Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
At this point in the set, it's probably worth hanging on to them either way, to see what comes up in Ikoria.

thespaceinvader posted:

Equally though, the games are not a huge amount softer in the play queue as in the ranked queue, especially at low levels, so you honestly might as well ladder I think.

Further to this, the rewards for the ranked queue are bad, but they're infinitely better than for the play queue...

You can also consider doing the Standard Event, which has a 500 gold or 75 gem buy-in, and pays out in gold and individual card rewards, which early in your play can be a useful way to boost your card count and fill out your uncommons, but you have to win 5 matches for it to pay back your buy-in in gold and start to give out rare and mythics rather than uncommons, so it's not desperately recommended, and it's super easy to accidentally all your gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Thanks guys, that answers everything pretty much except for the thing where I can't play for a new deck. Any idea why that would be? The timer ran out.

[edit] I spent all my gold on packs so I don't have enough to join anything. Guess I'll wait until tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thespaceinvader posted:

You can also consider doing the Standard Event, which has a 500 gold or 75 gem buy-in, and pays out in gold and individual card rewards, which early in your play can be a useful way to boost your card count and fill out your uncommons, but you have to win 5 matches for it to pay back your buy-in in gold and start to give out rare and mythics rather than uncommons, so it's not desperately recommended, and it's super easy to accidentally all your gold.

idk how the matchmaker works for new players in the standard event but for me it's absolutely infested with mono red, to the point that i've been doing rather well out of preying on them with mono white. However i imagine red completely destroys starter decks and i would definitely not recommend it to a new player

e: for the record the break-even point is 4 wins. you don't guarantee rare cards until 5 wins but if i make 4 i still got some vault progress and didn't lose anything so i'm happy

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 17, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Thanks guys, that answers everything pretty much except for the thing where I can't play for a new deck. Any idea why that would be? The timer ran out.

[edit] I spent all my gold on packs so I don't have enough to join anything. Guess I'll wait until tomorrow.

The earning decks thing is just the new player experience, where you unlock some single color decks then some two color decks for the first few days. The play options at the bottom of the play blade thing are typically free since they're the regular best of one unranked and ranked queues, the ones at the top are usually drafting and limited and events that will have gold and/or gem costs to join in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh this is a new thing from the last couple of days, specific to the new player experience, which none of us will likely have seen so *shrug*. Your guess is as good as any, if you can work it out, writing something up to add to the OP would probably help.

Spending gold on packs is one way to usefully spend it (and a good one, given that it gets you wildcards which the other methods don't, and wildcards are how you build Constructed, essentially), the other way is playing ranked draft - but the current set isn't open for that at the moment, so probably worth holding fire. I found as a new player that Limited was far preferable to any of the Constructed formats, because the lack of cards really, REALLY bites in constructed, really really quickly. It's pretty rare to find a top tier deck that's more than like... 1/3 common/uncommon. Buy-in for ranked draft is 5000 gold or 750 gems, and Theros has been a really fun format.

In terms of vague guidance for rare/mythic purchases, the top tier Eldraine rares are excellent and sticking around for at least another year and a half, so focussing on those can be pretty useful, especially the Adventures which have a LOT of value:

Bonecrusher Giant
Murderous Rider
Brazen Borrower
Fae of Wishes
Knight of the Ebon Legion
Fervent Champion
Lovestruck Beast
Questing Beast

As well as a couple of key cards from Theros, for instance Uro Titan of Nature's Wrath which is going to be a key part of any blue/green deck for a LONG time.

As well as the rare lands:, the 5 Castles (Embereth, Lochthwain, Ardenvale, Vantress and Garenbrig) and Fabled Passage from Eldraine, and all of the dual lands (too many to list easily, but 10 Temples, which come in tapped and give you a scry 1, and the 10 shock lands, which come in tapped unless you pay 2 life), which whilst dull AF, are pretty essential to making multicoloured decks work, and the rare ones are strictly better than the freely available common ones, and not having them makes playing any 2 colour deck harder, and any 3+ colour deck extremely frustrating.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Squinky v2.0 posted:

it looks like the OP doesn’t have a mention of the codes for free stuff, if you’re new make sure you enter all the valid codes from that page, you’ll get 3 free packs of each set in standard, plus some random cosmetics

I don't think that was live when I wrote the OP, I'll add it next time I'm at the computer.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Don't craft Castles with your rare wildcards. Most of them show up in decklists but they're usually the least important rare card in the deck. They don't help with color fixing and their effects aren't strong enough that they can make up for not having key rares.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

quote:

Because COVID-19 is keeping millions of people around the world indoors, we wanted to do a little something to help make social distancing a little more tolerable.

To that end, we are making changes to the Magic: The Gathering Arena event schedule beginning on Thursday, March 19 to give you more ways to play Magic from the comfort and safety of your home:

The Brawlers' Guildhall event for March will have no entry fee and will be available March 19–April 16.

Theros Beyond Death Ranked Draft will be available March 19–April 16 in addition to our regular bi-weekly rotating Ranked Draft event.
These changes are scheduled to go live on March 19 at approximately 8 a.m. PT.

Stay safe, wash your hands, and try to avoid becoming too stir-crazy as you’re cooped up in your house for the time being. We’re continuing to explore ways to make it easier for you to keep in contact with players from your local communities as well as support your local game store, and we hope to have more info on that soon.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

takes a global pandemic to get free brawl

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
corona virus is good now, to me

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
THB draft’s are back baby. They’re good again. Awoouu (dreamtrawler sounds)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discard 100,000 human lives: Arena Brawl becomes free until end of turn.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh this is a new thing from the last couple of days, specific to the new player experience, which none of us will likely have seen so *shrug*. Your guess is as good as any, if you can work it out, writing something up to add to the OP would probably help.

Spending gold on packs is one way to usefully spend it (and a good one, given that it gets you wildcards which the other methods don't, and wildcards are how you build Constructed, essentially), the other way is playing ranked draft - but the current set isn't open for that at the moment, so probably worth holding fire. I found as a new player that Limited was far preferable to any of the Constructed formats, because the lack of cards really, REALLY bites in constructed, really really quickly. It's pretty rare to find a top tier deck that's more than like... 1/3 common/uncommon. Buy-in for ranked draft is 5000 gold or 750 gems, and Theros has been a really fun format.

In terms of vague guidance for rare/mythic purchases, the top tier Eldraine rares are excellent and sticking around for at least another year and a half, so focussing on those can be pretty useful, especially the Adventures which have a LOT of value:

Bonecrusher Giant
Murderous Rider
Brazen Borrower
Fae of Wishes
Knight of the Ebon Legion
Fervent Champion
Lovestruck Beast
Questing Beast

As well as a couple of key cards from Theros, for instance Uro Titan of Nature's Wrath which is going to be a key part of any blue/green deck for a LONG time.

As well as the rare lands:, the 5 Castles (Embereth, Lochthwain, Ardenvale, Vantress and Garenbrig) and Fabled Passage from Eldraine, and all of the dual lands (too many to list easily, but 10 Temples, which come in tapped and give you a scry 1, and the 10 shock lands, which come in tapped unless you pay 2 life), which whilst dull AF, are pretty essential to making multicoloured decks work, and the rare ones are strictly better than the freely available common ones, and not having them makes playing any 2 colour deck harder, and any 3+ colour deck extremely frustrating.

Don't craft cards unless you're building a deck with them.

Seriously, don't craft cards "just to have them".

Darox posted:

Don't craft Castles with your rare wildcards. Most of them show up in decklists but they're usually the least important rare card in the deck. They don't help with color fixing and their effects aren't strong enough that they can make up for not having key rares.

This does not apply to Castle Ardenvale in UW Control.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Knight of the Ebon Legion is M20 so it'll only be around for another 6 months or so. But newbies also get 2 for free in the black starter. Just that black aggro decks are getting squeezed out by more efficient decks these days.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

thespaceinvader posted:

In terms of vague guidance for rare/mythic purchases

, do have a priority list of cards to craft first but only when you have a deck in mind. Why would you want to spend 20 rares crafting 5 playsets of things that rarely go together?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The clock reset when I got my new daily quests so I got a white/blue deck. I made a blue deck with it and what I had that draws lots of cards. It's kinda fun. I've enough to join an event now I think but I'll wait for a bit more and play around with what I have. Still haven't spent any of my wildcards yet. It seems like a bad idea until you unlock all the free stuff in case some of the free decks have.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Look Around You posted:

Don't craft cards unless you're building a deck with them.

Seriously, don't craft cards "just to have them".

Quoting this for emphasis, you should literally never craft a card unless you are IMMEDIATELY putting it into a deck

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Now that I can afford brawl, I have a question:
What is Brawl?

Also, I followed the advice on only crafting non-rares at the beginning. Found a nice 0-rare deck based on cavalcade.
And now when I look to check if I can afford new decks I lack the uncommons to do so.
And I have a lot of problems getting anything together without crafting that operates at a comparable level to my aggro deck.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Brawl is a 4 player free for all with commanders.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VictualSquid posted:

What is Brawl?

Commander but with standard legal 60 card decks. Usually 4 players but 1v1 only on Arena.

quote:

Also, I followed the advice on only crafting non-rares at the beginning. Found a nice 0-rare deck based on cavalcade.
And now when I look to check if I can afford new decks I lack the uncommons to do so.
And I have a lot of problems getting anything together without crafting that operates at a comparable level to my aggro deck.

You only get wildcards with packs. If you want to fill out your collection while increasing your wildcard count, you need to either grind ranked draft or insert money into coin slot. That's Arena.

I think everyone should at least have a mono-red aggro deck so they can grind games as fast as possible.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

VictualSquid posted:

What is Brawl?

It works like normal Magic except:

1. You pick a commander - a legendary creature or planeswalker. They start the game in the command zone. You can cast your commander from there, adding {2} for each previous time you've cast them. Whenever your commander would leave the battlefield, you can instead put them back in the command zone.

2. You can only put a card in your deck if it has a color identity that's less than or equal to your commander's color identity. Color identity includes the card's color plus mana symbols in the card's text box. Calix has an identity of green-white, so you can have colorless, green, white, or green-white cards in a deck using him as commander. Kenrith is a white creature, but has an identity of every color - you can put cards of any color in his deck, but you can't put Kenrith in your Calix deck.

3. You can only have a single copy of any card in your deck, except for A) basic lands or B) cards like Seven Dwarves or Persistent Petitioners that have an ability telling you how many copies of that card you're allowed to put in your deck.

4. You start at 25 life and the first mulligan you take is free.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Free brawl for a month is a godsend because I am completely over this standard even with my incredibly fun Kroxa sacrifice deck. I never thought it could happen but I’m truly sick of Embercleave. Being at 12-14 health and thinking “oh I’m just dead” isn’t actually Magic as Richard Garfield intended.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On balance I'd rather not have Theros draft and free Brawl, and not have covid, but given we have covid and working from home as of today, woo!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Free brawl for a month is a godsend because I am completely over this standard even with my incredibly fun Kroxa sacrifice deck. I never thought it could happen but I’m truly sick of Embercleave. Being at 12-14 health and thinking “oh I’m just dead” isn’t actually Magic as Richard Garfield intended.

Yeah, Richard Garfield intended to you be at 20 life and saying "oh I'm Just Dead" to control decks

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The two funniest things about playing cheap red aggro are:

My opponent resigning/making suicidal mistakes in situations where I would win if I had embercleave/thorbin.
Beating those expensive red aggro decks, where someone plays a mythic card for every of my commons. Each card does the same as my card, only better. But they still lose due to red aggro's randomness.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

The clock reset when I got my new daily quests so I got a white/blue deck. I made a blue deck with it and what I had that draws lots of cards. It's kinda fun. I've enough to join an event now I think but I'll wait for a bit more and play around with what I have. Still haven't spent any of my wildcards yet. It seems like a bad idea until you unlock all the free stuff in case some of the free decks have.

Yeah dude if you're still collecting the new player decks I absolutely would not waste any gold on standard events. Save that for when you've built a deck that you like and is competitive. Buying packs for rares/wildcards (or drafting if you have experience in Limited play) is the way to go imo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I hit mythic again. In about half the number of games compared to last season (210 as compared to 545)

This deck is still just great if what you care about is laddering Bo1 to mythic:

Deck
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
18 Mountain (ELD) 265
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
4 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
4 Shock (M20) 160
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
4 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
2 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132

The little hints and tricks it has are relatively few and far between, it's mostly just red cavalcade aggro with at least some copies of every RDW finisher in the game right now.

For the new player who was posting earlier, it's also RELATIVELY light on wildcards for a strong laddering deck, the Castle Embereths are non-essential, so it's 'only' 12 rare and 4 mythic, which for a good deck is super low, 16 rare 4 mythic if you include the castles, but they're the least useful of the payoffs by far.

It can be a tough ask when there are a lot of control decks online, but it's lightning fast, so it can go under most ramp decks, and it does a good job of beating many of the more common Runaway Steamkin RDW decks, simply by having a better chance of curving out into a strong finish thanks to the Spitfires and Cavalcades.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Paul Zuvella posted:

Quoting this for emphasis, you should literally never craft a card unless you are IMMEDIATELY putting it into a deck

I'd say go even farther and try to substitute it for whatever jank you have first to get a feel for the deck.

You might find that it goes acceptably well without the card. Or that you don't like the deck as much as you thought you would.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'd say go even farther and try to substitute it for whatever jank you have first to get a feel for the deck.

You might find that it goes acceptably well without the card. Or that you don't like the deck as much as you thought you would.

It's a tough balance to strike though, because SO many decks are just miles worse without the key rares. You're just not going to have the same (or remotely as good) experience without them.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yes, I am using a cheap version of that:
And currently I am considering buying some embercleaves and torbrans and bonecrushers and to slot them in for the random stuff I already had. I think I only bought the anaxes, tins and cavalcades.
But the deck already has me close to diamond rank, and it already is very hard to avoid getting curbstomped when I try out some casual style deck idea.

Deck
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
1 Scampering Scorcher (M20) 158
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
3 Shock (M20) 160
1 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
4 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
4 Infuriate (THB) 141
18 Mountain (THB) 285
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
2 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
2 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
2 Shadowspear (THB) 236

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If you're set on playing RDW for a while, crafting Torbs and Embercleave will be well worth it, they're not getting rotated out for like a year and a half and I'd be stunned if they don't stay top tier for that whole time.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
The only rare in RDW that will rotate out this year is Steamkin (which is usually one of the first things I board out), so I'd be pretty confident RDW will be viable for a long time.

Temur Clover will probably also stand the test of time since it's pretty much an Eldraine constructed deck minus some dual lands and wishboard stuff.

I'd also bet UW control is safe (although Clover will also be). It loses Absorb and T3f, but there's a Teferi core set coming out this year, and you just know one of those will be busted to high hell.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drainpipe posted:

I'd also bet UW control is safe (although Clover will also be). It loses Absorb and T3f, but there's a Teferi core set coming out this year, and you just know one of those will be busted to high hell.

It's gonna be some loving obnoxious bullshit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

UW control is heavily built around two planeswalkers which rotate. You might get replacements but I think Teferi is due a Jace, the Living Guiltpact

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

UW control is heavily built around two planeswalkers which rotate. You might get replacements but I think Teferi is due a Jace, the Living Guiltpact

Don't worry, there will be 3 new Teferis!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Playing Heliod in Brawl. I had Heliod and Daxos in play when I resolved a 10x Finale of Dudes. Opponent concedes before I get to stack all my triggers :negative:

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 18, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Equally though, the games are not a huge amount softer in the play queue as in the ranked queue, especially at low levels, so you honestly might as well ladder I think.

I don't know - while I do largely see the same decks in Play as Silver Ranked, there are more off-the-wall strangers running around Play (mill decks lol) and only in Play do I ever get T1 snap concedes for free win prizes.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

As soon as I hit silver rank I am getting destroyed so I switched back to play and I can win sometimes. I tried an event as well, lost three matches in a row to some really good decks I would never have been able to win against. I think I'll leave them alone for a while. I might try a draft, at least the playing field is level there right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

As soon as I hit silver rank I am getting destroyed so I switched back to play and I can win sometimes. I tried an event as well, lost three matches in a row to some really good decks I would never have been able to win against. I think I'll leave them alone for a while. I might try a draft, at least the playing field is level there right?

Broadly speaking. The variance in what you draw can have a huge impact, but in general, skill and knowledge of the set is the biggest deciding factor of success.

Each individual set being a different format, in context.

As a new player, I found draft to be by far the most fun and interested way to play, and of all the draft formats I've tried, Theros is probably the one I've enjoyed most..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hammer Bro. posted:

galaxy brain: play only limited and never need to craft anything