Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Games move more consoles than hardware, they always have, and they always will.

Example: Nintendo

Seeing people on Twitter like “XBOX ANNIHILATING PS5 IN SPECS, Microsoft wins the generation!” and I’m like “having a fancy car sucks if there’s nowhere to drive it!”

Look, they live vicariously through spec sheets. Actual games and pricing are irrelevant to them (see also Stadia cultist).

Granted I’m the person that still uses a 1080p TV with no intention of upgrading any time soon, so the hardware difference between the PS5 and the Series X is entirely irrelevant to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Let's pretend that we didn't know the xbox specs. Is what was revealed yesterday still 'wow, what a beast' or 'ah, I thought it would be better. Would the PS5 be regarded as a very powerful gaming machine anyway, that can rival top-ish PCs today? Or, is it generally undercooked.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I wouldn't dismiss the xbox so quickly because of lack of games, this generation it seemed like every other month microsoft was buying yet another gaming studio, it feels like they have been preparing quite a bit to come out swinging in the next generation. On the other hand there's the weird communication about there being no new Xbox exclusives, so what do I know

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

univbee posted:

This is going to get extremely weird with PC since storage is such a different beast there. How will a game designed to maximize the PS5's transfer rate work on PC, where there isn't really a good way to guarantee that you're going to get that kind of throughput? (and where you suddenly jump from games being able to run on a 5400 rpm drive to not running even if you have an SSD but it's connected over SATA)

It's pretty wild to have one aspect of this console that is something truly next-gen that significantly surpasses what you can do on PC right now. The PS5's SSD is something like 10x faster than a SATA SSD (what most PCs will have right now) and almost 2x faster than the fastest current NVMe drives you can get (newer ones out this fall will be faster as Cerny said).

Because PC game development is never going to target only the high-end, it could be some time before PC catches up in this respect. We could very well get games on PS5 that are unplayable on all but the most bleeding-edge PC.

Xbox has significantly more compute units, so the Ray Tracing will look better, but aside from this the consoles are very evenly matched and I don't think there will be much in them in terms of performance or image quality. Xbox has higher clock speeds but PS5 has faster storage, it'll be a few years before we see a real difference in performance, or these two things may very well balance each other out.

I think Sony will either sell it at cost for $449 and take a hit in the first year or it'll be $499. They won't go over $500. Xbox will be $599.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kanonvandekempen posted:

I wouldn't dismiss the xbox so quickly because of lack of games, this generation it seemed like every other month microsoft was buying yet another gaming studio, it feels like they have been preparing quite a bit to come out swinging in the next generation. On the other hand there's the weird communication about there being no new Xbox exclusives, so what do I know

Not really. They've been buying studios, sure, but that means they're only starting projects at/around that buy date. Whatever they start cooking isn't coming out for at least 2-3 years while Sony's had first-party developers almost certainly building a nice little library to kick out the door on Day One.

MZ posted:

I think Sony will either sell it at cost for $449 and take a hit in the first year or it'll be $499. They won't go over $500. Xbox will be $599.

My pet theory is Sony's waiting for Microsoft to announce their price first, so they can "...$299" them again.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 19, 2020

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
To me, eliminating load times and actual positional sound are not the usual higher numbers = better tech features. They're in a whole different category of meaningfulness for games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really dont think these consoles will be priced differently at all. The price of the harddrive in the PS5 is real expensive and its not like the rest of it is cheap either.

Im gonna laugh, uh, more, when the PS5 crushes the theoretically more powerful Stadia in head to head gaming comparisons assuming Stadia limps to november

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

henpod posted:

Let's pretend that we didn't know the xbox specs. Is what was revealed yesterday still 'wow, what a beast' or 'ah, I thought it would be better. Would the PS5 be regarded as a very powerful gaming machine anyway, that can rival top-ish PCs today? Or, is it generally undercooked.

Yes. It blows out the PS4 specs everywhere if we are only comparing the two (and I was, I do not count the xbox because it does not matter to me) I was already comparing it to the PS4. Better SSD specs than the kind of stuff we have in desktops is absolutely a game changer for loading and data use.

Plus I know that Sony cares about exclusive games that will take advantage. I know that we will have more God of War, Horizon, probably Spider-man amongst other things that take advantage of the console.

Plus I have a RTX 2070 in my PC and have played ray traced Quake II. The lighting in that was absolutely incredible and seeing any sort of implementation of it on a new console is a great step towards it being mainstream.

Very excited for it :D

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Barudak posted:

I really dont think these consoles will be priced differently at all. The price of the harddrive in the PS5 is real expensive and its not like the rest of it is cheap either.

Im gonna laugh, uh, more, when the PS5 crushes the theoretically more powerful Stadia in head to head gaming comparisons assuming Stadia limps to november

I'm sure the service would've been a great success if not for the virus, alas

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Knack 3 will load so fast that the game will be finished before you play it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Stadia has never been anything beyond theoretical. The infrastructure does not exist for streamed gaming to work as a mainstream platform on a large scale.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tacier posted:

I’d be amazed if Sony released this console at the same price as the Series X considering the 9.2TF (unboosted) vs 12TF schism. They’ve got indisputably inferior hardware this time around, so they need to undercut Microsoft, ideally by $100, but $50 might be enough.

Xbox Series X versus PS5 is going to be very interesting for sure.

If we go with the assumption that the numbers on paper are truly indicative of reality, and the Xbox Series X is actually 20-25% more powerful, I'm curious how that would manifest in multiplats. For comparison, going with the same metrics, the Xbox One X is a full 50% more powerful than the PS4 Pro and has 4 extra gigs of RAM, and while there are a few games that look noticeably better on the One X, in the vast majority of cases it's a minute resolution bump or even parity between the two versions. In more pronounced cases it's like 1440p vs 4K resolution. This time around if those numbers bear out we're probably looking closer at numbers like 1800p vs 4K, or 4K with occasional drops to 1800p vs 4K locked.

It's looking like the PS5 design philosophy is gonna be different from the Series X, though.

- I suspect the Series X is almost universally going to have cross-generation multiplats out the gate, especially if it's going to cost what we think. It may not even have any generation exclusives or true exclusives at all in its first year. We know Halo Infinite will still run on a regular Xbox One. This will limit how the game can be designed due to, once again, needing a core game design that works with a 5400rpm drive, a low-powered GPU, and 32 megs of ESRAM. What is there may "look best" on it out of all the consoles if you're an obsessive pixel counter, though.

- The PS5, on the other hand, is much more likely to have actual exclusive games on it starting at launch, titles that will not run on a PS4 or PS4 Pro or have a separate version for those consoles. While the Xbox Series X also has a fast SSD it's only half the speed of the PS5's, and if that speed were adequate for what Cerny was talking about I don't think they'd have gone to what had to be some pretty insane engineering lengths to hit the speeds they did (we're literally talking about speeds on SSDs that aren't even available today for PC), and would have settled for speeds closer to the Series X's.

If some launch titles on PS5 really knock it out of the park it could be the equivalent of the Series X fans bragging they have the prettiest, true 4K version of Red Dead Redemption 1, while the PS5 exclusively has Red Dead Redemption 2, that kind of leap.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

repiv posted:

The rumour is that Microsoft are starting at the top this time, releasing the high-spec XBSX first while still selling the XB1, then their mid-cycle refresh will be a lower spec XBSX codenamed Lockhart that replaces the XB1 as the budget option.

This is a really interesting strategy combined with no first party series x exclusives for 1-2 years.

It means there won't be many games to really wow you on series x, just loads faster with higher resolution probably. But at the same time, game releases are pretty limited for the first year or two on a new console. For a year and a half the most interesting new Gen releases were probably infamous second son (people were very disappointed in the length of the game, but it did look very good!) and bloodborne.

I'm probably just going to buy the ps5 at launch because I know I'll be waiting to play their exclusive games as soon as possible and I'll grab a series x to replace my Xbox one x once it starts getting cheap and actually starts having exclusives (I haven't even paid for a game for my Xbox in over a year thanks to game pass)

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
For multi-plats I think at worst the only real difference will be some games will have nicer ray tracing on Xbox or PS5 will render at a sub-4k* resolution but it won't be a deal-breaker.

*(1800p or something, as oppose to the full 2160p, but that's still a lot more than what the PS4 can do and unless you have your face mushed against your TV you really aren't going to be able to tell.)

The fact that even really high-end PCs today struggle to hit a full 2160p/60fps I wonder if either of these consoles will hit that consistently through the generation. (We go back to 30fps again :( ).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MZ posted:

(We go back to 30fps again :( ).

This is my absolute worst nightmare and I guarantee you it will happen

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What first party studios can provide a PS5-only exclusive for launch, or even the first year? Naughty Dog is busy with TLOU2 for PS4, Ghost of Tsushima is still due for PS4, God of War & Spiderman both came out in 2018 after long dev cycles so Santa Monica & Insomniac won't have had time to get something ready for launch, Polyphony Digital is... yeah... and who else do they have? It took Media Molecule an entire generation to release Dreams and since the PS3 glory days Sony has shut down great studios or abandoned their funding left and right (RIP Studio Liverpool). All I can think of as being free to put something out is Sony Japan? They don't have a great track record when it comes to good games but I don't know who else they can rely on for a launch game unless they pay out for third party exclusivity? Maybe if they crunch like crazy they might be able to squeeze something out of Guerilla Games? They managed Killzone for the PS4 launch but it wasn't very good and they needed a solid 4 years to get Horizon done after that.

I'm guessing they're going to do exactly what Microsoft is doing and rely on TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima as cross-gen games to keep them afloat at launch. Naughty Dog remembered multiplayer is an important thing that exists in gaming so I'm placing bets on the multiplayer component/standalone for TLOU2 will be the first major PS5-only exclusive. Sony's first party studios are stretched too thin and take a long time to make games, it's why so many conferences are just "Here's an update on the same game you saw last year, and the year before, and the year before that..." without much new. They'll probably have some great trailers to show for launch, but I'd expect a 2-3 year wait for actual release. Maybe they persuaded From Software to go back to Souls games and make a new Bloodborne for them?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The SSD and audio stuff have me pretty excited. My only experience with 3D audio is on the PSVR and that stuff is genuinely impressive, but obviously this Tempest thing is going to be something far more advanced than that. Also it supports the move to wireless VR since the audio tech is in the console itself this time around.

Also I've always figured the 30fps but ~*prettier graphixx*~ thing was mostly due to the days when screenshots were crucial for marketing but now that most marketing is done through trailers and gameplay videos, surely it would make more sense to aim for higher framerates more frequently even if it sacrifices visual fidelity a bit. I dunno. No more loading times is a loving godsend and single-handedly the most important thing next-gen can bring, but I never again want to play a game that drops below a rock-solid 30fps, or 60fps if that's the aim. Things looking nice hardly matters if the game plays like rear end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No no, itll be called variable uncapped rate because occasionally itll go over 30

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Time to bust out a classic:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

kanonvandekempen posted:

MS has a proven track record of destroying what makes the studios they buy beautiful and the things that made them seem like a legit threat to Sony (Halo, Gears of War, Gold, the fact that Sony beefed it with weird hardware in ps3) were last relevant almost a decade ago. It’s fairly easy to dismiss them quickly because so far they haven’t shown themselves to be doing anything different than they did last this gen, except while taking a lot more studios down with them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I missed the whole reveal of specs and so. Is there non huge list of features from Cerny's video?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Made it to Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne and got absolutely loving wrecked, I think I got one hit in. I can see why you all were saying it's such a hard fight. I'll give it another attempt or two but I'm not sure I have the patience to keep throwing myself at it. Getting close to being finished with everything else, as far as I know it's just a couple of optional bosses left and then the ending.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh definitely. Tech keeps pushing for higher resolution when they in most cases they barely make 1080p stable at 60fps.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gey muckle mowser posted:

Made it to Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne and got absolutely loving wrecked, I think I got one hit in. I can see why you all were saying it's such a hard fight. I'll give it another attempt or two but I'm not sure I have the patience to keep throwing myself at it. Getting close to being finished with everything else, as far as I know it's just a couple of optional bosses left and then the ending.

no shame in summoning for help.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Necrothatcher posted:

no shame in summoning for help.

yeah I'll probably have to. I've used NPC summons for a couple fights but haven't summoned other players yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The processor might be slower, but wouldn't that bandwidth and transfer speed mean they can shuffle a lot more assets a lot quicker? If so, I think PS5 games will ultimately end up looking WAY prettier than Xbox ones.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

the whole 'less CUs' thing was mentioned in the video, he said they're equivalent to 52 because they physically had more transistors did he not?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This reminds me of the early 2000s CPU days where everyone was jacking off about MHz comparisons when there is way more speed to that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

This reminds me of the early 2000s CPU days where everyone was jacking off about MHz comparisons when there is way more speed to that.

lol poo poo you ain’t wrong

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

socialsecurity posted:

I remember my friend in middle school bragging about his family's new 220Mhz Gateway PC. I didn't think anything could top that. Monopoly looked so drat good on it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does anyone have a preferred farming spot for Sekiro? I wanna goof around with all the prosthetics I never used but would rather just spend an hour or two and grind up to like a billion spirit talismans instead of having to take frequent breaks.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
tonights the night!

edit: the twitter user is NSFW but who gives a poo poo about their kinks, world is ending.

https://twitter.com/ichduhernz/status/1231671673532928000

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 19, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That guys twitter is definitely NSFW, also questionable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't wait to listen to the Doom Eternal soundtrack and lift weights

:tutbutt:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bust Rodd posted:

Does anyone have a preferred farming spot for Sekiro? I wanna goof around with all the prosthetics I never used but would rather just spend an hour or two and grind up to like a billion spirit talismans instead of having to take frequent breaks.

https://youtu.be/Dc7KzmEVv9g

These are the farming routes I followed, specifically the first one mentioned in the video for easy early-game XP.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That guys twitter is definitely NSFW, also questionable

lol i only saw that one post. but uhhh now that you mention it. :eyepop:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yo who didn’t open palm slam that turbo button

BisterdDave posted:

I remember my friend in middle school bragging about his family's new 220Mhz Gateway PC. I didn't think anything could top that. Monopoly looked so drat good on it.

They were definitely overpriced, but they had a convenient niche business model, and I got almost 10 years out of the one I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

I literally don't care about any of this gibberish because the PS5 will let me play Bloodborne Life of Black Tiger 2.