Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Mebh posted:

What I'm unsure about is pests. Mostly slugs and snails I guess.

Molluscs were the bane of my gardening days because it's so wet here. You're probably in a drier area, but if you find they are very troublesome, the key thing is that they like young and leafy greens. If you can nurture young plants in a safe place before planting them out, that will help. Otherwise grow crops they don't attack so much - root veg, marrows, broad beans etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Josef bugman posted:

So do people think it's going to get significantly worse?

Like roaming gangs/mad max level? Because I just see a load of places likely to close.

nah, Macron would launch a "peacekeeping mission" before it got to that point. Horrified french TV personalities will wander around the polluted shanty of bbc head office and interview a confused and clearly unwell Stacey Dooley before making a passionate appeal for donations towards more white phospherous.

A predictable real worst case scenario would be that police do their thing and spark off localised disorder. The state doesnt really have any competitors capable of doing anything here.

Always be organising iust in case, tho.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

if you want my advice, try and do something productive - improve your life somehow, do a project, learn a thing, try something you always wanted to do. Something that doesn't make it feel like you're wasting time or spinning your wheels. You don't have to do it all the time, but it's there for when watching box sets or playing games starts to make you feel uneasy or guilty or whatever

it's probably a good time to learn some life skills too! not going mad prepper or anything, but knowing how to do some basic things with simple resources is a good thing to have

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Cheers mate! To amazon to buy a bird feeder! Yay birbs.

Obviously don't keep the feeder brimmed, let it run out for a couple of days at a time. The idea is to get them used to the idea there's food in your garden then when they can't find it in the feeder they'll start checking the bushes.

Over winter feel free to keep it full of course.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My friend moved into a new place in London today and is thinking about bailing up north back to his folks to possibly beat these new lock down procedures coming London way.

The flat was only meant to be a 3-6 month thing so he might end up paying rent for a place he never stayed in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nettle Soup posted:

Not as many as you'd think. I only kept one 25kg bag for myself, and I'm kinda regretting not saving 2. Interestingly, I posted about it on the local facebook group and my post was instantly and silently deleted. Their loss!

ohhhh, for some reason I thought it was one giant 70kg sack of taters

sounds like Big Potato got to them :tinfoil:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Think I found my new favourite name in Wales.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

Molluscs were the bane of my gardening days because it's so wet here.
Keep imagining cuttlefish attacking your planters.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mebh posted:

Anyone got any tips or suggestions for a series of things to prep for. I'm in Sheffield if locale makes any difference.

Your Morrisons order is coming from the central warehouse 😁

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Mebh posted:

Cheers mate! To amazon to buy a bird feeder! Yay birbs.

Egg shells didn't work for me, you could try copper tape. Wrap it round the edges of the raised beds in two stripes and it should discourage slugs and snails from getting into the beds.

I've never tried them but you can also get nematode worms that kill slugs and snails as a biological control that doesn't poison the local wildlife like slug pellets.

Also beer traps in the beds help to keep them under control.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

StarkingBarfish posted:

Your daily garden bird update:

~chirp~
missed this one :3:

Mebh posted:

Yay birbs.
indeed!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So our phones already keep track of us, I can view my activity for the last 2 weeks on my personal history or whatever. Seeing as the governments utter wank, should some smart nerds be coming up with a Corona virus app that you can log all your interactions with other people on and have it all Geo logged so when/if you get it you can just hit the quarantine button and your personal infection profile is uploaded to somewhere and cross referenced with some central disease fade map (?) And all your contacts from that period automatically emailed or whatever to let them know they may need to self quarantine too or are at risk.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So our phones already keep track of us, I can view my activity for the last 2 weeks on my personal history or whatever. Seeing as the governments utter wank, should some smart nerds be coming up with a Corona virus app that you can log all your interactions with other people on and have it all Geo logged so when/if you get it you can just hit the quarantine button and your personal infection profile is uploaded to somewhere and cross referenced with some central disease fade map (?) And all your contacts from that period automatically emailed or whatever to let them know they may need to self quarantine too or are at risk.

yeah that's what china and korea already did

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Can we download the app? Like thinking about it I bought a chair on gumtree a week or so ago where I went to some random strangers home and shook hands with our whatever that would totally be a thing I would forget about and not contact in the instance of my becoming ill

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Should be fairly safe to go for a wee walk along the river at night, I would hope?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone has a decent entertainment writing focused CV and wants some paid work through the quarantine PM me. The pay isn't great, but it'll be something.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Should be fairly safe to go for a wee walk along the river at night, I would hope?

Personally I would walk on the path but whatever

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mebh posted:

So I'm building raised planters out of some old shelf sets that were left in my garden.

No issue making the sets with some brackets and finding a decent North South sunny spot so the plants don't over shade each other.

What I'm unsure about is pests. Mostly slugs and snails I guess. In Spain everything got eaten by grubs and caterpillars except our chilli plants. I'm keen to avoid a repeat of that.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions for a series of things to prep for. I'm in Sheffield if locale makes any difference.

This has inspired me to look up growing cabbages ('cos cabbages are cool) and growing stuff is apparently a lot more complicated than I was expecting. Seasonal timings, transplantation, soil ph, previous stuff grown in the soil, parasites, sunlight exposure... I always assumed you just stuck the seeds in the soil and they turned into food after the appropriate time interval.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I suppose we shouldn't be meeting anyone unexpected from now on, but maybe should think about pro actively logging who we meet and when and where

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been doing a 2 mile walk before starting my 'working' from home performance each morning. I've been childishly holding my breath each time I pass another pedestrian, which I'm sure makes all the difference.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Is your toilet not working?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think I'm a number 9.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I saw this so now you all have to

https://mobile.twitter.com/mailplus/status/1239853987521638401

"why are these people making party political points at a time like this?", I ask in a party political way about people who aren't making party political points

why are they questioning the science when the science is beyond question (now that the science has changed)?

why is the traitor Jeremy corby saying the government is having trouble making its case when that was their initial excuse for why everyone wasn't on board with operation herd immunity?

e: in fairness he at least admits that he didn't live through the blitz

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 18, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ebola Dog posted:

I've never tried them but you can also get nematode worms that kill slugs and snails as a biological control that doesn't poison the local wildlife like slug pellets.

They work brilliantly but only work on slugs. They live under the soil and snails don't burrow underground obviously

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Let's take the politics out of the government's decisions regarding allocation of resources in a time of crisis. Also my da got bombed by the Luftwaffe and now I'm a mouthpiece of the newspaper that supported Hitler :butt:

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Mebh posted:

What I'm unsure about is pests. Mostly slugs and snails I guess. In Spain everything got eaten by grubs and caterpillars except our chilli plants. I'm keen to avoid a repeat of that.

My mum was a gardener and usually used nematode worms as a natural (well... introduced, but) pest control. They basically parasitise to kill pests, but they're pretty bloody effective. You can get them at most garden centres!

If that's a bit grisly for you then a thin layer of gravel on the top of the soil can help, also copper strips / copper tape around the planters themselves can stop things crawling up.

e;fb

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Skarsnik posted:

They work brilliantly but only work on slugs. They live under the soil and snails don't burrow underground obviously

And slugs do? Slugs are clearly more versatile than I realised :(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
As if there's not enough misery in the world, ITV has some godawful sitcom on that feels like it's timewarped from the 70s.

It's as painful as Mrs Brown's Boys - like it's almost a pisstake of how loving unfunny and xenophobic they were.

In the first five minutes, they've made a job scrounger "joke", outright said "lefty BBC propaganda", and called someone a snowflake, and every line is drowned out in an explosion of fake laughter. What even the gently caress.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2020

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Pistol_Pete posted:

This has inspired me to look up growing cabbages ('cos cabbages are cool) and growing stuff is apparently a lot more complicated than I was expecting. Seasonal timings, transplantation, soil ph, previous stuff grown in the soil, parasites, sunlight exposure... I always assumed you just stuck the seeds in the soil and they turned into food after the appropriate time interval.

To be honest you can pretty much just bung seeds in decent enough soil and they'll grow. Part of the enjoyment of gardening is experimenting and working out what works for your garden.

Last year half my garlic was half the size of the other. Turns out they were slightly to close to the fence and that blocked the sun a bit more. Now I know to plant them more in the middle and put more shade tolerant stuff near the fence!

Soil pH? I have no idea what mine is! Transplanting? Can't be arsed with anything like that at the moment. Seasonal timing? Just look at the seed packet and follow the instructions. Grow all the funky cabbages you want!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

As long as you're not licking any handrails on the way, yeah.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean ultimately it's a gut decision, not a brain one. You're no more or less likely to contract it staying indoors in London than staying inside in Tyneside, because it's not like it can go through walls, and I know this is a bummer but there's a nonzero chance you're already infected and could infect your parents.

However I absolutely understand the impulse to be with family (and their desire to be with you) at a time like this, and really only you can make that call.

I mean personally I've turned down offers from family around the country to bug out - partly because I'm low-risk, partly because of that insane "I'm safer in my own home" mentality that leads people to try and ride out hurricanes and wildfires, but mainly because they all have worse broadband than I do. I can cope with never leaving the house but there's no loving way I'm going back to ADSL.
not the walls, no, but uhhhh: https://jech.bmj.com/content/jech/57/9/652.full.pdf
this is utter garbage legislation as presented btw. sure stopping all evictions sounds great in theory but:
- this is for all new evictions, any in the pipeline are still going ahead (and the first paper in court->eviction isn't exactly quick...)
- banning ALL evictions is a recipe for disaster, there are domestic violence evictions to protect not just the household but everyone nearby...
- mortgage and buy-to-let holiday is comical and just creates more debt for renters compared to an actual freeze
- april 1st is start of the new financial year, great time for scummy landlords to increase their interest and monthly payments because housing supply is extremely short atm
- great so no one's been evicted 3 months later, now they have massive amounts of debt instead coupled with debt of all the companies pulling it (including private landlord companies)... so now you've created an even bigger debt crisis

speaking from the social landlord side we've had gently caress and all guidance from both the government and regulator. keep in mind we have statutory duties and there's been not a single whisper of any lenience for meeting these, we're just expected to extensively document every misstep from perfection during a pandemic. as an example there's smoke alarm upgrades for the new tolerable standard having a deadline of february 2021 or houses aren't considered suitable for habitation

then there's the headache of the existing statutory minimums that require tenants to be present and not a word on any gas safety record expiry leniency if, say, you're at a low number of days but the tenant is ill - or even just self-isolating. it's chaos and the reaction has been surprise at RSLs taking action ahead of being given guidance.

there needs to be a rent-freeze for at least 6 months, and serious thought given to lenience on all statutory targets for at least 2 years for things to normalise as the rest of the industry that feeds these processes may not even exist in a few months

the regulator must have heard me typing this up as this appeared during it: https://www.housingregulator.gov.scot/about-us/news/regulator-makes-immediate-changes-to-its-regulatory-approach-in-response-to-coronavirus

effectively nothing useful but more obligations to report on any service interruptions/closures/etc which most places have already done so... a bit late on asking there. there's also a delay on the annual regulatory returns but those are trivial KPIs that are snapshot from march 31st so a push from middle of may to end of july doesn't change anything

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

"why are these people making party political points at a time like this?", I ask in a party political way about people who aren't making party political points

why are they questioning the science when the science is beyond question (now that the science has changed)?

why is the traitor Jeremy corby saying the government is having trouble making its case when that was their initial excuse for why everyone wasn't on board with operation herd immunity?

In keeping with the Blitz Spirit, surely Corbyn should be appointed deputy prime minister and basically run the country's domestic affairs, including introducing unprecedented state intervention and control?

I was 16 days into a new job today. Been working from home this week and had an MS Teams call from my manager that they had decided to cancel all the scheduled events (good!) and therefore I was being let go with 'immediate effect from the end of this call.' (Not good!)

At least they're paying me to the end of the month, plus all 1.5 days accrued holiday.

This is the first time I've been without a job with literally no idea or prospects as to how to get another one. My gf has suggested me for a temporary factory line job at her work (a produce/veg distributor) because they're working like mad to keep up with the demand from the supermarkets. But that'll in all likelyhood crash in a few weeks and then the normal business model would switch from selling British produce to selling stuff imported from...Italy. So who knows what's going to happen come April!

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

XMNN posted:

this year, or the next, is when all the preparations come to an end and the world moves to socialism or fascism. The right is clearly gearing up to finish this once and for all.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Please don't make my mental health any worse than it already is, forums poster 'Wiggly Wayne DDS'.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ebola Dog posted:

Egg shells didn't work for me, you could try copper tape. Wrap it round the edges of the raised beds in two stripes and it should discourage slugs and snails from getting into the beds.

Also beer traps in the beds help to keep them under control.

Nematodes are expensive and in my experience useless. Perhaps they work if you can do a large enough area to stop molluscs casually wandering in from outside every night, but for planters? I don't think so.

Copper tape never saved our plants either, but might be worth a try if the local molluscs seem a shy, fainthearted lot.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

In keeping with the Blitz Spirit, surely Corbyn should be appointed deputy prime minister and basically run the country's domestic affairs, including introducing unprecedented state intervention and control?

Jeremy Corbyn would not fire the nukes, he would be a dangerous liability in a crisis. I'm so pleased we have a sensible adult in charge in whom we can place our trust.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think I'm a number 9.

I have shamelessly stolen this picture for twitter, but given you the credit goonfriend. I love number 2, so close to being cute and then...

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Realistically for simple plants like cabbages you don't need to worry about the soil so much (it just needs to be half decent). However you do need to worry about cabbage white butterflies and, to a lesser extent, pigeons. I can almost guarantee if you put cabbage out uncovered it will get munched by caterpillars. Easy enough to cover but you'll need a fine mesh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Haymarket Books offering 10 free socialism-orientated ebooks. Wait a while though the site is currently running slow (presumably because they just sent out the email!) - I haven't been able to see all the included titles yet.

https://www.haymarketbooks.org/blogs/112-ten-free-ebooks-from-haymarket-books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

learnincurve posted:

I have shamelessly stolen this picture for twitter, but given you the credit goonfriend. I love number 2, so close to being cute and then...

No worries, I stole it off Facebook.