Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Spike the curve guys. Let's home the loving homeless while we're talking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

facialimpediment posted:

Want to know what's a real problem?

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/1240006716886003715?s=19

That's a real problem. Four basketball players getting the coronavirus and nobody knows who the gently caress infected them and/or how many people they infected.

Edit: also, in fitting this subforum https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1240007138493292545?s=19

Hint: find the infected instagram model that all the infected players follow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1240002900971212802

Now we're cooking with gas. Don't start from that bullshit compromised $500 position; start from a good number that would help people and then negotiate with the blood suckers

HELL loving YEA BYE CREDIT CARD DEBT

(this will never happen)

alternatively, every american who made over 14 million dollars will get an additional 1 million.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bloops posted:

HELL loving YEA BYE CREDIT CARD DEBT

(this will never happen)

alternatively, every american who made over 14 million dollars will get an additional 1 million.

Means testing is horseshit hth. How do they distribute the funds to individuals who are on SSDI or something like that where they don't have a taxable income?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Godholio posted:

It already is, we just can't/won't test for it.

Oh yea I was really referring to here in NZ, although you're right either way. And my wording was terrible

Stravag posted:

Giving money to rich people always helps the poor, man. You gotta help those "job creators" instead of those "job consumers". Otherwise it leads to "job overpredation"

Look I think we all know by now that giving money to the rich helps the poor and giving money to the poor is the worst thing you can do for them.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So yesterday here in PA the governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close for 14 days. Aside from daycares (I got an email last night from ours letting us know they were complying with the governor, but we still have to pay them regardless of whether they are open or not), it doesn't seem like a single business closed or has any plans to. We're headed for disaster.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orange juche posted:

Means testing is horseshit hth. How do they distribute the funds to individuals who are on SSDI or something like that where they don't have a taxable income?

The proposed bill I read earlier said SSDI people get it from SSA (or whatever it's called), SS recipients get it from SS, VA compensation recipients get it from the VA, and everyone else via their tax return. If they did not file last year (because of low/no income) they will have a simplified 1040 for them to use. Seemed to me like it would cover everyone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

The proposed bill I read earlier said SSDI people get it from SSA (or whatever it's called), SS recipients get it from SS, VA compensation recipients get it from the VA, and everyone else via their tax return. If they did not file last year (because of low/no income) they will have a simplified 1040 for them to use. Seemed to me like it would cover everyone.

Via tax return? What if you've already filed and received a tax return? Is this a stimulus that will be occurring 12 months after the livestock bolted out of the barn? Why does the government have to do everything rear end backwards?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Arven posted:

So yesterday here in PA the governor ordered all non-essential businesses to close for 14 days. Aside from daycares (I got an email last night from ours letting us know they were complying with the governor, but we still have to pay them regardless of whether they are open or not), it doesn't seem like a single business closed or has any plans to. We're headed for disaster.

Our office ghosted within an hour of the end of the press conference and we are working from home for the next 14 days.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I am currently allowed to buy weed. I am currently not allowed to go out and get a haircut.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm amazed/not-amazed that the Guard is still having drill. What could go wrong with bringing together dozens of people from all over the state and having them hangout in close confines for 2 days straight?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

In current events: It's 50°F out. Events are cancelling left and right. Businesses are closing down or going deliver/pickup only. Gatherings are being limited to fewer and fewer people. Everyone in my city is worried about Covid-19.

But the Ice Cream Truck is still out there blasting Turkey in the Straw, doing laps in my neighborhood. Gotta admire the hustle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

I'm amazed/not-amazed that the Guard is still having drill. What could go wrong with bringing together dozens of people from all over the state and having them hangout in close confines for 2 days straight?

Navy reserve has cancelled everything.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arven posted:

Aside from daycares (I got an email last night from ours letting us know they were complying with the governor, but we still have to pay them regardless of whether they are open or not),

hahaha what?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

Via tax return? What if you've already filed and received a tax return? Is this a stimulus that will be occurring 12 months after the livestock bolted out of the barn? Why does the government have to do everything rear end backwards?

What part of "ruin it like a business" don't you understand

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SimonCat posted:

its not that crazy to me tbh

my unit would prolly be anticipating activation right now (medical evac) so we'd prolly be in anyways

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

thats normal

also counts for snow days and junk

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

What part of "ruin it like a business" don't you understand

good point

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

orange juche posted:

Edit: I was wrong about ssdi

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

lightpole posted:

I am currently allowed to buy weed. I am currently not allowed to go out and get a haircut.

What’s the problem

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its not that crazy to me tbh

my unit would prolly be anticipating activation right now (medical evac) so we'd prolly be in anyways

Air or ground Medevac? Cause I'm not sure what an aviation unit is going to do.

I could maybe see the medics getting activated though. Current guidance on air transport is to wear an N95 mask and sanitize the vehicle after transport.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

lightpole posted:

This makes perfect sense from an epidemiological point of view

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ground

for reference my unit was activated before the gwot for a nursing home strike in state, to take over while the nurses walked, so crap like this would have everyone asking who they knew state level for when our activation was coming

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

Someone getting a fixed government check isn't going to be directly impacted by a shutdown of the service and tourism industries though. I think it makes sense to let office employees who can work from home, state/federal employees who will keep getting paid, and retirees and such that don't rely on earned income shoulder the burden while putting more in the hands of those that will be out of work and not collecting an income.

E: I say this as an office worker that will be working from home indefinitely. I'm not the person who needs help under the circumstances.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 17, 2020

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

SimonCat posted:

Air or ground Medevac? Cause I'm not sure what an aviation unit is going to do.

I could maybe see the medics getting activated though. Current guidance on air transport is to wear an N95 mask and sanitize the vehicle after transport.

You know exactly what: Minimal manning for maintenance, maximum bodies for shovel/checkpoints/etc.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

So one thing about all the bars, gyms and restaurants being closed- now Rock Creek Park and other places I walk Lando are fuckin JAMMED. This includes tons of people using shared exercise equipment :facepalm:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Basically all of our drills for ARNG got cancelled. We're alerted and standing by for activation, not medical either.

Apparently active duty is stopping schools, one dude I'm acquainted with had a ranger school slot (which is a big deal for our state, ARNG gets very few) and the school is cancelled until further notice for covid.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Ventilator maker getting requests from high wealth individuals to purchase for their home, per NBC news.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

rifles posted:

Basically all of our drills for ARNG got cancelled. We're alerted and standing by for activation, not medical either.

Apparently active duty is stopping schools, one dude I'm acquainted with had a ranger school slot (which is a big deal for our state, ARNG gets very few) and the school is cancelled until further notice for covid.

gently caress imagine being at Ranger School while this started lol.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Chicago Midway airport just announced a ground stop program lasting through tomorrow. This effectively closes the airport, which is a hub for Southwest Airlines.

Edit:

FAA: Tower at Chicago’s Midway airport is closed after ‘several’ employees there test positive for COVID-19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lake of Methane posted:

Chicago Midway airport just announced a ground stop program lasting through tomorrow. This effectively closes the airport, which is a hub for Southwest Airlines.

Edit:

FAA: Tower at Chicago’s Midway airport is closed after ‘several’ employees there test positive for COVID-19

Good. We're currently destroying independent bars and restaurants while thousands of people continue to cram themselves into aluminum tubes after congregating in lines by the score and hundred.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

orange juche posted:

Most likely to whatever the address/account was on your last tax return just as a measure of tracking things.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

In lighter news

dropkick Murphys are livestreaming their st Paddy's Day concert to an empty room

100k people watching.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Man I always wanted to go to a dkm st paddys show, but not like this :smith:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Ventilator maker getting requests from high wealth individuals to purchase for their home, per NBC news.

lol a panic run on gilded, bespoke iron lungs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Have some more levity courtesy of wallstreetbets

"The realized losses I incurred were over -18400%"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

In lighter news

dropkick Murphys are livestreaming their st Paddy's Day concert to an empty room

100k people watching.

130k now. Tuned in just in time for “Black Velvet Band”.

thanks dude :unsmith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

IT FEELS VERY WRONG TO BE WATCHING DKM WITHOUT PUNCHING THINGS

however I will not have a broken hand and the beer is cheaper so, not great not terrible.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The boys are remote (and they're looking for bandwidth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

MA-Horus posted:

IT FEELS VERY WRONG TO BE WATCHING DKM WITHOUT PUNCHING THINGS

however I will not have a broken hand and the beer is cheaper so, not great not terrible.

Drink beer, punch things around your house, its like being at uni again!