Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
If nothing else I have to say I'm impressed with everyone's solidarity in blaming ITS for their complete lack of continuity planning.

I just sat through emergency meeting where people literally pointed fingers at us and said it's our fault they don't have an actual isolation room from which they can communicate with and service customers.
The statement is as impressively bold as it is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oh hey, I'm in home isolation for 2+ weeks. loving grand.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Time for my wfm tips. Get a dog. You’ll need him to bounce ideas off of. Have door pants so you can get delivery and not be the weird guy in boxers. Always have a collared shirt ready for video conference. Green screen your background so you can pretend your at a beach or something.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I should get a green screen and make the background some hospital scene :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just sat through emergency meeting where people literally pointed fingers at us and said it's our fault they don't have an actual isolation room from which they can communicate with and service customers.

Well?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I feel like servicing customers isn't very good for social distancing.

Also illegal in most states.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I feel like servicing customers isn't very good for social distancing.

Also illegal in most states.

Yeah but the prices are real low right now.

uh, so I hear

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Wibla posted:

Oh hey, I'm in home isolation for 2+ weeks. loving grand.

3 weeks WFH for me as the SF Bay area shuts down... and I just found out that someone I had dinner with on Sunday has a close coworker who now has a fever and a cough. No confirmation on if they have COVID-19 yet, but one degree (and a few days) of separation has me antsy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You're going to get it, maybe not from this exposure, but most of us likely are going to get it at some point in the coming months.

You just have to do your best to try to not pass it to someone else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My powerful temple of a perfect body has already defeated the rona a thousand times over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

My powerful temple of a perfect body has already defeated the rona a thousand times over.

Pfft, must not be much of an immune system if you managed to get it one thousand times.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Pfft, must not be much of an immune system if you managed to get it one thousand times.

poo poo.

vvv why

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 18, 2020

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Pretty sure clam down only dates asian girls too, he loving loves anime

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Best I could do was stick them in a room behind bullet proof glass and wish them good luck.
They seemed eerily okay with this idea :sigh:

On a better note, someone had a genius idea of turning one of the small conference rooms into a small office for someone to work and answer our new "holy gently caress" hotline to put the public's fears at rest. It's a bullshit job but Police Dispatch needs somewhere to transfer the panicked masses to in order to get them off the line to deal with real emergencies.
People are calling to report hand sanitizer outages to the police apparently.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

boy did we pick the wrong time to attempt a migration to a new firewall device at the same time as a new VPN device at the same time as trying to migrate our email to the cloud and set up a new enterprise 2factor solution. at least our hastily prepared work from home policies are stuck in bureaucratic quagmire so nobody will ever know none of this will ever work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s the Goon IT Thread Discord or Slack?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

What’s the Goon IT Thread Discord or Slack?

https://join.slack.com/t/somethingawfulitgoons/shared_invite/zt-8xixxar7-4_miJVqB6K7NZ_fe9G~rgw

orange sky
May 7, 2007

If someone has lost or think they're losing their job, my company (a vendor) is hiring across the world for pretty much everything (and all of it is remote for now). If you're in a tight spot feel free to PM me and I'll let you know the open positions.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
nevermind, I can't read

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

Hookers have dropped their price though. You don’t kiss hookers anyway.

Kissing is OK, just don't hug or shake hands.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

evobatman posted:

Kissing is OK, just don't hug or shake hands.

Suddenly a huge surge in glory hole usage is reported.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Most of our userbase were already set up to work from home occasionally and only a small portion need to access anything over a VPN so so far (touch wood) it's been quiet for us.
Our sister company though has a culture of nobody ever working from home and everything is on-prem. Most people don't have laptops and it seems like there's a run on Dells just now and you can't get a Latitude for love nor money anywhere in Europe. So glad it's not my problem.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I will say that the more I use Teams, the more I like it.

Quite the opposite experience to Skype for Business.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

How are recruiters still sniffing around? Is anyone willing to change jobs now?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

:hfive:

I am, although it is going back to a former healthcare company that reached out.

My current job is crappy enough, and the pay raise is significant enough that I'm willing to roll the dice. I'm relatively young and single. If I had a family to feed than things might be different.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Suddenly a huge surge in glory hole usage is reported.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Most of our userbase were already set up to work from home occasionally and only a small portion need to access anything over a VPN so so far (touch wood) it's been quiet for us.

You two should meet up.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I am!

Mainly because I put in extended notice before the world went totally tits up and the new company is being a little nebulous about the situation. Mainly CYA as I think I'll have a landing spot still but drat if this doesn't suck a little bit

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Haha, nope! Perfectly fine in my pod, especially given my seniority.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm sure they probably are because they want to actually work right now, the question is if they are going to be successful in placing anyone?

It's going to be dependent on the company and a number of factors.

1) How agile are they in moving to remote work which affects their ability to do normal ops at this time
2) What's their industry and is it going to get hit hard from this (or possibly see a boon from it).
3) What their labor demands actually are in a new world (will this kill certain products or services but cause an increase in demand for others.)

Our company is largely "business as usual" we had a significant number of remote workers having closed most of our remote offices last year and sending those folks to 100% WFH. There was still a sizable increase in remote resource use when the corporate office closed, but so far the infrastructure has weathered it. That said, we obviously aren't hiring receptionists or security personnel anytime soon.

If you are still getting a paycheck, I would be very hesitant to look to jump right now unless it's really obvious your company isn't going to be paying you at some point over the next 6 months and you run across an opportunity that's a slam dunk of being more secure. There's going to be a lot of talent flooding the market in the next 6 months from failed/shrunk companies, any company that can defer hiring will since they are going to have a lot better selection then.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 18, 2020

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I’m in the end stages of a long interview process (waiting on an offer now) for a two step title bump and a ~50% raise, so hell yes I’m still working at this. I still have other recruiters reaching out, but I’m generally ignoring them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Recruiters get paid for placing folks. They want to continue to get paid too. Of course they are still sniffing around. :iiam:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I've got a good job lead right now because of a recruiter, and I'm thankful, but I always get salespeople vibes off of them, and it creeps me out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've got a good job lead right now because of a recruiter, and I'm thankful, but I always get salespeople vibes off of them, and it creeps me out.

They are salesmen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Man. People are asking for some really crazy poo poo with their phones.
Everyone gets a cell phone and they want to be able to forward any line from any desk phone in the system by themselves just by calling in from their cell phone.

That's totally not a thing. I don't know what the gently caress gave these people all the idea that it was a thing, but everyone is REALLY rear end on their shoulders about playing switchboard operator just by using DTMF from a phone outside the PBX. :psyduck:

poo poo even in the best systems that's still a loving feature code for a device ON THE SYSTEM. Not some random rear end non auth'd incoming pots call...
Don't even get me started with softphones.

Suddenly everyone here wants their cell phone to ring with their desk phone, and get voicemail in their email. That's a thing we can do, but it's not a simple checkbox or something, because Avaya.
Also: hey you fucks. Stay. At. Your. Computer. Just like you were, you know, at work. You have a softphone, and it can access VM, just like your hardware phone. gently caress you, just because you're at home, you don't get to wander off and do housework or play video games.

first confirmed COVID-19 death in my county, BTW. An elderly patient.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

just because you're at home, you don't get to wander off and do housework or play video games.

:wrong:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Suddenly everyone here wants their cell phone to ring with their desk phone, and get voicemail in their email. That's a thing we can do, but it's not a simple checkbox or something, because Avaya.
Also: hey you fucks. Stay. At. Your. Computer. Just like you were, you know, at work. You have a softphone, and it can access VM, just like your hardware phone. gently caress you, just because you're at home, you don't get to wander off and do housework or play video games.

Yeah I mean I toyed with the idea of softphones over the VPN.
I couldn't get NEC's SP350 to work on our previous windows 10 image but maybe now that we are on LTSC it might be possible?

Anywho, that all got blown to hell when I realized people don't want to sit at a computer and answer the phone. They would use a softphone app on a cell phone long before they take a call on the computer. (Getting anyone to make a skype call is loving impossible.)

Too bad though because having everyone just log in as the number they want to be reached at is actually a viable solution rather than trying to deal with 100 call routing tickets per day. Plus it's actually better because then our voicemail system can actually do it's job instead of having our PBX blindly hand off a call to some cellphone and hope to god they have the proper message recorded and don't have a full mailbox.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

what kind of gulag workplace are you at that forces employees to be at their computer all day?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah I mean I toyed with the idea of softphones over the VPN.
I couldn't get NEC's SP350 to work on our previous windows 10 image but maybe now that we are on LTSC it might be possible?

Anywho, that all got blown to hell when I realized people don't want to sit at a computer and answer the phone. They would use a softphone app on a cell phone long before they take a call on the computer. (Getting anyone to make a skype call is loving impossible.)

Too bad though because having everyone just log in as the number they want to be reached at is actually a viable solution rather than trying to deal with 100 call routing tickets per day. Plus it's actually better because then our voicemail system can actually do it's job instead of having our PBX blindly hand off a call to some cellphone and hope to god they have the proper message recorded and don't have a full mailbox.

Our softphones actually are working, but they do have to be on the VPN for it to do so (Avaya - on prem, of course.) Some of our locations have moved to a cloud-based system, which is nice. They are having far less dumbassness.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

what kind of gulag workplace are you at that forces employees to be at their computer all day?

I can't really tell if you're joking or not.
Ones that require that you take phone calls? Or work? "A job"?

edit: I mean, *I* don't care what they do, but I definitely don't want to be doing extra busy work so they can skive off and sit by the pool or something. I gotta be here and do my job, then you gotta be "here" and do your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do you need hall passes to go to the bathroom?