Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

hatty posted:

I’d like to see what the difference between the A12X and the A12Z is. They aren’t touting increased performance too much so maybe it just has more RAM and an extra core?

I’m guessing the gpu’s extra core is largely it, which makes me wonder if the a12x always had 8 but with one disabled or something, or if this is all new silicon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So far the green smart folio is the only thing making me like “oh hell yeah.”

If I needed my iPad to be more of a laptop I’d be totally stoked for that magic keyboard though, it looks so cool. I just don’t need it :(

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
This definitely makes the iPad closer to use as a general purpose computer. For me the remaining big thing before it could potentially replace a laptop is being able to manually designate some apps as being allowed to run in the background forever, since even in these days of cloud blahblahblah I've still got a couple of things dependent on that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roadie posted:

This definitely makes the iPad closer to use as a general purpose computer. For me the remaining big thing before it could potentially replace a laptop is being able to manually designate some apps as being allowed to run in the background forever, since even in these days of cloud blahblahblah I've still got a couple of things dependent on that.

I’d also like to be able to play multiple audio tracks at once. It’s annoying as gently caress to be listening to something, have some lovely website take priority then stop whatever I’m doing, find the app I was using, and restart it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Isn't it odd they aren't using an A13X? Is this the first time they've done this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ddogflex posted:

Isn't it odd they aren't using an A13X? Is this the first time they've done this?

The 12X is still kinda overpowered for 95% of use cases thanks to the limitations of the OS and ecosystem.

Apple probably rightly thought they could save some money on the chipset and put the savings into the fancy laser camera that I’m sure developers will take full advantage of.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah I don’t see the need to update the chip at this time, frankly. My first gen fat pro is still very quick.

Also, I’m glad they put good cameras on it. I think it makes a lot of sense, to be honest.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Now that my impulse buy phase is over, might wait until 2021/22 for the redesign and miniLED. As nice as the new keyboard (and a fuckin' sensibly charging pencil) would be it's really hard to justify unless my current one becomes unusable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

So if I don’t want a keyboard and won’t use the camera, I should probably just get the previous model when it goes on sale?

Main uses are browsing and drawing. More than anything I want to get my foot into the Pencil 2 door and I can use my 11 Pro for reference photos.

Sounds like a plan.

I know I'm not getting the newer model. But I will likely get that keyboard for my 2018 iPad Pro.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Agreed, I'm still painfully on an iPad Air 1, but the fact that this didn't even go to an A13X is making me realize that if I bought now, it would just be as obsolete as the previous model in the coming years. I'm gonna wait yet again...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

Agreed, I'm still painfully on an iPad Air 1, but the fact that this didn't even go to an A13X is making me realize that if I bought now, it would just be as obsolete as the previous model in the coming years. I'm gonna wait yet again...

All the Pros are obscenely overpowered for iOS. Even the 1st gen Pros, which are 4 years old, are still chugging along just fine.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I went from the first-gen Air to the third-gen and regret nothing, I don’t need the extra speed or fancier camera and I don’t care for FaceID.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I will probably stick with the TouchID variations of the iPad/iPhones for as long as it's reasonable. I don't like the swipe up gesture at all. I've helped family members with their newer devices and I just dislike it.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ok Comboomer posted:

The 12X is still kinda overpowered for 95% of use cases thanks to the limitations of the OS and ecosystem.

Apple probably rightly thought they could save some money on the chipset and put the savings into the fancy laser camera that I’m sure developers will take full advantage of.

Oh I don't think it's necessary AT ALL, it's just odd my phone has a generation newer chip than the laptop replacement.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Last Chance posted:

I will probably stick with the TouchID variations of the iPad/iPhones for as long as it's reasonable. I don't like the swipe up gesture at all. I've helped family members with their newer devices and I just dislike it.

Same. I upgraded my phone and hate that swipety poo poo. Why can't I have a button AND Face ID?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

So if I don’t want a keyboard and won’t use the camera, I should probably just get the previous model when it goes on sale?

Main uses are browsing and drawing. More than anything I want to get my foot into the Pencil 2 door and I can use my 11 Pro for reference photos.

Refurb store pricing dropped $130 this morning if you're looking for a deal. $550 for 64gb

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FTXN2LL/A/refurbished-11-inch-ipad-pro-wi-fi-64gb-space-gray

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ddogflex posted:

Oh I don't think it's necessary AT ALL, it's just odd my phone has a generation newer chip than the laptop replacement.

It is odd. Almost like Apple doesn't have a whole lot to add to the next couple of Pro editions so they're keeping the absolute newest bleeding edge chips for the next iteration. Which will hopefully have mini-LED.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kind of makes me wonder if we'll see them do a double release like they did with the iPad 3/4.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
10.5 iPad Pro here, I always keep wanting to upgrade because of the screen, but the 10.5 is fine , super fast and does what I need it to, so I will resist upgrading again

That said, for the screen alone I result couldn’t fault anyone on upgrading.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Duckman2008 posted:

10.5 iPad Pro here, I always keep wanting to upgrade because of the screen, but the 10.5 is fine , super fast and does what I need it to, so I will resist upgrading again

Yup, sticking with my 10.5 as well. Logitech announced this new kB with trackpad, I’ll probably pick this up:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/combo-touch.html?crid=1762

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not sure if you have seen the state of the world but it’s highly unlikely we see new stuff any time soon. Maybe summer at the earliest.

motherfucker

well i have had my pro for a few weeks now (third gen, 250gb or whatever it is) and I am very pleased so far.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Where’d you buy it from? You might be able to hassle them for a small refund

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
An Escape key would be nice IMO.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FCKGW posted:

Refurb store pricing dropped $130 this morning if you're looking for a deal. $550 for 64gb

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FTXN2LL/A/refurbished-11-inch-ipad-pro-wi-fi-64gb-space-gray

Are Apple refurbs basically brand new because yowza that’s not bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah a new casing, new screen, and a new battery. Arguably better than new

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Are Apple refurbs basically brand new because yowza that’s not bad.
They replace the screen, case, and battery, only retain the internals. They also carry a full warranty. So basically yeah.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

hatty posted:

Where’d you buy it from? You might be able to hassle them for a small refund

I actually got another week go return it, if I want to. Will spend the next few days thinking about it I guess

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My 10.5 pro is on its way out so I couldn’t mash buy fast enough last night. Ordered the new Pro 256 LTE with a keyboard folio knowing full well I will also order the new panic keyboard when it comes out in May.

Plus I will do the forever Apple care since my old pro started having major problems just out of warranty and for the first time Apple would not help. At least my old one works well enough it should pass the trade in test.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If you can get a 2018 on a good price, do it. It's an incredible machine. The only thing that has me lusting today is the new Magic Keyboard. If I were buying today and money was an consideration I probably would do the 2018. It's so powerful as is that unless you have some insane needs, you won't notice the extra power. The other features are neat but not game changing, IMO.

But that keyboard though.... get the 2018 refurb and use the savings to get that.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TraderStav posted:

If you can get a 2018 on a good price, do it. It's an incredible machine. The only thing that has me lusting today is the new Magic Keyboard. If I were buying today and money was an consideration I probably would do the 2018. It's so powerful as is that unless you have some insane needs, you won't notice the extra power. The other features are neat but not game changing, IMO.

But that keyboard though.... get the 2018 refurb and use the savings to get that.

I love my 18 until it had problems. The screen has hotspots. Magic side connector doesn’t work, and the magic keyboard also died separately (just plum gave up the ghost). Battery life is less than an hour.

If not for all those things I would plan on keeping it a long time. Instead YOLO new iPad time.

For those of you with a working 2018 Pro, they are awesome!!!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I love my 18 until it had problems. The screen has hotspots. Magic side connector doesn’t work, and the magic keyboard also died separately (just plum gave up the ghost). Battery life is less than an hour.

If not for all those things I would plan on keeping it a long time. Instead YOLO new iPad time.

For those of you with a working 2018 Pro, they are awesome!!!

Fwiw I recommend getting the battery replaced and keeping it. im quite sure they just gave me a new ipad for mine when I mailed it in. Screen lotto tho.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endless Mike posted:

They replace the screen, case, and battery, only retain the internals. They also carry a full warranty. So basically yeah.

drat do I get a new cord too?

Yeah I’m sold.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if you can turn the keyboard on the touchpad folio around and use it as a .. i don’t know what the right word for it is, but it’s when you prop your ipad up keyboardless. The old iPad folios let you turn them into a triangle wedge that would let you prop the ipad up.

Sometimes I just want my iPad to stand up but I don’t want a big honkin’ keyboard in front of it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mediaphage posted:

Fwiw I recommend getting the battery replaced and keeping it. im quite sure they just gave me a new ipad for mine when I mailed it in. Screen lotto tho.

Yeah, I did three rounds with online support and went to two different stores looking for any kind of relief. No dice. End result was them telling me to pound sand and buy a new device.

This device is the only bad experience I’ve had with Apple support in seriously 20+ years. And I was a Newton owner (twice!).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Wonder what the range and detail is on the Lidar. And apparently press is being shown some stuff:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/21185959/ipad-pro-lidar-scaner-augmented-reality-demo-hot-lava-game

ddogflex posted:

A5 -> A5X when they went to a Retina display.

Last Chance posted:

Fine with either for my phone, but for iPad I way prefer the swipe just cause it's a consistent gesture from the bottom, vs the home button being different sides/bottom depending how I'm using it.

Rolo posted:

drat do I get a new cord too?

Yeah I’m sold.
Pretty sure yeah. Apple refurbs are basically new, but in plain packaging.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Martytoof posted:

I wonder if you can turn the keyboard on the touchpad folio around and use it as a .. i don’t know what the right word for it is, but it’s when you prop your ipad up keyboardless. The old iPad folios let you turn them into a triangle wedge that would let you prop the ipad up.

Sometimes I just want my iPad to stand up but I don’t want a big honkin’ keyboard in front of it.

Wondering this as well. For $350 it loving better

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Also have the 10.5, but I ordered the new 11". My 10.5 is unfortunately one of those that has the white splotch on the screen, and it's getting worse as a second one starts growing above it. Now that the plague has me working from home I'm on the drat thing all day for non-vpn internet + teleconferencing, etc. I figured I'd indulge a bit.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tuna posted:

Also have the 10.5, but I ordered the new 11". My 10.5 is unfortunately one of those that has the white splotch on the screen, and it's getting worse as a second one starts growing above it. Now that the plague has me working from home I'm on the drat thing all day for non-vpn internet + teleconferencing, etc. I figured I'd indulge a bit.

The splotch really is awful. Mine is multi part and looks like a goldfish over a good 10-15% of the screen. That’s why I’m trading it in.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

The splotch really is awful. Mine is multi part and looks like a goldfish over a good 10-15% of the screen. That’s why I’m trading it in.

Trade in price seems terrible for this level of device. I'm probably just going to keep it around as a garage computer for sketching dimensions, google and spotify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

It's clearly a big problem across their supply line; when they replaced my 13-inch original iPP, the replacement developed several of them. It's very frustrating and makes me hesitant to buy another iPad soon - and this was within the past year.