Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Corn tortillas are only "bread" in the broad sense of the word, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Squashy Nipples posted:

Corn tortillas are only "bread" in the broad sense of the word, though.

I’ve never had a corn tortilla moulder before it became leather so I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed op was using flour

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bread goes bad in 2 ways, staling and spoilage. Fridge prevents spoilage and room temp slows staling, where you store it depends on how long you want to have it and what you're planning to do with it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Bread goes bad in 2 ways, staling and spoilage. Fridge prevents spoilage and room temp slows staling, where you store it depends on how long you want to have it and what you're planning to do with it

Staling doesn’t speed up in the fridge if bread is properly stored, though. You get a hit when you put it in the fridge the first time about equal to a day or so out, and as long as you take it out, get some, and put it back, the staling isn’t noticeably faster.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I hate frozen bread, toasting it is the only option.

One of the things I like about sour dough is how well it keeps; that fifth or sixth day tastes ALMOST as good as the first.

mediaphage posted:

I’ve never had a corn tortilla moulder before it became leather so I (perhaps incorrectly) assumed op was using flour

Fair enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Having a lot of bread staling is just a good excuse to make either stuffing or bread pudding. You can't lose folks.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That Works posted:

Having a lot of bread staling is just a good excuse to make either stuffing or bread pudding. You can't lose folks.

Oh my god I'd love a big bowl of my grandma's bread pudding right now :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

That Works posted:

Agree. Or strata, French toast, muhammara, bread crumbs, stew thickener, panzanella....

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hate frozen bread, toasting it is the only option.

I don't see the problem :confused:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Penzeys is closing up their retail shops until further notice. With that said, they have a discount code that's still valid until the end of today, 20% off, the code being 'Safe' naturally.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Another option for stale bread is making bread crumbs for your fried chicken

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mediaphage posted:

Agree. Or strata, French toast, muhammara, bread crumbs, stew thickener, panzanella....

You forgot Knoedel, Germany's response to stuffing that is strictly better in every way. Especially cut up and sauteed in a little butter with some gravy. It's so good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You forgot Knoedel, Germany's response to stuffing that is strictly better in every way. Especially cut up and sauteed in a little butter with some gravy. It's so good.

Can’t forget what you’ve never heard of. Although looking those up it seems most are boiled dumplings. They sound good, tho.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

They’re kind of like boiled stuffing. The basic version is cubed stale bread with chopped onions and eggs as a binder but you can also add liver and then cook them in broth and have Leberknödelsuppe which is delicious. Or 8,000 other versions.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

They’re kind of like boiled stuffing. The basic version is cubed stale bread with chopped onions and eggs as a binder but you can also add liver and then cook them in broth and have Leberknödelsuppe which is delicious. Or 8,000 other versions.

Right, it seems like a lot of them are just boiled bread, too. The "stuffing" kind seems to be a variant? Either way I'm sure they're delicious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Right, it seems like a lot of them are just boiled bread, too. The "stuffing" kind seems to be a variant? Either way I'm sure they're delicious.

Huh. Never heard of it just being straight bread, but I admit I ain't exactly traveled the entire German speaking world. Everything I've ever eaten or made had at least onions and parsley.

I actually was so confused that I just called my mom and her response was confusion, a slur for Germans from other regions, more confusion and rounding it out with confirming I would never consider such vile heresy. And lots of cussing in German cause we loves carbs even more than Catholicism.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've never had knödel be just bread; it's always had onions, eggs, nutmeg, and parsley in it at a minimum. Also, I've got a bunch of stale bread sitting around, so I know what I'm making tonight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I made home made naan yesterday and lord help me I have baking powder in the oven right now for some loving shenanigans.

Gonna get some adai and/or dosas started soon. This whole isolation thing is absolutely wonderful for using up all of these ingredients I've bought but haven't explored in detail.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I made home made naan yesterday and lord help me I have baking powder in the oven right now for some loving shenanigans.

Gonna get some adai and/or dosas started soon. This whole isolation thing is absolutely wonderful for using up all of these ingredients I've bought but haven't explored in detail.

I’m out of yeast but all the shops have sold out. :ohdear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

therattle posted:

I’m out of yeast but all the shops have sold out. :ohdear:

Sourdough time! Get that starter alive and burping :slick:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I threw my starter away a few weeks ago. It's too much faff when the results from no-knead are almost as good (unless one goes to a huge amount of effort, which I am not prepared to do). I also hated how much was wasted with feeding and discarding, and it was always a touch sour for me. I know if I'd fed it more it would have been less sour, but that would have meant even more discard. I had a very active starter with excellent rise, but it just wasn't worth it. I've done the same thing 3 times now. I used it primarily for no-knead sourdough.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I just took mine out of the fridge while organizing this morning and am going to hit that sourdough life hard the next week.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
SODA SODA SODA BREAD YALL

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

I threw my starter away a few weeks ago. It's too much faff when the results from no-knead are almost as good (unless one goes to a huge amount of effort, which I am not prepared to do). I also hated how much was wasted with feeding and discarding, and it was always a touch sour for me. I know if I'd fed it more it would have been less sour, but that would have meant even more discard. I had a very active starter with excellent rise, but it just wasn't worth it. I've done the same thing 3 times now. I used it primarily for no-knead sourdough.

The internet, by and large, is totally wrong about sourdough and wastes way too much. It’s not nearly as finicky as you think. You can leave it in the fridge for weeks or months at a time, add a tablespoon or two to a 1:1 flour:water mixture, and throw away the rest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making meatloaf again and oh lord it's awful. Important things to remember: make sure to use part beef, pork, and veal! And never use uncooked vegetables! :negative:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Tried making meatloaf again and oh lord it's awful. Important things to remember: make sure to use part beef, pork, and veal! And never use uncooked vegetables! :negative:

Depending on your binder, and how many you use, uncooked veg can be okay...but if you're using a lot, yeah, you need to get that water out. I've literally never put veal in meatloaf though (veal is kind of awful), and I think you could totally do an all-beef meatloaf depending on what binders and fat content you use. Pork mix is tasty, though.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Our Ploughman's Dinner Feast. TJ's had plenty of cheeses and cured meats available, and I made Irish soda bread. The whiskey is our house favorite Teachers.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Kenji's opinion that veal doesn't really add a whole lot except a pretty high source of collagen, and you can sub in a pack of gelatin bloomed in whatever liquid you're using. I follow this and don't miss veal in meatloaf at all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I am honestly surprised at all this veal in meatloaf thing. I've literally never seen or heard of it being used before

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If I can get veal, I'm just gonna eat the veal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Wiggles posted:

If I can get veal, I'm just gonna eat the veal.
:same:

There's an older, mostly retired butcher that helps out at my local butcher sometimes and I asked if they had any veal once and he said no, and he ate so much of it growing up because it was cheap that he never wants to eat it again. Funny how it has gone from much cheaper than beef meat for poors to much more expensive than beef delicacy in the US in a generation. I wonder why that has happened.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there any way we can also get fois gras in meatloaf is anyone working on this HELLO?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:same:

There's an older, mostly retired butcher that helps out at my local butcher sometimes and I asked if they had any veal once and he said no, and he ate so much of it growing up because it was cheap that he never wants to eat it again. Funny how it has gone from much cheaper than beef meat for poors to much more expensive than beef delicacy in the US in a generation. I wonder why that has happened.

Public perception of consumables, it's like how lobster was garbage food for inmates up until people decided it was good + cool to eat if you aren't in Alcatraz.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So today I made some super gummy alkaline noodles but I chickened out on pulling them and my hand crank pasta machine did not do a good job of cutting them.

I now have some adai batter resting overnight.

Isolation is fun

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Yeah, I picked up 15lbs of bread flour today in anticipation of getting sent home for a few weeks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VelociBacon posted:

Public perception of consumables, it's like how lobster was garbage food for inmates up until people decided it was good + cool to eat if you aren't in Alcatraz.
Social perception certainly plays a part, but in the case of both veal and lobster scarcity has played a substantial role as well. Lobster used to be way the gently caress more plentiful and larger--five pounds was considered a small lobster back when industrial processing of them started in the 19th Century. But overfishing (due to industrial processing) resulted in smaller harvests and smaller lobsters. At roughly the same time transportation technology was improving, so lobster could be introduced to inland markets where it was unknown (and therefore didn't carry the stigma of being a poor person's food). This drove innovation in preparation and use in dishes (including the standardisation of the practice of lobsters being cooked live, which results in what most people would consider to be better flavour--prior to this most lobster was cooked dead). Which drove up demand in places where lobster was less plentiful, at a time when lobster in general was getting rarer. Which in a nutshell is how it became a prestige food.

Veal consumption crashed in the US and Europe in the second half of the 20th Century over public perception of veal production practices--sorta like foie gras--which resulted in changes of farming practices, lowering production and therefore driving up prices as mainstream demand cratered.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I say veal only because the meatloaf mix at supermarkets has it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Veal is pretty traditional iirc. Kenji did a thing on meatloaf and recommends ditching it and just using a few spoons of gelatin for much the same effect on texture without diluting beefy/porky flavors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Social perception certainly plays a part, but in the case of both veal and lobster scarcity has played a substantial role as well. Lobster used to be way the gently caress more plentiful and larger--five pounds was considered a small lobster back when industrial processing of them started in the 19th Century. But overfishing (due to industrial processing) resulted in smaller harvests and smaller lobsters. At roughly the same time transportation technology was improving, so lobster could be introduced to inland markets where it was unknown (and therefore didn't carry the stigma of being a poor person's food). This drove innovation in preparation and use in dishes (including the standardisation of the practice of lobsters being cooked live, which results in what most people would consider to be better flavour--prior to this most lobster was cooked dead). Which drove up demand in places where lobster was less plentiful, at a time when lobster in general was getting rarer. Which in a nutshell is how it became a prestige food.

Veal consumption crashed in the US and Europe in the second half of the 20th Century over public perception of veal production practices--sorta like foie gras--which resulted in changes of farming practices, lowering production and therefore driving up prices as mainstream demand cratered.

Thanks, this is interesting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine the South Park episode didn't help matters;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFqrmXSYRk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

drrockso20 posted:

I imagine the South Park episode didn't help matters;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFqrmXSYRk
Nah, it's in South Park because by the early 2000s veal was already seen, by ostentatiously disaffected dumbasses like the people who make South Park, as a stereotypically bleeding heart issue. It really started to be an issue on the public radar in the '80s, by the '90s there was broad support for veal production reform, and by the mid 2000s most of the US and Europe had laws on the books concerning it.