Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You spend a lot of time posting about a series you've claimed to be done with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It should at least be consistent with the 'rules' it put forward so far, but who am I kidding, we just got a short story where Morgan gave a poo poo about Harry because of a promise he made to Harry's mom, even though literally everything up to that point showed Morgan would as soon decapitate Harry's mom as look at her, he wouldn't promise her a loving thing.

If magic is tied at a fundamental level to belief, and breaking a promise undermines the power of a magical being, did this cause Morgan to lose magical power?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ornamented Death posted:

You spend a lot of time posting about a series you've claimed to be done with.

I also spend a lot of time posting about Verus, The Laundry Files, Rivers of London, etc.

Also I'm not convinced the author himself isn't also done with the series, given how he's started making GBS threads all over it since Changes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If magic is tied at a fundamental level to belief, and breaking a promise undermines the power of a magical being, did this cause Morgan to lose magical power?

It would certainly explain the dip in ability between "that time he fought his way to the Red Court's King and forced him to flee the battlefield" and "unable to give a poser like Binder the slip". But it would still be stupid.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

It would certainly explain the dip in ability between "that time he fought his way to the Red Court's King and forced him to flee the battlefield" and "unable to give a poser like Binder the slip". But it would still be stupid.

To be fair, that was actually explained in the book and was a very Morgan blindspot that led to a funny moment between him and Harry.

It's even demonstrated in other books that Morgan, while smart, isn't a particularly duplicitous thinker. Like when he tries to goad Harry at Merlin's command, he's bad at it.

Letter's still dumb tho

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

If Murphy is anywhere to be seen outside of physical therapy in Peace Talks I'll call bullshit because she doesn't have magical healing abilities.

Presumably there's plenty of other people/artifacts/places/etc. who do. I'm fine with a Murphy got better because [insert deal/power/complication that causes problems AKA story].

It should at least be consistent with the 'rules' it put forward so far, but who am I kidding, we just got a short story where Morgan gave a poo poo about Harry because of a promise he made to Harry's mom, even though literally everything up to that point showed Morgan would as soon decapitate Harry's mom as look at her, he wouldn't promise her a loving thing.

He'd presumably promise to decapitate her.

gently caress it, it's Dresden Files. Butcher's style seems to be stuff everything into a big-rear end idea cannon, fire it at a wall and see what sticks. And it's been pretty entertaining so far even with the Molly Tits crap.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Everyone posted:

Presumably there's plenty of other people/artifacts/places/etc. who do. I'm fine with a Murphy got better because [insert deal/power/complication that causes problems AKA story].

He'd presumably promise to decapitate her.

gently caress it, it's Dresden Files. Butcher's style seems to be stuff everything into a big-rear end idea cannon, fire it at a wall and see what sticks. And it's been pretty entertaining so far even with the Molly Tits crap.

Honestly the “blow everything up and then use the remains to build another bomb” approach is the best part of the series.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Binged the King's Watch series to date last week, including short stories.

Mina gets a swastika tattoo made with boiling blue ink, which wouldn't be so bad if the author didn't use it to signpost her narration. With the offensive orientation (albeit not at a 45-degree tilt).

Chris Kelly's wife did a double-suicide with one of her patients due to terminal cancer and jumped bodies. Her patient was a 14yo girl at the time. He marries her (again) when she hits 16 in the new body. Conrad and Mina are chill about this once it all comes out.

I'm afraid I missed the references to Islamic magic and PC culture. (Later novels go with "Let's not talk about Brexit" when it comes up.)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Yeah I don’t get that read. There’s a line where Conrad explicitly says “don’t worry I’m not a Tory”, he is consistently portrayed as caring about immigrants and service staff and is frequently especially in later books thrown in contrast with very rich people. The weirdness is that the author seems like the kind of guy who reads wiki articles about other cultures and tries to sprinkle in little signifiers that actually he’s totally cool and gets these other cultures, like having Conrad say poo poo in Yiddish to Hannah or the entire Mina character.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

"I did like him. But would I have ever have slept with him, if we hadn't been naked in the woods and smelling like wolves?" - Kitty Norville, from Kitty Takes A Holiday

reading urban fantasy is SUCH a trip

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StrixNebulosa posted:

"I did like him. But would I have ever have slept with him, if we hadn't been naked in the woods and smelling like wolves?" - Kitty Norville, from Kitty Takes A Holiday

reading urban fantasy is SUCH a trip

Pretty much the storyline for the werewolves Dresden hangs out with, TBH.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pretty much the storyline for the werewolves Dresden hangs out with, TBH.

I...must have missed a few books.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

I...must have missed a few books.

There was at least one side-story about them being creepy-sexual around Dresden, and one scene in the main books where Will and Georgia start boning in the woods on Demonreach while the White Court Vamps are projecting weaponized rape vibes at each other.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:stare:

"Read the Dresden Files, they said. It's the best uf out there, they said"

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stare:

"Read the Dresden Files, they said. It's the best uf out there, they said"

It is among the best out there. The problem is the bar for the best has been buried several meters underground.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Don't forget the short story about the two werewolves who picked up a magical STD from loving each other in wolf form!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cythereal posted:

Don't forget the short story about the two werewolves who picked up a magical STD from loving each other in wolf form!

That's the one I'm talking about.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Has this thread talked much about Charles de Lint? It's hard to find stuff in between all the Dresden Files chat.

Anyway, I read a ton of his work in the mid-90s starting with Jack of Kinrowan, and I really enjoyed the intersection of Irish and First Nations mythology. Has he written much since the early 2ks, and is it worthwhile?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

There was at least one side-story about them being creepy-sexual around Dresden, and one scene in the main books where Will and Georgia start boning in the woods on Demonreach while the White Court Vamps are projecting weaponized rape vibes at each other.

To be fair, that's because they were drunk on blood.

My avatar makes me uniquely qualified to discuss the subject of dog-on-dog-boinking.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

The worst wolf boinking I read was the unexpected scene from The Magicians... and then it got one-upped by sequel

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Xtanstic posted:

The worst wolf boinking I read was the unexpected scene from The Magicians... and then it got one-upped by sequel

It's even worse than the FBI-werewolf gangbang while eating somebody in Fool Moon?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Xtanstic posted:

They weren't wolves, they were foxes:colbert: :suicide:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 17, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I will say this about Kitty: despite her wild werewolf sex, it was all fade to black, written with zero details, and the story pretty quickly got back to "we're alone in a cabin and there are Things In The Woods, and someone buried barbed wire crosses in a circle around the cabin"

Which is to say I'm really digging it. Kitty is a weird series with weird pacing, but I don't have to sit through sex scenes and instead it'll give me creepy stuff instead.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

True.on the other hand, they still come off as basically normal people who have learned this one really good magic trick. They don't project that weird, awful, "I am your Alpha Soulmate, let me rape my way into your heart."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

It's even worse than the FBI-werewolf gangbang while eating somebody in Fool Moon?

it features foxes gang-raping one of the protagonists

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everyone posted:

True.on the other hand, they still come off as basically normal people who have learned this one really good magic trick. They don't project that weird, awful, "I am your Alpha Soulmate, let me rape my way into your heart."

I remember that being a fun point of Fool Moon. The book has a whole lot of different kinds of werewolves:

Biological humans with the souls of beasts.

Humans who have learned a single spell to transform into wolves and back.

Wolves (well, just one) who has learned a single spell to transform into a human and back.

Humans with enchanted items that let them turn into wolves and back but drive them insane.

A guy with an inherited family curse that turns him into an unstoppable man-wolf monster at the full moon and can only be harmed by inherited silver.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I might be misremembering but aren't most of the gross sex things in Dresden also hidden by scene changes or finding the people after the fact?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I might be misremembering but aren't most of the gross sex things in Dresden also hidden by scene changes or finding the people after the fact?

no woman is safe from dresdens gaze

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Read the new Mercy Thompson book, Smoke Bitten, that was released today (well, last night). Good as always.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Some of them are but there is more screen time devoted to Harry thinking about a character's nipples than there is to some major characters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wizchine posted:

Read the new Mercy Thompson book, Smoke Bitten, that was released today (well, last night). Good as always.

Ah, sweet! I should finish up Kitty and get back to reading Mercy... drat, there's so much good UF.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

M_Gargantua posted:

Pull the other one, it's got bells on it.

gently caress no. The only time Dresden skips over sex like you describe is when it's Michael and Charity after the big bad is defeated. Everything else gets pages of badly written detail.

Like this guy said:

ImpAtom posted:

there is more screen time devoted to Harry thinking about a character's nipples than there is to some major characters.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

M_Gargantua posted:

The pages long bondage sex scene with vampire girlfriend disagrees with you. Butcher loves himself maledom femsub, cf everything he writes goddamn.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think that there are only two "pages long" descriptions of sex in the series. One in book 5 with Susan, and one in a very late book in a "dream" with Murph, right? I haven't re-read the last few books in the series yet to remember exactly where it was.

Other than that, there is a lot of nudity, a fair bit of foreplay, and more nipple-talk than I can count. But actual sex? Tends to be glossed over or mentioned in passing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

I think that there are only two "pages long" descriptions of sex in the series. One in book 5 with Susan, and one in a very late book in a "dream" with Murph, right? I haven't re-read the last few books in the series yet to remember exactly where it was.

Other than that, there is a lot of nudity, a fair bit of foreplay, and more nipple-talk than I can count. But actual sex? Tends to be glossed over or mentioned in passing.

Werewolf murder-gangbang in Book 2.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't recall that going on for long, or described in detail, at all. More of an "what the gently caress are they doing, nope nope nope I'm gone" kind of thing?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't recall that going on for long, or described in detail, at all. More of an "what the gently caress are they doing, nope nope nope I'm gone" kind of thing?

Nah, man. Fool Moon was The Worst Dresden Book in just about every way.

I mean, the bit with Tera literally had him go on for a full paragraph about her dancing in the rain and "offering her breasts to the chill, with her skin slick and gleaming with water" and poo poo.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Literally just a couple of lines

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I had to go look this up since I forgot all about it so y'all get to read it. It's not great!

Jim Butcher Fool Moon posted:

:nws: Changing to a paste since that is super annoying to read on mobile:https://pastebin.com/8Akd5qMZ :nws:
Edit:Fine some words. The sex stuff is intentionally gross(which doesn't really excuse it because Butcher draws from this well a lot) but the misogyny and ALPHA wolf poo poo is what makes it really bad imo.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 19, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I honestly would not mind and would be A-OK with the sex stuff in Dresden and any other book if it wasn't all attached to the weird sex / gender stuff in other parts. I'm even fine with it being totally gratuitous stuff that basically adds nothing to the plot or characters if that's what the author wanna do and they do it well. Write with your clit or your dick w/e, have fun.

Contrast the way sex and gender is treated and depicted with, say, Abercrombie's Best Served Cold or First Law Trilogy. It's better written, more nuanced and realistic.

I like Jim as an author and I'll buy Peace Talks and I still re-read his stuff, I just wish he'd grow and be less cat-piss. If someone told me Jim Butcher hated women, I wouldn't believe them. If they told me he believed some unfortunate bio-truths I totally would.

I was getting into the Codex series until someone here told me that one of the villains was way into rape and that combined with the women being super emotional had me ejecting faster than an asthmatic from an F-35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Most of the sex I've run into in UF has been tasteful and brief and more focused on what it means for the character's relationships than anything else.

Examples:

Hollows 2: there are a few very short scenes where Rachel has sex with her boyfriend, essentially to establish that she's a) getting tail, b) they both have vampire bites (and this is a huge plot point), and c) it makes the ending of the book hurt even more when her boyfriend is giving her the cold shoulder. Will they repair their relationship? I don't know, but I want to find out more in the future - and find out if Nick keeps summoning demons like a moron.

Kitty 3: werewolves are depicted as animals and predators in this 'verse, where Kitty smells people and wants to hunt them, and has to control herself. As her new boyfriend is a freshly turned werewolf, their first full moon together led to surprise sex in the woods as after the change back they were cuddling, naked, and went for it. It's a confusing step in their relationship as while she's been helping him adjust to being a werewolf (new rages to control, everything smells weird, etc etc) she also before this didn't see him as anything more than a friend. They should be talking about this, but given the whole curse business and other supernatural terrors, they've been busy. And having comfort sex off-screen with each other. This has also added some tension between Kitty and Cormac, because, well, they were almost a couple.

And like, the sex page counts are never more than a page or two (in 300+ page books), so those of you who aren't into it don't have much to dodge.