Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wamdoodle posted:

don't try to kill everything in front of you. you will run out of ammo

It took all of my ammo just to put down the first zombie in the game and that was TERRIFYING

now I have a save point and more ammo and Iiii will be conserving that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I haven't played the remake, but I got to the end of resi 2 without enough ammo to deal with the final boss, and I wrote over my saves too

Spent an hour or two trying to play knifey spoony though didn't work

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this looks cute i hope the demo appears soon https://store.steampowered.com/app/968550/Tinytopia/

e: oh hm i'm thinking it won't have a demo because it's not in a section of the festival page that specifically says demos

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ClothHat posted:

I would pass, or maybe play for a little while and refund it through gog like I did. For me the focus on taking your creatures out to pillage meant the dungeon design was pretty irrelevant, and without that all you have left is a mediocre RTS. And yes the jokes are beyond terrible.

I tried to like it, but it seems like the only games the developers had ever played were the warcraft games, so all the humor revolves around parody of those, and it just feels like a bad wc3 mod.

In other words: not good.

Also, after asking about assassins creed, I saw that there was an Ubisoft game pass equivalent for $15 a month, so will probably just get that and play the AC games and Anno 1800 for a month (or more I guess, if I need to). Seems like a good deal if you haven’t played many Ubisoft games, like me.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

StrixNebulosa posted:

It took all of my ammo just to put down the first zombie in the game and that was TERRIFYING

now I have a save point and more ammo and Iiii will be conserving that

Shooting a zombie in the knee or head to make them stumble backwards is a great way to deal with them. If you think you'll have to return somewhere, shoot one of their knees till the leg comes off - zombies crawling are way less dangerous and you can walk past them with ease. Plus they can't open doors that way! The only way to make sure a zombie is dead is to blow its head off - some weapons are considerably better at that than the starter pistol. Finally, your knife is very powerful if you're playing on the PC version - getting a zombie on the floor and then using the knife to cut off their limbs is a good way to render them harmless.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

"oh a potted plant why can we click on that"

he just takes a whole-rear end office potted plant as a healing item okay i guess??????

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

he just takes a whole-rear end office potted plant as a healing item okay i guess??????

Resident Evil has never been a rational series, even before it got insane.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lol if you don't eat your co-worker's succulents when you're sick.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, wth you scrubs, you've never eaten someone's aloe plant? It's very healthy. The internet told me so.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

At hostpital ate cactus post mote later

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

you don't have enough inventory space, better put down that spare keyboard key

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Hwurmp posted:

Oh, this is another thing Ori players should know: complete the game-spanning Hand To Hand trade quest and you'll get all those secrets on your map for free. Sorry, Lupo.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I literally just bought all 3 stuff from Lupo, so now I can just reload an earlier savegame and lost very small amount of progress.

BTW, any late-game "gold sinks" or something? If no, I guess I can just start disabling Bounty + the additional Spirit Light drop ones, for some real shards. Already got 15k now, and that gold-based shard caps at 6k.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hub Cat posted:

At hostpital ate cactus post mote later
why are you still at the hospital if you've already healed yourself?

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

Zetsubou-san posted:

Also the BIT.TRIP games are $1.49 each.
I didn't see this one on the BIT.TRIP sale page, I guess cause it's a different publisher, but Runner 3 is also on sale for $1.99. The reviews are Mostly Positve, but I seem to remember that this one isn't as well liked as the earlier Runners.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Ajax 99 posted:

I didn't see this one on the BIT.TRIP sale page, I guess cause it's a different publisher, but Runner 3 is also on sale for $1.99. The reviews are Mostly Positve, but I seem to remember that this one isn't as well liked as the earlier Runners.

Obligatory Food Land Song Appreciation Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmF2HA04THc

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

tripwood posted:

I think penis music has already had its time in the sun as a meme.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you watch that make sure you stick around until at least 25 seconds

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Wow. Steam's built-in voice chat is so much better than Rocket League's, it's crazy. Now that everyone is locked inside this is truly the best time to play with friends.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

tripwood posted:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 19, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
:same:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

srulz posted:

BTW, any late-game "gold sinks" or something? If no, I guess I can just start disabling Bounty + the additional Spirit Light drop ones, for some real shards. Already got 15k now, and that gold-based shard caps at 6k.

Once you've bought all the skills and shards, that should be it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Det_no posted:

Wow. Steam's built-in voice chat is so much better than Rocket League's, it's crazy. Now that everyone is locked inside this is truly the best time to play with friends.

I really wish I didn't have a nasty uncontrollable cough and no voice right now, I'd be in a self quarantined multiplayer internet friend renaissance. I guess I'll just keep playing Dragon Quest 11.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Another game I got from a very friendly developer is roguelike shmup The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, which might be the new best place for people to get started in the bullet hell genre.

drat this is right up my alley and your post is probably the only way I'd have ever heard of it. Thanks! Played a couple runs and really enjoy it so far, really like the scoring system and breaking monster parts off.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

all games go free or else!!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was looking at a game that apparently did this demo thing last time steam did it in december. so they definitely have a demo made but i cant try it anymore. its very dumb.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Darkest Dungeon - $6.24 (-75%) - a moment of respite. a chance to steel oneself against the coming horrors.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Phase three of this ori bird fight, i think i'm going to break my controller.
e: choosing a different ability made it much easier

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 19, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

srulz posted:

Hey, thanks for the tip! I literally just bought all 3 stuff from Lupo, so now I can just reload an earlier savegame and lost very small amount of progress.

Nah. I dont even think there's any achievement or progress tied to buying all the upgrades either. There's a Shard that makes you do more damage if you have >6,000 light on you, but that's not really a sink. the currency and stuff in the game is kinda whatever, which, hey, i'm fine with since grinding doesn't really make sense in this game anyways. though I'd rather just not have upgrades and find-able power-ups or something.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Do Steam Achievement unlockers still work? Is there a good one? I haven't used one in years.

I've got a game that has both in game achievements and steam achievements, and I unlocked some before it was on Steam, and I'd like to sync the two now that I'm playing the Steam version :)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

SAM?

http://blog.gib.me/category/sam/

haven't used it in a while but never had any issues with it.

(Standard disclaimer of don't use it in a VAC protected game etc.)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

ShootaBoy posted:

Not everyone is expected to play every game, jesus. You play the stuff that interests you the most. I've got like 5 demos to check out.

You don't have to play every single demo.

You're arguing against something no one said.

I want to choose and play demos I want to play, regardless if there's 1 or 50, on my own time. I think trying all kinds of demos is really nice way to try something you might never buy by just looking at pictures so I'd probably end up playing most of them over time. But trying to induce FOMO in your potential customers can gently caress right off and means I won't even bother.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

You're arguing against something no one said.

I want to choose and play demos I want to play, regardless if there's 1 or 50, on my own time. I think trying all kinds of demos is really nice way to try something you might never buy by just looking at pictures so I'd probably end up playing most of them over time. But trying to induce FOMO in your potential customers can gently caress right off and means I won't even bother.

I do not disagree with you and don't like limited time demos.

There that said, I think part of it is to simulate the convention experience, where you only get to play the demo by going to the booth and engaging with the devs and being part of the event. Which has its appeal I guess? (I have never been to a convention)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Conventions are for limited number of people by design and they can't be around forever. Demos on the internet can. So I can see what they're going for but that doesn't mean I like it :shrug: Anyway, there's plenty of stuff to play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Conventions are for limited number of people by design and they can't be around forever. Demos on the internet can. So I can see what they're going for but that doesn't mean I like it :shrug: Anyway, there's plenty of stuff to play.

Yep and yup! I am sick, have no homework due today, and have Resident Evil 1 and 2 installed. I have a compulsive need to at least try out 1 first now that I have it because. because. Will I finish it? Probably not, but I want to taste it before I go back to 2. Shoutout to how much the idea of having finite saves sucks as a system, and how happy I am that 2 removed that for normal difficulty.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Holy poo poo, that worm chase sequence is pretty much the lowest point of the game, especially when you're on PC using a M&K control.

The fact that there's no middle chase checkpoint seems so strange to me, especially because the game itself is so lenient on the day-to-day platforming and puzzling. It just feels so jarring to die almost to the end and have to repeat the whole drat thing. Almost similar to the very first boss fight, which also feels badly designed.

Of course, what made it worse is that to properly burrow, you have to "point" at the entry point using your WSAD, instead of your mouse. So the chase becomes nigh impossible once you reach the point in which you have to burrow in & out through several sections on the side walls, at least for me.

So just a general tip for those M&K user: just change temporarily to a Keyboard-only control:

WSAD -> Arrow Keys
Right-Click for Grab -> F

This is the default control, so no need to fiddle with settings. It's still hard, don't get me wrong, but I've finally managed to do it after my 5th try or so after doing above, rather than the previous 50+ tries.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tripwood posted:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rough demos are great for drumming up interest (and wishlists/follows) for a game that still pretty far from release, but that same rough demo is probably a detriment when a game is close to release since it's probably buggy and no longer reflects the final product. I suspect at least some of the limited-release demos are from devs who want to get that early attention, but don't want to have to continue updating a rough demo alongside regular development.

E: I'm appreciating the free demos all in one place, though I haven't had time to try many yet. Carrion is rough but :eyepop:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 19, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Det_no posted:

Or the absolute worst, if you don't have gamer friends.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Resident Evil 1: yep this sure is an older remake. Not complaining, it looks good for what it is. Zombie dogs from hell is a great enemy concept that should be in more games.

e: "Jill go explore the mansion alone, I'm going to spend the next hour staring at this one puddle of blood" you do you man

e2: "our friends are going missing one by one. let's split up"

also I am not a fan of fixed camera angles, just navigating this hall is unpleasant. This game is.... very much a curio, and not something I would actually recommend, so now I get why people were all "resident evil 2 is the best play it" instead of "start with 1"

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

StrixNebulosa posted:

Resident Evil 1: yep this sure is an older remake. Not complaining, it looks good for what it is. Zombie dogs from hell is a great enemy concept that should be in more games.

e: "Jill go explore the mansion alone, I'm going to spend the next hour staring at this one puddle of blood" you do you man

e2: "our friends are going missing one by one. let's split up"

also I am not a fan of fixed camera angles, just navigating this hall is unpleasant. This game is.... very much a curio, and not something I would actually recommend, so now I get why people were all "resident evil 2 is the best play it" instead of "start with 1"

REmake is still very good if a bit antiquated. Guys being unhelpful and sending Jill/Chris alone into the mansion is explained further in the game. I'd say it's really worth playing through these days.

Check out RE3 demo, it unlocks in about 8 hours on steam today.