Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Good character interaction in this latest chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
up to chapter 151 is released.

every single time i start to think the series is winding down, the plot introduces more drat complexities!

(i love it though)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

What's up with the digs at you in the credit pages?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

What's up with the digs at you in the credit pages?

because i'm now the bottleneck for the scanlation, meaning the releases are waiting on me and nobody else. literally, redraws are already caught up to the raws.

since i spent so long getting on their case to be faster, they are well within their rights to tease me for being "slow". also those credit pages are hilarious lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapters 154-156 are out

some insane bonkers poo poo going on here. these 3 chapters were difficult as hell to translate

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Augusto is such a tsundere.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Chapters are up to 170.

The Souboutei mainbuilding sure looks like Abashiri prison from the outside.

Warden Deido keeps the invaders captive until they learn to appreciate his art.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y'all should post more in this thread! Yhere have been many new releases!

Also, since I've officially caught up to where I'd read, and therefore am translating simultaneously with where i'm reading and have no spoilers, I can comment unfiltered on events in the manga. So I'll do just that!

163-165: This reveal is definitely effective in launching the plot into high-gear for what's probably the final arc, but honestly I found the pacing of these chapters a bit underwhelming. I feel like they largely served as recap/setup, which works in the grand scheme of things, but not so much in individual chapters. Though I do appreciate the reveal of why Seiichi's plane got teleported in the first place (though we still don't know why the indavers wanted the plane).

166: This chapter, however, is golden. As the final lead-in to the (probably) last arc, it does everything right. I'll just post my comment from Mangadex here:

I love this chapter for quite a lot of reasons! I'm impressed with how much it accomplishes in a short pagecount. Not only do we get tsundere Augusto, but every side-character gets to have their moment of determination, followed by a moment of light-hearted fun. This chapter in particular really drives home how excellently these characters have been built up so far. I care so much for each and every one of them. And then to top it all off, there's still somehow space to set up a plan and prepare the next chapter to start what I believe will probably be the final arc.

There's also the fact that the way the "promise" was done is blatantly setting up death flags for literally every character. Fujita is definitely doing this on purpose to make us worry on a meta level. Honestly, it's genius lol. I still hope so hard that we get to see that picnic at the end of the series!

Also, another understated part of this chapter that's sort of genius, is how it is essentially a juxtaposition of chapter 49, when Takoha had to essentially beg everyone one by one not to leave. And now that there's a legitimate excuse to leave, none of them can be convinced to go. It's awesome.

167-169: These 3 chapters are basically setting the stage for 3 battlefields we'll be focusing on more closely later. Seiichi vs monsters; Zanka's group vs soldiers; Augusto's group vs Nancy.

1) I do hope it's not a disaster that Seiichi's caught up in his own battle. I mean, it looks like the plan didn't involve him going in with either group, so maybe the crew anticipated something to come out and attack him. Maybe while Shino is thinking she's keeping Seiichi distracted, he's actually the one distracting her! Also, the monster designs are so rad. Fujita's art never fails to impress.

2) Zanka team's battle is so much more chaotic than the rest. There are spirits flying everywhere, numerous zombie soldiers running around with Yadorigi shooting at them, and everyone's screaming. For me, the highlight of this part is definitely Zanka's interactions with the others. He's softened up quite a bit, and the way he talks to Rokurou especially is so heartwarming in a manly way.

3) NANCY!!! Let me tell you, when I first saw Nancy emerging from that painting I freaked the gently caress out and had to pace around my room for a while to calm down. I've been waiting for her to show back up for sooooo long! And her new look is so goddamn badass.

Oh yeah by the way, there's also two Takohas and two Kaerikuros. What's up with that?

170-172: These are really frickin' amazing chapters. I'd say way more about them here, but I've already written a lot lol. Maybe later.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when i started reading this series i never anticipated it would eventually have cool rear end sword fights, but i'm glad it happened

and i've been secretly hoping augusto's assistant would show up again at some point after getting merked forever ago by the other assistants. it was sad the way he just kind of got overlooked in all the chaos, at least now he gets some kind of closure

i'm assuming the extra takoha and kaerikuro are paper dolls. the question i have are the real ones and the fakes together, or are they mixed up? or maybe two sets of fakes while the real ones sneak towards deido undetected?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Souboutei was rad as gently caress. Souboutei *is* rad as gently caress. I assume Souboutei will continue to be rad as gently caress. Everyone should read Souboutei.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mulva posted:

Souboutei was rad as gently caress. Souboutei *is* rad as gently caress. I assume Souboutei will continue to be rad as gently caress. Everyone should read Souboutei.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

actually, Souboutei can get hosed.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

yo thanks for pumping these out so fast.

science RULES

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wow, feels weird to be caught up to the raws. it's been one hell of a ride so far

also i called it on the doubles, but still feel like i've been beaten because the idea of traveling back in time caught me completely blindsided even though it's always been an obvious possibility

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pasting my chapter 191 thoughts that i wrote up in mangadex comments

I think there's still a lot of interesting stuff in this series besides Deido, but he's definitely the *most* interesting part. And it's always hype when we cut to a scene focused on him. And this looks like it'll be a straight-up battle sequence between Oujin and Deido, with Souboutei splitting its power involuntarily between the two of them. That's like, one of the most unique battle setups I've seen in manga lol.

I'm still baffled at what the hell Oujin's motivations could be. Cuz like... there has to be SOME reason he's doing all this poo poo. Deido and the invaders have had their motivations so fleshed out over the past 200-ish chapters, that adding a new villain who's just one dimensional and evil makes no sense. We've gotten hints about how he's been working for Souboutei since he was a kid, but there's still a very long way to get from "potentially lovely childhood" to "wants the entire world to die". It took like 5 full chapters of flashback and several long monologues to get to that point with Deido, so.... hopefully Oujin is given a similar treatment soon.

I'd theorized during the last couple Deido scenes that he would get character development through falling in love with Kurenai, and that seems to be mostly confirmed in this chapter. All this setup is gonna be so awesome in the upcoming chapters, I can feel it. Though that's not a hard prediction to make, since everything with Deido is hype lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chapter 195 is out!

more people should post in this thread!!

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
I love that, out of all the series I'm reading right now, Souboutei is the only one I read from one chapter to the next without theorizing anything because of how thoroughly entertaining it is. I haven't had so much fun reading something this weird before and it's gotten me to strongly consider reading Karakuri Circus next. All of the characters are just so neat. And Deido keeps getting the best lines.

Keep up the good work, Mr. Steak.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feast of Burden posted:

All of the characters are just so neat. And Deido keeps getting the best lines.

i know, right! he is just the epitome of cool! every word out of his mouth is literally the coolest thing ever spoken.

Feast of Burden posted:

I haven't had so much fun reading something this weird before

yeah, definitely one of the things i appreciate most about the series is how it manages to be *so* consistently unique, while not turning into just random nonsense. like, all of the weird elements mesh together (even though they shouldn't!) and the info is given to us in a way where it makes perfect sense. but then you take a step back and go... wow there's a lot of crazy weird hosed up poo poo that i'm just taking for granted. none of it *should* work together but somehow it does. and it's excellent to experience.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I'm glad Kurenai gets to kick some rear end after being relegated to model for so long.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, i'm so hype for next chapter. come to think of it, this'll be the first actual proper kurenai fight in the entire series. i hope she cuts oujin in half with blooming ring

..... tho, i still doubt she'll kill him here because the kirita sisters still need their dramatic resolution which was extremely transparently foreshadowed!

man, i know that in volume 17 fujita apparently suggested that the series was entering its final arc starting from volume 18 (source), but there are still so many things left to cover that i can't imagine the series *possibly* ending within 5 volumes, even. especially with the series's propensity to keep exploding out in scope right when it feels like it's ending. i mean hell, i was positive the series was ending back in chapter fuckin 60.

guys... what if the invaders end up actually succeeding and the last bit of the manga explodes in scope to where the world is basically apocalyptic.

by the way.... nobody has told the government to stop their missile attack yet!!!

also oujin's house HAS to come into play at some point. i mean, you dont just drop info about a literal 2nd alien-possessed building for no reason. but HOW will it come into play??

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 20, 2020

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Kiritas really changed after they beat the third sister.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

The Kiritas really changed after they beat the third sister.

yeah i agree. i was rereading the latest arc a couple weeks ago and it struck me that in the chapter "butterflies" the kiritas might be actually laughing out of genuine happiness for the first time in the series, rather than as a defense mechanism. their faces looks starkly different from their other laughs, i think.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

For a while it looked like things were going to constantly escalate with more and more revelations but it seems like we're getting closer to the endgame for once.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was kind of surprised to see the story was in it's endgame with the PR that went with the release of the latest collected volume, but considering this current fight and the way things have been set up with Takoha, it makes sense. Still a very good comic.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

hype for the showdowns we're getting but i gotta be honest i'm not really here for the deido 'redemption' arc?

I liked fleshing out his character, and his role now as essentially a third party in the War on Souboutei is really good, but i straight up don't care that holding kurenai nude-hostage for so long finally made him feel a real emotion, y'know?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mr. Steak posted:

yeah i agree. i was rereading the latest arc a couple weeks ago and it struck me that in the chapter "butterflies" the kiritas might be actually laughing out of genuine happiness for the first time in the series, rather than as a defense mechanism. their faces looks starkly different from their other laughs, i think.

aye, it was, dare i say, heartwarming.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've just read up to chapter 157 in two days and this owns so much. I texted my brother to read it too and he said he'd check it out, we'll see if it hooks him as much as me.

Souboutei must be destroyed!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Varinn posted:

hype for the showdowns we're getting but i gotta be honest i'm not really here for the deido 'redemption' arc?

I liked fleshing out his character, and his role now as essentially a third party in the War on Souboutei is really good, but i straight up don't care that holding kurenai nude-hostage for so long finally made him feel a real emotion, y'know?

he's gonna eat poo poo, but he'll be forced to face what a dick he is first. i don't think there's any redemption to be had, there.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Been reading this over the past three days and up to Ch 135 so far and it's instantly one of my favorite series.

also:

Mr. Steak posted:

-If the blackened is exposed during the class trial, they alone will be executed.
-Additional rules may be added at the headmaster's discretion.
:ocelot:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The constant twist and escalation is amazing. I'm only at chapter 78 and there's been several times I've thought "this feels like the sort of crazy revelation you get near the end of something" but I still have over 100 chapters to catch up.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerilan posted:

The constant twist and escalation is amazing. I'm only at chapter 78 and there's been several times I've thought "this feels like the sort of crazy revelation you get near the end of something" but I still have over 100 chapters to catch up.

over 150, even!

edit: wait... maths isnt my specialty lol

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Caught up with this over the last three days, it's funny thinking that everything that's happened so far must have been over the course of a few weeks from Takoha's point of view.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can Of Worms posted:

Caught up with this over the last three days, it's funny thinking that everything that's happened so far must have been over the course of a few weeks from Takoha's point of view.

It's actually been more like 2 days, and just like 8 or so hours since he first went inside the mansion.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Two days feels a bit short given the meeting with all the prime ministers, the confinement and the amount of time needed between the nitrogen assault and the bombimg, but regardless it just highlights the sheer density of stuff Takoha and Rokurou went through in that time period, both mentally and physically.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Can Of Worms posted:

Two days feels a bit short given the meeting with all the prime ministers, the confinement and the amount of time needed between the nitrogen assault and the bombimg, but regardless it just highlights the sheer density of stuff Takoha and Rokurou went through in that time period, both mentally and physically.

Oh, from outside Souboutei it's been weeks. But from Takoha's perspective since stepping inside the mansion in chapter 14, it's actually been around 11 hours. My off-the-top-of-my-head estimate was a bit off. But in chapter 187, Kaerikuro explicitly says that since she entered the mansion with Zanka, it had been 10 hours and 26 minutes from her perspective. And then a couple pages later she implies she met up with Kurenai very shortly after entering, so we can consider that the approximate time the main group has been inside too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The flow of time itself is convoluted.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[ignore this, i just quoted the op like an idiot]

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao i meant to edit that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mr. Steak posted:

Just caught up and I really loved that moment, probably my favorite page in the series is from that scene.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Gonna give this a 0/10 for the thread title not being literally just "SOUBOUTEI MUST BE DESTROYED"

A 10/10 for the manga itself though. I need more, but I'm going to try to forget this exists for about another year or so and come back to it so I have a huge chunk to read again. Thanks for translating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I hope they get rid of Oujin very soon. He's been getting progressively more neutered with each chapter and getting more boring as a result.