Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

OhFunny posted:

Just a note on these stickers. It's important to also check the date of manufacturer.

I got a B450 mobo that had Ryzen-2000 compatible sticker, but worked with my 3600 without updating the BIOS first because the board was manufactured a month or so after the necessary BIOS update was released.

Which board and where did you buy it from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

B-Mac posted:

Zen2 came out last summer, the odds that any Mobo has been sitting unsold for that long are tiny.

VvvvvE: it's not just that, they're still just good boards. The non-Max tomahawk was a common recommendation beforehand. Though the Max branding does help reassure buyers, yes.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 16, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I built a computer with a friend last November and the Asus Strix B450 had a "Ryzen 2000-ready" sticker, but it came with a BIOS from August (IIRC) that already had post-launch optimizations for Ryzen 3000.

It's kinda funny MSI had to release MAX boards because they hosed up, but now they're the default recommendation for Ryzen 3000 builds because they're guaranteed to have a BIOS that supports them over all the other B450/X470 options (which have a minimal remaining chance of not being updated). Granted, nothing would have stopped other manufacturers from re-releasing their boards with new BIOS updates (they did this up to three times for Intel's HEDT stuff lately :v:) but maybe they would rather sell some more X570 instead.

eames
May 9, 2009

AMD launched new 9-series mobile chips. I remember seeing these briefly on Asus notebook slides during the Renoir launch and wondered if those were typos, but here they are. Higher clockspeeds, better GPU, same nominal TDP.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15623/amd-ryzen-9-4900h-4900hs

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

New Xbox specs are out, and videos are dropping. There's seemingly not much to say about the Zen2 cores, but there are interesting architectural details about the memory and GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
did they use the right RAM this time

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

B-Mac posted:

I got the MSI b450 Tomahawk non-MAX from Best Buy. I had a lot of gift cards and I remembered that goons had recommended MSI.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mdxi posted:

New Xbox specs are out, and videos are dropping. There's seemingly not much to say about the Zen2 cores, but there are interesting architectural details about the memory and GPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE

quoting myself from the PC building thread

Klyith posted:

So for anyone who has been debating the 3600 vs 3700 for upcoming games or worrying that 6 cores won't be enough, you can worry no more.

Microsoft has revealed more of the hardware specs of the series X, and the CPU has some interesting differences from desktop Ryzens. There's no boost clock, and the CPU has only two settings: 3.6 GHz all-core, or 3.8 GHz all-core with SMT disabled (ie 8 core / 8 thread). Microsoft says they expect most games to opt for that second setting for more clock speed. Additionally the system reserves one full core (so 2 threads when in SMT mode) for the OS same as the bone did.

So a 3600
a) has plenty of threads for upcoming console ports, and
b) will out-perform the console CPU on most games, because boost clock on one or two cores will be more important for performance in games for a while yet.

and yes, they used the right ram

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

orcane posted:

It's kinda funny MSI had to release MAX boards because they hosed up, but now they're the default recommendation for Ryzen 3000 builds because they're guaranteed to have a BIOS that supports them over all the other B450/X470 options (which have a minimal remaining chance of not being updated).

Incorrect. MSI’s boards all have BIOS Flashback, making them good for 3000 whether MAX or not. The main advantage of MAX is that it runs a wider variety of CPUs; they removed the instruction sets for old Bulldozer CPUs that ran AM4. Buying Max is purely a “who knows what we’ll have to remove next time so better safe than sorry” thing.

Even then, again, if you needed to go back to Bulldozer for some reason you could use Flashback to put an older compatible BIOS on there.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But not all MSI boards have BIOS flashback :confused:

Also I assure you the people buying boards for Ryzen 3000 who also care about having the ability to run Bulldozer (or in a hypothetical future: Summit Ridge CPUs) are a tiny niche of the already niche of DIY PC enthusiasts. The boards' main advantage is being guaranteed to run the new CPUs without a fuss, while being fairly well equipped (I'm thinking people wouldn't recommend Biostar boards even if they had a line of "guaranteed to work with Ryzen 3000" boards :v:).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Craptacular! posted:

Incorrect. MSI’s boards all have BIOS Flashback, making them good for 3000 whether MAX or not. The main advantage of MAX is that it runs a wider variety of CPUs; they removed the instruction sets for old Bulldozer CPUs that ran AM4. Buying Max is purely a “who knows what we’ll have to remove next time so better safe than sorry” thing.

The non-Max versions of the boards which got Max releases have to use the non-GUI version of their BIOS to use 3000 series Ryzens, because they used 16MB cmos chips that couldn't fit the CPU support *and* a bad gui with racecar pictures. It's not a huge deal, but the Lite BIOS does lose the graphical fan curve settings so controlling fan speeds is more annoying.

That's what arcane meant by "they hosed up".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I have a Gigabyte board that fits Ryzen 2000 and 3000 support (not sure about 1000, didn't check) into a 16 MB chip with no options downgrade so it's really MSI's bloated BIOS that made the MAX sort of mandatory (or at least convenient) to them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

orcane posted:

Also I assure you the people buying boards for Ryzen 3000 who also care about having the ability to run Bulldozer (or in a hypothetical future: Summit Ridge CPUs) are a tiny niche of the already niche of DIY PC enthusiasts. The boards' main advantage is being guaranteed to run the new CPUs without a fuss, while being fairly well equipped (I'm thinking people wouldn't recommend Biostar boards even if they had a line of "guaranteed to work with Ryzen 3000" boards :v:).

The thing is that the non-Max boards run all Ryzen CPUs just fine on the latest BIOS. However, without Bulldozer they are not feature-complete and as stupid as much as nobody wants to run those CPUs, someone could I suppose call it mis-marketing to sell an AM4 B450/X470 board that doesn't support all the processor SKUs the competition do. So the MAX boards replaced the older ones in the retail channel.

The point was that if you have one of these MSI boards with flashback (e.g. not an office/non-gaming board), you're fine.

Klyith posted:

The non-Max versions of the boards which got Max releases have to use the non-GUI version of their BIOS to use 3000 series Ryzens, because they used 16MB cmos chips that couldn't fit the CPU support *and* a bad gui with racecar pictures.

Yes, I have the "stripped down" BIOS and I like a lot more than what I had when I started.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but as I've been eyeing an upgrade to a Ryzen, here goes anyway.

I was wondering how are you guys controlling your fan speeds these days? I am a bit specific with having a quiet box for audio work, so currently control my CPU and chassis fans with SpeedFan with my own speed/temp profile graph to make sure they don't chug until temperatures are well above normal. Is SpeedFan still a good solution nowadays or is there some better software to look for?

If it helps I'm going to be getting the ASRock X570M - the mATX version. I think these mobos come with A-Tuner or whatever, has anyone had any experiences?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Picked up a ryzen 5 3600, 360mm corsair AIO, 5700xt, 16gb of Crucial 2666, asrock x570 pro4, 650w seasonic, house brand 500gb nvme for ~1250 yesterday. I've had a lian-li o11 sitting around for months and of course it won't fit in my entertainment shelf like I hoped so it'll probably turn into a hackintosh for work and I'll move the i7/1080ti into the living room at least for the first few days of Alyx...

Microcenter was absolutely slammed. Be safe, kids.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

give me thread posted:

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but as I've been eyeing an upgrade to a Ryzen, here goes anyway.

I was wondering how are you guys controlling your fan speeds these days? I am a bit specific with having a quiet box for audio work, so currently control my CPU and chassis fans with SpeedFan with my own speed/temp profile graph to make sure they don't chug until temperatures are well above normal. Is SpeedFan still a good solution nowadays or is there some better software to look for?

If it helps I'm going to be getting the ASRock X570M - the mATX version. I think these mobos come with A-Tuner or whatever, has anyone had any experiences?

SpeedFan is alas dead, it hasn't been updated in 5 years and doesn't support any current mobos.

Motherboard bios control of fans is the way to go. They all have software control centers that come with, but those are always bloat crap that you'd rather not keep running all the time if you can help it.

Asrock does not always have the full graphical speed control in BIOS on their mobos, but it looks like the x570m does.

However, you should maybe consider just using a b450 -- the asrock x570m is a lot of extra money for little benefit.

sincx posted:

Not a huge fan of the 80s disco aesthetic (the LEDs on the board constantly change colors), but whatever.
You can turn the RGB lights off entirely in the bios, or set them to something other than disco mode with Asus's Aura software.

sincx posted:

Or should I be happy that I'm getting 3200/CL14 on 4 sticks of dual rank memory?
I'd be pretty happy with that!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 17, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You want quiet for audio, go with a B450, the x570 chipset requires a tiny little chipset fan. If you need quiet for recording that is going to be a no go. Yes it should turn off in most models but do you really want a fan you forget exists ramping up while you are recording ruining what you are doing?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I bought the NZXT Grid v3 to control my fans, using CAM. I've got 6 in my O11 Air. 3 on the Corsair AIO and 3 on the front intake for the GPU, which are almost never running. I preferred CAM to iCue, which is why I didn't go with Corsairs alternative... But I'm 90% sure CAM has been causing black screen crashes with my 5700.

There is an alternative python tool called 'liquidctl' on GitHub, for controlling AIOs and fans on the grid. It's pretty good tbh, it just doesn't do fan speed based on an external temperature like the GPU yet.

I couldn't do fan speeds based on GPU temps using the Gigabyte software, so gave up on putting them on the motherboard.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

SpeedFan is alas dead, it hasn't been updated in 5 years and doesn't support any current mobos.

Motherboard bios control of fans is the way to go. They all have software control centers that come with, but those are always bloat crap that you'd rather not keep running all the time if you can help it.

Asrock does not always have the full graphical speed control in BIOS on their mobos, but it looks like the x570m does.

However, you should maybe consider just using a b450 -- the asrock x570m is a lot of extra money for little benefit.
Blimey really? That's a shame. Is there no light weight software similar to SpeedFan? 5 years is a long time to develop something haha!
Thanks for the heads up and tips nonetheless.
----

EDITS INCOMING! Thanks for the other replies peeps.

pixaal posted:

You want quiet for audio, go with a B450, the x570 chipset requires a tiny little chipset fan. If you need quiet for recording that is going to be a no go. Yes it should turn off in most models but do you really want a fan you forget exists ramping up while you are recording ruining what you are doing?
Yeah I don't mind that under my circumstance so I guess I'll test it out. If the chipset fan is a real pain in the butt it'll have to be managed, or replace in the future. My main concern is with b450 I'll need to flash bios, but I don't have a way of doing that before installing the CPU. Unless that's irrelevant?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I bought the NZXT Grid v3 to control my fans, using CAM. I've got 6 in my O11 Air. 3 on the Corsair AIO and 3 on the front intake for the GPU, which are almost never running. I preferred CAM to iCue, which is why I didn't go with Corsairs alternative... But I'm 90% sure CAM has been causing black screen crashes with my 5700.

There is an alternative python tool called 'liquidctl' on GitHub, for controlling AIOs and fans on the grid. It's pretty good tbh, it just doesn't do fan speed based on an external temperature like the GPU yet.

I couldn't do fan speeds based on GPU temps using the Gigabyte software, so gave up on putting them on the motherboard.
Interesting, thanks! I'll keep it in mind. What's the cam app like, is it light?

give me thread fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 17, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

give me thread posted:

Blimey really? That's a shame. Is there no light weight software similar to SpeedFan? 5 years is a long time to develop something haha!
----

EDITS INCOMING! Thanks for the other replies peeps.
Yeah I don't mind that under my circumstance so I guess I'll test it out. If the chipset fan is a real pain in the butt it'll have to be managed, or replace in the future. My main concern is with b450 I'll need to flash bios, but I don't have a way of doing that before installing the CPU. Unless that's irrelevant?
Interesting, thanks! I'll keep it in mind. What's the cam app like, is it light?

You won't need to flash bios unless you somehow got a board that's been sitting on a shelf since before Zen2 launched last summer, it's a non-issue at this point.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've only ever seen people claim E-die actually likes voltage, TBH. Some timings (tRCD especially) hit walls pretty quickly and can't be overcome with more voltage, but others like tCL or tRP scale pretty well, as long as you don't go over 1.5V (the limit of DDR4 chips in general).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

give me thread posted:

Blimey really?

My main concern is with b450 I'll need to flash bios, but I don't have a way of doing that before installing the CPU. Unless that's irrelevant?

If "blimey" means you live in the UK or something, you can get the MSI b450 Mortar Max and be 100% sure you won't have to flash the bios. It's also one of the best mATX boards around, and MSI not selling in the US is a huge bummer because it makes recommending matx much harder.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

give me thread posted:

There's Argus Monitor which is real nice but a) it's paid with a free trial and b) probably overkill if you only want to set fan curves.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Klyith posted:

If "blimey" means you live in the UK or something, you can get the MSI b450 Mortar Max and be 100% sure you won't have to flash the bios. It's also one of the best mATX boards around, and MSI not selling in the US is a huge bummer because it makes recommending matx much harder.

Holy crap (I mean blimey ;D), thanks for the hint! This looks like a beast with features sans pcie4.0 which I dunno is worth it. I did just buy an m.2 disk that supports it, however... But yea this looks like a good swap for the Asrock so thank you.

edit: maybe not "beast" but comparable to the asrock x570M at least and at like 1/2 the price.

Arzachel posted:

There's Argus Monitor which is real nice but a) it's paid with a free trial and b) probably overkill if you only want to set fan curves.
Thank this looks promising too. Might give it a shot.

give me thread fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 17, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

Yes, argus monitor is the way to go now

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I.F. pushed that far can burn 20..25W constantly iirc (even when idle) and eat into the power budget of the cpu. Are you sure it's worth it? :ohdear:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

sincx posted:

Well done AMD and Micron.
What about the poor bastard who routed the DDR traces on the motherboard? :colbert:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A desktop version of the zen2+apu is supposed to be out soon right? I'm stuck in my house and for the first time in forever feel like upgrading a PC

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

A desktop version of the zen2+apu is supposed to be out soon right? I'm stuck in my house and for the first time in forever feel like upgrading a PC

Not for a while, the mobile version is just coming to market now and the desktop is gonna be a year later.

There just aren't many customers who who specifically want a Ryzen desktop CPU with iGPU, and also care about performance enough to bother about which version of Zen they get.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 19, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Argus monitor is really good. Has a few nifty tricks that BIOS fan curves can't do, like control a chassis fan based on GPU temperature, configurable hysteresis, etc. Most people will probably be perfectly happy with just setting fan curves in BIOS but if you like tinkering at all it's well worth the :20bux: to not have to deal with the garbage that is motherboard vendor software bundles. It can also control some brands of CLC's these days, which is nice because NZXT's CAM software is a real piece of work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Klyith posted:

Not for a while, the mobile version is just coming to market now and the desktop is gonna be a year later.

There just aren't many customers who who specifically want a Ryzen desktop CPU with iGPU, and also care about performance enough to bother about which version of Zen they get.
Zen2 APU are not a year away in all likelihood, it is the same die as the mobile parts which just got announced so it’s already in production.

There was a 6 month gap between the launches on Zen+, due to laptop being more profitable. By that timeline, it would be around September. Although a lot of the rumors were that they would come out at the same time as B550/A520, which is supposedly coming earlier in the summer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Zen2 APU are not a year away in all likelihood, it is the same die as the mobile parts which just got announced so it’s already in production.

There was a 6 month gap between the launches on Zen+, due to laptop being more profitable. By that timeline, it would be around September. Although a lot of the rumors were that they would come out at the same time as B550/A520, which is supposedly coming earlier in the summer.

Oh drat I misread an anandtech article that was saying consistent 1 year delays, for the desktop to first mobile. Not mobile to mobile-in-desktop-packaging.

OTOH Renoir is getting traction in actual good laptops finally, so I guess it depends on demand? Lot of potential weirdness from the 'roni, maybe good laptops are in high demand because everyone is working from home, maybe laptops aren't being made because factories are shut down.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Argus monitor is really good. Has a few nifty tricks that BIOS fan curves can't do, like control a chassis fan based on GPU temperature, configurable hysteresis, etc. Most people will probably be perfectly happy with just setting fan curves in BIOS but if you like tinkering at all it's well worth the :20bux: to not have to deal with the garbage that is motherboard vendor software bundles. It can also control some brands of CLC's these days, which is nice because NZXT's CAM software is a real piece of work.

Kind of wish I bought Argus and just got splitters for my motherboard headers to control fans, rather than the Grid v3. Probably would've been cheaper as well.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Not half bad for a cheap rear end build. Stock clocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Crunchy Black posted:

Not half bad for a cheap rear end build. Stock clocks.

I might be wrong here but you should be getting 9-10k. How's your cooling?