Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
and the Xbox One to my knowledge is the only console in history to never have been hacked

I am big on console hacking mostly because of the preservation aspect. I don't like the idea of games being unplayable or unobtainable once authorization servers go offline. We already saw it with the Wii. there's no way to play Castelvania Legends Rebirth unless your system is modded. Even some physical games like the PS4/Xbox One Tony Hawk game had like 100 MB of data on the disc and the game required you to go online to download the rest of the game for some reason (I am guessing rushing to ship it for a holiday). not being able to play a physical game on a physical piece of hardware 20 years from now is unnerving to me. it's kinda like those DivX discs Circuit City sold, all over again

it also helps that I could not care less about playing games online.

my PS4 Pro is forever on firmware 5.05 but people lately have been figuring out how to "backport" new games so they work on old firmwares.

also for those into it, a Microsoft employee gave an incredibly interesting presentation on how the 360 was hacked and why the xbox one never was (and never will be)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7VwtOrwceo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
never is a very long time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, i mean, console hacking is just plain cool and interesting. securing hardware from the owner is extremely difficult, which makes it an interesting challenge.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

after a long time using wsl(2) i ended up finally also moving to visual studio code, and man the integration is both incredibly slick and sort of obviously hacked together in a very unmicrosoftian way.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

and the Xbox One to my knowledge is the only console in history to never have been hacked

I am big on console hacking mostly because of the preservation aspect. I don't like the idea of games being unplayable or unobtainable once authorization servers go offline. We already saw it with the Wii. there's no way to play Castelvania Legends Rebirth unless your system is modded. Even some physical games like the PS4/Xbox One Tony Hawk game had like 100 MB of data on the disc and the game required you to go online to download the rest of the game for some reason (I am guessing rushing to ship it for a holiday). not being able to play a physical game on a physical piece of hardware 20 years from now is unnerving to me. it's kinda like those DivX discs Circuit City sold, all over again

it also helps that I could not care less about playing games online.

my PS4 Pro is forever on firmware 5.05 but people lately have been figuring out how to "backport" new games so they work on old firmwares.

also for those into it, a Microsoft employee gave an incredibly interesting presentation on how the 360 was hacked and why the xbox one never was (and never will be)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7VwtOrwceo

i have nothing else to do so i'm gonna sit and watch this

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

i use visual studio code for one thing - to quickly open and format json files

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gently caress SNEEP posted:

emacs is better at that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this isn't wrong but it's very funny. microsoft explicitly thinks of the user as the enemy. (as they must, to support their business model)

the speaker even openly says "it's sold on a razor and blades model"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gently caress SNEEP posted:

i mean, the editor itself is no great shakes, and the extension system is if anything hugely confusing (settings spread out over a million subsections, popups from random poo poo you don't know why you have etc.), but the way it just seamlessly interacts with the wsl environment (from simple file access to intellisense, debuggers, and source control) is really really nice.

part of it is that i am hammering at a really messy python/c thing which has so much environment setup that it belongs in a vm no matter what, so it works out very well for this case.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this isn't wrong but it's very funny. microsoft explicitly thinks of the user as the enemy. (as they must, to support their business model)

the speaker even openly says "it's sold on a razor and blades model"

meanwhile Nintendo still making money on their consoles lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no question, nintendo still has the best business model out of any of them.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, the editor itself is no great shakes, and the extension system is if anything hugely confusing (settings spread out over a million subsections, popups from random poo poo you don't know why you have etc.), but the way it just seamlessly interacts with the wsl environment (from simple file access to intellisense, debuggers, and source control) is really really nice.

part of it is that i am hammering at a really messy python/c thing which has so much environment setup that it belongs in a vm no matter what, so it works out very well for this case.

oh that wsl integration sounds really nice! i wish my work did linux stuff so i could get more in to it instead of just messing with a ubuntu terminal on my pc at home

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

all macos editors i can think of have terminal integration, is that not normally a thing on windows?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh it's terminal alright

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

xbox one also has a "dev mode" for deploying custom UWP apps too. it's meant for developing UWP apps (:lol:) and games but if you want an app that isn't or won't be allowed on the store (retroarch, etc) then you can sideload it. with that, and that most xbox exclusives are already on the PC anyway, it gives less reasons to try and hack into it. not zero reasons, but less.

sidenote: just checked again, my Awful UWP app is still on the Xbox Store, and still works despite several Windows and dashboard upgrades, even after not having not been updated in two+ years. :toot:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wait you mean I could be posting from an x bone ?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

xbox one also has a "dev mode" for deploying custom UWP apps too. it's meant for developing UWP apps (:lol:) and games but if you want an app that isn't or won't be allowed on the store (retroarch, etc) then you can sideload it. with that, and that most xbox exclusives are already on the PC anyway, it gives less reasons to try and hack into it. not zero reasons, but less.

sidenote: just checked again, my Awful UWP app is still on the Xbox Store, and still works despite several Windows and dashboard upgrades, even after not having not been updated in two+ years. :toot:

lol i used that app to post from inside windows mixed reality, nice work

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine having spent money on a WMR headset. Just lol.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

visual studio code's best feature is throwing it at any random pile of code and it will do its best to figure it out without lots of needless configuration. it's pretty much invaluable for native debugging in linux where your alternatives are "lol" and "get hosed".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
windows is okay if you buy pro and know all the arcane steps to unfuck it after installation (like using gpedit.msc to turn off cortana)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pram posted:

windows also wont install on systems with more than 1 disk

Wrong. why is this idiot a mod?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pram posted:

yes it is. it is very true. windows 10 can not install to anything but 'disk 0' with no other devices. it is so common the first step to troubleshoot it is to literally disconnect all other drives

etc

This is a workaround for a very specific issue with that setup, you stupid idiot.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the setup being: trying to install windows on a system with more than 1 disk

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Oh my gawd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol why would someone have more than one dick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh disk..

yeah that’s right gently caress that topic and never talk about it again

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pram posted:

i've given up on trying to be clever now i just have one big disk on my terrible windows pc

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

Klingons

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

this is obviously nws
https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/1u3rj2/man_with_2_penises/

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pram posted:

this reminds me, on win10 when you enable bitlocker on a volume it makes you save the recovery key text file but won't let you save it to a bitlockered disk. this means if you only have the one system disk and it's already bitlockered you can't then enable bitlocker on a second disk :lol: i ran into this issue last year trying to enable bitlocker on a USB SSD, ended up having to plug in a second USB drive to the PC

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

this reminds me, on win10 when you enable bitlocker on a volume it makes you save the recovery key text file but won't let you save it to a bitlockered disk. this means if you only have the one system disk and it's already bitlockered you can't then enable bitlocker on a second disk :lol: i ran into this issue last year trying to enable bitlocker on a USB SSD, ended up having to plug in a second USB drive to the PC

you can, you just either need to print the key (hint: you can print to a pdf), or save it to a usb key.

it exists specifically to keep the kind of people who can't figure that kind of simple workaround out from encrypting their recovery keys

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can also save it to a MS account or print it.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol yeah sure lemme just get my printer in tyool 2020 :rolleyes:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Then use one of the other options?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lol yeah sure lemme just get my printer in tyool 2020 :rolleyes:

infernal machines posted:

(hint: you can print to a pdf)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

explain to me why anyone would ever save the bitlocker recovery key to an unecrypted internal hard drive on the SAME MACHINE.

Also explain to me why you would want to save that recovery key to the drive you are encrypting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the person in question is very bad at using computers and/or understanding what bitlocker is for

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

must i be owned at every turn!? (yes i deserve it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

i guess everyone who doesnt understand disks and windows is a pile of garbage then