Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mslopatto/status/1236321363498921985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Tech Nightmare Thread: I'm only five years old myself, please don't kill me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So far, Salesforce, Microsoft, and Amazon (at least) have told all workers to work from home. Microsoft says that the contractor staff will still be paid, even though they won't be needed at the facilities. It'll be interesting to see who follows.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So far, Salesforce, Microsoft, and Amazon (at least) have told all workers to work from home. Microsoft says that the contractor staff will still be paid, even though they won't be needed at the facilities. It'll be interesting to see who follows.

It'll be interesting to see if corporate culture pulls back from this in the long-term or whether these will be permanent changes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

There Bias Two posted:

It'll be interesting to see if corporate culture pulls back from this in the long-term or whether these will be permanent changes.

this will end up with them cutting overhead and installing productivity software that make sure you're still doing billable work at your computer

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"Hope you enjoy your field trip TO A DETENTION CENTER,"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Facetious posted:

"Hope you enjoy your field trip TO A DETENTION CENTER,"

Killing Fields trip

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

“Notoriously absent Chinese fathers”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shrike82 posted:

“Notoriously absent Chinese fathers”

Band name

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
How permanent do you think the remote work that tech companies are mandating due to coronavirus will be if they find productivity doesn’t go down? Then how much economic impact will that have in the long term when there’s fewer and fewer tech companies with large (and taxable) real estate holdings and workers start moving out of the priciest techhubs into cheaper suburbs and towns?

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 8, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DukeDuke posted:

How permanent do you think the remote work that tech companies are mandating due to coronavirus will be if they find productivity doesn’t go down? Then how much economic impact will that have in the long term when there’s fewer and fewer tech companies with large (and taxable) real estate holdings and workers start moving out of the priciest techhubs into cheaper suburbs and towns?

I have a real hard time believing this will be the case. Do you really think they can wring as much value out of employee's time if they are at home?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Management will miss having employees to abuse, their families just aren't the same.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Delta-Wye posted:

I have a real hard time believing this will be the case. Do you really think they can wring as much value out of employee's time if they are at home?

Yes. I work remote and absolutely believe it. There will be an initial dip as people get used to it but it would correct if done long enough.

One of the hardest parts of wfh is maintaining work/life balance. Employers would eat that poo poo up once they realized it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Yes. I work remote and absolutely believe it. There will be an initial dip as people get used to it but it would correct if done long enough.

One of the hardest parts of wfh is maintaining work/life balance. Employers would eat that poo poo up once they realized it.

Yeah one of the guys on our staff who works remotely from Germany is a workaholic, and the other one in Florida puts some hours in as well. I guess it's harder to make a mental separation from work.

The real productivity issue I believe in working remotely is not being able to just walk over to someone's desk and talk to them; you've got to Slack or email them. Overall that might be a gain though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Working from home vs. Working in the office really depends on the job. Sure a lot of coders can probably do it, but microsoft /amazon arent all coders; they have huge hardware teams.

For that kind of work, working with remote people loving sucks. They dont have a sense of how things are physically working out on prototypes--even if you video call them, it's just not the same as them getting their hands on poo poo. So you have to ship stuff to them, which is another day or two delay in feedback. Any kind of mechanical issue that has to be explained over video calls or emails makes a ton more work for me and the ground team compared to if the person was just in the office and could walk over and take a look.

I think working remotely a couple times a week is fine since there is lower priority work that doesnt need a team discussion. But when things need to move fast, I think you really need folks to at least be in commuting distance of the office so they can be there on short notice when they need to be.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Working from home vs. Working in the office really depends on the job. Sure a lot of coders can probably do it, but microsoft /amazon arent all coders; they have huge hardware teams.

For that kind of work, working with remote people loving sucks. They dont have a sense of how things are physically working out on prototypes--even if you video call them, it's just not the same as them getting their hands on poo poo. So you have to ship stuff to them, which is another day or two delay in feedback. Any kind of mechanical issue that has to be explained over video calls or emails makes a ton more work for me and the ground team compared to if the person was just in the office and could walk over and take a look.

I think working remotely a couple times a week is fine since there is lower priority work that doesnt need a team discussion. But when things need to move fast, I think you really need folks to at least be in commuting distance of the office so they can be there on short notice when they need to be.

I'm on a hardware team what you're describing is def the case for us too. I'm going in for a few hours today so I can do some soldering and hardware bringup while the office is (hopefully) empty before going back to my previously scheduled WFH schedule.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KateClarkTweets/status/1236038626959454209

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'm nearly a decade into WFH but have been lucky to work for companies that care about results.

The honey for all other companies will be v that webcam monitoring poo poo that was posted here last week.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hack 1: Don't congregate in large groups during an epidemic.

oh

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Hack 1: Don't congregate in large groups during an epidemic.

oh
Embrace everyone and just cough in their faces.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SardonicTyrant posted:

Embrace everyone and just cough in their faces.

Now that's ~diSRUupTIVE1!1~~

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tech companies looking to cash in on virus by allowing people to work for free coming up with ideas for them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i feel like the term hackathon has lost all meaning. Also arent they usually held for and by tech/computer people? would this one have people that know anything in any bioscience or is it just going to be Musky ideas people?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

i feel like the term hackathon has lost all meaning. Also arent they usually held for and by tech/computer people? would this one have people that know anything in any bioscience or is it just going to be Musky ideas people?

Hackathons have rarely ever actually been all tech people.

If I had to guess I'd say more than half of all hackathons end with slideshows as the end products.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hackathons are a mediocre genre of videogame.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Also at this point if you're doing any somewhat serious scientific research, at bare minimum you're regularly working in R and have to know some Python for data modeling & presentation purposes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Platystemon posted:

I would argue that for some programming is a form of psychological sublimation from video games. Students often become CS majors because they want to make games.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Hackathons have rarely ever actually been all tech people.

If I had to guess I'd say more than half of all hackathons end with slideshows as the end products.

I've won many hackathons just by actually having something to demo besides a login page or a slideshow. People are just bad at minimum viable product or use hackathons to learn a new language or tool (worst idea).

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

poemdexter posted:

I've won many hackathons just by actually having something to demo besides a login page or a slideshow. People are just bad at minimum viable product or use hackathons to learn a new language or tool (worst idea).

The key to success is coming into it already having a team and an idea of what to execute. Teaming up with random people often leads to spending hours on the idea and it's a toss up to the skill level or personal compatibility. And yeah use what you know.

E: or just going solo with a plan.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 10, 2020

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

The key to success is coming into it already having a team and an idea of what to execute. Teaming up with random people often leads to spending hours on the idea and it's a toss up to the skill level or personal compatibility. And yeah use what you know.

E: or just going solo with a plan.

Yep, I've had a dedicated partner for the last 4 hackathons I've been to. We won all 4. We've split about 15k in prize money not including the trip to Vegas provided by the company hosting the event for being top 4 in the nation. We are actually really sad there hasn't been any hackathons in the past year or so around here. We'd do like 8 hours of work total for the entire weekend and walk out with like 2k in amazon gift cards or something like that. Easiest money ever considering the competition around here is awful.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

I can verify, based on app reviews of "The Climate Trail", that the % of climate deniers on Android is larger than those on iOS. :-)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1239680661406896128

:thermidor:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The guillotine is too good for them, good ol' fashioned axe and block for those people.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

The guillotine is too good for them, good ol' fashioned axe and block for those people.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
brazaen bulll, we even have a nice bull we can retrofit*.

*probably not

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I've never wanted to punch someone so hard in my life. A global pandemic and all they can think about is how to make money from it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Does bricking someone into a wall count as a block?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Platystemon posted:

GameJams appear to be more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

VideoGameVet posted:

GameJams appear to be more useful.

Story based climate adventures are without equals 😉