Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Did an interview today for a candidate, professionally next to my bar in my basement. My cat also jumped up and then got very obsessed with being in front of the camera since I tried to push her off my desk. The candidate had to warn us that a kid might bust in since he is doing childcare for his nephew since schools have been closed.

I had to end the interview letting him know I had no loving clue what the next steps are since we've never had to hire someone completely remote before.

It's a really weird time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Did you at least offer them a drink??

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Re: chair chat

Woot is offering refurbished steelcase chairs $130-199

Now I just need to find a decent webcam in stock. I want to use my desktop and don't feel like setting up my work laptop at gome, and I have the best background for zoom to use.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Roundboy posted:

Re: chair chat

Woot is offering refurbished steelcase chairs $130-199

Now I just need to find a decent webcam in stock. I want to use my desktop and don't feel like setting up my work laptop at gome, and I have the best background for zoom to use.

Those two models they have (Uno and Criterion) aren't the best, and those are only about 33-50% off brand new price, FYI. I can't speak for the Uno, but the Criterion is no good for anything more than conference room "an hour or two" seating, IMHO. Your wrists and forearms will hate you if you have a typing-heavy job and use it. I had one at a former company and it did not play well with my tendonitis whatsoever. It literally hurt to use the chair to the point where I was bringing in extra arm cushions, etc.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Good to know. I saw steelcase and my knowledge bar maxed out

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
There are at least 4 people that were supposed to start their new employee orientation stuff (2 days) on Monday. Instead because of Coronavirus they're getting paid and get to stay home. They lucked into my dream job somehow.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
E: maybe i shouldn’t

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 18, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You should be telling every media outlet you can contact about that poo poo.

e: They got to him :tinfoil:

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 18, 2020

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I'm an essential employee no matter what but we haven't closed yet as the company wants the government to pay for the time off.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Jordan7hm posted:

My office is mandatory WFH as of Wednesday and offices are all closed as of Friday.

On a call right now talking about how WFH might mean working early, taking calls in the day, and then working late. I'm really pleased with how we're managing this.

You're pleased with WFH meaning everyone is available all the time? I can't tell if this is sarcastic.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

You should be telling every media outlet you can contact about that poo poo.

e: They got to him :tinfoil:

Just quickly realized that it isn't the wisest idea to connect dots without better facts so flippantly, from the hand that feeds in these times.

If I find anything concrete and not speculations I will not hesitate to though.

They've been acting very responsibly during this in every other regard.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 18, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Just quickly realized that it isn't the wisest idea to connect dots without better facts so flippantly, from the hand that feeds in these times.

If you can PM it to me I'd be interested.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

They've been acting very responsibly during this in every other regard.

I mean I’d be curious with what they’re doing with an intermodal container of cool whip, a vuvuzela, and sixty weed eaters too!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Midjack posted:

I mean I’d be curious with what they’re doing with an intermodal container of cool whip, a vuvuzela, and sixty weed eaters too!

The aristocrats!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

If you can PM it to me I'd be interested.

I'd rather not foment more conspiracy so I'll spill it here.

I irresponsibly threw an accusation that my company was burying a covid connection to a recent employee death. I actually have no facts to suggest that and was being overly cynical and sharing too much. They really have been on top of sequestering everyone and pushing for social distancing for the past week and a half so it would actually be uncharacteristic. It was hasty.

Now, if I did find out the contrary with facts, I will absolutely start blowing whistles.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boot and Rally posted:

You're pleased with WFH meaning everyone is available all the time? I can't tell if this is sarcastic.

I’m pleased that my company went wfh without any bullshit very quickly. I’m pleased that they are doing all the right things in terms of shutting offices and not just asking but telling us not to go on-site with clients even if the clients are stupidly still on-site.

And what I meant was more that there is a recognition that working effectively remotely isn’t the same as working effectively in an office environment. The best time to do work when there’s a kid in the house is probably not 10-3, so other than calls I’m going to shift my work hours to earlier in the day and later in the evening. Our management is really doing a good job of being accommodating and understanding, and I’m really impressed with how the last five or six days have been handled.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The on-going slide towards WFH enters a new phase, HR sent out a new directive... at 7PM. They're in agreement with all the unions that if you want to wfh and your supervisor agrees your role can be done remotely, they'll let you do so even if you're not showing symptoms or in an at-risk group. If your job can't be done remotely then you report in as usual, but if you show symptoms, test positive, or have to care for somebody who's at risk you get advanced 80 hours of sick leave.

Couple weeks late but we're finally getting on the ball. Of course this came out so late I'm still going to have to go in tomorrow to make sure my boss is okay with me wfh and then to sign the paperwork.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m pleased that my company went wfh without any bullshit very quickly. I’m pleased that they are doing all the right things in terms of shutting offices and not just asking but telling us not to go on-site with clients even if the clients are stupidly still on-site.

And what I meant was more that there is a recognition that working effectively remotely isn’t the same as working effectively in an office environment. The best time to do work when there’s a kid in the house is probably not 10-3, so other than calls I’m going to shift my work hours to earlier in the day and later in the evening. Our management is really doing a good job of being accommodating and understanding, and I’m really impressed with how the last five or six days have been handled.

Same thing with my company. I feel like we were one of the quickest to act that I've heard of. (Granted, not much of this really gets shared it seems.)

And also implementing a pandemic policy with additional PTO. It's really quite incredible given some companies' responses.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Living in Tokyo. My wife has been WFH from all this month, except a couple days she needed to go in (maybe twice).

My company first said “coordinate WFH with your manager and senior manager,” which my manager took as “are you worried about being on the train? how do we schedule people in and out of the office” so nothing happened.

An email came in yesterday essentially giving the green light for anybody to WFH freely. Crickets so far. The arm of our company in Europe has shut offices and is going WFH for other locations.

To say I’m displeased is an understatement.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mmariansky/status/1222121466864586752?s=20

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol one of my coworkers is symptomatic, is in self quarantine, and just got tested.

It'll take...5 days to get the test results. Our disaster recovery plan still isn't done and WFH is still not an option. But at least we're getting close. We're also essential personnel for a utility so not working is straight up not an option.

(There's not enough laptops for everyone though so :shrug:)

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 18, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I'd rather not foment more conspiracy so I'll spill it here.

I irresponsibly threw an accusation that my company was burying a covid connection to a recent employee death. I actually have no facts to suggest that and was being overly cynical and sharing too much. They really have been on top of sequestering everyone and pushing for social distancing for the past week and a half so it would actually be uncharacteristic. It was hasty.

Now, if I did find out the contrary with facts, I will absolutely start blowing whistles.

I'm an rear end in a top hat, they're waiting for testing to come back before next steps and actively planning a public and internal communication plan if it is related. Just heard on a senior leader call.

I feel silly for jumping to conclusions. Situation getting the best of me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My partner’s work figured out remote access and is letting her team (financial services) work from home. They also appear to be extending year end. She was so relieved that she was in tears. She’s the manager of her group and has been working really hard to support her team through this, I’m really happy senior levels or her org did the right thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Thought: when you’ve learned various VP’s teleconference passcodes by heart, you need to change jobs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

WFH update:

All departments on WFH, except HR. HR fully staffed in the office, because they’re an essential service. Somehow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol someone hates HR as much as we do

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

HR made the determination they were essential.

Hopefully this plague wipes out HR everywhere.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FrozenVent posted:

HR made the determination they were essential.

Hopefully this plague wipes out HR everywhere.

The whole dept?

If the office isn't technically closed, someone from HR is probably important but how many people are in the dept that they think they all need to be there?

My organization is considering a variation of https://twitter.com/jasonfried/status/1239932208024092672?s=19

Which would be amazing. My wife and I are trying to homeschool a 5 and 9 year old while working full time which is ridiculous. I'm thinking of telling my team I will take 100% of all off-hour on-call to make up for the fact that I'm just not going to be around all the time during "core" hours.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

TraderStav posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat, they're waiting for testing to come back before next steps and actively planning a public and internal communication plan if it is related. Just heard on a senior leader call.

Not giving a corporation the benefit of the doubt in an extreme situation does not make you an rear end in a top hat. It doesn't even make you an rear end in a top hat under normal circumstances. Businesses in this country (assuming you are in the U.S.) lost the right to expect anything else decades ago. Even when you've been historically treated well at a given company, all it takes is one single sociopath getting hired at the right level to ruin absolutely everything.

I'm glad to hear that your company is reacting in a relatively sane manner though, one less thing you have to worry about.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Just announced a six month delay on a project that was ready to go live in two months. All hands meeting to discuss staffing models over the summer in a few hours. This should be, uh, interesting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Not at all. Especially if you’re in the United States there’s absolutely no reason to give companies or governments the benefit of the doubt in any situation like this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Our VPN sucks so much that I was able to make a pot of soup from scratch while working. Click on a thing, chop an onion. Oh good, it finally opened, now I can upload this thing! Set to upload, peel & chop a potato. Yay, uploaded! And so on.

At least I'm gonna have some fantastic dinner for the next week or so.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just got an email from our IT department saying that Cisco Webex is having a nationwide disruption.

Guess we're going to have to scale back on some meetings.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Just got an email from our IT department saying that Cisco Webex is having a nationwide disruption.

Guess we're going to have to scale back on some meetings.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

HR called asking I adjust my team’s review scores downward so they’re closer to the bell curve.

Joke’s on them, the personnel management system crashed. gently caress em.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FrozenVent posted:

HR called asking I adjust my team’s review scores downward so they’re closer to the bell curve.

Joke’s on them, the personnel management system crashed. gently caress em.

Your team is better than the rest, hr just doesnt get it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

taqueso posted:

Your team is better than the rest, hr just doesnt get it

They are, though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd tell them that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Got approval to WFH starting tomorrow for the duration of Santa Clara county's SiP order, with the caveat that since the total lack of traffic means I can get into the office in 15-20 minutes I'm expected to be ready to come in at a moment's notice if needed. Sure whatever, I'll take it :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sydin posted:

Got approval to WFH starting tomorrow for the duration of Santa Clara county's SiP order, with the caveat that since the total lack of traffic means I can get into the office in 15-20 minutes I'm expected to be ready to come in at a moment's notice if needed. Sure whatever, I'll take it :toot:

Granted I'm not in a city with SiP orders, but I went for a run around lunch and there were still a ton of cars on the residential side streets.