Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

naeka posted:

People at work asking me about go bags and things and I'm like how do you not have one already?? I'm not sure how great it is for my longterm mental health that my paranoid prepper mentality is being validated.

Generally speaking of cause that mentality would be validated in times like this as it would in any natural or otherwise disaster. It's still not completely rational depending on how hardcore you go into it when times are normal. It's just time and effort spent on essentially a hobby then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I mean I packed five of the loving things during bushfire season so I feel like I can do it drunk and blindfolded now but also I moved out to the middle of buttfuck nowhere specifically so if something like this happened I wouldn’t need to go anywhere so I’m just chilling on my throne of pumpkins

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just realised I kind of have a go bag but it's basically just my camping bag

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

McSpergin posted:

I just realised I kind of have a go bag but it's basically just my camping bag

Same but it’s anything with an Apple logo on it and the cat.. probs some broccoli and coffee too I *guess*

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Mine is mostly camping equipment, so some firelighters, my jet stove, camp cooking equipment, swag, tent etc. Need to top up gas canisters but I'm not planning on the full scale collapse of society

If it comes to that I'll be taking bets on how long some of our politicians will last lmao

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

My local chemist offers sick certs now, wonder how well that will go down with the boss.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

McSpergin posted:

Mine is mostly camping equipment, so some firelighters, my jet stove, camp cooking equipment, swag, tent etc. Need to top up gas canisters but I'm not planning on the full scale collapse of society

If it comes to that I'll be taking bets on how long some of our politicians will last lmao

This is mostly normal I think. I have all that too in my old army trunk. I wouldn't say I'm a prepper.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

stirlo posted:

Same but it’s anything with an Apple logo on it and the cat.. probs some broccoli and coffee too I *guess*

gently caress, I forgot to get enough coffee to get me through working from home.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I found some offbrand pina colada mix which took the arvo in a surprisinly pleasant direction

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I went through a phase where I thought prepping was an interesting hobby and I read a few books on it and they were all lunatics. I tried to find an author who isn’t insane and failed

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Severing posted:

My local chemist offers sick certs now, wonder how well that will go down with the boss.

Apperently JPs can sign sick certs

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I went through a phase where I thought prepping was an interesting hobby and I read a few books on it and they were all lunatics. I tried to find an author who isn’t insane and failed

Likewise.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Severing posted:

Our enterprise agreement means that the boss has to accept sick certs from all sorts, including acupuncturists, traditional chinese medicine people and chiropractors.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I've heard of a few people who are going to claim they need to self-isolate so they can get a paid two week break from work.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
real estate agents are literally the devil

‘You need to inform your rental manager if you travel overseas or come into contact with a confirmed case ’ lmao no they don’t you loving parasite nice government website link tho

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

we rent off of a family member so lol at dealing with a real estate. The biggest cokehead scumbags known to man.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I inspected a property yesterday and half the house was behind a locked door. Like if you just want me to just imagine what the rooms are like I could have stayed at home and done that

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sometimes they cant even get the front door unlocked as if that isnt their entire professional function

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Always remember: if real estate agents had a capable bone in their body they would have done more with themselves than become a real estate agent

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Property managers deserve the level of contempt which was once reserved for insurance and used car salesmen.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
More and more poo poo at school is being canned either for the time being or forever. Until the government decides we're done though we have to keep doing our job. I'd like to see how their arguements stack up when the holidays arrive in a few weeks cause I can't imagine the school holidays and all schools being shut will affect the number of health care workers who turn up to work given that a large majority of nurses and doctors work shift work and not the normal 9-5 which they surely have arrangements in place for to care for their children.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Me putting on clown makeup:

"I reckon that my local place hasn't been too bad"

Clown makeup on
Went to woolies in Menai, half the shelves empty
Went to Aldi in Menai, similar situation

Even the freezers etc, I couldn't even get the veggie burgers that I like and have for brekky of a weekend

My Mrs is gonna check the woolies near hers because she's in a fairly sri Lankan and indian suburb so said it hasn't been too bad

Scored a 5kg bag of basmati (which I actually use a fair bit) and did the needful and bought a couple bags of hash browns and frozen wedges. Tried to buy 2 passata and 2 tomato paste and allegedly they're the same loving thing

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Guys I'm gonna give some professional advice

Don't waste your money on the Kogan projectors. Garbage operating hardware that fails to boot half the time, poo poo opticals.

5/10, buy a viewsonic LED

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

McSpergin posted:

Don't waste your money on the Kogan projectors. Garbage operating hardware that fails to boot half the time, poo poo opticals.

5/10, buy a viewsonic LED

I'm currently upgrading my classroom from a rather ancient viewsonic projector to a 65" TV. The projector makes it nearly impossible to teach CAD as the kids cant acutally see what you're doing. The only reason I got a TV so large as a screen was because it cost the same as last years 55" effort.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Landlord called us up the other day and told us to pay half rent for the time being. I couldn't believe it

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

More and more poo poo at school is being canned either for the time being or forever. Until the government decides we're done though we have to keep doing our job. I'd like to see how their arguements stack up when the holidays arrive in a few weeks cause I can't imagine the school holidays and all schools being shut will affect the number of health care workers who turn up to work given that a large majority of nurses and doctors work shift work and not the normal 9-5 which they surely have arrangements in place for to care for their children.

The reports I saw were saying that when the school closures happen it will be for at least 6 months and many students will need to repeat their current year.

They also talked about the buildings staying open and being repurposed to provide supervision of kids whose parents must work but who have no childcare options.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Lolie posted:

The reports I saw were saying that when the school closures happen it will be for at least 6 months and many students will need to repeat their current year.

They also talked about the buildings staying open and being repurposed to provide supervision of kids whose parents must work but who have no childcare options.

I've seen both of those arguements but I honestly wouldn't mind if the school was kept open for children who don't any other legitimate options. I also wouldn;t mind if teachers still have to turn up to keep working and run classes online for a while. Regardless of what happens I have online classrooms for all of my classes and from today onwards they have at least 3 teachers assigned to them as a just in case measure. If they shut schools tomorrow with a full poo poo down of other stuff as seen overseas they'd probably see a massive reduction in the transmission curve because all of the current reactions are based of cases that started happening and where transmitted a week or two ago.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Woman at work has a kid in grade 2 and her school told her she might have to homeschool him when they shut down and she's panicking because she "can't spell or write or do maths or any of that sciencey stuff. I'll just be showing him how to do art and I'm not even very good at that."

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Landlord called us up the other day and told us to pay half rent for the time being. I couldn't believe it

it sounds like he saw the future guillotines flashing before his eyes and is trying to repent

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If you think you need to self-isolate and are contagious, be sure to tell your property manager/landlord in person.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Airstream Driver posted:

Woman at work has a kid in grade 2 and her school told her she might have to homeschool him when they shut down and she's panicking because she "can't spell or write or do maths or any of that sciencey stuff. I'll just be showing him how to do art and I'm not even very good at that."

what does she do for a job? let me guess, upper management?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Non-asthmatic Karens are hoarding ventolin now.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Tried to buy 2 passata and 2 tomato paste and allegedly they're the same loving thing

i bought a bag of peas, a bag of corn and some potato gems and it told me off.
potato gems are french fries, not a vegetable!

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Tokamak posted:

i bought a bag of peas, a bag of corn and some potato gems and it told me off.
potato gems are french fries, not a vegetable!

Which one did you put back?

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

McSpergin posted:

Don't waste your money on the Kogan

Enough said. I made the mistake of buying a mattress from Kogan which gave me hip pain as it was like sleeping on a concrete floor. The springs were super stiff and the amount of padding on them nowhere near what the imagery suggests. They even go as far as to sow a fake "pillow top" looking stitching around the outside of them that bares no resemblance to the padding it contains. Needless to say, said pain went away as soon as I bought a decent mattress.

When I complained about their poor quality I was told in no uncertain terms I'll never get my money back. Anyone I talk to has similar experiences especially with their own shoddy no-name and self-name brand products.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If you think you need to self-isolate and are contagious, be sure to tell your property manager/landlord in person.

These voyeuristic leaches on society deserve a place in hell with used cars salesmen.

What is up with just being able to walk around the place you live every 3 months taking a million photos of everything. How is this not some kind of privacy issue at some point.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

Which one did you put back?

i scanned the third item in a separate transaction 👀

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Severing posted:

Enough said. I made the mistake of buying a mattress from Kogan which gave me hip pain as it was like sleeping on a concrete floor. The springs were super stiff and the amount of padding on them nowhere near what the imagery suggests. They even go as far as to sow a fake "pillow top" looking stitching around the outside of them that bares no resemblance to the padding it contains. Needless to say, said pain went away as soon as I bought a decent mattress.

When I complained about their poor quality I was told in no uncertain terms I'll never get my money back. Anyone I talk to has similar experiences especially with their own shoddy no-name and self-name brand products.

I literally just got it because the bulb blew in my good viewsonic but I'm thinking at this point why not just get a decent new LED viewsonic. They do a good DLP mini for about $500 now whereas my dlp bulb one was about $1000 years ago

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

fibre supplements/metamucil are/is a godsend during these strange times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Shamelessly stealing this from someone:

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms

Take paracetamol apparently if you catch it.