Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

There isn’t a reason not to it’s not like Rivers is some big cap drain

It’s a single year

Yeah unless you can find other more impactful players for the money.

They're already paying Brissett at least $15 m this year and now they're paying Riivers another $25 m.

Is he really so much better than Brissett that it's worth the players that won't fit into the ~15 m they have left after the draft (less, because you need to leave room for roster churn)?

At least based on last season, Rivers and Brissett are very similar. Rivers is probably better, but Rivers is 13 years older so I think that evens out.

edit: to be extremely clear, after this deal they have ~20 m and they need probably 2 WR and their secondary is all suspect due to injury concerns and they have some holes in the front seven and they have a 38 year old starting quarterback and they have a draft class to pay. I think they'd probably be in a better place if they didn't pay a 38 year old QB who's not even very good anymore 25 million and instead paid that to another elite player of any other position and had some change to spare. Just a thought.

Like, he's only not a big cap drain if they believe he's the one to get them over the championship hump.

I don't think that's the case.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah unless you can find other more impactful players for the money.

They're already paying Brissett at least $15 m this year and now they're paying Riivers another $25 m.

Is he really so much better than Brissett that it's worth the players that won't fit into the ~15 m they have left after the draft (less, because you need to leave room for roster churn)?

At least based on last season, Rivers and Brissett are very similar. Rivers is probably better, but Rivers is 13 years older so I think that evens out.

edit: to be extremely clear, after this deal they have ~20 m and they need probably 2 WR and their secondary is all suspect due to injury concerns and they have some holes in the front seven and they have a 38 year old starting quarterback and they have a draft class to pay. I think they'd probably be in a better place if they didn't pay a 38 year old QB who's not even very good anymore 25 million and instead paid that to another elite player of any other position and had some change to spare. Just a thought.

Like, he's only not a big cap drain if they believe he's the one to get them over the championship hump.

I don't think that's the case.

They still have 7 draft picks. I suspect they try to find value in the secondary and wr there (it's a very deep wr draft). In the secondary, if you're not top of the market, you might as well be young.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
I'm not super excited for Rivers either. I think he will probably be fine (not great), and I will of course be happy if he wins games, it's just that mostly I don't like his stupid face.

Also I still hold a little bit of a grudge since it seemed like San Diego always had our number in the playoffs for a brief stretch like 15 years ago.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Mike Scifres :argh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Rivers is only a drain if you think the Colts were going to make some big splash in the other FA markets, which I doubt was ever on the table

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Jurrell casey just got traded to the broncos. For a late round pick. What the gently caress

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Jurrell casey just got traded to the broncos. For a late round pick. What the gently caress

EXCUSE ME?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
V mad about this

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Casey was awesome but it’s no secret his production has gone down the last few years. He’s owed a lot of money, and dumping cap when you can on old players makes sense. I guess they think Simmons is ready to step up and take his place. Maybe there’s another move that they haven’t made yet that will help this make more sense. It still sucks. He was one of my favorite players. Titans losing a lot of leaders in the locker room that I hope they can replace.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well I guess getting Rivers gets us another congressional rep from the population increase

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Foles for a 4th?

Much rather have that than Rivers for a year wow

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Casey was awesome but it’s no secret his production has gone down the last few years. He’s owed a lot of money, and dumping cap when you can on old players makes sense. I guess they think Simmons is ready to step up and take his place. Maybe there’s another move that they haven’t made yet that will help this make more sense. It still sucks. He was one of my favorite players. Titans losing a lot of leaders in the locker room that I hope they can replace.

We better be getting someone real good for this move

E: in FA obviously

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Shadow225 posted:

Foles for a 4th?

Not even their actual 4th, their comp 4th

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How much money is owed Foles?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A lot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shadow225 posted:

Foles for a 4th?

Tying up your cap for three years for a mediocre QB is a lot worse than signing a fading vet for a year.

Unless you think foles is the future

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Please just announce who we will signing that required getting rid of Casey already

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Shadow225 posted:

Foles for a 4th?

Why would you want a guy who has proven he can't play an entire season? NICK FOLES CANNOT PLAY 16 GAMES

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Trubisky can't either but that hasn't stopped Chicago from starting him until now.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Trubisky can't either but that hasn't stopped Chicago from starting him until now.

Trubisky is at least young and maybe had fluke injury luck. Nick Foles has been in the league since 2012 and has started double digit games TWICE. The most recent time he did that was five years ago.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm sad about Casey

he's been a top 3 player on the team almost the entire time he was in Tennessee and he was still good last year

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah. poo poo sucks

I’m gonna be real mad irl if Logan Ryan walks.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Ryan is another guy who has played really well and I like a lot but unless he wants a one year deal I wouldn't bring him back. There's still contracts for Landry, Evans, Jackson, both Browns etc to worry about after this year so shedding money now is probably better long term to keep the young core players extended.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Curse of Hoyer is gone. I hated the signing then, and I'm glad it's over.

I don't know why they cut Desir, since the secondary struggled to keep enough decent bodies on the field last year. I assume it's just pure cap, since it saves them like $6M. Should leave them with about $30M in cap to fill more spaces.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EvilBeard posted:

The Curse of Hoyer is gone. I hated the signing then, and I'm glad it's over.

I don't know why they cut Desir, since the secondary struggled to keep enough decent bodies on the field last year. I assume it's just pure cap, since it saves them like $6M. Should leave them with about $30M in cap to fill more spaces.

Did Desir turn out be good?

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Flikken posted:

Did Desir turn out be good?

Pretty good in 2018, then not great in 2019. From what I remember at least

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Saw new posts and assumed that BOB had done something stupid again

Now that Hoyer is available maybe he'll trade Deshaun and sign him

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gandalf21 posted:

Pretty good in 2018, then not great in 2019. From what I remember at least

Cleveland continues to suck at keeping the talent they developed.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Any Titans fans around that feel like representing their team in the Goon Draft? The rest of the division is already accounted for.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve done it for the Titans the last 3-4 years, does anyone else want to this time? If not I’ll do it again.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

You can't judge Rivers on just last year. He played behind a terrible line and is moving to be behind a very good line. He also has a history of being elite even if he's aging. Brissett has never been anything other than bad, and he's had two seasons to prove it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love that my "might be formerly" Texans fan friend texts me about once a day just pissed about the Hopkins trade. It cracks me up still. He finds new ways to be pissed at it every day. I think if it weren't for JJ, he'd disown the team.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

EvilBeard posted:

I love that my "might be formerly" Texans fan friend texts me about once a day just pissed about the Hopkins trade. It cracks me up still. He finds new ways to be pissed at it every day. I think if it weren't for JJ, he'd disown the team.

I would be relieved if they did one more stupid move to push me over the edge. Being completely over it would be so much more relaxing than being constantly pissed every day like this.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Have we signed Clowney yet

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Report: Chris Johnson accused in murder-for-hire case
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1969527

... Do hwat now?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ha I just read that. Bizzare.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
CJ2Kill

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
He contracted like 20 murders in 2004 and has been coasting on reputation ever since.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Getting away from the cops speed. Hyuk hyuk hyuk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
No matter what happens we aren't the Texans 🙏🙏🙏