Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Well, I got the job offer. Midway across the country from family, 40% pay raise and 60% WFH (100% currently). About the same amount of job security as my current gig.

I was pretty confident about taking the job but this rapidly accelerating cluster has me second guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Our company is an Avaya reseller and we run IP Office internally, but we're bailing on their whole offering since they shitcanned their monthly licensed IP Office service in favour of some collaboration with RingCentral. We always ran the latest software because we didn't really pay anything for it, but my team hived a bunch of numbers off to start testing Direct Routing with Teams, which has been working really well for a couple of months.

Go on...
I had to explain that we can't use SfB for phone calls because they never approved my request to trunk it to anything or buy a calling plan.
Then again $8/mo/user + a calling plan is a bit steep when most people already have cellphones already and it wouldn't be replacing our PBX.
However everyone seems to be under the impression that Teams is "this whole new thing that's nothing like Skype" so maybe...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hughmoris posted:

Well, I got the job offer. Midway across the country from family, 40% pay raise and 60% WFH (100% currently). About the same amount of job security as my current gig.

I was pretty confident about taking the job but this rapidly accelerating cluster has me second guessing.

Take the second job but don’t quit the first. Make all the money.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sickening posted:

Take the second job but don’t quit the first. Make all the money.

Outsource it for half the pay. It worked for that 1 guy for years.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Teams is fine but I wish I could disable the features we don't use instead of having 35 pointless tabs and buttons.

It's also just slow as gently caress, all the time. Even before COVID, it just seems like the client is janky.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anyone use Slack in a large org, and have a security team that's really paranoid about adding apps? Pretty much every app that does anything complicated has the ability to read your chat and in theory send it off to some random 3rd party that we don't have any formal legal relationship with. So either how do you get people OK without having a bare Slack without any apps (and how do you keep them from buying their own workspace for their group) or how do you get security to be OK with it?

I -am- the security team who is paranoid about apps. I hate that previous slack owners (who weren't part of IT) let anyone add any app. I keep asking the current owner to lock things down and get people to have apps vetted...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Generally in those situations, you're going to want upper management buy-in before security hears about it. Very few people yell as loudly as security can, so you're going to want to be in a position to tell, rather than ask.

You can also go with the assume an answer approach. Ask security in such a way that you've already decided that they've signed off. What controls can we put in place to secure our upcoming Slack deployment? We're going to be rolling out Slack soon, can you sign off on this list of administrators? For our upcoming Slack deployment, do you have a preference between SSO or not?

It's called an assumptive close. Just those kind of "I'm going to pretend you've already agreed, and I've moved onto the next question before you even realize what happened" types of questions. Salesmen use it all the time - any of you who get contacted by vendors get them routinely.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Very few people yell as loudly as security can

Exsqueeze me

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We're way beyond deciding if we'll have slack or how we auth. I spent a ton of time today vetting poll apps because the go to, Simple Poll, only allows 100 votes per month and other popular options can read messages so security freaked out.

Now a couple of people are asking for IFTT or Zapier integrations and by their nature they'll need a ton of permissions, but they also have the potential to add a ton of business value. Security is almost guaranteed to say no, but that's because they've got a singular focus of security as a 1 dimensional spectrum. So either I figure out how to get them comfortable with slack apps, or I make everybody comfortable having a barebones slack instance.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

In my experience Security will yell loudly about anything and everything, except if it's something that Security needs. In that case, its fine! No biggie!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Exsqueeze me

I mean you can yell loudly enough to get people banned, so it sounds pretty accurate.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh man I wish I could attend work meetings in MMOs

This is what Walking in Stations was supposed to be about, but CCP cancelled it :smith:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh man I wish I could attend work meetings in MMOs

There's always Second Life :v:.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's always Second Life :v:.

Can my Second Life character have a Second Life?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Still waiting for tasks in Teams.

its not perfect, but at least its there. Integrates with MS To Do as well.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 19, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Go on...
I had to explain that we can't use SfB for phone calls because they never approved my request to trunk it to anything or buy a calling plan.
Then again $8/mo/user + a calling plan is a bit steep when most people already have cellphones already and it wouldn't be replacing our PBX.
However everyone seems to be under the impression that Teams is "this whole new thing that's nothing like Skype" so maybe...

We're using a carrier hosted Direct Routing service which our provider is testing with us at the moment. If you just want a couple of extensions in Teams registered to an existing PBX as part of a transition then you could look at something like https://www.call2teams.com/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a group chat in skype. If I click on one of two people in the chat to start a new conversation with just them...skype just crashes. Everyone else in the chat I can start a direct conversation with.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

NPR Journalizard posted:

its not perfect, but at least its there. Integrates with MS To Do as well.

If I can't right click on a message and turn it into a task or reminder, it's not rally any more convenient that putting the task in any number of other places.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Matt Zerella posted:

The teams tab in Teams sucks rear end. Chat is fine but there's way too much white space. No self chat for notes/reminders.

Voice, video, collab is all fantastic.

Teams is fine to good.

The teams chat is more like reddit than chat. Each message is meant to be a thread of discussion on that topic, but in practice it's just thousands of threads responding to each other. It's poorly displayed and hard to use as intended.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Was wondering if anyone else has run into this. During $current_company on boarding we give options of either a macbook or windows laptop and we've run into users (programmers/developers) who chose a macbook, but seem to have never used them before, and we end up spending the first week troubleshooting stuff that I would assume would be second nature to anyone who has spent any time with mac os. Stuff on par with "why does [insert windows only program]'s installer not work?" or "how do I connect to wifi on this?"

Like I can see where HR or Finance or what ever would have issue, but if a programmer takes a macbook, they're not gonna just take one for shits n giggles right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Was wondering if anyone else has run into this. During $current_company on boarding we give options of either a macbook or windows laptop and we've run into users (programmers/developers) who chose a macbook, but seem to have never used them before, and we end up spending the first week troubleshooting stuff that I would assume would be second nature to anyone who has spent any time with mac os. Stuff on par with "why does [insert windows only program]'s installer not work?" or "how do I connect to wifi on this?"

Like I can see where HR or Finance or what ever would have issue, but if a programmer takes a macbook, they're not gonna just take one for shits n giggles right?

People will take what they believe is the coolest for status. It’s why in every office I have been in the folks with the standing desks who end up leaving have their old ones taken by those in charge. Of course they never end up using them, but it’s the status symbol that counts.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Really wishing I remembered to bring a USB > Ethernet dongle from the office, this Teams calling has been pretty rear end whether its VPN or Wifi shenanigans.
Either way any call I field gets to listen to my 4 year old hopping up and down at my feet shouting for attention/laughing/whining and just generally making noise.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

People will take what they believe is the coolest for status. It’s why in every office I have been in the folks with the standing desks who end up leaving have their old ones taken by those in charge. Of course they never end up using them, but it’s the status symbol that counts.

In my office that status symbol is softphone licenses. It's stupid.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Our company just confirmed an "exposure" in our primary office. They immediately evicted everyone and locked down the building / disabled cards for logging in for AT LEAST a week until it can get deep cleaned. One of my guys just got an alert that the devlab / testlab lost power and we're placing bets on if the power comes back before the generator runs out of fuel. We're unsure the last time it was tested but assume it has been maintenanced. If it goes down 2/3rds of our developers/QA lose ability to hit the test machines / Selenium grid and nobody can power it back on because they are to cheap to pay for DRAC / iLO lolololololol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So like 80% of the staff at one of our manufacturing facilities is sick but no one there wants to complain because they'll get sent home and they're afraid they won't get paid. And they all live pay check to pay check.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Virigoth posted:

Our company just confirmed an "exposure" in our primary office. They immediately evicted everyone and locked down the building / disabled cards for logging in for AT LEAST a week until it can get deep cleaned. One of my guys just got an alert that the devlab / testlab lost power and we're placing bets on if the power comes back before the generator runs out of fuel. We're unsure the last time it was tested but assume it has been maintenanced. If it goes down 2/3rds of our developers/QA lose ability to hit the test machines / Selenium grid and nobody can power it back on because they are to cheap to pay for DRAC / iLO lolololololol

Getting deep cleaned is going to do nothing unless everyone that's going to enter that building is going to get tested before they can come back, so it's all kinda pointless to even think about opening up again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The worst part of the loving rona is that it made me buy a printer for home, because both the libraries and my office are off-limits. gently caress.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

The worst part of the loving rona is that it made me buy a printer for home, because both the libraries and my office are off-limits. gently caress.

I hear carrying it around is supposed to be good exercise?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

nullfunction posted:

Lmao

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Defenestrategy posted:

Is it possible everyone else on their team is using a Mac so they assume they should use one as well?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nullfunction posted:

So I'm WFH, but a female manager mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her.

so I read the entire story for the first time in a while and decided that I don't need that in my post history. Just imagine I'm mad I didn't get a hug.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

It made me fire up my 3d printer again for the first time in months :shepface:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I'm WFH, but a female manager mine calls me at 1:00am today and asks me if I could print something on the computer for her and bring it over in the afternoon. "Hey yeah sure sure, whatever you need I'll help you, I'm all yours," I tell her.

so I read the entire story for the first time in a while and decided that I don't need that in my post history. Just imagine I'm mad I didn't get a hug.

:psyduck:

You've posted some crazy poo poo about :oldjob: but, uh, I'm not convinced your :newjob: is any better. 1 AM calls to ask for a printout? what the gently caress?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

nullfunction posted:

can someone tell me how to print a Project file?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You've posted some crazy poo poo about :oldjob: but, uh, I'm not convinced your :newjob: is any better. 1 AM calls to ask for a printout? what the gently caress?

The unemployment numbers coming out on the daily has totally eroded my backbone. I will probably be a yes man for the rest of the year. Now is the time to survive.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

All of my VPN poo poo is working and good though I am so tired of helping people provision accounts and do basic helpdesk tier tshooting of anyconnect...

It's not that loving complex and I gave you a document with pictures with the important parts highlighted :suicide:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You sweet summer child

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/3/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Goddamn, y'all don't know the printer panties goon story? Shameful.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

All of my VPN poo poo is working and good though I am so tired of helping people provision accounts and do basic helpdesk tier tshooting of anyconnect...

It's not that loving complex and I gave you a document with pictures with the important parts highlighted :suicide:

I have users calling me directly for VPN help. We have a 24/7 helpdesk and I have a team of sysadmins under me, I am the IT Director in the West. They refuse to read the incredibly easy to follow documents we have created and want someone to hold their hand thru every step. A VP called me yesterday at 7 PM as I was eating dinner with my family and I sent it to voicemail laughing. I give no shits at this time, if you could not be arsed to test your connectivity over the last six months, it sure the poo poo is not an emergency now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Goddamn, y'all don't know the printer panties goon story? Shameful.

Nvm I forgot about the panties detail.

E: wasn’t there another story about a goon who went to help fix a computer issue of a “good friend”, turned her webcam on to covertly be on all the time, was discovered and outed as a sex creep at school? That seems to be ringing a bell, but it’s possible I read it some other place.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 20, 2020