Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Smack Back is easy for me, for whatever reason. Dreadmill and the one with the 4x4 grid of crates can go gently caress themselves, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dreadmill really makes obvious the latency/imprecision of the leg strap input

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zurai posted:

Smack Back is easy for me, for whatever reason. Dreadmill and the one with the 4x4 grid of crates can go gently caress themselves, though.

I got the Package Pulverizer title. That's all I care about for the grid one.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Never had any problems perfecting Smack Back.

I just did the foggy world perfect aerochute/thigh rider challenges though and gently caress them, ugh!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oyster posted:

I reached the Smack Back gym for the first time.

I got a perfect.

After seeing so many complaints about the sidequest to get a perfect I'm both very sad that I perfected it my first try and very anxious to have to do that again.

Advanced is a lot harder, I think. I just got to the first advanced smack back gym and they really throw a lot at you all at once, literally and figuratively.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
Planks and boat pose register just fine for me, but I have yet to master squats. :sigh: I can do the required squats (like the trampolines or the treasure chests), but I just can't go deep enough to register a "Great!" hit unless I cheat. Doesn't matter how I move the thigh strap around.

I have come to terms with this.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I have a lot of issues with those, too. for me t seems to be caused by leaning forward a little bit, which twists my thighs, which knocks the leg strap out of alignment.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

are you keeping your heels on the ground when you squat?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Make sure your feet are flat and your knees are going straight forward when you squat. Push your butt back but keep your back straight. You will lean slightly forward, which is fine. Squeeze your core to protect your lower back.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I think I understand where the hate for Smack Back is coming from.

Got the "destroy all robots" quest and tried using different joycons (on a different Switch, yay cloud saves, because the gf has been absorbed by Animal Crossing) and it did. not. work. Even going up and down in the menu was more difficult and during the game it kept prompting to put the ringcon in front of me. They were older joycons that came with my Switch. Switched back to the newer ones we had been using and got a perfect first try.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I was always taught that you weren't supposed to do workouts on back to back days, but this seems to recommend daily use. Is it really ok to do every day?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CrazySalamander posted:

I was always taught that you weren't supposed to do workouts on back to back days, but this seems to recommend daily use. Is it really ok to do every day?

It’s not super intense work outs
The general recommendation is to at least have a day off every two days on

alr
May 14, 2009

CrazySalamander posted:

It's fine, as stated above it's not super intense. Rest if you feel like something is wrong, and if you start to get pain anywhere then rest until that passes. I work in the field of sport science in Australia, our national recommendation states that half an hour a day of moderate exercise with an elevated heart rate for five days a week is a good level. Ring Fit might not be intense when compared to an hour of hard lifting in the gym, but for a lot of people on higher intensity it'll definitely be enough to cross over from "moderate" to "vigorous". I don't find the HR monitor from the joycon accurate at all, but as long as you're consistently getting your HR above the 100 or so mark that's good. A rough guide would be 220 minus your age = your max HR. Try and hit around 55% - 70% of that. If you're 30, your max HR would be approx 190, so you'd aim for roughly 105-133.

quote:

• Accumulate 150 to 300 minutes (2 ½ to 5 hours) of moderate intensity physical
activity or 75 to 150 minutes (1 ¼ to 2 ½ hours) of vigorous intensity physical activity,
or an equivalent combination of both moderate and vigorous activities, each week.
• Do muscle strengthening activities on at least 2 days each week.

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet...A5_18-64yrs.PDF

Just keep in mind that this game is geared towards being a recreational exercise routine for general wellness, it's better to keep this manageable and consistent than to ramp it up and burn yourself out because you're not having fun, can't manage back to back days, or you hurt yourself. Save intense stuff for hitting targets, like hitting a new PR while lifting or cycling a certain distance in a time limit or whatever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's finally an update coming to the game. Will add a rhythm game mode with 17 tracks, add a female voice option for Ring and an option to disable enemies if you just want to do jogging.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Really excited for jogging mode, i hate having to just do battles depending on what world I'm on, keeps me from turning it on. Also the rhythm mode is the first step to ring fit global saturation, exciting

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Footage of the rhythm game, SPLOON MUSIC IS ALWAYS GOOD.

https://twitter.com/PizzaSkunk/status/1243194944379969537

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
finally they got my 300 letters about making it a rhythm game!!!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Downloading. Most of the update must be new man-ring voices.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

oh yeah i'm stoked for my lady ring to yell at me

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same, same.
Also the Legs & Core mode is brutal. Then again I did two Advanced Sploon medley runs in a row. Basic, then the Core. Ow my upper arms.

E - THEY ADDED A FINISH EXERCISE OPTION!

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 26, 2020

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Did novice core to Jump Up! Superstar! and it took me 4 tries to twist my torso fast enough to get through the tutorial. My lady friend quit in frustration and jumped in the shower after similar failed attempts. Some of us can't twist that fast, game. The song itself doesn't mandate twisting that fast, just the tutorial. It sucks.

Manuel Calavera posted:

E - THEY ADDED A FINISH EXERCISE OPTION!

Hasn't this always been a thing? Just hit +, right?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was it? I read that complaint that there was no 'finish exercise' option for months in here.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What exactly do you mean by "finish exercise"

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DoubleDonut posted:

What exactly do you mean by "finish exercise"

I assume the fact that previously when you kill a monster, you immediately stop doing your exercise, even if you've only done your left side

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Female ring voice is about 3000x better and less obnoxious.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Was it? I read that complaint that there was no 'finish exercise' option for months in here.

There was an update recently, before this one, maybe it was added then and they got the game after the fact.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

bushisms.txt posted:

There was an update recently, before this one, maybe it was added then and they got the game after the fact.

Possibly, I just finished Day 30 today and don't remember having to download an earlier patch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rhythm game is cool.

My ring voice is now a Spanish lady so I can also get in some language learning at the same time (¡impresionante!)

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I really don't like fem ring voice, it sounds more like a child than a lady. Less energetic, too. Ring's default voice has kinda grown on me a bit honestly even before this option became available.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I can't wait until I can find a copy of this game. I have a feeling that it's going to be a while but that's my fault for not jumping in off the bat.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Go RV! posted:

I assume the fact that previously when you kill a monster, you immediately stop doing your exercise, even if you've only done your left side

Wait is that really a thing now? How do you activate it?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In the settings. The game tells you when you go adventuring after the patch.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SelenicMartian posted:

In the settings. The game tells you when you go adventuring after the patch.

What if I only want to finish my workout sometimes? Is it an all or nothing deal?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

jogging mode is pretty cool! kinda wish there were a way to do it without the ringcon though!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It's insane that they just added a whole new game mode for free, and also FINISH EXERCISE

2019 GOTY, sorry disco elysium

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

finish exercise option let's you set it so you can finish both sides of your body. what a good thing!

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam
Was there a mode to have Tipp judge your prowess at moves? Having some trouble getting some moves to register and would like to find the training mode, but not having any luck.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oyster posted:

Was there a mode to have Tipp judge your prowess at moves? Having some trouble getting some moves to register and would like to find the training mode, but not having any luck.

I don’t think so. Which moves are you having trouble with?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of my issues with the game have been fixed with this update, the finish exercise stuff is massive. The jogging only mode is cool but I wish there was an option for it to be just jogging without the rest of the normal adventure platforming stuff. Rhythm mode is fun as hell, though the roughness of motion control with leaning does hurt the core option for me so I think I'll stick with the arms stuff. It helps that I think that's the more fun option anyway.

At the very least it's got me playing again, which is cool while I'm stuck inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You'd have to completely remodel large parts of most of the stages for no-ringcon, since they depend on jumping and airblasts and stuff. May more of a dev cost than just "delete all monsters".