenebrais posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling you just really don't like Fry and Leela as a couple.

The bit in The Farnsworth Parabox doesn't even come up outside of like five lines in one scene.

By a guy named scrunchie

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/dvsblast/status/1238940949608312839

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Eerily accurate Julie Kavner impression.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Eerily accurate Julie Kavner impression.

I thought it was her for literally a second or two because of how awful and close to death it sounds

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Last Chance posted:

I thought it was her for literally a second or two because of how awful and close to death it sounds

:same:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Grandpa gives Bart a fake grenade. He brings it to a school assembly and freaks everyone out by pretending to pull the pin. Ned, who is at a school assembly for some reason, jumps on the grenade while everyone else freaks out.

They're gonna expel Bart, but Ned offers to mentor him to get him on the straight-and-narrow. It works.

Homer gets jealous so he takes a walk and runs into Nelson at the dump, who he thinks is such a loving mess that he can even help him.

Lisa goes to Moe's to find Homer and gives him $40 to get therapy to figure out why he's doing this.

A joke in this one that I think really typifies the problem with nuSimpsons: Lisa tells Homer she likes being the voice of morality. From offscreen, Duffman enters to say "I like to believe this role has not typecast me. I can still play Shakespeare," and then he starts quoting Shakespeare lines with Duff jokes inserted into them. Is Duffman playing Shakespeare a bad joke? Not really, classic Simpsons made a running gag out of a similar joke with Sideshow Mel. Does it make any sense at all in this moment that Duffman is in Moe's bar? Absolutely not. NuSimpsons has every single character waiting just offscreen to jump into a scene if there's an easy joke to make.

The therapist tells Homer he's acting appallingly. Homer feels guilty and tells Nelson the truth.

Nelson goes to the Christian Pride Parade that Ned and Bart are at to get even. He triggers the pair of big fake praying hands in the middle of the street to crush Bart but Homer pushes him out of the way. Homer connects Ned and Nelson, making the ripoff of the Big Brothers episode complete.

This episode was dedicated to Max Von Sydow, who apparently appeared in a Season 25 episode. :siren: There were no celebrity cameos in this episode.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 16, 2020

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

Ned, who is at a school assembly for some reason

He became a teacher a few seasons back.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

He became a teacher a few seasons back.

I thought that was temporary but I guess not.

This episode ended with Ned kinda taking in Nelson and his mother and Nelson telling the other bullies he's changed, so we'll see if that sticks.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

The therapist tells Homer he's acting appallingly. Homer feels guilty and tells Nelson the truth.

lol at the jab at therapy, having the therapist berate Homer rather than trying to help him

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

lol at the jab at therapy, having the therapist berate Homer rather than trying to help him

Homer tells her "Aren't you supposed to validate everything I do?" and she says "Only the rich people get that!"

The Bible
May 8, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Homer tells her "Aren't you supposed to validate everything I do?" and she says "Only the rich people get that!"

That's actually kind of funny. You sure this was The Simpsons?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Bible posted:

That's actually kind of funny. You sure this was The Simpsons?

Yeah it was the only chuckle I had the whole episode.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more she thought Fry was a sweet guy but not good enough for her, and her upbringing was basically defined by insecurity over her totally unknown origins and having no family who care about her.

She was right, imho.

quote:

Does seem like she subtly chills out and gets more comfortable with herself after meeting her parents, though she definitely shows some issues in trying to do-over her childhood that one time they get de-aged. (Which I think a lot of people can sadly relate to, mind)

Which episode was that? I don't remember that plotline.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Which episode was that? I don't remember that plotline.

Teenage Mutant Leela's Hurdles

They go to a spa and all fall in some mud that turns them into teenagers I think? Leela is happy to spend some time with her parents as a teen, but the rest of the cast tries to fix the issue, but it fails and they become even younger. Leela babysits them. The professor has a dumb gargoyle that saves them all at the end when they get stuck in the fountain of aging.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Fun fact, the gargoyle Pazuzu is named after the ancient Babylonian Demon-God of the underworld.

Pazuzu also brought plagues and storms, so Pazuzu was worshipped just in an attempt to keep him from wrecking your poo poo.

And is also frequently portrayed with a massive erect dong, because ancient religion.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Maggie got posessed by him in one of the Treehouses

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
edit: never mind, I'm dumb

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I got a laugh at the sign on the dump in the new episode so that's something. "50,000 seagulls can't be wrong!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Daikloktos posted:

Yeah, Maggie got posessed by him in one of the Treehouses

It was also the name of the demon in the Exorcist movies.