Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I'm friends with a hospital nurse and I live in an area that hasn't had too many confirmed cases but she said there's a lot of new patients in her hospital today with symptoms including pneumonia. And none of them are getting tested. This is a red state by the way in case you couldn't already tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

pixaal posted:

I was adding to what you were saying, whatever they were planning on doing in person they can do in a digital format. Sorry for the confusion.

no worries lol, always spread the good word of digital gaming :cheers:

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So is it bad practice to have 2-3 friends over for dinner? Assuming that we're all generally staying home the rest of the time and no one's hanging out with/being immunocompromised? Seems like a good way to combat stircrazy.

This thing really hosed up future threesomes and orgies

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I've been using CeraVe in the tub for ~2 years. My hands started cracking in the winter for funsies and it has kept it at bay.

Someone asked about Working Hands- yes it's still available.

Those scary Italian mortality numbers don't seem to break out the % of mortality w/treatment vs those who got triaged out the door, did they? Isn't that kind of important, or is it too shameful to discuss?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hazo posted:

My wife and I were at the bank this morning to deposit our tax return and there was an old white guy LOUDLY ranting about how ridiculous this all was, how "it's no worse than AIDS, hardly anybody gets it!"

Dude sounded barely coherent, like he was drunk or post-stroke or just loving old and crazy. There's your base, Trump.

What the gently caress are you doing in person at a bank? It's 2020 you dumb gently caress.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

TheBuilder posted:

Teledildonics are the future!

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Sorry if someone already posted this. I just got home from work and I am trying to speed read the thread to get caught up. Burger King is giving away two free kids meals with ANY purchase from the app next week. If our kids have our genes, they will go through our stockpile of toilet paper just by looking at it, but free food none-the-less. Nice move BK!

https://www.businessinsider.com/bur...17_cP1WGBxlGpK0

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Google Butt posted:

what triggered that, just an abundance of caution or actual concern over contraction via recirced air or something?

Abundance of caution, mostly. I work at a very small site, relative to most in my region, we're not really equipped to handle extensive isolation on numerous patients. Any confirmed cases are going to another local, much larger hospital. Suspected cases may get initial treatment here, and then either sent home to quarantine, or routed to the larger hospitals if infection is confirmed.

I don't suspect we'll see much "action" at my site, but everyone is supposed to treat it as infectious and deadly as TB now.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Guy Axlerod posted:

What the gently caress are you doing in person at a bank? It's 2020 you dumb gently caress.

lmfao

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheBuilder posted:

So Orgy for One you are saying? Like that song?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it'd be cool if people would just treat everyone else like they had the flu for a few days

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I garden for fun, and I was planning on digging up (paying somebody to dig up) the front this yard and putting in a mix of flowers and veggies. I had a "just the fun stuff" order that was heavy on hot peppers. Now I'm making a second, "what if the farmhands, with no health care, get coronavirus" order with enough simple-to-grow, productive plants that there'll be something to have alongside the rice and beans.

This kind of garden shopping is a lot less fun. I'm even going to grow the dreaded zucchini.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

George RR Martin breathes a sigh of relief as he now has another excuse for blowing his deadlines on the next game of thrones book.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Ginette Reno posted:

His opinion seems to be don't panic if you're a young person which okay that makes sense but it doesn't mean business as usual when spreading this thing around could kill huge swaths of the more vulnerable in the population.

I just don't get opinions like his after seeing what's happening in Italy, Iran, China, and elsewhere.

Yea, he clearly says we should be more scared of the flu so I assume he is 100% against social distancing since we don't do that for the flu.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i went to the post office after work to mail some bills and get stamps, and everyone in line was coughing I have abad feeling about this

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Baller Time posted:

Does that mean they had 128 tests ready?

They've added a lot more in-state testing facilities and are able to churn out an additional 150 tests a day I believe, according to Pritzker.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

So I'm friends with a hospital nurse and I live in an area that hasn't had too many confirmed cases but she said there's a lot of new patients in her hospital today with symptoms including pneumonia. And none of them are getting tested. This is a red state by the way in case you couldn't already tell.

This is just as bad as China ignoring the virus for weeks. In the end it may prove worse even. We know it is there, better find out how much of it or the US will go full Italy. Well too late anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ruddiger posted:

George RR Martin breathes a sigh of relief as he now has another excuse for blowing his deadlines on the next game of thrones book.

If he rushed one out in the next few weeks I bet it would sell like crazy. Giant book that I probably wouldn't normally have time to read came out, better check this out because I have some time off.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

over 40% of adult americans are obese. That's for over 20 years old. How about over 30? Over 40? Over 50? At 50 certainly the vast majority are obese.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

150 entire tests? We're saved! That will definitely cover everyone in... uh... 200 or so years.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/danawhite/status/1240375041222537217

lmao

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

pixaal posted:

If he rushed one out in the next few weeks I bet it would sell like crazy. Giant book that I probably wouldn't normally have time to read came out, better check this out because I have some time off.

i got through A Dance with Dragons via candlelight, freezing my rear end off during a power outpage due to hurricane sandy.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Guy Axlerod posted:

The check was made out to both of us so we had to both be present to cash it you dumb gently caress

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Xguard86 posted:

I know we're 11 days behind Italy but when did they really start blowing up?

I know it doesn't really help to know but it feels like we're on the ascent part of the rollercoaster and it might help knowing when to expect the drop.

We reached 70 deaths 13 days after Italy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So my fever had gone down over the last day but it’s spiked up on 101 today which has me a little concerned. Last time I had something like that happen it was because I was developing a secondary pneumonia. Maybe now they’ll finally use a test on me instead of just waiting on the results for the guy I work with.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
want to quickly point out that rewatching The Last Man on Earth has been rewarding, would recommend

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Should I risk going to a CVS just to get a thermometer?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
might want to call first to check they still have them in stock

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xguard86 posted:

I know we're 11 days behind Italy but when did they really start blowing up?

I know it doesn't really help to know but it feels like we're on the ascent part of the rollercoaster and it might help knowing when to expect the drop.

I went and compared the graphs just to see where we're at. Here's the graphs for the US, updated with the March 18 info:

Those curves look a lot sharper than the curves on the graphs for Italy I posted earlier but that's because the Y-axes are labelled differently. If we adjust it so it's using the same scale and superimpose the number of confirmed COVIDF-19 cases in the US it over the graph for Italy it looks like this:

The graph of confirmed coronavirus cases in the US follows almost the exact same curve right up to where Italy was ten days ago. It'd be a fairly safe bet that the curve will follow Italy's results fairly closely, but the two countries are VASTLY different in many many ways. Will the next 10 days in the US pan out better or worse than they did in Italy? We just don't know. :shrug:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

this is a bit useless without knowing what percentage of the total population in those age ranges have any illnesses - like, I bet the majority of 80 year olds have one or more illnesses

or what type of illness we're talking about, for example bad knees probably doesn't mean you are more liable to die from corona

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

pro starcraft loser posted:

It’s probably good to know if you have a severe fever but they’re sold out most places now

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Charliegrs posted:

well, ultimately the death count wont be able to be hidden as well.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
We are at about 2.5% positivity rate in our region for TESTED patients that go through the proper vetting first. That is after about ~1700 tests so far in our lab. Goon speed.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you've got symptoms, get someone else to get one for you, and do a contactless exchange by putting it outside your door then stepping back when you collect it.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Don’t worry friend I’m in the bluest of blues and they aren’t testing here either

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i'd try amazon first honestly, but mainly make sure you are drinking plenty

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

drunkb posted:

We are at about 2.5% positivity rate in our region for TESTED patients that go through the proper vetting first. That is after about ~1700 tests so far in our lab. Goon speed.

does this mean there's a ton of other mysterious pneumonia cases out there or something? what are the other 97.5% catching? (i know you don't know, just wondering)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Good luck, my girlfriend had a bear of a time trying to find one due to the hospital she works at requiring employees to take their temp every morning before going in. She called every Walgreens and CVS in the city, finally was able to get one at a pharmacy attached to a grocery store in the tiny town next to us.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Casu Marzu posted:

Good luck, my girlfriend had a bear of a time trying to find one due to the hospital she works at requiring employees to take their temp every morning before going in. She called every Walgreens and CVS in the city, finally was able to get one at a pharmacy attached to a grocery store in the tiny town next to us.

Hmm. I feel completely fine but have no way to check my temperature which is the telltale sign for this.

I'll pass through at an odd hour and check, no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mnoba posted:

i'd try amazon first honestly, but mainly make sure you are drinking plenty

lol there’s nothing on amazon that isn’t a scam thermometer wise and they all get here in weeks