Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The main story is 1-23, NG+ is 24-46 (no sidequests).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Hello, it's me, the idiot who didn't realize the pun behind Guru Andma's name until yesterday. How are you all.

Also, gently caress the Dreadmill.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I want to like this a lot but I honestly feel Wii fit U was better (despite the ring being a better peripheral than the balance board).

I think it's mostly the character designs and story and whatever. I don't want to be assaulted by puns and have to fight a big boring dragon every world. The idea of making fitness a game where you level up is excellent but the game part just isn't that good.

I'd just do the individual exercises in sets but the customisation is rather slim, you can't even go for a run around some of the beautiful outside sections as a warm up. Also it'd be great if you could use your mii instead of having to be generic gym guy/gal.

I feel you're honestly better off lifting weights for fifteen minutes, then doing some push ups/sit ups, rather than powering this up.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

MachuPikacchu posted:

Hello, it's me, the idiot who didn't realize the pun behind Guru Andma's name until yesterday. How are you all.

Also, gently caress the Dreadmill.

First time I tried Dreadmill it absolutely slaughtered me and I had to take like upwards of five minutes to catch my breath. But i've kept at playing RFA in general and it doesn't knock me out for nearly so long now. I won the two dreadmill challenges i've found so far, which are honestly utter bastard challenges whether you do well at them or not.

The first one you'll find is don't miss any coins, the second is score at least 6500 while never standing still at any point. A trick you can use if you need a quick rest is to jump and hover - the conveyor belt's pushback doesn't apply to you while you're in mid air so you can stand still for a moment and rest your legs. Not too long but it's there. This even works for the second challenge, it won't count you as standing still while airborne even if you're not moving your legs. Just make sure to start running again before you hit the ground.

If you want to outright cheat you can hit the + button to pause the game and catch a breather that way. I don't think it's too bad in this case because dreadmill honestly is a pretty tough workout, so stay mindful of your limits. Once you're more used to the exercise you can come back at it again later and give it a genuine try.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rabelais D posted:

I want to like this a lot but I honestly feel Wii fit U was better (despite the ring being a better peripheral than the balance board).

I think it's mostly the character designs and story and whatever. I don't want to be assaulted by puns and have to fight a big boring dragon every world. The idea of making fitness a game where you level up is excellent but the game part just isn't that good.

I'd just do the individual exercises in sets but the customisation is rather slim, you can't even go for a run around some of the beautiful outside sections as a warm up. Also it'd be great if you could use your mii instead of having to be generic gym guy/gal.

I feel you're honestly better off lifting weights for fifteen minutes, then doing some push ups/sit ups, rather than powering this up.

What’s it like to be a soulless husk?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

you can't even go for a run around some of the beautiful outside sections as a warm up.

It would be neat to warm up outside of adventure mode. Or cool down, even.

Otherwise, yeah, see above.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Running around and skipping over monsters is how I get 150 kcal burned in 30 minutes of "activity". Why the gently caress is Mario fat?

And now I can go back to the first worlds and kill everything in a couple of hits.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

SelenicMartian posted:

Running around and skipping over monsters is how I get 150 kcal burned in 30 minutes of "activity". Why the gently caress is Mario fat?

And now I can go back to the first worlds and kill everything in a couple of hits.

Mario keeps eating them giant mushrooms and poo poo.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Why the gently caress is Mario fat?

I don't actually think he is, it's just the way his design is proportioned. Plus he apparently contends in the olympics and plays tennis regularly. Dude is probably pretty fit.

I mean, I know that's a seriouspost answer to a non-serious question, but still. :v:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pasta is a high-cal food.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

Pasta is a high-cal food.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I Said No posted:

First time I tried Dreadmill it absolutely slaughtered me and I had to take like upwards of five minutes to catch my breath. But i've kept at playing RFA in general and it doesn't knock me out for nearly so long now. I won the two dreadmill challenges i've found so far, which are honestly utter bastard challenges whether you do well at them or not.

The first one you'll find is don't miss any coins, the second is score at least 6500 while never standing still at any point. A trick you can use if you need a quick rest is to jump and hover - the conveyor belt's pushback doesn't apply to you while you're in mid air so you can stand still for a moment and rest your legs. Not too long but it's there. This even works for the second challenge, it won't count you as standing still while airborne even if you're not moving your legs. Just make sure to start running again before you hit the ground.

If you want to outright cheat you can hit the + button to pause the game and catch a breather that way. I don't think it's too bad in this case because dreadmill honestly is a pretty tough workout, so stay mindful of your limits. Once you're more used to the exercise you can come back at it again later and give it a genuine try.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try this out! I hit the first Dreadmill challenge at the end of a long session and I petered out quite quickly. I guess the difficulty level is making it harder to control my speed, as well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Yo is there a trick to make the leg strap fit right?

Mine loves to shimmy down my leg while I jog in place, or get stretched when I do a squat or something and then immediately slide down my leg, unless I have that thing feeling like a tourniquet lol.

I'm tempted to cut little "belt holes" into my workout pants and just thread the strap through them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

deadly_pudding posted:

Yo is there a trick to make the leg strap fit right?

Mine loves to shimmy down my leg while I jog in place, or get stretched when I do a squat or something and then immediately slide down my leg, unless I have that thing feeling like a tourniquet lol.

I'm tempted to cut little "belt holes" into my workout pants and just thread the strap through them.

I found it easiest to wear shorts and put the strap under my shorts, directly on the skin. Then it stopped slipping.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

MachuPikacchu posted:

I guess the difficulty level is making it harder to control my speed, as well.

I think the game's difficulty setting doesn't affect Dreadmill since it's running. The only difficulty there I think is the Basic and Advanced modes, and i'm not sure that affects running speed so much as the patterns/speed of the stuff that comes out of the background.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I found it easiest to wear shorts and put the strap under my shorts, directly on the skin. Then it stopped slipping.

Yeah, if I'm wearing my normal pants or shorts I have issues with it sliding down my leg too. If I'm in my leggings, it says in place perfectly. I really think the issue is the cloth moving around when your legs move is making the strap move too. I think since my leggings don't really shift and just stretch instead (like Bobman's skin) it doesn't mess with the strap in the same way.

So either try something skin tight, or take off your pants!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I just strap it down so hard that it's probably going to cut off my circulation and make me pass out at some point. But at least it stays in place. :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

People are trying to sell copies of the game for stupid money right now because of Viruspalooza. Cheapest used price on Amazon UK right now is £120 (RRP £70).

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
$160 on eBay lol

I should have bought the 2 I saw at various Walmarts in the past few weeks!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am honestly worried about snapping the ring? It feels like it's giving more than it used to.

Is this concern unfounded

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am honestly worried about snapping the ring? It feels like it's giving more than it used to.

Almost certainly, I haven't heard anything about people snapping the ring and after the joycon drift stuff I'd expect any news sites to jump on that story if it happened.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

you are stronker now.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I remember they talked about the ring being made of some fiberglass reinforced material that's also used on planes or ships or something. And that they did all kinds of stress testing before launch. Also if anyone had managed to break one, you know gaming sites would have been tripping over each other to report it.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Starting with level 290 you no longer get skill points.

You get a free set of awesome gear just before the final battle of world 45. No upgraded demon wings set, though.

Right at the start of NG++ you get all level 4 skills. And, they're all the same strength so you can pick them for the exercise and not power. And, zero cooldown.

Oh that's awesome. I was hoping there was something like that later on, I had to drop a bunch of my favorite moves because they became too weak to be useful. Will be nice to pick them back up once their power is equalized.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I like planks better than either of the other yellow skills that hit three enemies. Is this... is this stockholm syndrome

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yes and :same:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I can't get planks to register for me to save my life. I've tried shifting my hips/legs every way I can think of, but apparently it's not good enough unless I raise my leg back to rest on the couch. And obviously, that is not going to do me any good. It sucks too, because I'm trying to work on my core and upper body and that's one of the best ways I've found to do it. I'm still going through the worlds and getting exercises though, so maybe I'll get something else just as good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dietrich posted:

you are stronker now.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DoubleDonut posted:

I think I like planks better than either of the other yellow skills that hit three enemies. Is this... is this stockholm syndrome

Planks rule, I was excited to get lv 2 so I could do them again.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I unlocked rank 2 planks on Sunday, and I used them extensively during last night's session.

It hurts. It hurts so good.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I can get Planks to register, though they're a bit beyond me at the moment. Once i'm more in shape i'll go after them more.

Boat Pose, however, utterly refuses to register at all. Doesn't help I don't really have enough room to do it, but it just... won't Do The Thing In The Game.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

This game is really helping me stay sane during this, thanks ring fit adventure. :unsmith:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I Said No posted:

I can get Planks to register, though they're a bit beyond me at the moment. Once i'm more in shape i'll go after them more.

Boat Pose, however, utterly refuses to register at all. Doesn't help I don't really have enough room to do it, but it just... won't Do The Thing In The Game.

I am very literally incapable of doing Boat Pose. No hyperbole, whenever I put the ring behind my head with my legs lifted like that and try to bend backwards, my back hits the floor. I can't maintain a horizontal position with only my butt touching the floor. Anyone who can is a wizard.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Nintendo needs to loving ship more of these, the fact it's over $250 on eBay is absurd.

Kind of a perfect storm: The game wasn't initially hugely popular. Suddenly picks up steam after Christmas, then goes insane after the Coronavirus stuff since people want to work out away from other people. And finally, no one wants a sweaty used one.

Cmon guys make more bendy rings

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pzy posted:

Nintendo needs to loving ship more of these, the fact it's over $250 on eBay is absurd.

Kind of a perfect storm: The game wasn't initially hugely popular. Suddenly picks up steam after Christmas, then goes insane after the Coronavirus stuff since people want to work out away from other people. And finally, no one wants a sweaty used one.

Cmon guys make more bendy rings

Thing is made in China, and absolutely nothing is coming out of China for at least another 2 months. The exact same thing is happening to the Switch itself.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I was at a Gamestop in St. Louis the day before yesterday and they had three sitting on the shelves. It might be worth it to check out some local places, because I think my local Walmart has a couple too, but I haven't gone there in the past few weeks.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Soysaucebeast posted:

I was at a Gamestop in St. Louis the day before yesterday and they had three sitting on the shelves. It might be worth it to check out some local places, because I think my local Walmart has a couple too, but I haven't gone there in the past few weeks.

Those are likely just display boxes at Gamestop, they keep the game behind the counter, and pretty sure no Gamestop has had stock for months either

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also Gamestop sucks because their CEOs are loving greedy monsters.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

loving done with all the sidequests.

Dreadmill is my friend now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I reached the Smack Back gym for the first time.

I got a perfect.

After seeing so many complaints about the sidequest to get a perfect I'm both very sad that I perfected it my first try and very anxious to have to do that again.