Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

They canx all elective surgery in my state.

I really don’t know who the docs are doing it at this point. I’m in CO for reference. It just feels careless to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer
Whelp. Iowa closed all the bars at noon, so now I have to pray that the liquor store has enough of what I drink so I can grab some before the weekend.

What hurts more though is my library closed and I had just signed up for a few classes there this month. :cry:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Youth Decay posted:

Wasn't Kansas the state that was already shortening their school year or going to 4-day weeks due to their brilliant "let's make taxes so low we can't afford public services anymore" plan?

Maaaaybe! After listening to the press conference the words between the lines from our governor sounded like “we can pay to fight the virus or we can pay to keep schools open, but we can’t effectively do both”

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Biohazard posted:

I really don’t know who the docs are doing it at this point. I’m in CO for reference. It just feels careless to me.

Getting ready

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Foam Monkey posted:

What hurts more though is my library closed and I had just signed up for a few classes there this month. :cry:

My library closed tonight. I went last night to pick up some interlibrary loan books I checked out, and the DVD section was shoulder to shoulder. Wow, forget social distancing to rummage through materials that any member of the general public can get their hands on.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ultimate Mango posted:

Gov of CA suggested that schools might not convene in person again this school year.

Y’all think the first few days have been crazy. This could be four whole months. Plus mandatory summer school (from home) to catch up when they realize we didn’t get enough learning in from home.

Nah, too expensive to put literally every child in every school district in summer school. The shut down isn't saving them any money, and it's not in the budget to hire all the teachers and support staff for extra months. If president bonespurs is right and the virus fades away in April then they'll try to tie up the end of the year, but otherwise they'll probably just be "welp, everybody passes."

They might do summer school for high school kids so they can do their exams and whatnot, but I doubt even affluent districts will bother trying to make all the elementary kids come in.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm seeing some people online suggesting that it would be better to let this burn through the population fast and hot, casualties be damned, than suffer the economic damage of an extended state of quarantine/restrictions. Is that just ghoulish capitalist greed talking, or a pragmatic strategy?

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

WaryWarren posted:

My library closed tonight. I went last night to pick up some interlibrary loan books I checked out, and the DVD section was shoulder to shoulder. Wow, forget social distancing to rummage through materials that any member of the general public can get their hands on.

I bet my library was pretty much the same. Plus with parents freaking out because they do a kid reading thing where they pretty much babysit for about two hours.

God bless Libby though. At least this way I can still have something new to read every now and then.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

AnnoyBot posted:

We need to start throwing architects at this and designing plague proof schools. We can't sacrifice a generation to 18 hours a day of youtube. I was hoping my society-shutting-down daydreams would be more "Hope and Glory" and less... this.

Like what would it take? Let's say nothing but concrete and stainless. 50 entrances. A cube per student with multiple 4k screens. Individual HVAC for each student. Everything purged with appropriate disinfectant any time a person passes through, like those urban self cleaning toilets. Each entrance fogged after each person enters/exits, which is why I specified a high #.

Am I crazy? Realistic scenarios are talking 18 months of this and there is just no way society can do that. No way. The data shows isolation works, but there's got to be a way to design around it and keep going.

So architect chiming in. I do think we have a big place to step up right now, but’s it’s in the healthcare sector (bias: I now work in the healthcare sector)

That said, I used to work in k-12 schools. I’ll tell you what I told parents about school shootings. There’s a lot we’re going to learn here, and we’re gonna make better choices, design schools better, and come up with new codes and requirements to make sure safety is ensured to a degree. But, that said, in the same way that we can’t and don’t want design schools like prisons, and we can’t afford to put bulletproof glass everywhere, we have some tough conversations coming up about how schools are designed, particularly from an infection control standpoint, and what costs make sense to us.

That means money though. I’ve done school projects for less than 150 bucks a sf. In healthcare it’s pretty typical for any sort of inpatient focus to run 500 or more a sf.

That said there’s plenty architects and the construction field can be doing go help figure things out and how to move faster and I hope we find a way to get engaged. There’s a group out of Boston called MASS design group that did a bunch of fascinating research on open air or other primitive setting hospitals in Africa and how to beat control disease in them. That research could be critical in helping set up mash style hospitals in the us.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

n8r posted:

Seriouspost:
Four year old with stay at home wife. They're pretty much self isolating at this point. The worst thing we're allowing to happen is riding his bike with a neighborhood kid. I've got parents who are quite healthy and 70. Should I allow them to see him in person? I'm 50/50 on it at this point. Compromise position is playing outside where Grandma and Grandma can talk about not spreading germs and doing their best to maintain distance. We're also thinking maybe just facetime for a couple of weeks.

I like the stories of visits where the oldsters stay indoors by a window and the visitors stay outside at least 6 feet away. That seems prudent and supportive. No physical contact, but still social contact. Y'all can sit and drink coffee and chat without worrying about having to douse anyone with lysol.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Getting ready

As in $$$?

Probably right

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Number_6 posted:

I'm seeing some people online suggesting that it would be better to let this burn through the population fast and hot, casualties be damned, than suffer the economic damage of an extended state of quarantine/restrictions. Is that just ghoulish capitalist greed talking, or a pragmatic strategy?

This would guarantee a much higher death rate if you take into consideration a) all the people that get denied a vent because they're old, dont have kids, or w/e, and b) all the non-covid hospitalizations that would get drummed out. We're talking people unable to get chemo and other life-saving treatments/procedures.

Example: that colonoscopy you had planned? Cancelled. Those few months you had to give you a fighting chance against colon cancer? Gone.

It's not pragmatic. It's making things ten times worse without much payoff. So yes it's just ghoulish capitalist greed.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 18, 2020

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Old Boot posted:

This would guarantee a much higher death rate if you take into consideration all the non-covid hospitalizations that would get drummed out. We're talking people unable to get chemo and other life-saving treatments/procedures.

That colonoscopy you had planned? Cancelled. Those few months you had to fix your colon cancer? Gone.

It's not pragmatic. It's making things ten times worse without much payoff. So yes it's just ghoulish capitalist greed.

On the other hand, it also cuts down on the thing nobody is thinking about : Exposure to tainted hospitals and other facilities. People are getting brought into hospitals unknowingly carrying The Coof and it's tainting places.

This thing gets into hospitals, old folks homes and other treatment centers and exposes people already at risk.

If you can avoid going to a doctor right now it'd be a drat good idea.

Is this going to put some people at risk? Unfortunately, yes. But there are a lot of people who would've been exposed who won't because of this.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
watching the florida primary results like

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Gearhead posted:

On the other hand, it also cuts down on the thing nobody is thinking about : Exposure to tainted hospitals and other facilities. People are getting brought into hospitals unknowingly carrying The Coof and it's tainting places.

This thing gets into hospitals, old folks homes and other treatment centers and exposes people already at risk.

If you can avoid going to a doctor right now it'd be a drat good idea.

Is this going to put some people at risk? Unfortunately, yes. But there are a lot of people who would've been exposed who won't because of this.

What? How?

Hospitals are already trying to restructure to allow for fever clinics kept separate from regular hospitals, for the sole purpose of keeping this from happening. Letting the virus burn fast and hot just guarantees that we wont be able to manage that in time, we'll just be running in pure survival mode.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nah, too expensive to put literally every child in every school district in summer school. The shut down isn't saving them any money, and it's not in the budget to hire all the teachers and support staff for extra months. If president bonespurs is right and the virus fades away in April then they'll try to tie up the end of the year, but otherwise they'll probably just be "welp, everybody passes."

They might do summer school for high school kids so they can do their exams and whatnot, but I doubt even affluent districts will bother trying to make all the elementary kids come in.

So most kids ends up half a year behind for the rest of school? Makes sense. The changes that will ripple through the curriculum for years will be fascinating.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Old Boot posted:

What? How?

Hospitals are already trying to restructure to allow for fever clinics kept separate from regular hospitals, for the sole purpose of keeping this from happening. Letting the virus burn fast and hot just guarantees that we wont be able to manage that in time, we'll just be running in pure survival mode.

I think I misread your response to the earlier post as complaining about hospitals trying to cut back on non-essential services to make way for the flood.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The bees were the warning

Im 50 and seriously remember seeing at least 20 times the bees around, all types, my first 30 years than I did these last 20.
It always made me uneasy af to see them dead on the sidewalk

So many of us are going to die. I was going to date again maybe, and write. Now, who knows, much more doubtful. Those of you losing your jobs it is atrociously awful -- but if you are young you will be ok, you WILL. Stop smoking and vaping right loving now tho, ok? It matters, and look ahead. Another one of these may happen again in 10 years

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Is that arcgis data right? We're at 4% mortality rate? It jumped over a percent?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Philthy posted:

Is that arcgis data right? We're at 4% mortality rate? It jumped over a percent?

Italy is a bloodbath.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Philthy posted:

Italy's death toll plus untested cases are going to skew things pretty drastically for a while.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Number_6 posted:

For many of the people suggesting it it seems pragmatic. Many of them can be talked out of it if you point out the problems with that approach. I did this with my dad Sunday. He is still not taking it seriously enough in my opinion but everything he and my mom are doing is to help people so it is hard to argue with taking care of kids whose parents have to work.

The advantage is the economic impact would probably be lessened. Downside the death toll skyrockets and we get non-stop footage of people left to die outside of hospitals due to shortages of manpower and equipment. This is the Boris Johnson approach.

Trump: We should stick our fingers in our ears, close our eyes, and hope this goes away so I can be reelected without having to do anything.

People: This is horrible! We are all going to die! No one could be a more incompetent leader.

Boris Johnson: Wait....what if we deliberately tried to infect everyone all at once. Hold my beer!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Number_6 posted:

It's insanity. Our healthcare system cannot handle that at all. It will be hard pressed to handle this even with people taking proper distancing measures.

The economic damage is going to be terrible too, but that is at least something that the government could in theory mitigate with the right approach. Unfortunately we have loving morons in charge.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Old Boot posted:

Italy's death toll plus untested cases are going to skew things pretty drastically for a while.

Jesus, just looked at the Italy numbers. 8% mortality.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bronze Fonz posted:

Is it too late to call it Coronapalooza?

I am the great Coronaholio! I need TP for my bunghole!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ginette Reno posted:

It's insanity. Our healthcare system cannot handle that at all. It will be hard pressed to handle this even with people taking proper distancing measures.

The economic damage is going to be terrible too, but that is at least something that the government could in theory mitigate with the right approach. Unfortunately we have loving morons in charge.

There was an article put out with death projections if we didn't do anything and basically the amount of deaths (and way of dying) would likely cause generational trauma.

Whoops quoted wrong post.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Philthy posted:

My god

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Italy has been extremely up front about the fatalities caused by triage and not trying to hide deaths under other causes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Well, we got a West Virginia case. I think that makes all 50.

Great job everyone!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Philthy posted:

8% of cases confirmed by test. That could mean it's actually 8%, or it could be anything, like 0.01%, depending on the ratio of actual infections to infections confirmed by test.

Unfortunately it's probably a lot higher than 0.01%

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Number_6 posted:

It'll probably end up being a hybrid approach most places. A compromise between throwing vulnerable people to the wolves and bankrupting everyone by shutting down everything for 18+ months.

Shut down everything for a few weeks or months to sort poo poo out. Ramping up production on essential medical supplies. Converting available spaces into second rate treatment centers. Figuring out the best treatment protocols, like that potential Hydroxychloroquine treatment that seems quite likely to help you survive the virus and get well faster, may even have a prophylactic effect for people who don't have the virus yet, but also makes some people blind. Then open most everything back up with the understanding that community transmissions are inevitable.

Ultimately we're probably going to end up quarantining the vulnerable for 2 years while we wait for a vaccine rather than enforcing extreme social distancing for everyone. Supporting all the transplant recipients, cancer survivors, folks with autoimmune disorders, and so on who won't be able to work or go out in public would be expensive, but still cheaper than supporting ALL the workers who can't work from home.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Number_6 posted:

What if we do what Denmark is going for; allow those not at risk to continue about their normal lives, while strictly quarantining the elderly or those with comorbidities? Then the virus runs through the healthy population, with a relatively low mortality rate, and we hopefully develop heard immunity and after a few weeks the elderly can come out of quarantine with a pretty high level of confidence that most of the population are not carriers.

This does assume post infection you develop long term immunity. I can think of some drawbacks to this mostly stemming from uncertainty around the long term consequences of exposure to the virus but I do think it’s an interesting approach

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ultimate Mango posted:

So most kids ends up half a year behind for the rest of school? Makes sense. The changes that will ripple through the curriculum for years will be fascinating.

Apparently that's what we'll be doing in BC. All the kids who were on track to pass are getting passed to the next grade. All the 12th grade kids who passed their 10th grade numeracy assessment get to graduate. They are trying to do other stuff and get some distance learning up, but the bottom line is everybody passes.

They probably won't even try to make it all up. Things like math where one principal builds on the previous stuff will have to be covered, but other stuff from that 3 months of classes won't exist. If you were supposed to learn stuff like how WWII ended or how the Supreme Court works in the next 3 months, welp, you'll just have to figure it out for yourself. :shrug:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

hobbez posted:

What if we do what Denmark is going for; allow those not at risk to continue about their normal lives, while strictly quarantining the elderly or those with comorbidities? Then the virus runs through the healthy population, with a relatively low mortality rate, and we hopefully develop heard immunity and after a few weeks the elderly can come out of quarantine with a pretty high level of confidence that most of the population are not carriers.

This does assume post infection you develop long term immunity. I can think of some drawbacks to this mostly stemming from uncertainty around the long term consequences of exposure to the virus but I do think it’s an interesting approach

It might work but you run into the problem of how to strictly quarantine the vulnerable in a liberal society without needing police state levels of enforcement. The elderly have also shown (at least in America) that they just don't care. You also hit a lot of problems when the vulnerable have dependents. Do you quarantine mom and put the kids in foster care? Quarantine the kids with mom and let them go stir crazy? With a sane government that the population trusts acting decisively it might work.

It would not work in the USA and I doubt you could make it work in most of Europe either.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

They probably won't even try to make it all up. Things like math where one principal builds on the previous stuff will have to be covered, but other stuff from that 3 months of classes won't exist. If you were supposed to learn stuff like how WWII ended or how the Supreme Court works in the next 3 months, welp, you'll just have to figure it out for yourself. :shrug:

Responsible teachers should have this covered and make sure to finish up quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-aw4yfVZNg

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xenocides posted:

It might work but you run into the problem of how to strictly quarantine the vulnerable in a liberal society without needing police state levels of enforcement. The elderly have also shown (at least in America) that they just don't care. You also hit a lot of problems when the vulnerable have dependents. Do you quarantine mom and put the kids in foster care? Quarantine the kids with mom and let them go stir crazy? With a sane government that the population trusts acting decisively it might work.

It would not work in the USA and I doubt you could make it work in most of Europe either.

Shut down ICE, convert all their detention centers to Safety Centers to inter the vulnerable "for their own good".

Oops, the cut rate food suppliers accidently infected everyone. Oh well.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Facebook Aunt posted:

Shut down everything for a few weeks or months to sort poo poo out.

Hoooo boy, yeah.

Go look up the aftershock resurgence of the 1918 pandemic and get back to me on that one.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 18, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm behind the times on this stuff since I took a break from reading about it, but now that I'm back I'm reading stuff online that says covid-19 gives you brain damage, too, or something and now they estimate that 40-70% of everyone in the US or world is going to catch it?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I don't think you'd notice much difference :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dannywilson posted:

Hoooo boy, yeah.

Go look up the aftershock resurgence of the 1918 pandemic and get back to me on that one.

Yep.