Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Feenix posted:

Hey So far this Paragon thing seems functional on my Mac. I found the partition. I have a couple options and the wording confuses me. Create Partition, Undelete Partition, Wipe Partition, Edit/View Sectors. Any ideas which one I want to do to make my drive whole again?

I guess Wipe Partition, but I wouldn't do that without a backup at least.

Also if I remember correctly, using Boot Camp on a Fusion Drive creates a physical partition on the platter hard drive only.

Feenix posted:

What happens if you fully delete your Mac internal HDD. Does it prompt you to install OS X or is it just a busted and "dumb" bare drive?

Well, you can wipe your Fusion drive and start over, if you initialize your Fusion Drive there's no prompt afterwards.. if you reboot you'll likely just get a blinking folder icon meaning the BootROM can't find a valid System folder anywhere. You usually do a wipe and then manually go straight to installing a new system, if you've booted from the Recovery partition, there's no window that pops up after a volume format.. but maybe there oughta be?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks everyone. I tried a variety of options and clever tricks using Paragon. I was not able to make my drive whole, but I was able to create a partition out of that ghost free-space so it’s a usable second HDD.

Small victories, I guess. :)

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
So I got a 2015 macbook pro with these specs. I'm looking into an external graphics card to use with windows on boot camp. Is that possible or recommended?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's possible but not really recommended due to the cost of it. If you've already got a nice graphics card laying around then maybe go for it, but don't spend $1000 to make your MacBook a semi-functional gaming laptop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Don’t the 2015s have TB2 and therefore can’t really use eGPUs?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Head Bee Guy posted:

So I got a 2015 macbook pro with these specs. I'm looking into an external graphics card to use with windows on boot camp. Is that possible or recommended?

If your goal is to make mac gaming work, give GeForce Now a try. It's just a gussied-up remote windows VM that runs games you already own on Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, etc. Completely free to try.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

If your goal is to make mac gaming work, give GeForce Now a try. It's just a gussied-up remote windows VM that runs games you already own on Steam, Epic, Ubisoft, etc. Completely free to try.

I’ve used it on my Mac and it works pretty drat good.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The service in Canada is not great. :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Head Bee Guy posted:

Not with TB2 really. You can do it, but you’re gonna be seriously bandwidth constrained.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tuyop posted:

Don’t the 2015s have TB2 and therefore can’t really use eGPUs?

People still did it

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I’m in the market for a new laptop for basic business stuff. My current is a MBA from 2012 that has been great (honestly I’m so impressed how it’s lasted), but now I’m starting to have some problems connecting with some modern wifi hardware, among other things. It’s time to upgrade.

Should I wait a bit for anything new that’s coming soon or is there a good MBA/MBP to go after right now that isn’t more than $2k?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You might end up having to wait anyway. The lead time on laptops is getting long since every business out there is scrambling to get equipment to transition to a WFH workforce. Any new devices announced by Apple are likely to be delayed as well due to supply chain and manufacturing issues related to coronavirus. They’re likely to have better recovery and turnaround than most companies due to their insanely tight supply integration, but there’s still going to be an impact.

Regardless, if you think you want something now your best bet is likely going to be to purchase whatever is on hand at a brick and mortar store. And soon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Don’t expect any new consumer hardware for 2 months at least.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Makes sense. Just to confirm, getting a 13” MBP is better value than a MBA right now, even if it’s a bit more expensive?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't buy either until they get the new keyboards. I'd just wait because the current keyboards are poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Along those same lines, I noticed that Best Buy i just noticed that Best Buy has knocked 300 bucks off the price of the 16" MPB. I've been planning on picking up the base i7 for a little while, but seeing the base i9 available for only a hundred more has me tempted. Though I should probably stick with the i7 and save some money, right?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

howe_sam posted:

Along those same lines, I noticed that Best Buy i just noticed that Best Buy has knocked 300 bucks off the price of the 16" MPB. I've been planning on picking up the base i7 for a little while, but seeing the base i9 available for only a hundred more has me tempted. Though I should probably stick with the i7 and save some money, right?
Really not worth the upgrade unless you’re doing multi-threaded CPU intensive VMs or whatever that need the two extra cores. The important factor is the other upgrades that come along with the i9: double storage and a slight clock speed increase on the video card. Pretty lovely. I wouldn’t buy the i9 version.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

howe_sam posted:

Google shopping has the i9 for $1980 and free shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/13915640-apple-macbook-pro-laptop-late-2019-i7-16-3072x1920-16gb-ddr4-512gb-ssd-1980-free-shipping?src=frontpage

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

cowofwar posted:

Really not worth the upgrade unless you’re doing multi-threaded CPU intensive VMs or whatever that need the two extra cores. The important factor is the other upgrades that come along with the i9: double storage and a slight clock speed increase on the video card. Pretty lovely. I wouldn’t buy the i9 version.

I do not do those things, and while the extra space would be nice, the 512 on the i7 is gargantuan compared to my current machine. New MacBook acquired. Much appreciated.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I'm selling my Mac mini 2018. A mid range model with the 6 core i7, 16 gigs, and 256 ssd.
What would be a good asking price? I was thinking somewhere around $800?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't buy either until they get the new keyboards. I'd just wait because the current keyboards are poo poo.

Listen to this poster.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mu Zeta posted:

yeah the difference in the keyboards is super significant. the 16" is worlds better than the old ones

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

A quad-core 13-inch with Mini-LED and the T2 / good keyboard sounds nearly irresistible to me.

I haven't spent a dime on new Apple hardware since my Late 2013 rMBP, will likely crack open the wallet depending on how prices work out.

If they somehow shoehorn AMD Navi-class mobile GPUs into it, then its definite..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 16, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

A quad-core 13-inch with Mini-LED and the T2 / good keyboard sounds nearly irresistible to me.

I haven't spent a dime on new Apple hardware since my Late 2013 rMBP, will likely crack open the wallet depending on how prices work out.
I was planning to wait (before covid19 turned everything to poo poo), but I need something for a class starting April :cry:

quote:

If they somehow shoehorn AMD Navi-class mobile GPUs into it, then its definite..
I've been thinking the recent spate of ARM Mac rumors could be attributed to misinterpretations of customized AMD x86 chips for Apple.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

japtor posted:

I was planning to wait (before covid19 turned everything to poo poo), but I need something for a class starting April :cry:
Well I just ordered a refurb MBP cause the return period is extended until two weeks after stores open again:
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/03/16/apple-extended-return-period-store-closures/

(...course no clue what the hell is happening with the class with everything going to poo poo, but hey new toy to play with in the meantime I guess)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think classes are going to be online only for the foreseeable future.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
New MacBook Air: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/new-macbook-air-has-more-to-love-and-is-now-just-999/

$999, Magic Keyboard, 256GB storage

There’s also a new Mac Mini but I don’t have the specs handy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

New MacBook Air with “new” Magic Keyboard announced

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/new-macbook-air-has-more-to-love-and-is-now-just-999/

E: drat you!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That should be a very decent computer, Ice Lake and a good keyboard, but I wonder where that leaves the 13" MacBook Pro.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
A good way to get differentiation on the 13 inch pro is to give it a dGPU again.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MBP: This one has ports on the right-hand side...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tucked in at the bottom of that PR is that the Mac Mini also gets some sort of refresh today. Looks like increased base storage? Nothing spectacular stands out otherwise.

Given what I use it for, I’m having a hard time thinking of reasons to not sell my 2019 13” and buying a new MBA with some upgraded storage.

E: Other than I’m lazy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

New MacBook Air: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/new-macbook-air-has-more-to-love-and-is-now-just-999/

$999, Magic Keyboard, 256GB storage

There’s also a new Mac Mini but I don’t have the specs handy.

CPU's are dual core i3 and quad core i5

$1299 i5 model has a 512GB SSD

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

$999 seems a decent price for that MBA, but don’t think I could put down that money for a computer I would hope would last many years (I use a 2011 MBA still) with only 8gb of non-user upgradable RAM. Boosting to 16gb is $200, not horrendous but does raise what I would consider base price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

2200 CDN pre-tax funbux for the i7 16GB 512gb model. At that price I’ll go MBA over 13” MBP any day for better keyboard and smaller form factor. Two extra USB ports aren’t going to sway me here.

And my work 2016 MBP is starting to become problematic :twisted:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It will probably be worth waiting for the 14" MBP though which should have more features at that same ~2200 CAD pretax (albeit probably with an i5).

I personally figure I can wait a bit longer using the Surface Laptop 3. I wanted to give the Surface to my partner who is struggling with a ~7 year old ASUS P53E, but I upgraded it to Windows 10 with an SSD and 8 gigs of RAM and what do you know, 7 year old Sandy Bridge just keeps on ticking. Shame about the ancient display, it's otherwise perfectly serviceable. Buys me some time.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Unless they massively increase the price of the new MacBook Pro - although I guess a £300 difference is quite a lot.

When the website says "delivering up to 40Gb/s of throughput for twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2" does that mean it's sufficient for an external GPU to work with it? I know there are differences in implementation that will affect performance.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 18, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

CPU's are dual core i3 and quad core i5

$1299 i5 model has a 512GB SSD

$999/899(edu) at 256gb seems like the real sweet spot, especially for people who want something portable to complement a desktop. Ice Lake apparently brings a major performance bump (2X CPU, +80% GPU) but I still wonder how much longer we're gonna keep seeing $1k dual core x86 machines as reasonable options. As stuff like tablets and game consoles move to 4-8+ cores I wonder if this 2020 Air will have the same staying power that the 2011 Air I gave my mom back in 2014 continues to have. Will we see a quad core MBA in 2-3 years?

Still it's nice that I can finally go "just get the MacBook Air" to people without having to add any extra 'ands' or 'buts'. Should've started with 256gb years ago.

EDIT: WTF! IS THE $1200 VERSION QUAD CORE? I MISSED THAT?

BTO i7 option for another $150.

EDIT 2: You can BTO the base model with the i5 ($150) or i7 ($250).

poo poo my next Mac might be a MBA wtf

Gonna go from a 15" to one of these suckers

Either that or you can expect a big upgrade to the smaller MBP.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 18, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

Do we know the exact specs/names of those CPU yet? How does their GPU compare to a current 13" MBP, for example?

I am tempted to order one but the idea of a 14" with a dedicated GPU makes me want to wait, though it seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was gonna make a joke about new MacBooks coming out any time now since I just ordered but gently caress, I didn’t think it’d be a few hours afterwards. I’d have gotten the quad core and upped the RAM. About the same cost as the MBP 13 refurb I got, but double the storage...and the scissor keyboard.

Guess those Ice Lake bench leaks were for the MBA rather than MBP as originally rumored, so I guess MBP 14 later this year will probably be a thing.