Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm constantly washing my hands. When I'm out I really have trouble not touching my face/head though. It's like immediately I try and think "don't touch your face" I get an itch or a tickle. Sort of like that dumb thing where you have to eat a donut without licking your lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have too much hair to not touch my face and I'm not cutting it off. So I'm just going to get lurgy at some point.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

I'm constantly washing my hands. When I'm out I really have trouble not touching my face/head though. It's like immediately I try and think "don't touch your face" I get an itch or a tickle. Sort of like that dumb thing where you have to eat a donut without licking your lips.
Wear gloves! Disposable gloves or winter gloves or whatever, you'll be hyper aware of your hands and not want to touch yourself

Or just like smear your hands in poo poo, that'll help with social distancing too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of us are used to working with hands smeared in poo poo and still touch everything anyway.

I also still do it with gloves on.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Jippa posted:

Paris is starting to look like 28 days later.

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1240200126859182081

One of the strangest things about being forced to do a French GCSE at school is that, despite not speaking a word for over a decade, I can still somehow muddle through douments like that.

I'm loving "a brief walk near the house with my animal companion" being a reason to break isolation.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I didnlt realise what an incredibly itchy face I have until I couldn't give it a good old scratch. I used a bit of twig to scratch when I was walking the dog last night, and poked myself in the eye with it. Is this right?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

I have too much hair to not touch my face and I'm not cutting it off. So I'm just going to get lurgy at some point.

Murdered by your own vanity.

Regarding that Reuters article, of stainless steel is so good at keeping the nasty virus active why are all those big posh professional kitchens not made of cardboard?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1240228080003821568?s=20

When I was doing my PhD and the internet was a new born babe with only 33kbps, I was essentially working from home except on Fridays.
Within a couple of weeks I realized that I MUST NOT turn the tv on before 6pm unless it was the weekend, a bank holiday or I was officially sick.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

One might suggest that 1) cardboard isn't very durable, and 2) stainless steel is incredibly easy to clean

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Murdered by your own vanity.

Regarding that Reuters article, of stainless steel is so good at keeping the nasty virus active why are all those big posh professional kitchens not made of cardboard?

Steel + bleach > cardboard + nothing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was doing my PhD and the internet was a new born babe with only 33kbps, I was essentially working from home except on Fridays.
Within a couple of weeks I realized that I MUST NOT turn the tv on before 6pm unless it was the weekend, a bank holiday or I was officially sick.

My mum does nothing but watch those godawful property shows and I'm sure it's rotting her brain.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Pfft, I got a Phd AND a comprehensive knowledge of Quincy, Bullseye and Deep Space Nine.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

RockyB posted:

One of the strangest things about being forced to do a French GCSE at school is that, despite not speaking a word for over a decade, I can still somehow muddle through douments like that.

I'm loving "a brief walk near the house with my animal companion" being a reason to break isolation.

It's because they hammer you with vocabulary. Actually speaking is much harder. I can understand a few keywords as well but I can't hold any sort of proper conversation outside of asking directions.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

bornbytheriver posted:

Could you, good folks, elucidate the pea brains: one thing I can't get to grips with after having listened to Sir Patrick Vallance yesterday talking about if we get away with 20000 deaths in the UK, although horrible would be a good outcome. There's less than 8000 worldwide deaths at the moment. What's he basing that number on?

they're talking long-term projected totals and assuming that the virus cannot be contained and will keep breaking out and sweeping across the country, hence the influenza-flavoured excess death totals.

note that this calculation gives the 2014 and 2017 influenza outbreaks more than 20k excess deaths

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

TACD posted:

A good number of people are going to start taking this seriously and/or get really hilariously angry over this:

https://twitter.com/pa/status/1240216862161543175

Now I like Coronovirus!

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

elbkaida posted:

I think there are a lot of assumptions in there on how much undetected virus spread has already happened but if you look at the curve of infections and deaths in china you'll see deaths peak about 1-2 weeks after the infections with a daily rate of deaths about twice what the rate was at peak infections. Italy has hopefully about peaked in terms of cases so take the current deaths/day in Italy times two for a few more days you get quite a scary number.

It's completely unclear how that translates to the UK because we're not testing that much at the moment but a scenario with 20000 deaths is not complete disaster fiction unfortunately. There are a lot of cases in which it won't come to pass though so there's still hope IMO

Thank you, this is good to know.

Also, many thanks to Red Oktober and sassassin for their posts.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can see it now, a post Covid soundbite from the Tory benches:

"a huge decline in food banks since this time last year!"

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the later revised estimate was an order of magnitude higher than 20k, of course

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It really was a beautiful thing to behold.

https://twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1240241395409080321

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Today I learned that the BBC presumably makes a Welsh language soap opera.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Let's see what a landlord feels about someone asking for a £100 decrease in their rent temporarily while this is all going on.

This is what the landlord themselves thought was a reasonable response.

This isn't me, this is what a landlord posted himself to show how unreasonable tenants are being right now.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My local doctors are doing prescriptions through their office window out to the car park and you are only allowed in the waiting room if you have an appointment. Seemed very sensible. I'm glad I didn't have to touch any door handles.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Today I learned that the BBC presumably makes a Welsh language soap opera.

Yes, Pobol Y Cwm - People of the Valley. It's been going for centuries.
(irrelevant info: Back when Channel 4 first started, if you lived in Wales you were stuck with S4C - all welsh language.)
ed actually not irrelevant, it was on S4C originally - well BBC Wales before that. Oh never mind, I'm sure you don't care!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 18, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/labour-mps-alarmed-covid-19-laws-being-passed-without-vote

I'm sure we can trust the Tories not to sneak anything draconian into new legislation... Oh wait, two year duration... No review... And extending mental health detentions as a nice little add on.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

My mum does nothing but watch those godawful property shows and I'm sure it's rotting her brain.
I've seen bits and pieces of them but my favourite moment in one of these was an episode where the show featured someone who bought a house cheap with the intention of renovating it as a passion project and he would later move his family in there.

The show just broke down and fell apart. The presenters and the narrator had absolutely no idea how to deal with this because the show was all about flipping properties. They even brought on the estate agents to assess the new value of the house. A house that the owner specifically and repeatedly said was not available to the market because its where he intended to settle down.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tsietisin posted:

Let's see what a landlord feels about someone asking for a £100 decrease in their rent temporarily while this is all going on.

This isn't me, this is what a landlord posted himself to show how unreasonable tenants are being right now.

Hang all landlords, even my mam.

I know it outs me as an elitist middle class snob but gently caress me, there seems to often be a strong inverse correlation between how much of a oval office people are and their ability to communicate properly.

When you're chatting poo poo with your mates obviously talk/type however you want but when you're in a business relationship or a landlord situation I'm always shocked by the poor standard of many people's written English.

Source: recently got shafted by someone on some roofing work and their emails got less and less coherent each time I asked for an itemised breakdown of costs.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, Pobol Y Cwm - People of the Valley. It's been going for centuries.
(irrelevant info: Back when Channel 4 first started, if you lived in Wales you were stuck with S4C - all welsh language.)
ed actually not irrelevant, it was on S4C originally - well BBC Wales before that. Oh never mind, I'm sure you don't care!

Is Rownd a Rownd going to be okay? :ohdear:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

I've seen bits and pieces of them but my favourite moment in one of these was an episode where the show featured someone who bought a house cheap with the intention of renovating it as a passion project and he would later move his family in there.

The show just broke down and fell apart. The presenters and the narrator had absolutely no idea how to deal with this because the show was all about flipping properties. They even brought on the estate agents to assess the new value of the house. A house that the owner specifically and repeatedly said was not available to the market because its where he intended to settle down.

The thing about those shows though is that the value might have gone up but there's no indication of how much the market in general has risen in the locality which might represent a substantial element of the increase.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Nothing is inherently necessary of itself. The suggestion of necessity begs the question,

what condition would it be "absolutely necessary" for?

It's not necessary that I get out of bed, but it is necessary to do so in order to not piss my sheets.

There's a huge blank left here that they're hoping we somehow just fill. These measures won't be used unless absolutely necessary for what?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Wear gloves! Disposable gloves or winter gloves or whatever, you'll be hyper aware of your hands and not want to touch yourself
______\

Tsietisin posted:

And there's proof that landlordism is an inherently abusive relationship.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Is Rownd a Rownd going to be okay? :ohdear:

I doubt it. I'm sure Corrie, Emmerdale and the rest will all be following suit soon.
(NB - I don't watch any soaps. My more intellectually superior viewing consists of Ancient Aliens, Law and Order (SVU, Criminal Intent, Original), Star Trek Original, CSI (any version), NCIS (any version).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Azza Bamboo posted:

Nothing is inherently necessary of itself. The suggestion of necessity begs the question,

what condition would it be "absolutely necessary" for?

It's not necessary that I get out of bed, but it is necessary to do so in order to not piss my sheets.

There's a huge blank left here that they're hoping we somehow just fill. These measures won't be used unless absolutely necessary for what?

Post-brexit civil unrest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you tried Criminal Minds?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

So while this study is correct it’s also good to realize it’s an upper-bound in ideal lan scenarios. It’s not likely to last as long outside of those situations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
love to blame my tenants for their boiler breaking down

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/labour-mps-alarmed-covid-19-laws-being-passed-without-vote

I'm sure we can trust the Tories not to sneak anything draconian into new legislation... Oh wait, two year duration... No review... And extending mental health detentions as a nice little add on.

That twat from the spectator who screenshots other people’s work and tries to pass it off as his own was absolutely doing his nut over this this morning, it’s like the right wing press are both for it on principle, but are aware the boomers who buy their shitrags are absolutely against being made to be even mildly inconvenienced in any way.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sebzilla posted:

Hang all landlords, even my mam.

I know it outs me as an elitist middle class snob but gently caress me, there seems to often be a strong inverse correlation between how much of a oval office people are and their ability to communicate properly.

When you're chatting poo poo with your mates obviously talk/type however you want but when you're in a business relationship or a landlord situation I'm always shocked by the poor standard of many people's written English.

Source: recently got shafted by someone on some roofing work and their emails got less and less coherent each time I asked for an itemised breakdown of costs.

I feel in the case of the above it’s because they don’t really give a poo poo. It’s not a professional arrangement to them, the landlord clearly thinks they’re acting out of charity.

Because what’s more charitable than immediately resorting to veiled threats against someone’s place of shelter?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Have you tried Criminal Minds?

No! I thought it was a reality one (I don't do 'reality' cop shows.) Shall have a look for it.

Isolation news:

I was thinking how much different my life will be if I need to self-isolate (I don't think I have the virus after all or maybe I've had it already), - erm, not much.

Not seeing family (half my family are self isolating because of asthma, COPD, being 82 and various other co-morbidities)

Missing my 60th birthday meal which was to be in a local restaurant with a few family - maybe that might still happen though I doubt it - and the next day a lunch with a handful of old school friends who live locally (which I cancelled yesterday to stop people worrying about letting me down).

Other than that, having worked from home (or dawdled about) for over 12 years now, I can occupy my time!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you like all the others you will probably like criminal minds, it's a cop show based around FBI psychological profilers so if you like the psycho killer type baddies you'll probably like that show. Quite similar to lawnorder svu and CSI, not any more reality based than they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Glastonbury is off (unsurprising, but now confirmed)