Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

The key points seem to be
-Wuhan had one type of virus, USA has 5

There is only one virus, the genetic differentiation is mostly genetic noise rather than actual substantive change in presentation or w/e since mutations tend to either terminate as they aren't viable or do nothing. Unless it's changed, the research on it think its bat->pangolin->humans so it'd be weird to place it in the US tho not impossible I guess. Also it wasn't a pandemic in Wuhan. That is localized, and they contained it. The pandemic occurred because there was no response for months after the end of Chinese new years from other countries, where millions of folks congregated then flew back all over the world lol. Wishful thinking at its finest. In china, this was before the Chinese national govt stepped in and locked down 40 million people. The symptoms are sufficiently vague to where healthcare systems can not notice a difference until the mountain of bodies is upon them since the lag in becoming infected to requiring hospitalization or self-isolation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

There is only one virus, the genetic differentiation is mostly genetic noise rather than actual substantive change in presentation or w/e since mutations tend to either terminate as they aren't viable or do nothing. Unless it's changed, the research on it think its bat->pangolin->humans so it'd be weird to place it in the US tho not impossible I guess. Also it wasn't a pandemic in Wuhan. That is localized, and they contained it. The pandemic occurred because there was no response for months after the end of Chinese new years, where millions of folks congregated then flew back all over the world lol. This was before the Chinese national govt stepped in and locked down 40 million people. The symptoms are sufficiently vague to where healthcare systems can not notice a difference until the mountain of bodies is upon them.

The Chinese government also intentionally suppressed doctors who noticed it was similar to SARs and forced them to sign confessions.

From genetic code the disease was allowed to spread for almost a whole month (Dec) before there was any sort of response or official warning by the Chinese government.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

etalian posted:

The Chinese government also intentionally suppressed doctors who noticed it was similar to SARs and forced them to sign confessions.

From genetic code the disease was allowed to spread for almost a whole month (Dec) before there was any sort of response or official warning by the Chinese government.

Ye the fuckup was in the initial month i.e. the doc who died of it/initial whistleblower. It's intensely funny that this see no evil response was basically replicated elsewhere even after everybody knew of the virus. lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Govt should have been lurking CDC-SPAM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

Ye the fuckup was in the initial month i.e. the doc who died of it/initial whistleblower. It's intensely funny that this see no evil response was basically replicated elsewhere even after everybody knew of the virus. lol

lmao how the response in asian countries like China and Taiwan (#1) was better than anything in western countries.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Not So Fast posted:

Is there any actual basis for "The US had Coronavirus in September and didn't know, then sent it to Wuhan by mistake"?

The key points seem to be
-Wuhan had one type of virus, USA has 5
-US was reporting cases of pneumonia back in September

The thing that confuses me is if its true, why didn't it hit pandemic level until it hit Wuhan?

For this to be true, you'd have to go to caves in the Wuhan region, capture the bats there, isolate the viruses from their GI tract, give the population in China around the caves various versions of the coronaviruses because they have antibodies against them, modify and release to the public in the United States, and then send the infected people straight to one spot in China without spreading it in the US or anywhere else.

It's just not realistic.

Also this "five viruses" thing, they aren't that different, drift will happen but it's on a relatively small scale.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

lmao how the response in asian countries like China and Taiwan (#1) was better than anything in western countries.

Even South Korea who had to deal with a literal doomsday cult trying to spread it seems like they've gotten quite good at getting it controlled

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The virus really can't be a bioweapon from either China or the US. If you follow the lancet first article about the first 41 patients, the first patient didn't exhibit any human-to-human transmission. The virus mutated to become highly transmissible in Wuhan, probably when it got to the animal market.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Even South Korea who had to deal with a literal doomsday cult trying to spread it seems like they've gotten quite good at getting it controlled

for European nations probably the funniest are turning out to be UK (faster rate = faster herd immunity) and Netherlands (What me worry?)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
France starting to lock poo poo down but not cancelling/delaying tomorrow's city council elections is also pretty funny. It's alright, the government told people to bring their own pens to sign the voter registry.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

etalian posted:

I am going to assume with little evidence that posters in this thread are actually posting in good faith so here's a serious response. China has a system of "Administrative detention" which is essentially a step between the American systems of "Drunk tank for 24 hours" and "locked up with formal charges for (sometimes) months or years until you can come up with a huge amount of money for bail, awaiting a trial in a justice system that needs to follow an enormous amount of procedural protections that are good on paper but mostly just means defendants plead guilty to get it over with". In China if you do something lovely but not that lovely like a bar fight causing significant injuries or street racing or some such the police at a certain level beyond prefecture can administratively detain you for up to 2 weeks as a punishment after a summary proceeding. The intention is to avoid situations like the US where the police have no formal powers of prosecution and the only thing anyone can be hit with is a full on prison sentence which would then entail a trial, prosecutors, etc for a relatively minor offense. There's a lot of internal criticism of the system because the summary proceedings are often perfunctory by police departments who are at best not trained determining actual fault or often just plain corrupt, but it's intentionally designed so that the actual sentence is at most just 2 weeks in the local lockup because it is expected that this kind of authority in the hands of local police will result of a lot of abuses or mistakes. Administrative detention is not a criminal matter and does not result in a criminal record, and at the end of the day being locked up for a week in the local police station isn't a massive life changing event for most people even if they do turn out to be innocent or not as guilty or whatever.

So in this case, the doctor that first started broadcasting on social media that it was a big problem was administratively detained by the local police for rumor mongering and causing public panic. While that was obviously a mistake, plenty of people do *actually* cause public panic with dumb rumors and the public doesn't really have an issue with them getting detained for a few days, so it's not as if the local authorities reacted particularly unreasonably given what was known at the time and the typical way social order is maintained. Being able to detain people without trial for longer than what is theoretically permissible under most western systems of justice isn't that uncommon in Asian countries, e.g. in Japan the police can detain suspects without charges for up to 23 days, which in theory is a harsher system than the Chinese one that at least requires some formal proceeding if not a full on trial.

TL;DR the system of local administrative justice has problems, but Xi Jinping wasn't actually going around putting bullets into the heads of doctors for reasons? like you read in your local sexpat rag.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Sick Men of Americans

* editorial opinion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

China has a system of "Administrative detention"

This is really informative, thank you!

sincx posted:

Chinese immigrants in Europe are scrambling to get back to China now, since China is effectively containing the disease and the European countries are not.

I still remember the NYT/WSJ (read: State Department proxy) op-eds in January saying this will bring down the CCP and balkanize the PRC lmao.

The Americans, they're not sending their best! And some, I assume, are infected people.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

Funny how the worst we can say about China on this issue is that they can effectively solve a problem when they stop ignoring it.

Side note; I'm still not sure if the people going down streets spraying disinfectant everywhere actually helps or is just theatrics. Oh well, it's not hurting anything I guess.

BrokenGameboy has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Mar 14, 2020

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, most of the evidence seems to suggest that the “Chinese government” ie Beijing knew about the situation later than Wuhan did, and they were the ones that implemented lockdown measures. It was also only clear in early-mid January that it was in fact a novel infection.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Mar 14, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sincx posted:

I still remember the NYT/WSJ (read: State Department proxy) op-eds in January saying this will bring down the CCP and balkanize the PRC lmao.

The virgin Trump vs the Chad Pooh Bear response

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

etalian posted:

lmao how the response in asian countries like China and China (#1) was better than anything in western countries.

idgi

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-e7GzbA-Fg

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/bopanc/status/1239590780542607360

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
lmaoing extremely hard reading previous pages of this thread as the swedish government is busy trying to save the markets having given up on containing the coronavirus. the tankies were right all along

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember Hong Kong, lol

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
this thread was like the only place on the english language internet calling HK protests a bougie reactionary uprising that meant nothing internationally or even within greater China

and it was right

got Tsai reelected tho :)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Modest Mao posted:

HK protest

Feels like you are talking about last decade's news.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Modest Mao posted:

this thread was like the only place on the english language internet calling HK protests a bougie reactionary uprising that meant nothing internationally or even within greater China

and it was right

Getting Tsai re-elected kinda was significant though?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1239821042589347840?s=19
https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1239822329737347073?s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

poor western media they really wanted coronavirus to be the next ughyur camps on the plus side viruses arent racist but on the negative side viruses arent racist

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

poor western media they really wanted coronavirus to be the next ughyur camps on the plus side viruses arent racist but on the negative side viruses arent racist

Malaria and typhoid are racist though. But, not viruses.
I guess viruses are woke?

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Throatwarbler posted:

at the end of the day being locked up for a week in the local police station isn't a massive life changing event for most people even if they do turn out to be innocent or not as guilty or whatever.

In the US, being locked in jail for a week or two absolutely is a massively life changing event, which is why people get so horrified at something like that (though with China's system of social credits, not sure if "not a massive life changing event" applies there either, even if you don't get a criminal record).

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ChipNDip posted:

In the US, being locked in jail for a week or two absolutely is a massively life changing event, which is why people get so horrified at something like that (though with China's system of social credits, not sure if "not a massive life changing event" applies there either, even if you don't get a criminal record).

Have you heard of the term “background check”?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

No you see credit rating companies are totally different and much less creepy than social credit because they are controlled by whoever bought the most shares and run for a profit motive.

Wait.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

Two things can in fact both be bad.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One thing can also be good

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1239962821732917251

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Modest Mao posted:

and it was right

dont worry lowtax might shoot himself in the foot again and create a second spooky specter

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ChipNDip posted:

i find it odd how youre acting as if being arbitrarily thrown in jail for a week or two in the united states is an unheard of event and there would be riots in the streets if this were a regular occurence

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Some Guy TT posted:

i find it odd how youre acting as if being arbitrarily thrown in jail for a week or two in the united states is an unheard of event and there would be riots in the streets if this were a regular occurence

Yeah, the public tends to be pacified when there's some sort of formal charge, or when the prisoner is free to talk to outsiders. If someone vanished for writing an anti-Trump op-ed it would probably cause a fuss.

If China's 'administrative detentions' were actually limited to two weeks or less, they would probably be less offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

i didn't read this thread since january and i'm getting whiplash from dumbass shitposters making GBS threads on china just a couple pages ago to them completely disappearing from the thread now lmao