Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I'm guaranteed a tuition benefit from my employer, which means I pay income taxes on the sticker price. I anticipated having this problem, but I never really explored my options outside of my employer, which was probably a mistake. I was working under the assumption that based on my income and demographics, I don't make a particularly good candidate for a large scholarship at the better schools I can get into. I have no idea how my 3.8 GPA and 170 LSAT affect that an admissions office's decision process about tuition.

Part of my issue now is that I'm applying very late in the cycle for next fall, so that puts me in a pretty intense time constraint. And, well, everything else that's going on.

If you can keep your job and take classes part-time, especially classes for free, that's such a better deal than going to a higher ranked school and being miserable trying to figure out what to do at the end of three years when your library job has been taken and the only option is hanging out a shingle. Don't let the shiny 170 distract you from your prior plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Arcturas posted:

If you can keep your job and take classes part-time, especially classes for free, that's such a better deal than going to a higher ranked school and being miserable trying to figure out what to do at the end of three years when your library job has been taken and the only option is hanging out a shingle. Don't let the shiny 170 distract you from your prior plan.

This is correct, especially because even though standards have fallen considerably, a 170 isn't so amazing that you're going to get an offer worth taking that would be better.

And even if you managed a ride at say UVA or Michigan, are you sure you want to work as a lawyer?

A friend in a similar but different situation with better numbers took a free ride to Michigan. I think he lasted two years as a lawyer.

Stick with your prior plan.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Yeah. Besides, the shiniest bestest schools in my market don't have part time programs anyway, and the other schools that do aren't significantly better. I'm just getting a bunch of people in my life encouraging me to apply T14, which, c'mon. I'm not leaving my city for this poo poo, and I'm not taking on debt.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not opposed to you applying T14 and seeing if you can leverage an acceptance at a higher-ranked school into a better financial aid package where you're at. I'm just skeptical that'll happen, and concerned that instead of using it as a bargaining chip you'll decide you might as well take the offer for reasons largely related to peer pressure from your students (lol) which would be a horrible mistake.

Plus if there's a recession I imagine school applications go up as humanities grads lose access to jobs and throw their hat in the law school ring, which makes your chances at a T14 even worse.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

I'm not opposed to you applying T14 and seeing if you can leverage an acceptance at a higher-ranked school into a better financial aid package where you're at. I'm just skeptical that'll happen, and concerned that instead of using it as a bargaining chip you'll decide you might as well take the offer for reasons largely related to peer pressure from your students (lol) which would be a horrible mistake.

Plus if there's a recession I imagine school applications go up as humanities grads lose access to jobs and throw their hat in the law school ring, which makes your chances at a T14 even worse.

I wonder if that would be seen as a credible possibility, since I've already met with the admissions officer and said I intend to continue working here and am only interested in the part time program. It might be worth applying to my city's other part time programs, though. I need to figure out if I need to request new letters of recommendation for them.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

GamingHyena posted:

CK2 is misleading because it seems like you should be playing it as an empire builder but you can have just as much fun loving around with a couple of duchies in Ireland. The meat of the game is a medieval court simulator with a pretty map tacked on.

Update: Started a game as the Duke of Salerno. Felt like I was getting the hang of it. I locked down the whole duchy. Joined the Kingdom of Italy. Then died in battle as one of the King's commanders. I had two sons, so my poo poo got split in two again. The son I played as was Craven. The other son is literally a nutcase, but good at diplomacy so I made him my chancellor to fabricate claims. He kept taking time off I assume bc he's crazy. He finally got me a bullshit claim. For some reason, I was unable to declare war. My wife died of small pox at 18. New wife is Chaste but I got a daughter and son. Joined a war for the King (now a child) again. Got captured and can't pay my ransom.

10/10

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Going on my fourth day of constant interaction with my kids, I severely underestimated how much hard liquor I would need to get through this

I've gone through an ounce and a half of weed in like 10 days with this kid

Dispensaries and liquor stores must be making bank

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Soothing Vapors posted:

In states with state monopoly's on liquor they're not being considered essential services, so everyone in e.g. Pennsylvania will have to make do with wine & beer indefinitely.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I wonder if that would be seen as a credible possibility, since I've already met with the admissions officer and said I intend to continue working here and am only interested in the part time program. It might be worth applying to my city's other part time programs, though. I need to figure out if I need to request new letters of recommendation for them.

Yes! Apply to anything and everything, T14, other part time, lower ranked schools that will give you $$, anything you can use as leverage. You just need one other offer to make it work so just send out a bunch.

My part time program increased their offer because I was persistent and leveraged what they perceived as my other options even though I was like 99% sure I was never going anywhere else. Even if the chances of success are slim, the hourly return on the minimal effort is ridiculous. I probably made $50k for 5 hours of "work" of applying and phone calls to "negotiate."

Negotiating consisted of me calling admissions like 2x and saying "I'm thinking of going to [other school], what can you do for me?" They said they'd go check with the committee at the next weekly meeting. After like 2-3 weeks they got back to me with a full ride.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pro tip: mix in a little sugar and dilute it in their formula, it will go down easier and less will end up on the floor/walls.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Gobbeldygook posted:

In states with state monopoly's on liquor they're not being considered essential services, so everyone in e.g. Pennsylvania will have to make do with wine & beer indefinitely.

I just got back from the liquor store. Surprisingly well stocked and not a long line. Bourbon seemed to be the most sold out product along with Jameson and vodka. Weirdly, also sold out of Canadian Club.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Discendo Vox posted:

Pro tip: mix in a little sugar and dilute it in their formula, it will go down easier and less will end up on the floor/walls.

Sharing your emergency supply with your kids? Gotta take care of daddy first

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Discendo Vox posted:

sadly my suggestion on day 2 or 3 that we start giving him cbd gummies every morning so he chills the gently caress out was met with what could charitably be described as "extreme hostility" from my wife

Gobbeldygook posted:

if Michigan shuts down dispensaries I will definitely be going full post-apocalyptic wasteland raider

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
At least work has slowed down a bit. Given that work with bankruptcies, I suspect business will booming soon enough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
okay seriously don't give your small kids cbd or weed

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

How small are we talking?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Soothing Vapors posted:

sadly my suggestion on day 2 or 3 that we start giving him cbd gummies every morning so he chills the gently caress out was met with what could charitably be described as "extreme hostility" from my wife

if Michigan shuts down dispensaries I will definitely be going full post-apocalyptic wasteland raider

give your wife some thc then ask her again after its kicked in

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

And today began with an earthquake here in Salt Lake. Can we just restart 2020 and try again? I’m not sure which horseman of the apocalypse is next.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Next time, on Legal Questions...

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Discendo Vox posted:

My daughter is 11 and has cerebral palsy with dystonia. Which leads every idiot facebook mom I know to tell me to try CBD with her instead of her actual prescribed medication. I want to punch people sometimes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Arcturas posted:

And today began with an earthquake here in Salt Lake. Can we just restart 2020 and try again? I’m not sure which horseman of the apocalypse is next.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yep. 2020 shaping up to be a real gently caress of a year so far.

Don't @ me

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toona the Cat posted:

My daughter is 11 and has cerebral palsy with dystonia. Which leads every idiot facebook mom I know to tell me to try CBD with her instead of her actual prescribed medication. I want to punch people sometimes.

It's loving magical just how the internet short circuits that part of the brain that keeps you from saying the dumbest, most rude poo poo in regular conversation.

Seriously, motherfuckers need a good dose of the Law of Jante. Like the universal response should be "who the gently caress are you to tell me anything?" "don't think you can teach us anything" "don't think you are better than us". People seriously need to learn how to shut the gently caress up and sit the gently caress down. The overinflated sense of superiority and entitlement that lets people comment on other people's lives at all just drives me up the loving wall.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The supreme court shut down all of the other courts in this shithole haha yes

Because clearly they should have authority to do that

And they even had the audacity to list specific categories of hearings that the lower courts should still do. It's not the judge who decides that, it's the loving supreme court chair

assholes

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

dvox, over the 13 terrible incarnations of this abominable lawthread, I have been serious maybe 3 times

mastershakeman posted:

give your wife some thc then ask her again after its kicked in

lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/alexchcarroll/status/1239990480927993856?s=20

Soothing Vapors posted:

dvox, over the 13 terrible incarnations of this abominable lawthread, I have been serious maybe 3 times

Yes, which is why I'm warning you now, I mean, I see your username

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 18, 2020

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Just got back from court because they made us go in to put continuances forward and pick up orders.

40 something litigants all packed together insteas of spacing out across the floor while people were called into the courtroom one at a time.

Also got harassed by security asking why I was there and they didn't believe I had a matter at first.

Good times.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
BC Superior Courts are now completely shut, including for urgent and in-custody matters. I assume our Provincial Courts will soon follow.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

For anyone considering waiting out the recession by getting a JD, see 1:25 in the video for a view of the kitchen of a law school success story.

Neat video though. Good for him.

Fuzzie Dunlop fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 18, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Soothing Vapors posted:

I would be too. Don't waste that poo poo.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

For anyone considering waiting out the recession by getting a JD, see 1:25 in the video for a view of the kitchen of a law school success story.

Neat video though. Good for him.

you would think a law professor salary would go a long ways in loving arkansas at least

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
His salary goes entirely to cat food.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Apparently this thread associates success with a McMansion.

Man's house looks fine and comfortable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pook Good Mook posted:

Apparently this thread associates success with a McMansion.

Man's house looks fine and comfortable.

Also some people have priorities over a fancy house. Travel, cars, and bikes are way more important to me, for example. I'd have to give all those up to buy near where I work, so rent an apartment with an acceptable, but not amazing kitchen it is.
Speaking of travel. I have no travel scheduled until May 5. The longest I've been in town for years. Fuckin' annoying, but the way its gotta be.
I still am hoping to gently caress off to Japan for a month in May. Let's see how that works out, cotton. I bought a backup plane ticket to avoid south korea while flying via Canada. Now the Canadian border is closing and south korea (and Japan) looks like they got poo poo contained. Huuum.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Whoever was asking about Disco Elysium being worth full price, it’s 25% off right now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

look, I was given scotch at three months and I turned out . . . fine . . .

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Mmm...scotch

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
My large fat child drinks like a bitch

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, pretend-apocalypse was cool for a couple days but lets wrap this up?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think the world will look the same in a year. We're going to be fundamentally different, but I can't say how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think the world will look the same in a year. We're going to be fundamentally different, but I can't say how.

Fewer boomers