Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mebh posted:

We're down to half a bottle of gin and 6 days til the next asda delivery. Nooo

I've got about 15 bottles of gin in the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume you put the small pan inside the big pan and then put cling film over the big pan so that it dips in the middle, then the alcohol boils off, condenses on the cling film, and drips towards the center and collects in the small pan.

Like a moisture collector only much smaller and electrically operated.

Or you could just buy a retort flask.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

If you want a laugh at a total idiot I bought what I thought were 40 giant competition winning Celeriac seeds, but it turned out I bought a pack of 4000 which is enough celeriac to feed this entire thread for about a year, and the seeds smell insanely strong so now my house is going to smell of Celeriac forever.

You'd think with your knowledge of pixels you wouldn't make a mistake like that.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Necrothatcher posted:

Anyone else feel like a frog in water that's slowly getting warmer?
like a frog in water that's rapidly getting warmer but also there's a glass lid on the saucepan and something's looking in and laughing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh you would be AMAZED at the sheer quantity of stupid mistakes I can make on any given day.

Btw I bought one of artist taxi drivers animal prints for a fiver and I got to say that it was well worth the money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Tell me more. How do I do this without poisoning myself and what do I need to buy off amazon?
It's basically this:

Where the...

OwlFancier posted:

I assume you put the small pan inside the big pan and then put cling film over the big pan so that it dips in the middle, then the alcohol boils off, condenses on the cling film, and drips towards the center and collects in the small pan.

yes, that.

But if you're going to buy things off internet, then

OwlFancier posted:

that, instead, because it's not very efficient.

Since they relaxed a lot of the licensing stuff you can straight up buy gin stills with the whole gin basket thing for adding the botanicals.

You're supposed to use plain rectified spirit with duty already paid (i.e. the shittiest vodka you can find with a red stamp) as the base so the tax bit is taken care of, but in these trying times you'd already have a still so...

learnincurve posted:

If you want a laugh at a total idiot I bought what I thought were 40 giant competition winning Celeriac seeds, but it turned out I bought a pack of 4000 which is enough celeriac to feed this entire thread for about a year, and the seeds smell insanely strong so now my house is going to smell of Celeriac forever.
Well at least you've got something to trade.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I would totally take some of those off your hands in exchange for buying you things of your choice off amazon!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I was really scared of this in February, like more scared than I've been in a loooong time. Eventually I absorbed enough despair that an integer overflow made me feel better. Its not a strat I recommend though.

Partly because I'm hoping what I'm currently suffering from is a mild version of it and it's mostly over. Had a lovely bug for like 2 weeks now. Median covid length is 20 days, max is 40. So I should hopefully be better by next week.

As for being a pessimist, I think it's possible something good comes of all this but this past year I've just found myself flabbergasted again and again by the insurmountable power and ignorance of our government and media in shaping the discourse. So I'm not convinced that can be overcome. I reckon bojo may quit though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Necrothatcher posted:

Anyone else feel like a frog in water that's slowly getting warmer?

Much like my forehead, it feels like the last 48 hours things have suddenly heated up considerably.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

It's basically this:

Strong piss coloration :thunk:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
mfers bought all the fresh veg from the shop dammit joe you gonna hoard fresh leeks for months

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Strong piss coloration :thunk:
You can also use it to make drinkable water out of piss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And, presumably, explosives at the same time.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

please don't attempt to home-distill gin during a quarantine goons, you will almost certainly poison yourself or blow yourself up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

please don't attempt to home-distill gin during a quarantine goons, you will almost certainly poison yourself or blow yourself up

The intent is to poison yourself, you're just poisoning yourself more effectively.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Mebh posted:

I would totally take some of those off your hands in exchange for buying you things of your choice off amazon!

I will be growing as many as I can fit in various parts of my garden 😁, I’m also having a go at 5 of those enormous sunflowers that grow about 15 feet high.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

SpicePro posted:

That and uh I work in the travel sector (IT, mind) and that's probably my job gone. How am I going to pay for...anything?

BalloonFish posted:

This is the first time I've been without a job with literally no idea or prospects as to how to get another one. My gf has suggested me for a temporary factory line job at her work (a produce/veg distributor) because they're working like mad to keep up with the demand from the supermarkets. But that'll in all likelyhood crash in a few weeks and then the normal business model would switch from selling British produce to selling stuff imported from...Italy. So who knows what's going to happen come April!

Solidarity to you both. I'm on a one year contract that was supposed to become a job offer in June, so suddenly having to worry that not putting extra staff on payroll as the economy melts will be an attractive option for the company. I think 'start early' is a good mantra if you think you might need to be claiming for some government support.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

bump_fn posted:

mfers bought all the fresh veg from the shop dammit joe you gonna hoard fresh leeks for months

I tut like I don’t have like 23kg of pasta oats and rice left over from my brexit hoarding and a sack veg that’s getting prepped and frozen tomorrow.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

And, presumably, explosives at the same time.
Possibly. That might be the only reason to try, because you need water (not necessarily potable) for the condenser so you could just fill the pan with the same water rather than literally boiling your piss.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's a fun art to learn, and as long as you don't start with weird fruit mashes (which can give you methanol) or 'botanicals' picked from random ditches, you're very unlikely to poison yourself.

But yeah maybe not during quarantine as you don't want to be doing it indoors over gas (except with that lovely two pan still because the one minor advantage is that it self extinguishes).

Here's one for all the hoarders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-mWK_kcZMs

Mebh
May 10, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I will be growing as many as I can fit in various parts of my garden 😁, I’m also having a go at 5 of those enormous sunflowers that grow about 15 feet high.

Niice! Celeriac is basically the best. Lower carb. I make chips out of it for the wife. I really got used to it being a staple veg in Europe.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

No ring.

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1240345073096839170?s=19

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ms Adequate posted:

I will say that I very much want to shoot some demons.
After you’ve done that go home and play some videogames hyuck hyuck

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wonder how bad a spirit distilled from a load of fermented celeriac would be

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Partly because I'm hoping what I'm currently suffering from is a mild version of it and it's mostly over. Had a lovely bug for like 2 weeks now. Median covid length is 20 days, max is 40. So I should hopefully be better by next week.

I genuinely wonder if a bunch of us have already had this recently. I spent two weeks with a persistent cough and intermittent shortness of breath that just cleared up last week, before that my brother-in-law had a really gnarly flu and i know a bunch of people my age (early thirties) with similar stories over the last ~6 weeks. I'm hiding from the world though because who knows...

Hopefully the anti-body test comes through soon. Am I right in assuming that once you've had it and recovered you're basically fine to rejoin society?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wonder how bad a spirit distilled from a load of fermented celeriac would be
Fermented celeriac is a thing in remoulade, but it's lacto-fermented so no alcohol.

I think if you put brewers' yeast in it'd just go on strike.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
So, I've been thinking a bit about the today's "gift" to renters. I'm not sure if they've said they will come up with more, but as it stands it's an utterly unworkable solution; nothing more than a spit in the face of the young and the poor. What's a person to do when, in the next weeks, they get laid off their already low-paid job and no longer have the ability to pay their insane rent? Sure, they can't get evicted for 3 months, but then what? They are stuck, many in a foreign country. The lucky ones might be able to get support from, or travel home to, their family, but the majority will not. Unless the government implements a hold on rent payments, UBI or a full reimbursement, what the hell will stop massive, desperate riots?

ugh I'm angry

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
apologies in advance for the stupid post

I got a call a couple of days ago off the guy I buy weed from asking if I wanted any of the stuff he's just got in, which I didn't because I got some recently that I've barely touched because now seems like a bad time to be smoking a lot. Then we got chatting about corona and he mentioned how it might be the last he had for a while because he's going to be hunkering down for the duration (he has health issues and it's not a huge source of income for him)

basically, it got me wondering about the impact this will have on dealers in general

things like heroin, you have to imagine the demand is going to be fairly constant so it's more a question of whether they'll catch it and if they'll become a major vector. also if the streets are relatively empty it might be a bit more obvious if you're moving around (esp if they go full on 'write yourself a permit to be outside' like France or Italy)

weed, people will be trapped inside and bored so the demand probably won't be reduced, but in some cities half the market might disappear if the universities close and students go home

if there are far fewer parties and the bars and clubs aren't open, I imagine that's going to reduce the demand for white powders at least a bit

are drug dealers going to be the hidden economic victims of this pandemic?

I don't think they'll be getting a bailout

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

XMNN posted:

I got a call a couple of days ago off the guy I buy weed from asking if I wanted any of the stuff he's just got in, which I didn't because I got some recently that I've barely touched because now seems like a bad time to be smoking a lot.

this isn't germane to the main point of your post, but there's a lot to be said for buying a load of weed and baking yourself some super powerful brownies. it only takes like an hour and leaves your lungs completely intact, plus you can go on some pretty exciting journeys while pinned to your couch

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

XMNN posted:

I got a call a couple of days ago off the guy I buy weed from asking if I wanted any of the stuff he's just got in, which I didn't because I got some recently that I've barely touched because now seems like a bad time to be smoking a lot. Then we got chatting about corona and he mentioned how it might be the last he had for a while because he's going to be hunkering down for the duration (he has health issues and it's not a huge source of income for him)

basically, it got me wondering about the impact this will have on dealers in general

things like heroin, you have to imagine the demand is going to be fairly constant so it's more a question of whether they'll catch it and if they'll become a major vector. also if the streets are relatively empty it might be a bit more obvious if you're moving around (esp if they go full on 'write yourself a permit to be outside' like France or Italy)

weed, people will be trapped inside and bored so the demand probably won't be reduced, but in some cities half the market might disappear if the universities close and students go home

if there are far fewer parties and the bars and clubs aren't open, I imagine that's going to reduce the demand for white powders at least a bit

It's not a stupid post. My dad's a pharmacist and (aside from everything else he's dealing with right now) his daily methadone patients are terrified of a lockdown.

Plus they're often not in great health and the virus would hit them hard

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

XMNN posted:

Not just drug dealers, but all undocumented workers doing part time gigs or off-the-books work. It's not like they have anywhere to go when all their income dries up

e: It really makes me wonder how the crime rate will change in the coming months

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

blunt posted:

Am I right in assuming that once you've had it and recovered you're basically fine to rejoin society?

Important note, you are most likely not. It is unclear exactly how long you remain infectious after you yourself get over the infection. Some of the monitoring shows the virus persisting for a decent while after symptoms clear. So you'd be fine around infected and people who've gotten over it themselves but not good to visit your nan.

That said that is another thing that is uncertain so if anyone has recent data on that they've come across do chime in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
To some extent it will depend what you mean by 'once you've had it' too.

If you think 'once you've had it' means 'still coughing a bit but generally able to function' you're probably wrong in using that past tense.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

To some extent it will depend what you mean by 'once you've had it' too.

If you think 'once you've had it' means 'still coughing a bit but generally able to function' you're probably wrong in using that past tense.

I guess i mean "you feel normal but the anti-body test confirms you've had it".

What i'm wondering about is like Munin mentioned above - how long you might transmit it after you're over it and more importantly whether you have the ability to pass it from someone infected to someone uninfected without being reinfected yourself.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Munin posted:

Important note, you are most likely not. It is unclear exactly how long you remain infectious after you yourself get over the infection. Some of the monitoring shows the virus persisting for a decent while after symptoms clear. So you'd be fine around infected and people who've gotten over it themselves but not good to visit your nan.

That said that is another thing that is uncertain so if anyone has recent data on that they've come across do chime in.

Not posting to contradict you, but interesting that the NHS advice very much does not reflect this:

quote:

If you have symptoms

If you have symptoms of coronavirus, you'll need to stay at home for 7 days.

After 7 days:

if you do not have a high temperature, you do not need to stay at home
if you still have a high temperature, stay at home until your temperature returns to normal

You do not need to stay at home if you just have a cough after 7 days. A cough can last for several weeks after the infection has gone.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

blunt posted:

What use is a tank in London? It's not like they're gonna start shelling people/buildings.
Of all the sci-fi dystopias, I never thought the one that would come true would be Dominion Tank Police.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

blunt posted:

I guess i mean "you feel normal but the anti-body test confirms you've had it".

What i'm wondering about is like Munin mentioned above - how long you might transmit it after you're over it and more importantly whether you have the ability to pass it from someone infected to someone uninfected without being reinfected yourself.

Then you will probably never know, like they're going to be doing wide-scale testing any time soon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

moostaffa posted:

Not just drug dealers, but all undocumented workers doing part time gigs or off-the-books work. It's not like they have anywhere to go when all their income dries up

e: It really makes me wonder how the crime rate will change in the coming months
A lot of low level dealers will have bought on credit from suppliers so at the very least you've got a repeat of the tenant-landlord situation but without a temporary respite.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Also even if you personally are immune to the virus you can still carry it around on your body, clothes or other items so don't go thinking you can completely ignore all social distancing even if you definitely can't get ill again

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I have heard it's currently very difficult to get weed - toilet paper isn't the only thing people are hoarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how is weed not legal on this stupid island yet

is it even legalised in scotland