Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

It was also the name of the demon in the Exorcist movies.
I don't think they dropped the name in the original, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it might have been mentioned in an extended cut.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Fish Called Selma is... interesting in retrospect, since it's one of the only times we see Troy as an actual character. You can see why he's so prolific; he's got that star quality of being ridiculous charismatic and charming despite not being the sharpest tool in the shed, which just means he'll do whatever gets him a paycheck, but his relationship with Selma is ambiguous- he is nothing but nice to her even before he realises he has something to gain from it, complete with lighting up a cigar to take the ire off her for smoking in the restaurant.

And while obviously the fish thing is played to be as bizarre as possible so there's no real equivalent, the way he acts around the idea of Selma's sexual expectations... looks a lot different with some modern awareness of asexuality and similar topics; he's basically being pressured into something he has no desire for and no idea how to to do, and his discomfort is pretty obvious.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

He also had a role in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

I got a laugh at the sign on the dump in the new episode so that's something. "50,000 seagulls can't be wrong!"

That actually feels like an Old Simpsons joke

Code Jockey posted:

He also had a role in Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Old Final Fantasy loooved putting Gods and Demons from ancient civilizations in their games. They still might, I just haven't played the new ones.

Hell I think Gilgamesh is a boss in either FF1 or 2.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Moon Monster posted:

I got a laugh at the sign on the dump in the new episode so that's something. "50,000 seagulls can't be wrong!"

Did they linger on it for 5 seconds so you absolutely wouldn't miss it, though?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Troy McClure’s implied ichthyophelia was truly ahead of its time, and would still be considered too risqué for many prime time comedies even today in 2020. It’s probably one of the funniest bits from the golden era, and oddly prescient

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Watched The Crepes of Wrath for the first time in a very very long time, my memory of it is so vague that I think that as a kid, I may have actively skipped it on the VHS my grandad taped a bunch of early Simpsons on. I still don't like it that much, there is good stuff in there; the golden years' absurdity and dark humour is definitely there in Adil being a spy and the jokes that stem from that. There's just nothing that funny about Bart's time in France, it's just too bleak without enough jokes to break up the seriousness of it.

The best joke in it is probably when Bart speaks French to the policeman, explains all the poo poo she's been through and the guy is like 'Antifreeze in the wine? That's very serious!'. Albania's main export being 'furious political thought' is also great.

An Albanian being a spy ages this episode tremendously.

Finally, while reading about this episode, I learned that in season 21 it's revealed that Agnes hates Principal Skinner because his kicking when he was in her womb cost her the chance to be an Olympic high-jumper. The ridiculous overuse of the same pool of characters and proliferation of backstory is very, very zombie Simpsons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"You mean all white with pink eyes?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Walton Simons posted:

Watched The Crepes of Wrath for the first time in a very very long time, my memory of it is so vague that I think that as a kid, I may have actively skipped it on the VHS my grandad taped a bunch of early Simpsons on. I still don't like it that much, there is good stuff in there; the golden years' absurdity and dark humour is definitely there in Adil being a spy and the jokes that stem from that. There's just nothing that funny about Bart's time in France, it's just too bleak without enough jokes to break up the seriousness of it.

The best joke in it is probably when Bart speaks French to the policeman, explains all the poo poo she's been through and the guy is like 'Antifreeze in the wine? That's very serious!'. Albania's main export being 'furious political thought' is also great.

Yeah, I watched Season 1 for the first time in like 20 years, a little while back, and that was the worst episode of season 1 by a long shot.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'd say Homer's Night Out and Homer's Odyssey are worse but they're all varying shades of not great.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Walton Simons posted:

The best joke in it is probably when Bart speaks French to the policeman

"...et ils ont donné mon chapeau rouge à l'âne!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bart and Homer specifically having the ability to pick up on a broad variety of languages is an underrated running gag.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bart and Homer specifically having the ability to pick up on a broad variety of languages is an underrated running gag.

Also telepathy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also telepathy.

Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Finally, while reading about this episode, I learned that in season 21 it's revealed that Agnes hates Principal Skinner because his kicking when he was in her womb cost her the chance to be an Olympic high-jumper. The ridiculous overuse of the same pool of characters and proliferation of backstory is very, very zombie Simpsons.

The episodes of any show where one character is subjected to a ton of cruelty that they don't deserve are usually some of the weakest ones. I could watch cartoon marathons as a kid, but the second I'd get one of those episodes of every kid show where one character is another character's "servant," I'd usually turn off the TV and do something else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Plan Z posted:

The episodes of any show where one character is subjected to a ton of cruelty that they don't deserve are usually some of the weakest ones. I could watch cartoon marathons as a kid, but the second I'd get one of those episodes of every kid show where one character is another character's "servant," I'd usually turn off the TV and do something else.

This really only works when the 'master' quickly comes to thoroughly regret it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Walton Simons posted:

So I guess principal and the pauper is now non canonical? Idgi

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

So I guess principal and the pauper is now non canonical? Idgi
They've also done one where Agnes hid Skinner's college acceptance letter, so yeah, they don't feel obligated to stick to Principal and the Pauper. They've actually directly declared it non-canon due to the backlash

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Daikloktos posted:

They've also done one where Agnes hid Skinner's college acceptance letter, so yeah, they don't feel obligated to stick to Principal and the Pauper. They've actually directly declared it non-canon due to the backlash

The Simpsons cannon read-as-written is entirely nonsense that demands you accept characters backstories are constantly shifting and morphing while leaving them arrested emotionally and chronologically forever. Of any cartoon, The Simpsons is the one most antagonistically opposed to the idea of “cannon”. I refuse to believe that anyone cares about the real timeline of the Simpsons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There's another episode where someone calls him Arman Tanzarian in an accusing tone. Even in the first few seasons they'd do things like have the power plant's parking lot back up to the Simpsons' backyard even though it was never like that before, just for one quick joke.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Plan Z posted:

The episode where Brainy Smurf declares himself Papa Smurf's "Dirty Nip Pig Slave" was rather unsettling.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Losing Vietnam Vet Skinner is the show's biggest crime

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Coming soon... Afghanistan era skinner

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Just going to skip Desert Storm are we?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
When I was a dumb baby I used to think that the sweet that the french policeman gave bart was some kind of magic lozenge which granted him french speaking like some videogame upgrade

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

There's another episode where someone calls him Arman Tanzarian in an accusing tone.
Lisa kept losing Snowballs until she was up to like VII and Skinner tried calling her out on a cheap out when she decides to just call them Snowball II so they don't have to get a new food dish

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The episode where Brainy Smurf declares himself Papa Smurf's "Dirty Nip Pig Slave" was rather unsettling.

It was probably the name of his Grindcore band, too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fingerless Gloves posted:

When I was a dumb baby I used to think that the sweet that the french policeman gave bart was some kind of magic lozenge which granted him french speaking like some videogame upgrade

Remember the episode where they were gonna give away Santa's Little Helper until he learned some obedience? When Bart spoke to SLH, it showed him interpreting it as gibberish. I used to think Bart figured out dog language which is how he understood English enough to be obedient.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

quote:

Some of Agnes' resentment to Seymour may have derived from even before Seymour was born—during the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Agnes competed in the pole vaulting event while 9-months pregnant.[4] When Seymour makes his first kick, he hits the bar, thus, making Agnes lose and subsequently crushing her dreams; this is probably why she is so harsh on Seymour.

It's somehow even worse than you described it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
that one sucked

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“What we should really do is give Agnes, one of our all-time worst and most tiresome characters, an extravagant and unlikely backstory!”

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ishikabibble posted:

It's somehow even worse than you described it.

what on earth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

“What we should really do is give Agnes, one of our all-time worst and most tiresome characters, an extravagant and unlikely backstory!”

Agnes can be funny when she's being especially absurd, like the book with pictures of cakes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/malteseanna/status/1240493781423538176?s=21

LMAO

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sophia Vergara was an Air Force vet implied to be on Afghanistan and was a substitute for Mrs. K, she shoots down Skinner at one point when he tries to bring up the armed forces.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bust Rodd posted:

What the hell, I love Agnes. Or rather, I love pre-zombie Simpsons Agnes.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

YeahTubaMike posted:

What the hell, I love Agnes. Or rather, I love pre-zombie Simpsons Agnes.

Same

IT MEANS LAMB! LAMB OF GOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I don't want you driving through tunnels. You know what that symbolises!