Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it plays insanely good. might be a touch too easy even on hard but that's probably just because it's the beginning of the game.

i also like that when a party member joins you it gives you the option to just flat out play their intro if you want.

proooobably shouldn't have stayed up to play it though, this is going to suck tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Alxprit posted:

I'm looking at the shop listing and it says "Recieve the Rabite Adornment DLC to gain more EXP after battles up-to level 10! Available until 21st May 2020." Very weird, there doesn't seem to be a current option to grab it or if it has any cost to it.

Anyway, excited to try out the game tomorrow! Will have to be after work since there's much to do this morning.

In steam that's the pre-order bonus, so I assume it might be the same-ish, i.e. bought the game until 21st of May when the offer expires.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Its really fun to play. Some of the voice acting is a bit off sync, but most of it was adequate. Riesz' thankfully is actually A LOT better than what they had shown us, still had a few moments of robotic-ness but overall was actually pretty solid. My dumbass didn't realize L3 was for running until I got to Wendel, so I basically spent like an hour or so doing air dodging near the ground to travel since it has no landing recovery. I got so see a good amount of Riesz butt due to that so thats nice, and combat flowed smoothly and was responsive.

Also Angela's favorite letter is the letter E.

Those weird choose a spirit/Farie things are totally gone as well, which is no loss since they never made much sense and were barely used anyway.

E:By the way, did we ever find out who the english VA's are? Some sound really familiar.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 18, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I dig the incentive system, asking you to finish fights fast, not get hit, and use special moves to finish off enemies in the name of bonus experience. Combat control feels more robust, and baiting attacks to avoid and punish always feels fun.
Some animations are a bit wonky and at least on Switch I noticed a fair bit of pop-in but not enough to ruin my day or anything. Loading times are slightly annoying.

Laurent is still comically inept in its fall.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hogama posted:

I dig the incentive system, asking you to finish fights fast, not get hit, and use special moves to finish off enemies in the name of bonus experience. Combat control feels more robust, and baiting attacks to avoid and punish always feels fun.
Some animations are a bit wonky and at least on Switch I noticed a fair bit of pop-in but not enough to ruin my day or anything. Loading times are slightly annoying.
Best part of this is party members being dumb and getting hit doesn't count towards your "flawless" rating of not being hit. I like the new combat system, even though I didn't find it smooth at times.

Shoenin posted:

Also Angela's favorite letter is the letter E.

Goddamn this annoyed me so much, I switched to japanese VA. I'm not the biggest fan of the VA in general in many parts, but hey if that's the worst complaint I'm ok with that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Put an hour into the demo and good lord this feels so fun already. Even just the basic addition of combat rolling away from attacks feels great, to say nothing of everything else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, I forgot the demo was coming today. Gonna play it as soon as I get some free time.

BioThermo posted:

I played the original multiple times through over the years with a whole bunch of team comps, including exactly this one, and I have to say, it felt the most min-maxed (at least for boss fights) of any team, although it's a drag until Kevin got healing. Hakweye/Riesz as your main character leads to the hardest final boss (but not the optional superboss for Duran/Angela's story) and that team absolutely chumps him.

:hellyeah:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hogama posted:

Not unique to Switch, there was some popin and long load times on PS4 Pro, too. It's funny that the cutesy RPG is making my PS4 sound like a plane landing.

Also Duran's baby sister is god dang adorable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How big is the demo?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It ends right after you beat Fullmetal Hugger, but you can take any party comp you want and level to level 7 and your progress can be taken into the full game.

If you mean file size, it was about 7 gigs iirc? At least on PS4.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phantasium posted:

It ends right after you beat Fullmetal Hugger, but you can take any party comp you want and level to level 7 and your progress can be taken into the full game.

If you mean file size, it was about 7 gigs iirc? At least on PS4.

Naw that's what I meant. That's a pretty big demo!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is the PS4 (pro) version in 4k?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

PC demo's out

https://store.steampowered.com/app/924980/Trials_of_Mana/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it just me or does out-of-combat movement feel kinda sluggish? Even while dashing it doesn't feel quite right, and turning while in motion feels really bad, like there's some sort of attempt at preserving player momentum that isn't quite right.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not really? I didn't even notice a difference between in-combat and out-of-combat movement.

I noticed Duran had a stompy movement where it every-so-slightly emphasizes each step but it seemed like the same movement for both. I also noticed that he always has a stab as the first attack if you've been moving for long enough before attacking but I couldn't even tell if he was actually moving faster after a second or not.

But I also didn't really run anywhere either, your default movement speed seemed decent enough to not need it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Is the Switch version decent? Any noticeable differences between versions?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Kevin better still be as adorable as the old fan translation made him out to be

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I love Charlotte's Boston accent.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Not really? I didn't even notice a difference between in-combat and out-of-combat movement.

I noticed Duran had a stompy movement where it every-so-slightly emphasizes each step but it seemed like the same movement for both. I also noticed that he always has a stab as the first attack if you've been moving for long enough before attacking but I couldn't even tell if he was actually moving faster after a second or not.

But I also didn't really run anywhere either, your default movement speed seemed decent enough to not need it.

I think for me it felt like the movement was fine in-combat but the turning felt sluggish out of combat. I'm sure it's the same, but the feeling is different when I'm in combat (and can do things like lunging towards enemies with attacks) versus when I'm not. I've only really played as Hawkeye so far so maybe it's a disconnect between his running animation and the actual movement speed or something? Either way moving around the environment when I'm not fighting just doesn't feel very good at all to me and it's mostly down to how turning feels.

Maybe nobody else really feels it, though? I dunno.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The demo is solid, though I'm a little annoyed that I can't map attacks to the shoulder buttons like in Dark Souls.

This is gonna be one of the best remakes of all time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got some screen tearing, not sure if there's a setting somewhere to help that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just finished the demo with a Reisz/Hawkeye/Charlotte party. Will probably tackle Duran/Angela/Kevin next, then do a Charlotte/Kevin/????? party for balance. Hell, maybe I'll do all six as lead. I'm hoping with how things are streamlined this will have a lot of replay value!

My only issue is waiting a month for the full game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy moly Jessica’s voice acting

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think for me it felt like the movement was fine in-combat but the turning felt sluggish out of combat. I'm sure it's the same, but the feeling is different when I'm in combat (and can do things like lunging towards enemies with attacks) versus when I'm not. I've only really played as Hawkeye so far so maybe it's a disconnect between his running animation and the actual movement speed or something? Either way moving around the environment when I'm not fighting just doesn't feel very good at all to me and it's mostly down to how turning feels.

Maybe nobody else really feels it, though? I dunno.
Eh, I might just be used to the general feel from other games, but I will say that the delay/hit box on approaching to talk to NPCs is kind of especially wonky. Having to sit through a lot of accidental attack animations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The characters also move too slow for how fast their legs move and how much they bounce while running

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

The characters also move too slow for how fast their legs move and how much they bounce while running

Yeah, I think this is what I'm feeling. It makes it feel like everywhere is a slippery ice level, especially when turning. It's not really an issue in combat because the animations match up with your movement speed better, but out of combat I notice it a lot.

It might depend on which character you're controlling, too. I notice it a bit less with Riesz than Hawkeye, for example.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 18, 2020

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Angela's valleygirl accent does things to me.

This demo was nice and beefy. Just not sure which platform to get it on. PC looks great and runs smooth. But Switch is more comfy.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Fun, it's certainly fairer than the original but is pretty easy. Rolled an Angela / Charlotte party on Hard, didn't buy equipment, didn't spend any training points and easily stomped FMH with no healing items at level 5.

Even the glimpse we see of spells show rebalancing. Holy Bolt is 5 mp now with no multi targetting, at least initially. I think Holy Light is 5 mp as well?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm glad the merchant dance lives on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: oh lord this voice acting is kinda dumb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, apparently party composition matters here. Am I missing out on anything if I went Riesz/Hawkeye/Charlotte? Also, is there bonus content or anything if you complete the game with each character? That seems like a natural thing to implement to get people to want to 100% the game.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 19, 2020

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't know what i was expecting for lumina's voice but it was not that

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm suddenly swayed with great anxiety upon booting up the demo because I'm scared that it won't be everything I expected it to be so I think I'm going to mentally prepare myself for a teensy bit longer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And I am called...Ben!!!

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Also, apparently party composition matters here. Am I missing out on anything if I went Riesz/Hawkeye/Charlotte? Also, is there bonus content or anything if you complete the game with each character? That seems like a natural thing to implement to get people to want to 100% the game.

Each character has a different intro (although in the remaster you can play your 2nd and 3rd characters' intros), and there's three sets of dungeons towards the end depending on your main character. The secret bonus boss was only accessible in one route in the original, but I imagine they'll have changed that as it was rather arbitrary. Spells and abilities are/were character and class specific; some parties will have better synergies, but it wasn't the hardest game and everyone could succeed.

Game has been rebalanced, so until we know who has what it's going to be hard to know how parties will do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I wonder how the Item Seeds work exactly. Does the day of the week matter?

Also did anyone find a cactus in the demo? Or is it only in the full game?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Started with Duran and Angela, and I have to say, the voice acting is amazing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Airspace posted:

Started with Duran and Angela, and I have to say, the voice acting is amazing.

I appreciate that they showed basically zero restraint and played everyone's personalities as straight and stock as possible. Angela yelling out poo poo like, "It's too gross and dark in this cave!" or, "I love shopping!" adds enormously to the game's charm; it's anime as hell and takes pride in that.

The demo feels like a love letter to the original game without necessarily worrying about breaking hearts. They've paid attention to the main details that elderly gamers like myself will remember fondly - the sound, the music, the level design - but updated all the core gameplay for the modern, post-Dark Souls ARPG era. Simple things like aerial attacks, a dodge, and telegraph markers make the combat feel far more intricate and enjoyable than the original (although I wonder if the animation canceling on the dodge might be a bit too generous). I sunk a huge number of childhood hours into SD3, and this is probably the best remake I could've hoped for. Very much looking forwards to the full release.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hearing Angela voiced and the direction they decided to go with her for localization has given me more appreciation for Angela

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I also came in here to marvel at how PS2 budget era the voice acting is. I haven't heard anything this special in years.

I was gonna get it on ps4 but there's weird stuttering when moving the camera which is weird. PC version is capped at 120fps for some reason (my monitor is 144) but I can force vsync in the nvidia panel to tone down the tearing and the stuttering isn't as bad.